PDA

View Full Version : Front office wanted Starks; Steelers coaches did not

BlitzburghRockCity
10-05-2011, 08:38 AM
Tweet from Jim Wexell this morning..

Don't understand mixed signals Steelers give Starks? Front office likes him; coaches don't. Coaches wrong again. He'll start once in shape.

Fortunately the front office put their foot down and got Starks back on the roster.

Can somebody explain to me what the coaches hangup is with Starks? I have a pretty good idea; it's called not seeing the big picture with this team.

The Rooney's and I would imagine Kevin Colbert want him back; the coaches for whatever reason don't. Perhaps they are still holding a grudge from how Max showed up to training camp, or perhaps they don't want to admit they were wrong in letting him go in the first place.

Either way, you normally side with the coaches on personnel matters since they know these players but this time I'm on the front office's side. This team needs help at the offensive line in the worst way, Starks is a good LT. He's clearly needed and an obvious upgrade over Jonathan Scott.

LatrobePA
10-05-2011, 08:40 AM
See Bruce Arians, the coaches are STUPID!! Even Dick!

SteelDad
10-05-2011, 08:52 AM
What does this say about the Tomlin Regime? My doubts about his personnel evaluating and inability to change are now concrete.

TampaSteelGirl
10-05-2011, 08:56 AM
Good God!!!!! Everyday gets worse!!! :thud:

BlitzburghRockCity
10-05-2011, 08:56 AM
The fact that the coaches didn't want to bring back Starks just reaffirms the stubborness and failure to think outside the box that has haunted this team for years.

Even if Max doesn't play as well as he did last year before he got hurt, there was no alternative but to bring him back since they refused to sign or were unable to sign Flozell Adams. You cannot sit by and just watch your Quarterback get killed and your offense implode without doing something. Thank goodness the front office stepped in this time.

The fact is, even though they had just under 800,000 in cap space available this year, they can always release one of the lower tier players to free up more room. They did it by releasing Scott today and they could do it again if they needed too.

LatrobePA
10-05-2011, 08:57 AM
What does this say about the Tomlin Regime? My doubts about his personnel evaluating and inability to change are now concrete.

As is mine... I've lost mostly all the respect I had for him.

I'm glad the FO had seen enough!

cmerrifield
10-05-2011, 09:03 AM
Its Tomlin that is the problem. He thinks guys should just play at a certain level when sometimes they just cant. He thinks backups should play as well as starters. It seems like he thinks everyone in the NFL should play at the same level but some guys are just better/more talented. Before last years season, they were signing "camp bodies" and Tomlin made a comment the more guys the better. That is not true. I would love a camp with 60 quality guys, than 90 average guys, but Tomlin doesnt see the difference. I dont know if he doesnt understand some guys have a low ceiling or its how he motivates, but he is the problem here.

steelchamp204
10-05-2011, 09:16 AM
People blame arians and DL, but not tomlin? Come on

TampaSteelGirl
10-05-2011, 09:19 AM
It's everyones fault here......except the fans :tt02:

LatrobePA
10-05-2011, 09:41 AM
The fans are never wrong! Haaaaa

TampaSteelGirl
10-05-2011, 09:43 AM
The fans are never wrong! Haaaaa

Never baby...never :greengrin:

SteelDad
10-05-2011, 10:05 AM
We fans are an interesting bunch but we seem to be right more often than not. Take Mike Vick for example.... Most NFL fans said it was stupid to pay him so much money when he never makes it a full season. A concussion and broken hand later and who looks stupid?

Chargers' fans went ballistic when they hired Norv Turner... And what exactly have they won????

We aren't right in every situation but we are certainly better than 50/50.

LatrobePA
10-05-2011, 10:21 AM
I talked to family back home and they said there is NO neg talk about Tomlin...

TampaSteelGirl
10-05-2011, 10:28 AM
We fans are an interesting bunch but we seem to be right more often than not. Take Mike Vick for example.... Most NFL fans said it was stupid to pay him so much money when he never makes it a full season. A concussion and broken hand later and who looks stupid?

Chargers' fans went ballistic when they hired Norv Turner... And what exactly have they won????

We aren't right in every situation but we are certainly better than 50/50.

It's like we are much smarter than the organizations :yellowthumb:

BlitzburghRockCity
10-05-2011, 01:30 PM
While the coaches and front offices will never take into consideration what the fans think it's clear to that we aren't as stupid as they make us out to be.

There's no excuse to take this long to bring back Starks. If they want to say that it was a business decision to release him then that's fine. However businesses change their minds all the time. It's clear that releasing C. Scott was always an option so why they didn't do this 2 weeks ago is a mystery. It's certainly not because they actually could think that J. Scott and Essex were the long term answer. Certainly not because Colon was coming back this year.

For as much as we praise the Steelers for having such a great front office; these last several years have not been the greatest.

Blazedby92
10-05-2011, 01:51 PM
I'm always right, just ask me, ha ha

coldrolled
10-05-2011, 02:05 PM
or perhaps they don't want to admit they were wrong in letting him go in the first place.

:plus1:

then the

OL Coach, OC need to go first...

if the new OL and OC coach fail and the Defense keeps faltering then Tomlin can go too... he will be out of old cowher players and the cards will fall on him...

Troyisabeast_43
10-05-2011, 02:28 PM
:plus1:

then the

OL Coach, OC need to go first...

if the new OL and OC coach fail and the Defense keeps faltering then Tomlin can go too... he will be out of old cowher players and the cards will fall on him...

He is already out of old Cowher players for the most part. The team that Tomlin won the Super Bowl with in 2008 was for the most part 75-80 percent Bill Cowher's team. The team that Tomlin lost the Super Bowl with last season was more Mike Tomlin's team and they failed to get the job done against Green Bay. Had Tomlin found a way to win that Super Bowl last year a lot of heat would be off of him and he would be getting praised to no end. Instead, he lost and the team is getting older and now Tomlin is going to be in charge here within the next few years of trying to rebuild this team with younger players from the ground up. It's not an easy thing to do and win consistently.

TampaSteelGirl
10-05-2011, 02:58 PM
This move will come back to bite them in the :moon:

RIVERS OF STEEL
10-05-2011, 03:20 PM
They are so dumb at tihe top. All the right answers are here on SA. Why don't they just listen to us fans?

steelersbabex25
10-05-2011, 07:18 PM
"No no just leave everything how it is, it'll be fine." :rolleyes:

Stairwayto7
10-05-2011, 07:35 PM
Im just glad they , the front office, saw Ben needed help, and a move was made. Its not a total savior, but we`ll see

Black@Gold Forever32
10-05-2011, 07:37 PM
Im just glad they , the front office, saw Ben needed help, and a move was made. Its not a total savior, but we`ll see

It can't get any worse....right?

LarryNJ
10-06-2011, 01:23 AM
Cowher was so great at evaluating players. That's why he kept Kordell around for years after the entire world knew he sucked as a QB.

uclkyle
10-06-2011, 02:05 AM
The fact that the coaches didn't want to bring back Starks just reaffirms the stubborness and failure to think outside the box that has haunted this team for years.

Even if Max doesn't play as well as he did last year before he got hurt, there was no alternative but to bring him back since they refused to sign or were unable to sign Flozell Adams. You cannot sit by and just watch your Quarterback get killed and your offense implode without doing something. Thank goodness the front office stepped in this time.

The fact is, even though they had just under 800,000 in cap space available this year, they can always release one of the lower tier players to free up more room. They did it by releasing Scott today and they could do it again if they needed too.

While I respect your opinion and number of posts (compared to mine), I don't think your statement regarding the coaches failure to think outside the box has haunted this team for years is accurate. Remeber, we have 3 SB showings in 5 years and 6 victories overall. Our problems could be worse. We could be Cleveland.

Farrior Fan
10-06-2011, 06:48 AM
I think Tomlin found out that Ben is humping Tomlins wife and Coach is trying to kill Ben. Seriously, this is the ONLY logical explanation.

--- Added 10/6/2011 at 05:48 AM ---

It can't get any worse....right?

Another season ending injury and we are so thin that if we stood behind a sapling we would dissappear.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-06-2011, 08:54 PM
While I respect your opinion and number of posts (compared to mine), I don't think your statement regarding the coaches failure to think outside the box has haunted this team for years is accurate. Remeber, we have 3 SB showings in 5 years and 6 victories overall. Our problems could be worse. We could be Cleveland.

My posts are always fair game for debate just like anyone else dude, no worries :yellowthumb:

My problem isn't with the 2 super bowl victories or 3 appearances, it's with the fact that majority of those players have been around forever. The Steelers have been winning because of shear defensive dominance and a Quarterback that has a knack for making something out of nothing. Sooner or later teams will start to either figure you out or you'll get old and not replenish the talent that has gotten you as far as it has.

Now the age issue and the inevitable slow down that comes with it have caught up to several key players. Also a concerning fact is that for years teams would run zone blocking schemes and chop block against our defense. Now all of the sudden they can't handle it? Something just doesn't jive with that in my opinion.

They've always had issues with cut back runners and good TE's, however they were able to overcome it simply because not many teams had a back that could that type of running. Not every QB is Tom Brady capable of pulling off the short passing game offense, and not every team had good TE's that could exploit the defense.

Now more and more teams are using the tight ends, getting quicker more versatile backs, and the Quarterbacks are enjoying the recent trend towards the passing game. While the Steelers have talent on offense to play that type of game, they refuse to do it.

On defense, I still believe the 34 scheme is viable, no question but for whatever the reason besides age the players aren't up to the challenge so far.

HUNT4SEVEN
10-06-2011, 09:11 PM
Well Ben has filed a civil suit against the Rooneys for not providing him with adequate protection http://www.steelerfury.com/content/roethlisberger-file-civil-suit so i guess they had no choice in bringing back Maxs:yesnod:

Destossel
10-06-2011, 10:23 PM
For those old enough to remember the 80's when the Steelers were a shadow of their 70's self there probably is not as much angst as others have. Cowher was not perfect. He lost so many afc title games it was sick. He had no QB. If he had one it would have been different.

So this year is an off year. Not every year can be a SB year. I am critical of the Steelers inability to fortify the o line for the last 5 years but you cannot argue with the results until now. The defense has finally aged to the point that the offensive shortcomings can no longer be overcome.

Its week 4. Tomlin and Big Ben have given us plenty to cheer about until 2011. Remember that everyone can see a problem but being able to solve it is much harder.

Stlrs4Life
10-06-2011, 10:34 PM
FO can't be that smart. Can't they see William Gay sucks?