PDA

View Full Version : Please Mr. Rooney; it's time to put your foot down with your team

BlitzburghRockCity
10-05-2011, 04:30 PM
The Rooney way has been a legendary concept of doing NFL business for decades. A way that's been a model of efficiency in running a business in general but in particularly, the NFL.

You surround yourself with a front office that buys into the way you see your business being run. You hire coaches to facilitate that atmosphere to the players. You bring in players that share your philosophy on the team concept, hard working dedication to the common goal, and a selfless attitude.

Over the years you could say that it's worked like a charm for the Pittsburgh Steelers. The first team to win 4 Super Bowl Championships, and then again the first to win 6. A drafting strategy where player character is as important as on the field production. Above all else the team comes first the and the whole is greater than the sum of the parts.

When you look at this team during the 2 most recent "generations". The Cowher era was one of "run the ball", play tough defense, solid special teams, and don't rely on the QB to win the game for you. You draft quality offensive lineman, big running backs, tough wide receivers, and a defense that takes as much pride in knocking your block off as they do in scoring a touchdown. You sacrifice some skill position talent for the integrity of the interior. This allows you to stay competitive in most every game situation and keep yourself in a position to win the game late in the 4th quarter. Imposing your will with the ground attack and a smothering, relentless defense was the staple. Other than the few teams that run a west coast offense, this was the norm in the NFL.

Cowher and his staff made it a habit of securing themselves for the future by constantly replenishing their team with quality free agents and draft picks. As I mentioned, the offensive line was a top priority. Spending a premium draft pick every year on a big guy up front regardless of whether it was immediately needed or not ensured that you'd always have able bodies available to step in. As I mentioned, you didn't always have the biggest, fastest, or best pass catchers but because the Quarterback had time to throw, you could make do.

The Steelers flirted with underachieving, no nonsense types of Quarterbacks since Terry Bradshaw retired. Finally late in Cowher's tenure the Steelers drafted Ben Roethlisberger to finally break that cycle of "just getting by" at the Quarterback position. A draft pick that could very well go down as one of the most important in team history; certainly in the modern era.

cowher eventually won that elusive "one for the thumb" by keeping with the tradition that had been entrenched for so long but also incorporating a passer that opened up a whole new world of possibilities.

Fast forward to the Mike Tomlin era. The Steelers won another super bowl and appeared in their 8th overall. Things seemingly humming along but quietly some problems began to surface that the Steelers managed to avoid for so long since the dynasty years. They have allowed themselves to get old. The drafting has not been as good, the free agents not panning out, and a coaching staff so hell bent on doing things their way that they've allowed themselves to become predictable in most every facet of the game.

The Rooney's allow their coaches to run their teams with little interference. They believe that by hiring the right people, they can let their staff do it's job and all will be well. That's fine, however in 2011 it's time for the Rooney's to step in and put this team back on the right track.

No longer do you ignore the offensive line in the draft until it's too late. No longer do you allow veterans to hang around when it's clearly time to move on. No longer do you allow low tier free agents to occupy such key positions on the field as starters. It's time for Art II and Dan to sit down with Mike Tomlin and his staff and have a heart to heart.

- Stop spending money on "no names" that continue to allow your 100 million dollar Quarterback to get killed.

- Stop ignorning free agency like it's the plague. There are players to be had that can help your team while you continue to build through the draft.

-Stop allowing your offensive coordinator to just get by with the same old plays and predictable situational calls. Start being creative with the talent you have. We've seen enough quick outs to a WR to know they don't work nearly as often as you'd like us to believe.

- Stop allowing your head coach to just sit back and wait for a disaster to happen before he makes a significant change. Did you not learn anything from the Super Bowl last year and the way things have gone this year? You can't blame that loss on just injuries. Could you not see the writing on the wall over the last few seasons where teams are starting to figure you out, and now point of "just being tough" isn't enough.

- Stop allowing your dedication to the veterans to affect your future. Father time catches up with everyone. In the past you had no problem cutting ties with great Steeler players "at just the right time" near the end of their career. Now there are several names that should not have made this roster but yet are still there and clearly being outplayed and overmatched. Perhaps you kept them around because you had no faith in the young players? If that's the case then that comes back to the lack of drafting quality players at the needed positions as much as it does the over dedication to veterans.

Thank you for stepping in and making sure the team listened to it's Quarterback and made the right decision to bring back Max Starks. Now take it to the next step and make the tough decisions that will help ensure the future of the Steelers.

Nolrog
10-05-2011, 04:58 PM
Fast forward to the Mike Tomlin era. The Steelers won another super bowl and appeared in a 7th.

Overall, a really good post BRC.

I hope you'll forgive my anal retentiveness, but they appeared in their 8th, not 7th.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-05-2011, 06:26 PM
Good call, I was on a roll and got my facts mixed it up. I corrected it.

It just burns me up to think about this team and how things used to be. I understand there are tough decisions to make but they put themselves in this position by not taking care of business previously. You wonder how long it will take for them to fully grasp what's going on here.

chisteeler
10-05-2011, 07:55 PM
Good post. Concise and to the point!

Raleigh Steel
10-05-2011, 08:04 PM
:clap::yellowthumb:

steelersbabex25
10-05-2011, 08:07 PM
Too busy in Ireland, sorry!

Black@Gold Forever32
10-05-2011, 08:34 PM
Too busy in Ireland, sorry!

Well Art II is really in charge now........My fears were that Art II was nothing like his dad and grandfather...with each passing day its becoming more clear he isn't......:evilshake:

steeldoc
10-05-2011, 08:56 PM
Well said. I just don't get why they have ignored the O line for so long and why everyone is surprised that age is finally catching up with them. I'm not sure if this is the result of laziness, or sheer stupidity.:imho:

jpele
10-05-2011, 09:26 PM
Guess nobody remembers the 1980"s . We're 2-2 not 0-16 I understand things are bad but they could be worse how woulld you like being a Bengal fan ?

Every couple of years we hit a bump in the road things will work themselves out, hang on and enjoy the ride. :tt02:

coldrolled
10-05-2011, 09:42 PM
Dont forget Art II is inherting Goodell rules plus over enforcing them on us.. so we play softer now.. we need to adjust back to hard hitting, and rooney needs to pay their fines for xmas presents. i mean clean hard hits that are fined not blatant fouls like meriweathers last year..

LatrobePA
10-05-2011, 10:02 PM
They have a badass QB that can escape pressure like no other in the history of the NFL why mess with drafting olineman in the early rounds...

BlitzburghRockCity
10-06-2011, 12:18 AM
They have a badass QB that can escape pressure like no other in the history of the NFL why mess with drafting olineman in the early rounds...

We laugh at something like that but honestly you almost wonder if they sat sit back in their office and say, "well hell we've won 2 out of 3 super bowls with a poor offensive line, why bother!"

The viscous cycle has to end sooner or later, and the only way it's going to is if the Rooney's make them draft offensive lineman with their 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round picks in 2012. I know there are going to be needs elsewhere too but it's also high time they stop treating free agency like it's the plague and use it!

connecticutsteel
10-06-2011, 12:32 AM
RIGHT ON THE MONEY WITH THIS ARTICLE .iT SHOULD BE FORWARDED TO THE ROONEYS . I actually thought ben would end up like thiesmen with his leg snapped in half in the ravens game it wasn't funny

TheFizzman
10-06-2011, 02:48 AM
WOW. Lets take a minute and reflect on the steelers for a bit.

Bill Cowher -
Win-Loss Record 149901 (.623)
2 AFC Championships
1 Super Bowl Victory.
(1992-2006) 15 Seasons

Mike Tomlin
Win-Loss Record 43210 (.672)
2 AFC Championships
1 Super Bowl Victory
Youngest head coach to lead his team to a Super Bowl victory in NFL History.
Have been 1st in AFC North 3 out of the 4 last seasons.
In his 5th Season.

And anyone has the audacity to criticize tomlin for having trouble figuring out the Oline situation? Steelers are not like other teams that will go out and overpay a free agent superstar to play a certain position. We have standards for our players to reach and maintain and excel. Starks failed to meet in the summer. He got cut. That's life. Now he is back and hopefully has learned a lesson in how quickly something awesome like a job in the NFL can be taken away from you. ALSO, We always talk up "oh this player has alot of upside, so he is going to have growing issues"...Maybe we should give our coach the same benefit of the doubt. He has had alot of success at a young age, he is going to make mistakes along the way...(do we not remember the days of Cowher's errors such as that of Kordell and :banging: Tommy Maddox?)

Stop hating on the Guy. He has taken us to two superbowls in his first 4 years. That is ALOT quicker then the guy before him. :cope: Relax, the season is barely 4 weeks old. I live in STL and i am sure these assclowns in downtown would give up a first and second round pick for a mike tomlin.

Raleigh Steel
10-06-2011, 06:34 AM
the steelers for years ignored the QB position. and year after year we would fall short with a team that had a powerful running game and brick wall for a defense.

then they got that QB who's not only serviceable but is that special QB...the kind you build your entire team around...THE FRANCHISE!!! and now they've actually ignored the one thing to protect their investment...the o-line. it's finally caught up to them this season and it shows big time.

the sad thing is, we saw the lack of QB for years, and we see the lack of OLINE today...why doesn't the FO see it?

Blazedby92
10-06-2011, 07:12 AM
Guess nobody remembers the 1980"s . We're 2-2 not 0-16 I understand things are bad but they could be worse how woulld you like being a Bengal fan ?

Every couple of years we hit a bump in the road things will work themselves out, hang on and enjoy the ride. :tt02:

Bill Cowher -
2 AFC Championships
1 Super Bowl Victory.
(1992-2006) 15 Seasons

Mike Tomlin
2 AFC Championships
1 Super Bowl Victory
In his 5th Season.

And anyone has the audacity to criticize tomlin for having trouble figuring out the Oline situation? Steelers are not like other teams that will go out and overpay a free agent superstar to play a certain position. We have standards for our players to reach and maintain and excel. Starks failed to meet in the summer. He got cut. That's life. Now he is back and hopefully has learned a lesson in how quickly something awesome like a job in the NFL can be taken away from you. ALSO, We always talk up "oh this player has alot of upside, so he is going to have growing issues"...Maybe we should give our coach the same benefit of the doubt. He has had alot of success at a young age, he is going to make mistakes along the way...(do we not remember the days of Cowher's errors such as that of Kordell and :banging: Tommy Maddox?)

Stop hating on the Guy. He has taken us to two superbowls in his first 4 years. That is ALOT quicker then the guy before him. :cope: Relax, the season is barely 4 weeks old. I live in STL and i am sure these assclowns in downtown would give up a first and second round pick for a mike tomlin.

:yellowthumb:Don't be like Colts fans and start throwing the FO and Team under the bus becasue of one bad start, WOW

SteelDad
10-06-2011, 09:13 AM
No one is suggesting that Tomlin be fired and if you see this team as 2-2 then you didn't see the Indy game where we should have lost for all intents and purposes and the fact that we should have lost at least 31-10 last week... BlitzBurghRockCity knows all too well the struggles of the 1980's, but that isn't the issue nor the point of his article. It is the complete lack of attention paid to arguably the most important area of any good football team. One given the responsibility of protecting a $100 million+ QB who has been running for his life the last several seasons. There isn't a Steeler Fan alive who didn't see the offensive line issues heading into this season and the FO/coaches failed to address it.

The Rooneys have done a terrific job of growing our talent from inside and adding just the right free agents where needed at typically low cost. The problem is that this is a new era and when your draft classes have essentially sucked over the last several years the only place to make that up is in FA. BRC is not suggesting we become the Dan Snyder Redskins who sign every overpriced FA out there, but the fact that we have now paid huge money for 2 LBs who have all but disappeared this season and an all-pro SS who is always a play away from being injured means we have issues!

My thread earlier this week about Colbert's complete lack of o-line attention throughout his career is now coming home to roost. So maybe it isn't all on Tomlin or all on Colbert, but there is absolutely no reason our O-line situation should be this dismal so one or both are to blame.

steelchamp204
10-06-2011, 09:54 AM

Bill Cowher -
2 AFC Championships
1 Super Bowl Victory.
(1992-2006) 15 Seasons

Mike Tomlin
2 AFC Championships
1 Super Bowl Victory
In his 5th Season.

Just an idea. Its not really hard to win alot when you already have a team stacked for you when you take the HC position as Tomlin did after Cowher. Cowher had his work cut out for him when he took over for Knoll. Not such much for Tomlins case. Not trying to take anything away from him but we will see in the next few years how the team Tomlin built will stack up to the teams that Cowher had built. The thing though about having a bad line is that we dont have a 3mill Qb behind the line. We have invested over 100million dollars in Ben if he even makes it through his contract. So it wouldnt be to bad to maybe Overpay for a solid offensive linemen. Have you seen Baltimore FA line this year. They look greath :imho:

jpele
10-06-2011, 01:40 PM
No one is suggesting that Tomlin be fired and if you see this team as 2-2 then you didn't see the Indy game where we should have lost for all intents and purposes and the fact that we should have lost at least 31-10 last week... .

I did watch the games and I still see us as 2-2. Would have could have means absolutely nothing. We could have lost the Indy game but we didn't.

We could have lost 31-10 to Houston but we didn't , if is a big word...if we didn't have 7 turnovers we win the Ravens game.

I understand what BRC is saying in the article and I responded with my thoughts our season as it has played out so far.

As a side note , Tomlin getting fired would be a good thing in my opinion. Mike is a diplomat not a head coach. He did a fantastic job of selling himself to the Rooney's with his ideals on how the team should be run now he's up the preverbial creek without a paddle.

HUNT4SEVEN
10-06-2011, 10:06 PM
In all honesty this is Bill cowards Schemes, this is Bills OC and DC, I give Tomlin mad props because he is a coach who won with another coach philosophy so to speak, and he won a Superbowl using another coach schemes, Tomlin is a 4-3 guy who had to learn the 3-4, the first year he was here our DB's were #1 in pass defense, Us Steeler fans are to spoiled were so us to winning we can't except that we can't win every year get over it, I am glad were going through this because we need CHANGE new schemes and a new OC and DC, I don't like losing either but when u are drafting late in each 7 rounds for years it's hard to get good young talent to replace any position we will be alright because the Rooney way is to build through the draft anyways that's how we won 4 Superbowls remember the draft of 74? 69 took Mean Joe green, 70 Bradshaw, 72 Franco Harris and then the 74 draft and the rest if history...

LarryNJ
10-06-2011, 11:19 PM

Bill Cowher -
2 AFC Championships
1 Super Bowl Victory.
(1992-2006) 15 Seasons

Mike Tomlin
2 AFC Championships
1 Super Bowl Victory
In his 5th Season.

I agree with you. Cowher kept Kordell for years when everyone knew he sucked. Everyone thought the Eagles did a great job in FA and they area 1-3. This isn't baseball where you can be like the Yankees..it's difficult to manage the salary cap and we jave done a great job at it. No need to over react ate 4 games our even a season. It's ok to critize and question the team, but too many go way over board.

jackhammer1
10-07-2011, 11:33 AM
Old man Dan is too busy trying to get Obama re-elected

Stone
10-07-2011, 03:09 PM

From one newbie to another, this has no relevance.

1. There is a world of difference between Steeler football and Bengal football. That;s like asking Einstein how he would like being retarded!

2. It's not the record, it's the execution.....or lack thereof at every position including/especially the coaching/decision makers.

3. Our bumps in the road usually coincide with weak talent often as a result of our position in the draft, that's not the case here. We are loaded with young talent!

--- Added 10/7/2011 at 01:09 PM ---

Old man Dan is too busy trying to get Obama re-elected

that right there is enough to make a man puke:barf: