PDA

View Full Version : Stopping C2J

SnakeEyes43
10-03-2011, 08:24 PM
How will the Steelers stop Chris Johnson this Sunday? We rank 23rd against the run right now, and C2J seems to be getting back on track. I have a bad feeling that Johnson is due for a good game against the Steelers. What are your opinions about this upcoming week regarding bottling up the Titans run game?

SteelJunkie
10-03-2011, 08:37 PM
I think we are in a world of trouble this game. We need a lot to happen to get this win. Titans are good at running and protecting the QB. Those are 2 big weaknesses of our defense sopping the run, and getting to the quarterback. We have gotten lucky they lost Britt, but still they give plenty of time in the pocket. We need a huge showing from our defensive line to stay in this one.

Offensively we need someone to actually block regardless of who the quarterback is. The Steelers managed to block for about 1 quarter during the Texans game, and if they want to start winning games they need to learn how to do it for an entire game. I'm usually more optimistic than this, but lets face it until they can start doing the basics consistently then there is no proof they can. Tomlin likes to say that the body of work is on tape, so far if we cut up all the game tapes this season we might get close to a full game that we are use to.

LatrobePA
10-03-2011, 08:39 PM
CJ is due for a huge breakout 2011 game and guess who he faces? Yep our old slow *** d line, it'll be a long day for them as I don't think we will come close to keeping him under 150-160...

SnakeEyes43
10-03-2011, 08:47 PM
CJ is due for a huge breakout 2011 game

This is exactly what I'm afraid of. Not only is C2J showing signs of improvement every week, but he's due for a big game against the Steelers. I have a bad feeling about this game...

Goodfrom55
10-03-2011, 08:55 PM
Steelers need to penetrate the line and force him to stop and start. They also need to maintain contain on the backside of the play as to prevent cut back runs (like Foster's 42 yard TD). And most importantly, unlike most of the grabbing at shoulder pads we have seen in recent weeks, the defense needs to drive through the RB, aiming at his legs.

Of course the biggest way to take CJ out of the game is to build a lead so the Titans have to abandon the run and throw the ball.

Nolrog
10-04-2011, 04:08 AM
I have a bad feeling about this game...

Same.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-04-2011, 08:27 AM
This is a game that the Steelers need to take to heart and really buckle down for. The Titans are looking to Johnson to pick up the slack in the running game and give them more than just Matt Hasselbeck throwing the ball on offense.

Call me crazy but this could be the week that the Steelers defense decides to show up against the run and rectify the weeks of ineptness.

As far as what it takes, it takes gap sound defense above all else. You stay in your lane, force Johnson to run where you want him to run so the linebackers and safeties can make the stop. If you give him more than 1 lane to run through you might as well hang it up.

LatrobePA
10-04-2011, 11:48 AM
The D has been playing flat since Feb I don't see them making a complete 180 this week..

CJ will carve these fools up!!

Rampage
10-04-2011, 11:50 AM
I have a good feeling about this game. Time for this team to get pissed: They used to be a proud defense and they aren't stopping the run or getting to the QB anymore. Do it this week. The offensive line hasn't protected the QB AT ALL this season. Do it this week. Time for them to step up, and week five, at home, against a solid opponent is the time to do it.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-04-2011, 04:26 PM
The Titans will be coming into this game thinking that CJ is going to run rampant and they'll have a field day. You know they are watcing the film on everyone that's had success against us this year.

The Steelers beaten, battered, and humiliated this season. This proud team needs to stand up and find a way to get it done. Harrison or not, no matter who is in they need to step up their game and get the win at home.

They've stopped Johnson before and made him a non factor, they can do it again! Can is the operative word here.

SteelCurtain17
10-04-2011, 09:10 PM
Like many of you have pointed out, I'm very afraid that Chris Johnson will have his breakout game this week. It's tough to imagine the Steelers having a huge turnaround and just shut him down, but hey you never know.

Goodfrom55
10-04-2011, 09:18 PM
Outside of a very predictable letdown by the Ravens, the Titand haven't beaten anyone to instill fear in me about this game. They barely beat Jacksonville, barely beat Denver, and they roughed up Cleveland whom I believe is overrated. Stop CJ, pressure Hasselcrack, Steelers win.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-05-2011, 03:33 PM
The Steelers have zero room for any type of thinking that says "we're ok" "we'll figure it out" "it's still early". Johnson will run rampant over them if they don't step up and improve their play on the field.

Stay in your gaps, get off your blocks, and don't over compensate. If CJ makes more than 1 move the defense is done. They have to gang tackle him and string out the plays as much as they can. If you give him a crease up the middle the play is over and he'll be gone. If you stay in your gaps and force him to run where you want, you can get your linebackers and safeties enough time to get in and make the play.