PDA

View Full Version : Does Keisel's return help jump start the rush defense?

BlitzburghRockCity
10-06-2011, 10:38 AM
Keisel missed about 2 games but is practicing and will play at his usual defensive end spot on Sunday when the Steelers host the Titans.

He was there in the week 1 blowout to the Ravens, but he was there for the week 2 win vs Seattle. It's hard to hold that first game against any of them single handedly. The entire team played like crap but clearly Brett's presence has been missed. If you remember, Lynch did next to nothing and the Steelers were able to shut down Seattle. Now obviously Keisel wasn't the only reason they won that game. However, without him being in the lineup the last weeks it has been noticeable.

Getting the bearded beast back is only going to help this team if you think about it. He's an underrated lineman who is tough enough to hold his own against the lineman to stop the run but also can get some good pressure in the pass rush. Ziggy Hood has been somewhat unimpressive in relief of Keisel. Besides, Brett is the youngest of the starting 3 and the only likely one to still be around in 2012. At that point he'll be the elder statesman of the starters.

SteelDad
10-06-2011, 11:05 AM
Certainly can't hurt BRC. His presence creates tougher passing lanes for QBs and should be able to get some pressure if we continue to rotate the DL.

steelchamp204
10-06-2011, 11:11 AM
I would say No.

Rampage
10-06-2011, 11:55 AM
I think he's better than Smith at this point. Still, I would prefer seeing both Hood and Heyward on the field at the same time.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-06-2011, 01:08 PM
I think he's better than Smith at this point. Still, I would prefer seeing both Hood and Heyward on the field at the same time.

If the injuries keep ravaging this team you just might see that combo before the year is over.

Keisel is clearly better than both Hood and Heyward right now so perhaps a Keisel and Hood combo would be something that might boost the defensive line. Even with Aaron Smith comes back I still give Hood more reps at his spot. The only way this dude is going to continue to improve is by more playing time.

Goodfrom55
10-06-2011, 01:21 PM
If the injuries keep ravaging this team you just might see that combo before the year is over.

Keisel is clearly better than both Hood and Heyward right now so perhaps a Keisel and Hood combo would be something that might boost the defensive line. Even with Aaron Smith comes back I still give Hood more reps at his spot. The only way this dude is going to continue to improve is by more playing time.

What Kiesel does more than any other Steelers D-Lineman is have an inate feel for the football and the ability to more often than not, bat the ball down at the LOS. Other than Kiesel, I don't see anyo other D-Lineman getting hands up trying to sawt the ball at the LOS. I blame that on Johnny Mitchell.

mwittman5
10-06-2011, 01:52 PM
Hood has been getting some good pressure on the QB in his playing time. Keisel and Hood should be the starters IMO.

LatrobePA
10-06-2011, 02:22 PM

This ^

K Train
10-06-2011, 02:28 PM
once again...hood is ****ing terrible.

its a shame but i think its time to cut ties with smith, hes just not playing at the level were used to seeing him....kesiel, hood, heyward, and sly alll need reps to sure up the run defense

BlitzburghRockCity
10-06-2011, 08:46 PM
We were all hoping Smith would be able to return to form this year, and I'm sure he's not happy with his play either. He's a legend in the 34 defense across the league but father time and injuries show no favors to anyone.

Brett is definitely one of the most underrated lineman in the NFL.

SteelCurtain17
10-07-2011, 02:26 PM
I think it might make a small difference. It definately doesn't hurt having him back in the lineup. I still agree with the fact of Hayward and Hood starting

DIESELMAN
10-07-2011, 06:40 PM
Is Keisel coming back to soon? He had a torn PCL in one of his knees.....:dunno:

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=38.151835,-85.754911
Sent from my iPhone 3GS using Tapatalk

Goodfrom55
10-07-2011, 06:46 PM
I thought it was a sprain.

Nolrog
10-07-2011, 07:28 PM
I would say No.

I agree. The bigger problem was Casey Hampton being pushed all around.

Goodfrom55
10-07-2011, 07:50 PM
I agree. The bigger problem was Casey Hampton being pushed all around.

Reference the Colts game (Freeney / Mathis), Speed wins out over power and strength. If McClendon, Hood, and Brett, can get penetration, that will make a huge difference in controlling the LOS.

Stairwayto7
10-07-2011, 10:29 PM
Has to help, and texans had one of the best Olines in the league

steeldoc
10-07-2011, 11:31 PM
No...the D line sucks.:banging::banging::banging::banging::banging ::banging::banging:

connecticutsteel
10-08-2011, 09:19 AM
Hood has been getting some good pressure on the QB in his playing time. Keisel and Hood should be the starters IMO.
What games have you been watching? the only game we got any pressure is the seahawks game . the sack fumble in the colts game seems like a fluke at this point

BlitzburghRockCity
10-08-2011, 10:16 PM
Hood is not bad when he's in pass rush mode but he tends to get swallowed up in run support. He's going to have to work on that big time; defensive lineman in our defense don't make a living of rushing the passer.