PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Redman and Dwyer combo, it's a keeper

BlitzburghRockCity
10-09-2011, 05:05 PM
Redman: 15 carries, 49 yds. 3 catches for 12 yds. He did leave with cramps in the 3rd quarter.
Dwyer: 11 carries for 107 yds.

Redman running like a bulldozer, straight up the field and dragging tacklers. He got the tough yards today, something we wanted to see how he could handle carrying the load as the main back. Just watching Redman run is so refreshing. No dancing, no wasted movement, just get the ball, hit the hole, and go to work. He secures the ball, lowers his head and isn't afraid to take on the defenders for that extra yard.

Dwyer's amazing first carry goes for 76 yds. There's no way he envisioned that when he took the field today but credit the blocking on the right side, Legursky sealed the lane and Dwyer burst right through it. He's come a long way since that run test at training camp. Who knew he had that kind of speed to boot.

The Steelers need to realize this is a what have you done for me lately league. Right now they need a jump start. They can't afford to go back to doing what they were doing the first 3-4 weeks in the NFL. Both players provided a spark and they should continue to get the workload. Now is not the time to " be partial' to the veterans just because. Run with the hot hand in my opinion.

Now, let's not kid ourselves here, credit the offensive line as well, as we're talking about in another thread. The running game is not about just the running back, if you don't have a line blocking it doesn't matter who is carrying the ball. However I still maintain that with a line who is struggling, you need a back with the style of Redmand and Dwyer right now. You don't forget about Mendenhall, let's not lose sight of him. He's still going to play a part in this offense but clearly the with the offensive line being a MASH unit, the running style of Redman and Dwyer is more effective right now.

Stairwayto7
10-09-2011, 05:11 PM
I agree, we need some extra picks in the draft, snd mendy and pick up a draft pick use if for a linemen.

steelersbabex25
10-09-2011, 05:13 PM
They are a sick combo. Hopefully this shakes BA's head lose a little bit and mixes them into the game along with Mendy a lot more.

Diehardsteel
10-09-2011, 05:18 PM
They're both bruisers, which I love. I saw Dwyer do little dancing. If he could eliminate that and run like he did on a few of his major runs we're golden. Sorry Mendy.

steelersbabex25
10-09-2011, 05:24 PM
Mendy was :banging: over there on the sidelines.

mwittman5
10-09-2011, 05:26 PM
Trade Mendenhall for at least a 2nd round pick and draft a tackle.

steelersbabex25
10-09-2011, 05:28 PM
Trade Mendenhall for at least a 2nd round pick and draft a tackle.

At this point, this scenario may not be completely out of the question. The Redman/Dwyer combo did huge things today. And it's not too expensive. But, I don't know if the coaching staff will see things the same way.

Mike Tomlin
10-09-2011, 05:37 PM
I think we still keep mendy but those other guys should definitely get more carries which we've all been saying. As far as Dwyer dancing thats what he is he can run through or around you, he's always made those long runs even in college because he surprises the D with how shifty and fast he is. When he hits the whole the D braces for impact and then he just steps around you changes gears lol.

Diehardsteel
10-09-2011, 05:38 PM
At this point, this scenario may not be completely out of the question. The Redman/Dwyer combo did huge things today. And it's not too expensive. But, I don't know if the coaching staff will see things the same way.

I'd be very surprised to see them let mendy go. As much as it makes sense, I don't think they'd do it.

SteelerEyeZ
10-09-2011, 05:38 PM
I have been silent all year because honestly I had nothing nice to say ( even the Seattle Game ). I must say I was very impressed today. They needed this as a Team. I have never liked Mendy he fumbles way to much (he did that in college too) Im sorry as a fellow wrestler of NJ who has wrestled Redman in HS when he went to Paulsboro NJ I must say he is a tough guy and I have been pulling for him ever since and loved to see him do well.

JensK
10-09-2011, 06:10 PM
I don't know.. I thought Redman was pretty bad. 3.2 ypc is not at all good. I'm not saying that Mendenhall would have been better, just saying that Redman is by no means the answer if he don't run better than that. I obviously like how he always hustles for more yards and whatnot, but 3.2 is not going to cut when we start playing teams like Patriots.
Dwyer was money though.

steelersbabex25
10-09-2011, 06:13 PM
I don't know.. I thought Redman was pretty bad. 3.2 ypc is not at all good. I'm not saying that Mendenhall would have been better, just saying that Redman is by no means the answer if he don't run better than that. I obviously like how he always hustles for more yards and whatnot, but 3.2 is not going to cut when we start playing teams like Patriots.
Dwyer was money though.

When I saw that he only had 50 yards, I was thinking there's no way. I think this is definitely one of the cases where the stats don't tell the whole story.

JensK
10-09-2011, 06:18 PM
When I saw that he only had 50 yards, I was thinking there's no way. I think this is definitely one of the cases where the stats don't tell the whole story.

Yet they have a strange way of doing so. I think its more a case of people liking how he, from time to time, gets some yards after the initial contact. This is obviously a great thing to have in a RB, but he is a one-trick pony. He gets the ball, finds a gap and run to it. That is why he is great later in the game where there the gap integrity is less than in the start of the game. Currently, he is pretty much running just as well as Mendenhall which really is a concern. In my opinion at least.

Blazedby92
10-09-2011, 06:19 PM
Did you see the game, stats are just that stats, the one to punch not scared to get those hard yards, and also Dywer wasn't the better one hell he did alright with a couple good runs but he danced too much and drops his head before he hits the hole but all in all good combo now get spindarella out there to use his speed to the sidelines and we can have a 3 headed monster.

JensK
10-09-2011, 06:23 PM
Did you see the game, stats are just that stats, the one to punch not scared to get those hard yards, and also Dywer wasn't the better one hell he did alright with a couple good runs but he danced too much and drops his head before he hits the hole but all in all good combo now get spindarella out there to use his speed to the sidelines and we can have a 3 headed monster.

Of course I saw the game. I am not as such a stat whore, but they hardly ever lie. Dwyer did dance a lot and has been prone to do so throughout his stay with Steelers, yet he also offers a bigger potential big-play threat that Redman. Since I use stats to prove my point with Redman is that he had enough yards to actually use them. Anyway, I still think that the only reason people like Redman right now is because he actually hit gaps hard, which Mendenhall does not. Does that make him a great RB though? Or does it just prove that Mendenhall have been horribad so far?

Diehardsteel
10-09-2011, 06:32 PM
I'd go redman over mendy any day. I like Mendy but I like the upside of Redman much more.

steelersbabex25
10-09-2011, 06:35 PM
I'd go 50-50 Redman/Mendy anyday.

JensK
10-09-2011, 06:38 PM
I'd go redman over mendy any day. I like Mendy but I like the upside of Redman much more.

I'm really not trying to be a downer here, but I just don't see how Redman has more upside than Mendenhall. Redman is a one-trick pony with everything that comes with it. To quote Tomlin: It is what it is. You're not going to see Redman have a season like the one Mendenhall had yesterday, unless Redman starts running differently. He is a great change-of-phase back and he hurts the defense when he is in there. I'm just not convinced that he can accumulate enough yards to make him a valid every down back.

tl:dr:
Mendenhall from last year > Redman any day of the week.
Redman > Mendenhall right now.
Upside-wise: Mendenhall > Redman (Imo by a stretch).

steelchamp204
10-09-2011, 06:42 PM
Redman is my boy, well you guys all know this lol. So you know where im at on this

Diehardsteel
10-09-2011, 06:44 PM
I'm really not trying to be a downer here, but I just don't see how Redman has more upside than Mendenhall. Redman is a one-trick pony with everything that comes with it. To quote Tomlin: It is what it is. You're not going to see Redman have a season like the one Mendenhall had yesterday, unless Redman starts running differently. He is a great change-of-phase back and he hurts the defense when he is in there. I'm just not convinced that he can accumulate enough yards to make him a valid every down back.

tl:dr:
Mendenhall from last year > Redman any day of the week.
Redman > Mendenhall right now.
Upside-wise: Mendenhall > Redman (Imo by a stretch).

It's simple for me, Mendenhall is an average back. That's why most are thinking, why not trade him for a 2nd round pick? That's not an insane thought, though unlikely to happen. I just like Redman...alot. Like I said, NOTHING against mendy. I'll root for anyone who will help this team win and be successful. I'm just not sure Mendy is our back of the future. I honestly think Baron Batch comes back and really gives mendy a run for his money.

JensK
10-09-2011, 06:48 PM
Well, if everyone knows that Mendenhall is an average back, we're not going to get a second round pick for him regardless. He was 7th last year in rushing and 16th the year before, although that was with 5 or 6 games fewer than the other backs. I'd say that is above average. Like I've said, I agree that Mendenhall have been bad so far this season, and Redman probably have been better. I just don't agree with him being able to be a feature back, which tonight also showed me. Sure, the o-line is total trash right now, but the line have not exactly been great the last two years either.

steelchamp204
10-09-2011, 06:57 PM
Well, if everyone knows that Mendenhall is an average back, we're not going to get a second round pick for him regardless. He was 7th last year in rushing and 16th the year before, although that was with 5 or 6 games fewer than the other backs. I'd say that is above average. Like I've said, I agree that Mendenhall have been bad so far this season, and Redman probably have been better. I just don't agree with him being able to be a feature back, which tonight also showed me. Sure, the o-line is total trash right now, but the line have not exactly been great the last two years either.

I think this is the first time in two years this line has looked so good. Ben was only sacked once, got rid of it quicker due to BA calls. Some good running lanes and wasnt alot of pressure mon Ben at all.

Diehardsteel
10-09-2011, 06:58 PM

Agreed for the most part. Maybe he is slightly above average. He has his moments but like I said, I don't think he's the long term answer. And as of now, we'd have more success with the Redman/Dwyer or Redman/memo combo. But then again, the o-line did look better. Maybe he comes out and plays a little better with the addition of Starks next week. Who knows.

JensK
10-09-2011, 07:03 PM
I think this is the first time in two years this line has looked so good. Ben was only sacked once, got rid of it quicker due to BA calls. Some good running lanes and wasnt alot of pressure mon Ben at all.

I would say that is because the human is pretty good at selective memory :P The o-line actually had glimpses of looking very good at times last year. It is just not easy to remember that Steelers ever had an o-line :( The line did look very good today though, especially compared to the rest of the season.

Black@Gold Forever32
10-09-2011, 07:17 PM
Mendenhall has more god given natural talent then Redman for sure.....I do think Redman has better vision and is a better fit with this current OL.........

Mike Tomlin
10-09-2011, 07:35 PM

I'm with you i'm not a stat guy i'm a situational guy my self. To prove a point lets just take that 3.2 yards stat, if he carries twice thats a little over 3rd and 3 how is that not productive? He got the tough yards we needed and he took what was there along with stealing a yard or two. Another way he affects the game is with Mendy one person can bring him down, with Redman you have to gang tackle him which makes running the playaction with him more effective because the whole D is on alert. With that said no way is he a feature back but he needs a lot more carries then he was getting when Mendy was starting

jpele
10-09-2011, 09:00 PM
I don't know.. I thought Redman was pretty bad. 3.2 ypc is not at all good.

For the season Redman YPC are 4.2 Mendy YPC 3.0.

If you want to take it one game at at time as you have, against Houston Mendenhall AVG 2.8 Redman AVG 6.7

Colts game Mendy 2.1 Redman 2.0

Seahawks mendy 3.5 Redman 4.9

Ravens Mendy 3.8 Redman 4.0

steelchamp204
10-09-2011, 09:13 PM
He might have had bad stats but how many yards did he get after contact? Probably 25 yards

Big T
10-10-2011, 12:33 AM
All this trade Mendenhall **** is driving me crazy. He has his faults but he's clearly the best back we have. It just so happens the offensive line played it's best game of the season, by far, today and Mendenhall wasn't there to reap the benefits. With some of the holes the line was creating today, mendenhall would've had a monster game.

I'm not trying to take any credit away from Redman or
Dwyer, but come on, it's one game. Max Starks would've been able to pick up 20 yards on that Dwyer run and I guarantee you Mendenhall would've scored.

Real Deal Steel
10-10-2011, 01:37 AM
I love Redman. Why? Because he has a toughness about him that is a core element of our team. Something that Mendy doesn't display.

Mendy doesn't drag tackler the way Redman does. Mendy doesn't grind as good as Redman. But Mendy in space is a better runner then Redman. And Mendy is more of a "go the distance" threat then Redman. And that is why Mendy is the starter.

With all that said, if we had a regular training camp/preseason, Dwyer would be better then both.

Blazedby92
10-10-2011, 07:05 AM
That isn't the first time the o line played good in 3 yrs, so Mendy had his chance, he is just a scat back to the outside he doesn't hit the holes if they are there cause he is scared of contact. Speed is all he has that Redman doesn't and to be truthful if Dywer would get his head out of his arse he probably is the better of the 3.

coldrolled
10-10-2011, 07:08 AM
The short pass game made it all happen.. it gave ben another second or two and kept him standing.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-10-2011, 09:07 AM
Of all the running backs on the Steelers roster, Jonathan Dwyer figured to be the last one to register a 100-yard game this season. Dwyer dressed for only one game as a rookie last season and did not suit up for any of the first four games this season.
But with starting running back Rashard Mendenhall ailing with a hamstring injury and versatile reserve Mewelde Moore out with an ankle injury, it was Dwyer who came off the bench to provide the first 100-yard rushing game of the season.

Dwyer carried 11 times for 107 yards in the 38-17 victory against the Titans at Heinz Field. His first carry went for 76 yards, tied for the seventh-longest run in franchise history.

"To me, I haven't done anything yet," said Dwyer, who rushed for 28 yards on nine carries in the regular-season finale last year against Cleveland, his only other game as a pro. "I still have stuff to prove. I'm satisfied with today, but I'm not where I want to be. I know I can improve."

Dwyer, the team's seventh-round draft choice in 2010, had to work himself into shape during training camp after showing up overweight. He eventually got back into the good graces of the coaching staff.

The Steelers rushed for 174 yards as a team. Isaac Redman got the start in place of Mendenhall and rushed for 49 yards on 15 carries.

"I told Isaac Redman the numbers probably weren't indicative of how we played," quarterback Ben Roethlisberger said. "He did such a good job of running the ball and picking up blitzes. To me, that's what I expect from him. And Jonathan Dwyer stepped up and did a great job. I don't think anyone was surprised at how great they did."
Dwyer said the offense had a new mindset after the Texans held them to 118 yards last week.

"We were just answering the call," he said. "We made the best of our opportunities. We came out with a different attitude. We came out with fire. We weren't going to stop until the end of the game."

Read more: (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11283/1181029-66-0.stm#ixzz1aNcIBwzW)

75Steeler
10-10-2011, 09:33 AM
I think Mendy is sweating his job right now. Maybe that is a good thing.

TampaSteelGirl
10-10-2011, 09:42 AM
I think Mendy is sweating his job right now. Maybe that is a good thing.

Oh hell yea!! Did you see him nervously pacing the side line??? :hehheh:

Rampage
10-10-2011, 01:35 PM
I loved the one-two punch of these guys plus a game plan that softened up the defensive line and linebackers. Hopefully this gives Mendenhall some tape to study so he can see what these other guys see. If Mendenhall can start getting through these holes, he can be very dangerous in the open field. Definitely wouldn't mind seeing 34, 33 and 27 rotating through an entire game.

TheFizzman
10-10-2011, 02:07 PM
maybe mendy will stop being a strip dancer and drive the ball now that he has a lil heat from the backups. the guy has all the talent in the world and has done little to show.

I said it earlier and ill say it again, we need a formation when we have more than just 1RB on the field...if that means a 2RB shotgun or a 2RB proset or even a 3RB Fullhouse set...we need more than one running option on the field at times, because as of now, redman and mendy and dwyer are each one trick ponies with a different trick. :cope:

Callax
10-10-2011, 04:26 PM
One game and both RB's played pretty well. Could it be a combo of Tenn Def was playing over their heads the 1st few games and Pitt played very fired up, outplayed and outcoached the other team??? If these guys play like they just did for a few games, then I'll be more convinced. I wonder if Mendy would have done well (100 yds rushing) if he had played...

KemoTherapy
10-11-2011, 12:24 PM
One game people. I wouldn't get too excited one way or another. It's Mendy's fumbling issues that have me not entirely sold on him.

K Train
10-11-2011, 05:21 PM
They're both bruisers, which I love. I saw Dwyer do little dancing. If he could eliminate that and run like he did on a few of his major runs we're golden. Sorry Mendy.

sorry mendy is insanity....hes so obviously the best back on the roster, a slow start due to misfits blocking this year and all of the sudden everyone thinks hes pure ****

and dwyer uses his light feet to his advantage, its not a weakness of his....he and blount are both big guys with good power but nice speed and sweet feet. 6th round and undrafted between the two, crazy

steelersbabex25
10-11-2011, 05:40 PM
sorry mendy is insanity....hes so obviously the best back on the roster, a slow start due to misfits blocking this year and all of the sudden everyone thinks hes pure ****

I don't think any of us are saying Mendy is "pure ****," it was just refreshing to see a guy pick up some yards after the initial contact and be able to push the pile. Mendy will obviously be playing next week and every other week of the season barring injury, but if the coaches were smart they'd figure out how to work out a good balance between Mendy, Redman, and Dwyer.

SteelCurtain17
10-11-2011, 06:25 PM
I absolutely love the combo of Redman and Dwyer. I really like both of their running styles and they get the tough yards. They definately are a 1-2 punch that is very difficult to stop.