PDA

View Full Version : Thank you Bruce Arians for implementing the short passing game

BlitzburghRockCity
10-09-2011, 04:59 PM
Ben was only sacked once today. He had all kinds of time to throw the ball when he did need it for the most part. Fortunately though, he took the quick passing and ran with it. Ben was able to make the quick drop, find his target and get rid of the ball. When you combine that the good play of Max Starks and the offensive line playing better than they have all year long and you can see just how effective it was.

Ben was 24/34 for 228 yds. 5 TD's and 1 INT. The INT was a total miscommunication between him and the WR's to his right. Ward was there and I believe Wallace too. The most important stat though was only 1 sack. I don't care if he has 150 yds or 350 yds, you get rid of the ball and good things happen for you. This is what the fans have been screaming for, for years. Especially this year though with the way the offensive line has played and the way Ben was getting killed all year. When the pressure comes at you and you are having problems handling it, the only logical way to counter that is to run the ball and use the quick/short passing game.

I haven't felt that comfortable and relaxed watching a Steelers game in a long time, LOL. Give credit where it's due. For as much as we and the rest of the Steeler Nation complains about Arians, he called a good game today and made the adjustments needed to help the offense move the ball

SteelCityVoice
10-09-2011, 05:08 PM
It only adds to my frustration because we all knew many of these problems were fixable but this coaching staff is way too damn stubborn.

Steelers_All_Day_43
10-09-2011, 05:10 PM
Thank you offensive line

steelersbabex25
10-09-2011, 05:10 PM
I have absolutely no complaints about the game that BA called today. It was perfect in every aspect. Not one play that I can think of and say "why the **** did he do that?"

BlitzburghRockCity
10-09-2011, 05:21 PM
I have absolutely no complaints about the game that BA called today. It was perfect in every aspect. Not one play that I can think of and say "why the **** did he do that?"

That interception by Ben just before half time; I can see the logic of Ben wanting to catch the Titans napping with the quick snap. However I would have preferred them to spike it, and try to get the extra FG. They had one timeout left at that point. However you can say though too that Ward and Wallace weren't on the same page with him.

Trust me though, if that's my only complaint then I'm pretty happy ;)

steelersbabex25
10-09-2011, 05:22 PM
That interception by Ben just before half time; I can see the logic of Ben wanting to catch the Titans napping with the quick snap. However I would have preferred them to spike it, and try to get the extra FG. They had one timeout left at that point. However you can say though too that Ward and Wallace weren't on the same page with him.

Trust me though, if that's my only complaint then I'm pretty happy ;)

I think that was Ben's call. Not BA's.

Mike Tomlin
10-09-2011, 05:40 PM
Thank you Ben for Checking down and getting the ball out quick. Arians can call the plays but it's up to the players to execute.

Black@Gold Forever32
10-09-2011, 05:46 PM
I was surprised that either Wallace or Ward were not on the same page with Ben on that faked spike play....Oh well but yes BA called a fantastic game and really BA's problem is he is so damn stubborn at times.....I think that is why him and Ben get along so well...Ben can be just as stubborn...lol

steelersbabex25
10-09-2011, 05:49 PM
I was surprised that either Wallace or Ward were not on the same page with Ben on that faked spike play....Oh well but yes BA called a fantastic game and really BA's problem is he is so damn stubborn at times.....I think that is why him and Ben get along so well...Ben can be just as stubborn...lol

I don't think anyone but Ben was on the same page as Ben for that play.

Black@Gold Forever32
10-09-2011, 05:53 PM

well maybe the WR's need to get their heads in the game as well....Dan Marino beat the Jets on a fake spike back in the mid 90s thanks to his WR being on the same page as him.....

JensK
10-09-2011, 06:00 PM
In a situation like that, it is hardly ever the QBs fault as it is him who calls the shots. So as much as Id love to throw it on BA, that one was on the WRs.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-09-2011, 08:40 PM
well maybe the WR's need to get their heads in the game as well....Dan Marino beat the Jets on a fake spike back in the mid 90s thanks to his WR being on the same page as him.....

You just had a feeling Ben was going to try and throw that one instead of spiking it. I just didn't have a good feeling though, the WR's didn't look like they were ready for it. So yeah that one is on the pass catchers as much as it was Ben for maybe leading his target just a tad too much. Either way it could have been a big play and it's something they better be ready for.

coldrolled
10-09-2011, 08:48 PM
finally we have seen the short game... BA keep that up.

steelchamp204
10-09-2011, 09:14 PM
It only took Ben to get a sprained foot, but BA did a good job today

jpele
10-09-2011, 09:25 PM

I'm not so sure about that. I think E.Sanders was the player without a clue on that play, Ward was running ahead of Sanders getting ready to block , Sanders simply never turned around.

This is whats so disturbing about BA, I know he's not an idiot he just has trouble coming up with a game plan that fits out system. Today he showed he can do it and we all know that next week we'll be cursing and scratching out heads again.

LarryNJ
10-09-2011, 10:10 PM
Very good game plan. I think Hines comment earlier in the week was because he was finally happy with the game plan. He knew it was going to work and it did.

BlacknGold Bleeder
10-09-2011, 10:44 PM
Great game plan today!! Even a blind squirrel (arains) finds a nut once in a while... Now let's see if he can do it 2 weeks in a row...

SteelDad
10-10-2011, 09:06 AM
As much as I rip on Arians, have to give him his due. Very well-designed gameplan yesterday. Was a little surprised we didn't see the 'pistol' yesterday. That was brought out against Baltimore last year when Ben had a similar foot issue. That aside, BA stayed with what was working which is positive for him. The decent running game helped a lot too.

LatrobePA
10-10-2011, 09:31 AM
See how good a patched together oline looks with decent play calling??

Good job Bruce, you get a 1 week pass! lol

75Steeler
10-10-2011, 09:36 AM
Bruce Arians still needs to go.

TampaSteelGirl
10-10-2011, 09:42 AM
I was pleasantly surprised with the play calling and the trick plays...Loved to Sep out there passing :drool: while not trying to turn a positive into a negative...but why didn't BA do this before?? This definatley shows the stubborness of the coaching stuff...anyway when the Steelers play like this we can beat anyone...I thnk if we keep playing like this we can beat the Pats no problem...D looked great and Troy almost had like what 3 or 4 almost INT...glad to see Woodley back in the saddle!!

2 dropped passed by Brown and Sanders would have probably put us up 7ish more but I was so glad to see this team come together and play well....Ben looked amazing!!!
What a great monday!!!!!! :tt02:

LatrobePA
10-10-2011, 09:46 AM
I loved Ben showing some emotion ripping his young WR's! He's embraced the C role and it shows..

BR7
10-10-2011, 10:01 AM
while not trying to turn a positive into a negative...but why didn't BA do this before??

I'm sure you're not the only one thinking that. My only guess is that someone finally clobbered BA in the head with a lead pipe. He awoke with a revelation, with a game plan fitting of our offensive line, our WRs and Ben's injury.

:imho:

Rampage
10-10-2011, 01:24 PM
If I can be quick to bash the gameplan, I can be quick to embrace it. Seeing RBs and TEs chip on blocks and roll into the flat for quick, short passes made me smile: It has been there all along, but we haven't used it. If we stick with it, the offense will be much different than what we saw in the first quarter of the season. I hope that Arians realized that you can still make big plays with the short, quick passes: You get the pass rush off your back and you get your QB time to throw. Amazing what a quality plan can do for a team.

LatrobePA
10-10-2011, 01:29 PM
If I can be quick to bash the gameplan, I can be quick to embrace it. Seeing RBs and TEs chip on blocks and roll into the flat for quick, short passes made me smile: It has been there all along, but we haven't used it. If we stick with it, the offense will be much different than what we saw in the first quarter of the season. I hope that Arians realized that you can still make big plays with the short, quick passes: You get the pass rush off your back and you get your QB time to throw. Amazing what a quality plan can do for a team.

You freaking nailed it, you don't need pro bowl tackles or guards to do this, just some brains!!

coldrolled
10-10-2011, 02:22 PM
i think the quality plan had a lot to do with ben not being able to run.. in combo with tomlin kicking ba's a$$ all week. i hope they keep it up. if they stop the short game... we need hampton to step on ben's foot.

DIESELMAN
10-10-2011, 07:51 PM
while not trying to turn a positive into a negative...but why didn't BA do this before??
kinda makes you wonder if it was BA's gameplan, it was like night and day compared to the first 4 games

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=38.151834,-85.755057
Sent from my iPhone 3GS using Tapatalk

BlitzburghRockCity
10-11-2011, 11:57 PM

We all reserve that right to criticize the game plan and then embrace it, it's part of being a fan. If they could just make up their mind on how they want to run this offense effectively we'd all have lower blood pressure..LOL

Black@Gold Forever32
10-12-2011, 12:07 AM
I don't know how many times I have seen Ben just look so frustrated and shrug his shoulders when his young WR's have ran the wrong routes at times...lol That is why I didn't understand the slight bashing on Ben so far this season at times....The OL has been a mess and the young WR's still have some growing pains......I agree Ben needs to be smarter with the ball at times but its hard for a QB to be great consistently when his teammates let him down at times.....I'm not bashing the young WR's since I want them out there playing....Its the only way they will get better and be ready to contribute for this team when needed.....

Mike Tomlin
10-12-2011, 12:52 AM
kinda makes you wonder if it was BA's gameplan, it was like night and day compared to the first 4 games

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=38.151834,-85.755057

Same thing I said :thinking:

DIESELMAN
10-14-2011, 02:01 AM
Same thing I said :thinking:

Not really, not in this thread. You said.....

Thank you Ben for Checking down and getting the ball out quick. Arians can call the plays but it's up to the players to execute.

The whole game plan was out of character for BA, it just seemed like someone else other then BA called the plays.