PDA

View Full Version : Max Starks Visits Steelers...10/5 Update, Starks signs, Chris Scott released

mwittman5
10-04-2011, 10:41 PM
http://twitter.com/#!/gerrydulac (http://twitter.com/#%21/gerrydulac)

Max Starks visited #steelers tonite and it looks as though he will be signed. Someone will be waived.

The Steelers visited with former offensive tackle Max Starks tonight and are close to re-signing him to help their injury-plagued offensive line.

Starks, who was released before the start of training camp, was at the team's South Side facility tonight and will likely be signed to the 53-man roster, a team source told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

The Steelers will have to release a player to make room for Starks, who had been a full-time starter since the middle of the 2009 season.

Starks missed the second half of last season with a neck injury that kept him from working out during the offseason. That caused him to be overweight and out of shape and forced the Steelers to release him.

From the PG (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11277/1179726-100.stm#ixzz1Zs90S0L9)

jpele
10-04-2011, 10:45 PM
Well they did something right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Goodfrom55
10-04-2011, 10:47 PM
Starks will be an improvement from El Matador, Jonathan Scott, but he wasn't the greatest either. But hopefully he can help the team. If he signs, that will mean 3 out of 5 starters will be from the University of Florida.

BlacknGold Bleeder
10-04-2011, 10:55 PM
mixed emotions...got to be better then what we have BUT if he is why isn't he playing somewhere?? How long will it take him to get in football shape??

cmerrifield
10-04-2011, 11:04 PM
I think Starks could have been an Elite LT. He just was too streaky and/or lazy. He could block Jared Allen all day for Ben, but some back-up for the Browns gets 4 sacks against him. Hopefully, cutting him made him realize he has to work each and every week, not just the big name weeks. He will be an improvement day 1. Either at LT or RT and Gilbert to LT (which is what I prefer).

Goodfrom55
10-04-2011, 11:23 PM
. . .and the exhalted shall be humbled. . .Let's hope if he signs, he comes back HUNGRY!

LatrobePA
10-04-2011, 11:49 PM
The new line coach will put some anger in his belly!

Scott find the bench!

Black@Gold Forever32
10-04-2011, 11:59 PM
About ****ing time.......It only took Ben almost getting killed every game for the Steelers brass to say hey Scott is a freaking joke and a corpse could block better then him.....

BlitzburghRockCity
10-05-2011, 12:13 AM
About ****ing time.......It only took Ben almost getting killed every game for the Steelers brass to say hey Scott is a freaking joke and a corpse could block better then him.....

Exactly, you have to beat this team over the head before they realize they should have called up Starks weeks ago. You're QB nearly gets killed for the first month of the season before you realize you need some help. It's not like Scott was an unknown commodity and you wanted to see if he could the job. Starks should have been on the roster after the 2nd game atleast.

From what I've heard he's worked hard to get his weight back down and at this point a 75% Max Starks is better than a 110% Jonathan Scott or Trai Essex.

LarryNJ
10-05-2011, 12:17 AM
mixed emotions...got to be better then what we have BUT if he is why isn't he playing somewhere?? How long will it take him to get in football shape??

I feel the same way. We are not the only team with huge holes on the O line. The Jets & Eagles are very bad. Hopefully he realized that he might play somewhere and stayed in shape.

mwittman5
10-05-2011, 12:17 AM
Dulac is saying Starks won't start. He's just depth and has lost 60 lbs.

Diehardsteel
10-05-2011, 12:55 AM
Dulac is saying Starks won't start. He's just depth and has lost 60 lbs.

Our O-line minus Pouncey and Gilbert are made of glass. He'll be in there soon enough. I'd bet he plays against the titans if we end up bringing him in.

Danger DANJ
10-05-2011, 06:33 AM
Come on Steelers! Bring back Flo to play RT and move Gilbert to LT. Starks is surely better than Scott and Essex but that's not saying much. At least Ben will have an extra second before he gets hit from the blind side.

NC Joker
10-05-2011, 07:03 AM
If max signs Trai will move back to guard maybe. It will be between Trai and Foster to fill that spot. Legs will be a back up again and either they waive Scott or Meridith. But either way you will now see a big difference in the running game. Passing game also will be a lot better. Still a young group but I'll take it. this line up may get us back to the way we suppose to be..

Nolrog
10-05-2011, 07:20 AM
There's a lot of teams that are in need of OL help. If Starks was that good, someone would have signed him before now. Same with Flozell. I'm not sure this is the saviour that people seem to think he is.

cmerrifield
10-05-2011, 08:18 AM
He just tweeted that he is back

coldrolled
10-05-2011, 08:24 AM
Who will they remove?? Hopefully a crappy older OL player and not a rookie like gibson last year.

cmerrifield
10-05-2011, 08:26 AM
Who will they remove?? Hopefully a crappy older OL player and not a rookie like gibson last year.

It depends on how much money he go. If you cut a vet, their salary is guaranteed and will still count against the cap, a younger player (4 years or less) wouldnt. I am guessing Jamon Meredith, but I was wrong. Steelers Digest justed tweeted Chris Scott.

SteelDad
10-05-2011, 08:36 AM
Let's keep it in perspective here folks. Is Max an upgrade to anything we currently have? Absolutely, but let's not expect the second coming of Anthony Munoz. He's been away from the game for awhile so let's give a chance before we react one way or the other. Either way, glad to have him back.

cmerrifield
10-05-2011, 08:40 AM
Let's keep it in perspective here folks. Is Max an upgrade to anything we currently have? Absolutely, but let's not expect the second coming of Anthony Munoz. He's been away from the game for awhile so let's give a chance before we react one way or the other. Either way, glad to have him back.

Did you see Essex most of Sunday, or J. Scott most of this year? He might be rusty during the Titans game and be the backup, but after that I expect to see him starting on one side or the other. When Max wants to be, he is far superior to J. Scott or Gilbert now, but Gilbert is getting better.

jpele
10-05-2011, 08:49 AM
The fact that Max is coming back and will most likely be an upgrade says a lot about our coaching staff and none of it is good.

SteelCurtain17
10-05-2011, 09:09 AM
Bout time!

SteelDad
10-05-2011, 09:16 AM
Did you see Essex most of Sunday, or J. Scott most of this year? He might be rusty during the Titans game and be the backup, but after that I expect to see him starting on one side or the other. When Max wants to be, he is far superior to J. Scott or Gilbert now, but Gilbert is getting better.

Yup. I saw Essex and everyone else on the field... My point is that when Max gives up a sack, I can't wait for the typical knee jerk reaction ripping on him. The guy will need time. Being in shape is far different than being in football shape. Am I glad we have him back? Hell yes, but let's not buy playoff tix just yet.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-05-2011, 09:17 AM
The Steelers announced on the team's Facebook page Wednesday morning they have signed Max Starks to help them shore up the team's injury-plagued and struggling offensive line.

Starks, addressing the Steeler Nation, also posted to his Twitter account, "It is with great pleasure that I thank you for your prayers and support! I'm back!"
To make room on the roster for Starks, the Steelers said they have waived right tackle Chris Scott.

From the PG (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11278/1179835-100.stm#ixzz1ZuQ6cCCL)

SteelDad
10-05-2011, 09:17 AM
The fact that Max is coming back and will most likely be an upgrade says a lot about our coaching staff and none of it is good.

And front office...

LatrobePA
10-05-2011, 09:41 AM
Yup. I saw Essex and everyone else on the field... My point is that when Max gives up a sack, I can't wait for the typical knee jerk reaction ripping on him. The guy will need time. Being in shape is far different than being in football shape. Am I glad we have him back? Hell yes, but let's not buy playoff tix just yet.

I swear I wont! lol

BlitzburghRockCity
10-05-2011, 10:22 AM
Rumors are that Starks has lost as much as 60 lbs; so it appears that we'll see a much more slimmed down Max when he does take the field. All I know is that I'm glad he's back in the fold.

Rampage
10-05-2011, 12:47 PM
Rumors are that Starks has lost as much as 60 lbs; so it appears that we'll see a much more slimmed down Max when he does take the field. All I know is that I'm glad he's back in the fold.

The man is svelte now.

SteelDad
10-05-2011, 12:57 PM
The man is svelte now.

Rampage said, "svelte.":lol:

steelspikes
10-05-2011, 07:46 PM
Yeah, this move is a head scratcher. You wonder why no other team made a move to pick up Starks. He performed solidly in the past. Let's hope he can still get the job done.