PDA

View Full Version : Can the Steelers still win the division if they dont win the next 3 games??

Troyisabeast_43
10-04-2011, 03:11 PM
And put there record at 5-2 going into the back to back home games against the Patriots and Ravens in late October and early November. I say this because the Steelers are already a game behind the Ravens in the standings and have already lost the head to head tiebraker with them as well. Plus, the Ravens schedule the next 3 weeks after their bye week this week before they play the Steelers are at home against Houston, at Jacksonville on a Monday night and at home against Arizona. The only game I can potentially see the Ravens losing is to the Texans the week after their bye week. If the Ravens dont lose that game they most definitely are going to beat both the Jags and Cardinals which would put them at 6-1 going into the rematch with the Steelers here on November 6th. So when you break things down the only game the Steelers really can afford to lose in the next 4 games before the Ravens rematch here is to the Patriots. That means the worst case scenario would be if the Steelers win the next 3 with the Titans,Jags,and Cardinals and lose to the Patriots it would put them at 5-3 headed into that Ravens game which would then put that game at an absolute MUST win for the Steelers if they were to have any hopes at all of still winning the North.

While we're at it let's not completely dismiss the Bengals and Browns from this conversation as well seeing that they are both sitting at 2-2 as well after 4 games the same record as the Steelers have. So with that being said, not only do the Steelers have to worry about keeping pace with the Ravens in the division they also have to hope that both the Browns and Bengals dont keep winning games here and there as well. And looking at both the Browns and Bengals schedules the next 3-4 weeks they have a lot of games on their schedules that they can definitely win and still keep pace with the Steelers. So for everybody who wants to totally bury and dismiss these two teams I wouldnt completely do so just yet. The bottom line is this the Steelers in my opinion have to win these next 3 games and be 5-2 going into that Patriots game because it looks like as of now if I am a betting man that unless the Texans beat the Ravens after their bye week the Ravens are going to be 6-1 going into their rematch with the Steelers here in November, and the most you want to be back of the Ravens is 2 games in the loss column. That's why it's so imperative that the Steelers win these next 3 games with the Titans,Jags,and Cards.

steelchamp204
10-04-2011, 03:13 PM
No Way in Hell

Troyisabeast_43
10-04-2011, 03:35 PM
I agree I dont think they can either because at this point unless things drastically improve I cant see anyway possible the Steelers beat both the Patriots and Ravens back to back weeks even if both games are at home. The best they do in those 2 games is a split and that in itself is going to be a tough task. You would much rather lose to the Pats then the Ravens if you had to drop 1 of the 2 games simply for division purposes, but the Steelers simply cannot afford to go into those games with the Patriots and Ravens with 3 losses with the possibility of having 4 losses if you lose to the Patriots seeing that the Ravens probably will still only have 1 loss and still hold the head to head tiebraker. You gotta win the next 3 games against the Titans,Jags,and Cards in my opinion period end of story...

LatrobePA
10-04-2011, 03:38 PM
After seeing them play the past few weeks there isn't a for sure win this whole damn season...

BlitzburghRockCity
10-04-2011, 04:34 PM
Be careful about buying into the Bengals and Browns still. Especially the Bengals. These are young , inexperienced teams that are bound to win some games but aren't ready to contend for the division yet.

As far as the division goes, the Steelers cannot afford to drop more than 2 games back from the Ravens, I agree with you. I say that because if we can get our act together, the games after our bye are extremely winnable and this team could run the table after that. That means you have to win the November game in Pittsburgh vs Baltimore and then figure they will drop atleast 1 or 2 more after that at some point.

The Ravens schedule is a cake walk after 11/13. The only potential tough games for them after that are the 49ers and Chargers. Other than that it's AFC North teams, the Seahawks etc.

Nolrog
10-04-2011, 04:52 PM
Be careful about buying into the Bengals and Browns still.

I'm not buying into the Bengals and the Browns, I'm selling into the Steelers. I considered them 4 easy wins before the season started, but now I don't think that's reasonable. With the way this team is playing, there's no such thing as an easy win anymore.

Diehardsteel
10-04-2011, 04:57 PM
I'm not buying into the Bengals and the Browns, I'm selling into the Steelers. I considered them 4 easy wins before the season started, but now I don't think that's reasonable. With the way this team is playing, there's no such thing as an easy win anymore.

:clap::clap:

JShare86
10-04-2011, 05:08 PM
No way we win division but by the looks of the remaining schedule there's no way we don't finish at least 11-5 assuming we lose to pats and rats again then one more out of bengals browns bengals browns jags titans cardinals rams 49ers chiefs

Troyisabeast_43
10-04-2011, 05:09 PM
Be careful about buying into the Bengals and Browns still. Especially the Bengals. These are young , inexperienced teams that are bound to win some games but aren't ready to contend for the division yet.

As far as the division goes, the Steelers cannot afford to drop more than 2 games back from the Ravens, I agree with you. I say that because if we can get our act together, the games after our bye are extremely winnable and this team could run the table after that. That means you have to win the November game in Pittsburgh vs Baltimore and then figure they will drop atleast 1 or 2 more after that at some point.

The Ravens schedule is a cake walk after 11/13. The only potential tough games for them after that are the 49ers and Chargers. Other than that it's AFC North teams, the Seahawks etc.
Im not buying into the Browns and the Bengals winning this division by any means or being for real just yet but all I am saying is both of them are not completely out of this race yet to the point where you dont have to worry about them anymore. The Bengals next 2 games are against the Jags and Colts and the Browns next few games I believe arent against any world beaters either. So while the Ravens are still the main team to worry about in this division the Browns and the Bengals are still in the race for now and cant be totally dismissed and overlooked just yet...They both at the moment have more conference wins then the Steelers at this point and are technically for the time being ahead of the Steelers in the standings...

SteelCurtain17
10-04-2011, 07:02 PM
There is no way they can still win the divison if that happens. The Ravens are too good of a team (atleast defensively). Plus, the Bengals and the Browns aren't complete slouches this year.

Scorp
10-04-2011, 07:23 PM
They won't win it and that's fine cause we've still won the super bowl as a 6th seed. But i'm not expecting that kind of ending either. Bring on the titans.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-04-2011, 07:30 PM
Im not buying into the Browns and the Bengals winning this division by any means or being for real just yet but all I am saying is both of them are not completely out of this race yet to the point where you dont have to worry about them anymore. The Bengals next 2 games are against the Jags and Colts and the Browns next few games I believe arent against any world beaters either. So while the Ravens are still the main team to worry about in this division the Browns and the Bengals are still in the race for now and cant be totally dismissed and overlooked just yet...They both at the moment have more conference wins then the Steelers at this point and are technically for the time being ahead of the Steelers in the standings...

No doubt, you certainly can't write them off. The way the Steelers are playing I'm not ready to guarantee a win by any means either. The race will still come down to the Steelers and Ravens, I have little doubt of that. Right now Baltimore has the clear advantage but the Steelers still have time to get hot and figure things out.

If that happens then I like our chances as much as ever but until we see how they respond over the next month we can only hope they remain within arms reach of the divisional leader. I'm still not convinced the Ravens are going to win every game either. They've been known to lose to teams they shouldn't for one reason or another. Running the table won't happen but I can see atleast a few losses yet for them this year.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-04-2011, 11:24 PM
The good thing about the AFC so far, there is no clear cut dominant team right now. The Patriots, Bills, and Ravens are all playing well but by no means are they invincible. Teams like the Raiders for example, and the Bengals have proven those teams can be beat. This early in the season it's not uncommon to see unknown's making a name for themselves but as the year progresses, especially after the midway point the real contenders will start to make their presence felt.

STEELWILLiam
10-05-2011, 06:40 AM
I know there is still a lot of season left. We are only 2-2 so we are not out of it yet, but based on what has gone on early this year it would not surprise me to see us drafting in the middle of the first round. I know O-Line is the biggest need for this team, but with an aging defense unable to stop the run we also could address that in the draft. In my opinion, Vontaze Burfict would look pretty good in Black and Gold. They say that he is the meanest man in the NCAA, and I would have to say he is not far from it. Just watching him play, i can't help but think that he looks like a Steeler. LB is not our biggest need, but with Farrior getting old and close to retirement, this could be a great pick for us. Any thoughts? :tt02:

Steelers_All_Day_43
10-05-2011, 06:46 AM
Draft talk already ?

SteelDad
10-05-2011, 07:32 AM
Draft talk already ?

You'll have to excuse his eagerness. He's from Michigan where in any other year Lions' fan is talking about the draft by September 15th. Osmosis must have occurred here. Besides, I don't know if we are in a position to NOT think about our future...

Nolrog
10-05-2011, 08:15 AM
LB is not our biggest need, but with Farrior getting old and close to retirement, this could be a great pick for us. Any thoughts? :tt02:

A high pick on a LB right now would be a poor move. He may turn out to be really great, but our OL and DL are so bad, that they have to be the focus in the draft.

connecticutsteel
10-05-2011, 09:09 AM
STARKS WILL BRING A BALANCE BACK TO THE O-LINE we might be ok the question is do you sit gilbert grape or scott

Rampage
10-05-2011, 11:45 AM
If they lose the next three, the season is over, because they sure as hell won't rebound against the Patriots and Ravens in back-to-back weeks. If anything, now is the time for the team to rattle off three consecutive wins so that they can weather the storm of two good teams. If you beat the Titans, Jaguars and Cardinals, then going 0-2 against the Patriots and Ravens doesn't hurt as bad. If you can pull out one of those two games, preferably against the Ravens, then you control your destiny.

STEELWILLiam
10-05-2011, 02:03 PM
I know it is definitely too early to assume our season is over, but I am just a big fan of Burfict. Also I do realize that OL and DL are bigger needs than LB right now, but I think the DL will be fine once Tomlin gives the young guns a chance to play. The OL is horrible, but I am glad to see we made a move to get Starks back. I just think Burfict would be a great fit as a Steeler. He seems to have all of the skills and the tenacity to play LB for the Steelers.

LatrobePA
10-05-2011, 02:18 PM
I'd go punter in the first round...

steelspikes
10-05-2011, 06:53 PM
Ravens catch a break in a.) playing Texans @ home, and
b.) not having to deal with Andre Johnson

So, it is correct to expect them to be 6-1 for Steeler game @ Heinz. And Tomlin recognizes early crisis point to Steeler season.

Nolrog
10-05-2011, 09:41 PM
If they go into the NE game at 2-5, there's no way they can win the division. In fact, if that happens (2-5 going into NE), I don't think they'd finish with a winning record.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-06-2011, 03:29 PM
If they lose the next three, the season is over, because they sure as hell won't rebound against the Patriots and Ravens in back-to-back weeks. If anything, now is the time for the team to rattle off three consecutive wins so that they can weather the storm of two good teams. If you beat the Titans, Jaguars and Cardinals, then going 0-2 against the Patriots and Ravens doesn't hurt as bad. If you can pull out one of those two games, preferably against the Ravens, then you control your destiny.

That's the thing I worry about too. If they don't get on a hot streak now and give themselves a bit of a buffer heading into those tough games before the bye week they'll be in trouble. Even if they do rattle off a bunch of wins late in the year when the schedule seemingly gets easier, the Ravens have an easy schedule then too so the chance to make up ground lessens dramatically.

None of us expects the Ravens to run the table, so anything can happen but you don't want to be chasing them being behind 2 or 3 games heading into late November.

If that scenario happens, it'll be somewhat similar to the year after we won SB XL when things just never got on track and they lost entirely too many games that they shouldn't.