PDA

View Full Version : The trickeration Fake Punt; just what the doctor ordered

BlitzburghRockCity
10-09-2011, 05:27 PM
Tomlin mentioned in the post game presser that they didn't want to leave "any bullets in the gun". They knew they needed to get a fast start and not just into a 3 and out situation. Now was not the time to sit back and "do what we do".

This also, along with the short passing game that we're talking about is just what the Steelers offense needed. Nobody on the Titans saw that coming at all. Finnegan took off running down the field as soon as the ball was snapped and never even saw Mundy catch the ball. Wasn't the prettiest pass by Sepulveda but as long as it got there, that's all that counts, LOL. This is the kind of ingenuity and unpredictable nature that you have to have. I hope we see it more often but I'm not holding my breath.

All in all, it was a key play in the entire game. If they just punt it away the offense walks off the field after another missed opportunity and who knows what would have happened. Not that I'm foolish enough to say that the Steelers would have lost had they not run the fake punt, but I think it gave them a momentum boost early and kept the Titans on their heels.

steelersbabex25
10-09-2011, 05:29 PM
That was an awesome play. Perfectly executed, perfectly timed, just perfect.

Troyisabeast_43
10-09-2011, 05:37 PM
It was the turning point in the game for sure that kind of gave the Steelers a ton of momentum and broke Tennessee right before halftime with the Johnson TD...

BlitzburghRockCity
10-09-2011, 06:25 PM
I'm curious to know how much they practiced that particular play this week. I know the coaches have said in the past that the team works on special teams situations like that on a regular basis but you had to think they gave alittle extra attention to it this week to make sure they got it right. Also to make sure that DSep knew if the pass wasn't going to be there to have a backup plan in place.

steelchamp204
10-09-2011, 07:07 PM
Thats a steeler moment I wont forget with my dad, we were going nuts haha.

HUNT4SEVEN
10-09-2011, 07:27 PM
:clap::clap::clap::clap: That was a great play congrats to Tomlin for okaying that play because that's not his style he stepped out side the box today for a change.

LatrobePA
10-09-2011, 08:57 PM
I liked it, we needed it, I liked it, did I mention I liked it?

steelchamp204
10-09-2011, 09:05 PM
I liked it, we needed it, I liked it, did I mention I liked it?

Did you like it though? :nahnah:

LatrobePA
10-09-2011, 09:12 PM
Did you like it though? :nahnah:

I did we went from looking like a bowl of grits to a 5 course meal!

steelersbabex25
10-09-2011, 09:18 PM
I did we went from looking like a bowl of grits to a 5 course meal!

I wouldn't say 5 course meal just yet. We're like a good appetizer and a big entree.

LatrobePA
10-09-2011, 09:25 PM
I wouldn't say 5 course meal just yet. We're like a good appetizer and a big entree.

Putting up 38 points, Ben 5 TD's, 174 yards rushing, thats pretty damn tasty!!

steelersbabex25
10-09-2011, 09:57 PM
Putting up 38 points, Ben 5 TD's, 174 yards rushing, thats pretty damn tasty!!

Against the Titans :dunno:

LatrobePA
10-09-2011, 10:14 PM
LOL nevermind...

You're the type that would ask for more if someone handed you a $ 100.00 bill!

Scorp
10-10-2011, 01:23 AM
That was a thing a beauty. Wasn't that absolutely beautiful?

steelersbabex25
10-10-2011, 01:27 AM
LOL nevermind...

You're the type that would ask for more if someone handed you a $ 100.00 bill!

No, but I would definitely question the validity of it if it was a homeless man handing it to me.

SteelDad
10-10-2011, 08:55 AM
The fake punt was beautifully executed and conceived but I'm going to be Debby Downer now... We have had two kicks blocked in two straight weeks and frankly, the Titans should have had the first extra point. We are not so good YET where we can continue to be that bad on ST and still win games. If that score counts, it's a 14-point game with 6+ minutes to go. Al Everest needs to shore up this issue ASAP.

Bucsfan4ever
10-10-2011, 09:07 AM
Tremendous!!...Great to see a surprise play like that from the Steelers!! :yellowthumb:

It was unbearable watching the Bucs! :banging:

75Steeler
10-10-2011, 09:29 AM
:cope: That entire game was cool. We shut down their run which wasn't an easy job then we pulled off the fake punt play and Redman came through with an awesome running game. We need to keep playing that old school type of Steeler football!

BlitzburghRockCity
10-10-2011, 10:11 AM
Finally, the Steelers abandoned their unimaginative game plan Sunday. They thumbed through the playbook and dialed up a handful of gimmick plays that rocked the bewildered Tennessee Titans.

Antonio Brown raced for 10 yards on a flanker reverse. They inserted an offensive lineman as an eligible receiver.

But it was punter Daniel Sepulveda who delivered the game-changing, momentum-swinging blow. He tossed a 33-yard pass to defensive back Ryan Mundy on a fake punt early in the second quarter that helped propel the Steelers to a convincing 38-17 victory at Heinz Field on Sunday.

The Sepulveda-Mundy connection was the key play during an eight-play, 70-yard scoring drive that put the Steelers up, 14-3. Hines Ward capped the drive two plays later with his first of two touchdown receptions from quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, a 7-yarder with 11:14 left in the first half.

"We weren't going to leave any bullets in the gun," said Steelers coach Mike Tomlin. "I saw an opportunity there, and I took advantage of it."

The Steelers took advantage of a Tennessee team that tipped its hand. They stacked the box, practically daring the Steelers to audible on fourth-and-5 at midfield.
"When they have an eight-man box and singling both gunners, that's a look they've shown when coming after the punter," said Sepulveda, whose pass gave the Steelers a first down at the Tennessee 17. "It was a film-study thing. They showed they like to come after the punt, and there are ways to get around that to take the pressure off."
The Titans, who grabbed a 3-0 lead on their first possession, never recovered from Sepulveda's second career pass completion and Mundy's first reception.
"I just had to make sure we had the right look," said Mundy, whose last catch came in 2002 during his senior year at Woodland Hills. "Anytime you get a big play on special teams, it gives you a boost. I was thinking, 'Just catch it,' when I saw the ball coming."

Sepulveda hadn't checked out of a punt since completing his first pass attempt, a 32-yarder to Najeh Davenport, in a 41-21 win over St. Louis during his rookie season in 2007.

The Steelers had done nothing this season to suggest they would call Sepulveda's number.

The Steelers worked on the fake punt only sparingly during practice last week. But Sepulveda worked out his throwing arm more than his leg during Friday's practice.
"I was just messing around in practice this week, but we always have that play in the bag," said Sepulveda, a left-footed kicker who throws righty. "Obviously, going into this week, we knew it was a possibility."

Still, for the second consecutive week, not all was right with the Steelers' special teams. Sepulveda had a punt blocked in the fourth quarter yesterday, and Shaun Suisham had a field goal try swatted down against Houston.

From the Trib (http://www.steeleraddicts.com/forum/Sepulveda%20to%20Mundy%20big%20moment%20for%20Stee lers%20-%20Pittsburgh%20Tribune-Review%20http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_761079.html#ixzz1aNrV5T7B)

JensK
10-10-2011, 10:14 AM
Against the Titans :dunno:

Against a Titans team which ranks 10th overall in total defense, so they are not exactly terrible defensively. It should be added though, that they've had a very easy schedule so far so that is something to take into account.