PDA

View Full Version : Run defense finally looking like it should

steelersbabex25
10-09-2011, 04:59 PM
I know that all of us were waiting for this day to come. It was getting kind of tiring and, to be frank, confusing for us a fanbase to see such a dominant unit in the front 7 from last year just get completely chewed up and spit out in every game thus far. Finally, they looked like they had some idea what was going on. Maybe this is just more proof that players on our defensive line should be subbed in and out periodically during a game to keep them fresh. It sure did the trick today.

I guess we won't know if it's just because CJ hasn't been himself this entire season, but everyone and their mother has been saying that he would definitely break 100 yards for this game and beat up our "old" defense. Either way, it's something to be positive about.

JensK
10-09-2011, 05:03 PM
Titans just never run well against Steelers, so I was honestly not too surprised. Especially seeing that CJ have been awful so far in this season. Hoke was working wonders compared to Hampton though. Did not like Timmons a whole lot on the outside, but Woodley stepped up big time tonight. I'm still no fan of Hood, but he held his own somewhat... Keisel is amazing and Heyward is just a big big strong man!

BlitzburghRockCity
10-09-2011, 05:29 PM
You could see the fire in their eyes, the intensity, they were playing with a purpose. Mike Tomlin said this week; the run defense will improve when the running game on offense improves. The two go hand. When the offense runs the ball the defense is able to do their job better. They aren't on the field as long and that gives them time to make adjustments and game plan for what the opposition is doing. They came out with a purpose and intensity that has been invisible thus far in the 2011 season. Linebackers were crashing the line of scrimmage, the defensive line was getting off blocks and getting penetration. When they did string out the play they were able to stay in the gaps and keep Chris Johnson from cutting it up field for big chunks of yardage.

This is the type of defense we are used to seeing out of this group. The big is as I mentioned, the defensive line. When the front 3 can do their job it opens up everything else in the run stopping game plan. Chris Hoke had a great game, routinely in the backfield forcing Johnson to alter his planned route. Ziggy Hood had a much better game this week, clearly at home more on the left side of the line than the right. The defense may have been without Casey Hampton and Aaron Smith, 2 of the best ever at stopping the run but for today atleast, you'd never know they were missing.

It's like Lebeau said this week; the Steelers didn't suddenly forget how to play defense. Sometimes things just happen and you need to adjust your personnel and tweak your scheme a bit till you find the right combination for this years team.

steelchamp204
10-09-2011, 05:43 PM
I was impressed, well I knew the young guys could do it, they just needed the chance. Im glad for them, I saw some positives for sure. I was so stoked when Heyward got the sack/fumble. To bad we didnt recover it

Black@Gold Forever32
10-09-2011, 06:25 PM
Heyward is going to be a beast.....I want to see more and more of him.....

BlitzburghRockCity
10-09-2011, 07:38 PM
I heard on the pregame show, that Lebeau said he was well past "plan B" and was onto "plan G" :lol: Give him credit, he knows how to push the buttons of this team. I'm sure the coaches road them all week long about stepping up their game and taking care of their business.

LatrobePA
10-09-2011, 09:59 PM

Same here man...

Rampage
10-10-2011, 12:25 PM
You know what I saw? Guys flying to the ball. That was the biggest difference in my eyes.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-10-2011, 02:00 PM
Guys flying to ball instead of being blown off the ball was good to see. I even noticed Chris Hoke actually doing some type of leap or hop, if you can do that with a guy his size, over blockers that were trying to chop him. I had to do a double take, LOL.

As much as I love big ole Casey there's no way he's leaping over anyone.

SteelDad
10-10-2011, 02:28 PM
Obviously a huge improvement in the D. I thought McClendon did a nice job in there as well. Seemed like Coach Dad was running some new combinations out there on the DL. Having DaBeard back helped too.

nuclearchihuahuas
10-10-2011, 03:45 PM
I just hope they keep it together for the Jacksonville game. Total trap game and we have fallen into some traps lately.

steelersbabex25
10-10-2011, 04:33 PM
I just hope they keep it together for the Jacksonville game. Total trap game and we have fallen into some traps lately.

What traps? We lost to the Texans and Ravens. Neither of those were trap games.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-13-2011, 09:29 PM
They get yet another HUGE test this week. The Jags offense revolves around MJD. Stop him and you stop the Jags. If you don't stop in you're going to keep the Jags in the game late and that's a recipe for disaster. He's been a Steeler killer over the years.

The amount of good backs that this team has faced so far this year is pretty impressive. Once the bye hits things calm down some but they still will have guys like Hillis, Benson, and Gore to deal with. I'm not real worried about Benson or Hillis too much but Gore is a beast.

Black@Gold Forever32
10-13-2011, 09:40 PM
Gore is a beast but its just a matter of time before he is hurt once again...lol

BlitzburghRockCity
10-13-2011, 09:45 PM
Don't forget about the Patriots running game, that dude Ben Jarvis Green Purple Orange Blue Ellis dude has been running like a beast. The Pats have really been concentrating on the run game these last couple weeks. I don't even want to think about that game yet, LOL.

Black@Gold Forever32
10-13-2011, 09:48 PM
Don't forget about the Patriots running game, that dude Ben Jarvis Green Purple Orange Blue Ellis dude has been running like a beast. The Pats have really been concentrating on the run game these last couple weeks. I don't even want to think about that game yet, LOL.

The Law Firm is no joke at RB...He has been damn good so far and had a nice year last year.....Woodhead is solid as well....The Pats have two rookie RB's as well.....

BlitzburghRockCity
10-14-2011, 12:01 PM
Interestingly, the last time the Steelers played the Jags, I think MJD had something like 8 yds rushing total in the game. However in the past as we all know he's more than capable of shredding a defense.

I'm still not convinced the Bengals running game with Cedric Benson is anything to be worried about either this season.

TheFizzman
10-14-2011, 12:35 PM
The Law Firm is no joke at RB...He has been damn good so far and had a nice year last year.....Woodhead is solid as well....The Pats have two rookie RB's as well.....

The Law Firm is no joke, BUT i think he is the type of runner the steelers can stop. The NE running back i would be worried about is that quick nibble never goes down lil guy named Danny Woodhead. He can cause the most damage on the ground to the steelers cause he is quick and small, an idea i believe as to why ray rice seems to have success against the black and gold. Come NE game tho, our DB's need to be ready to play, and we gotta hit brady bunch and make him uncomfortable in the pocket. :cope:

K Train
10-14-2011, 01:59 PM

best 5 tech in the draft and that hasnt changed so far.....i get pumped when theres a heyward sighting, havent been disappointed yet

K Train
10-17-2011, 11:57 AM
hood looks great, i mean great as a NT.

hood looks like ****, and i mean **** as a DE.

its seriously baffling

BlitzburghRockCity
10-17-2011, 07:25 PM
I think he's playing better and better on the left side. It's clearly his comfort zone having played there most of last year and now a few games this year. I like him at LDE with the ability to come in at NT when needed. I certainly wouldn't put him above Hoke at NT yet.

JensK
10-18-2011, 06:34 AM
McLendon is actually not half-bad at NT. Not saying he is future starter potential but he appears to be a Hoke kind of backup so far.