PDA

View Full Version : Keeping the pedal to the metal on offense

BlitzburghRockCity
10-10-2011, 10:21 AM
That's what we all have been waiting to see consistently from this team for years, but we only ever get a glimpse of now and then.

Keeping your foot on the gas as an offense, not letting up just because you have a 2 or 3 possession lead on the other team. You keep scoring, keep moving the ball, and don't let up in intensity one bit. That allows you to have more breathing room should the defense give up some quick scores like we saw yesterday against the Titans.

After the Titans scored and successfully executed an onsides kick there was a slight feeling of worry that I'm sure started to come over the fans. Thinking, here we go again with the same old Steelers. You get a lead and then you sit on it.

Thankfully Woodley was able to come down with the interception and then the offense was able to get the momentum back. In the end, the big play though was the long touchdown to Wallace to put the game on ice. Rather than just running the game and eating up the clock, they used their weapons to ensure the win wouldn't get away from them.

Stone
10-10-2011, 10:39 AM
That's what we all have been waiting to see consistently from this team for years, but we only ever get a glimpse of now and then.

Keeping your foot on the gas as an offense, not letting up just because you have a 2 or 3 possession lead on the other team. You keep scoring, keep moving the ball, and don't let up in intensity one bit. That allows you to have more breathing room should the defense give up some quick scores like we saw yesterday against the Titans.

After the Titans scored and successfully executed an onsides kick there was a slight feeling of worry that I'm sure started to come over the fans. Thinking, here we go again with the same old Steelers. You get a lead and then you sit on it.

Thankfully Woodley was able to come down with the interception and then the offense was able to get the momentum back. In the end, the big play though was the long touchdown to Wallace to put the game on ice. Rather than just running the game and eating up the clock, they used their weapons to ensure the win wouldn't get away from them.

I think we saw the entire package yesterday. The offensive play calling was smart for a change which forced the Titans to throw the ball and we saw that our pass D really is good and not just the result of our run D being like a broken sieve which it had been prior to yesterday.

It was a thing of beauty and I for one have ultimate faith that LeBeau can carry his end.........let's see if BA can go for two in a row!

LatrobePA
10-10-2011, 10:48 AM
A min of 38 points is what I expected going into this season, we have way too many weapons not too!!

Troyisabeast_43
10-10-2011, 10:57 AM
I loved the eff you TD to Wallace at the end of the game that put the Steelers up by 21 and ended any remote chance the Titans did have of making a comeback. That's what the good teams do they put an exclamation point on their work like the Steelers did yesterday...

BlitzburghRockCity
10-10-2011, 12:37 PM
The ultimate question is, will they continue this line of thinking?

Have Bruce Arians and Mike Tomlin finally seen enough of Ben getting crushed, have they finally seen their running game going nowhere to realize what they need to do? With so much talent at the skill positions there's no reason not put up 30 points a week anyone. That's assuming the offensive line can stick with a consistent group of 5 people and and start to build some cohesiveness.

steelersbabex25
10-10-2011, 12:56 PM
The prevent defense does not help very much.

Rampage
10-10-2011, 01:17 PM
That could be the first time I have ever seen the Steelers step on the throat of an opponent in my life. I was waiting for them to completely let off the gas, stop the clock with an incomplete pass and let them back in with an easy TD on a soft zone. I was obviously shocked. :lol:

BlitzburghRockCity
10-10-2011, 09:02 PM
I think they stepped on the throat of the Panthers last year late in the season, but I know where you're coming from Rampage, LOL. It's so exciting to see this team keep rolling up the points and leaving no doubt as to who deserved to win this game. Keep any thought of a come back out of the minds of the opposition. If they score, you score, if they don't, you still score. I can't tell you how nice I felt knowing that with 5 minutes to go I was confident in the win. How often does that happen?

LarryNJ
10-10-2011, 09:56 PM
There seems to be more instances this year of teams giving up huge leads. Or maybe that's just the Dream Team doing that. :lol:

Our offense has certainly under achieved up until this week. I think they will start to find a groove and get the consistency needed to be 30 + points a game.

LatrobePA
10-10-2011, 10:29 PM
Keep it going!!

SteelCurtain17
10-11-2011, 06:31 PM
This was the week when this offense played like the Steelers offense should. They were able to run the ball very effectivly and that set up the passing game. Ben had a gutsy effort playing with the foot sprain. I give credit to that entire offense. Now can they keep this up? That is the question.

nuclearchihuahuas
10-11-2011, 08:27 PM
I think they stepped on the throat of the Panthers last year late in the season, but I know where you're coming from Rampage, LOL. It's so exciting to see this team keep rolling up the points and leaving no doubt as to who deserved to win this game. Keep any thought of a come back out of the minds of the opposition. If they score, you score, if they don't, you still score. I can't tell you how nice I felt knowing that with 5 minutes to go I was confident in the win. How often does that happen?

they need to crush several more tracheas before I will be ok with the start of this season. But I am terribly pleased with the effort against the Titans. I hope the D get 10 turnovers against the Jags so we can get back to even and not be the worst in the league.

Goodfrom55
10-11-2011, 09:52 PM
As long as the Steelers take MJD out of the game, and don't commit 5 turnovers, Steelers should win this game comfortably.

STEELyourface
10-12-2011, 01:21 AM
There seems to be more instances this year of teams giving up huge leads. Or maybe that's just the Dream Team doing that. :lol:

Our offense has certainly under achieved up until this week. I think they will start to find a groove and get the consistency needed to be 30 + points a game.

It definitely felt like they finally "turned the corner" with that performance. I was encouraged to see Dwyer play the way he did. I had been hoping he would crack into the rotation, not by injury, but I would love to see him continue to get some carries when Mendy is back to 100%