PDA

View Full Version : I thought "the standard is the standard"

JShare86
10-03-2011, 02:12 PM
One of Tomlins favorite lines he sure dont live by it. Like a lot of u on here have been saying he rides with the veterans no matter what. Even if the rookies play better and have much more talent so........ Why aren't the veterans being held to this "standard that is the standard" come on tomlin give 55 97 96 33 23 and all the other young talented players that have proved they are capable.

SteelDad
10-03-2011, 02:16 PM
One of Tomlins favorite lines he sure dont live by it. Like a lot of u on here have been saying he rides with the veterans no matter what. Even if the rookies play better and have much more talent so........ Why aren't the veterans being held to this "standard that is the standard" come on tomlin give 55 97 96 33 23 and all the other young talented players that have proved they are capable.

Tomlin's loyalty issues have long been an issue here at SA. I know with each of the players you've mentioned there is always something they "don't do well enough." My guess is that if we are sitting at .500 or worse after the next four games and Baltimore is still rolling, then you'll see some of these younger guys. Absolutely no reason for them not to be in at that point.

Rampage
10-03-2011, 02:20 PM
The standard is the standard. The only problem is that the standard is too low.

LatrobePA
10-03-2011, 02:36 PM
Tomlin is a douche!

coldrolled
10-03-2011, 02:53 PM
Fire Arians...

LatrobePA
10-03-2011, 02:54 PM
Fire Arians...

And that, I can count back 3 years when I first read your wise post stating this, lets hope someone higher up reads it and makes the move!!

Troyisabeast_43
10-03-2011, 03:00 PM
I dont agree with or like a lot of the decisions Tomlin has made or some of his coaching style in particular his clock management over the last few years but Im not ready to sit here and bash the guy to death. The man has still been to 2 Super Bowls in the last 3 seasons and won 1 of them and has won the AFC North in 3 of the 4 seasons he has been the head coach and still might do it this season for a 4th time when all is said and done...

BlitzburghRockCity
10-03-2011, 03:23 PM
I dont agree with or like a lot of the decisions Tomlin has made or some of his coaching style in particular his clock management over the last few years but Im not ready to sit here and bash the guy to death. The man has still been to 2 Super Bowls in the last 3 seasons and won 1 of them and has won the AFC North in 3 of the 4 seasons he has been the head coach and still might do it this season for a 4th time when all is said and done...

No Steelers fan can discount the things that Tomlin has accomplished in his young career. There are dozens of teams in the league that would to be in the Steelers position in any given year.

The Steelers loyalty to veterans goes back way before Tomlin ever got here. It's been that way since Cowher was here and it's the way the Rooney's like to do things. Steeler coaches don't like rookies, they don't trust them. It takes a lot for a young player, especially on defense, to crack the lineup for any reason other than injury to the starter. It's a mindset that's been part of the Steeler philosophy for decades to come.

coldrolled
10-03-2011, 03:52 PM
and cowher spent how many years trying for a super bowl with the old vet theory...

Stairwayto7
10-03-2011, 04:45 PM
The standard may be the standard, but with some old, and some subpar players we just cant get it done. The Oline, if it were one position we were weak at then the standard wouldnt be so hard to keep up with, but when your weak at over half the line????

And on defense if only one starter was to old, but when 4 or 5 are???

Sure I would love to see slyvester in there. I think Lewis did a good job yesterday. Worilds looked solid, Hoods been playing. Heyward??

steelchamp204
10-03-2011, 05:24 PM
The standard must be below a midgets knee.

Stairwayto7
10-03-2011, 05:49 PM
One thing we have to consider, although we didnt look good against Balt. we still lost to a good texans team, and we were in it easily had chances to win. We came into the year with a mediocre line, and lost 3 starters already, Im giving Tomlin the benefit of doubt here, and Im going to give him some time to starighten the ship.

HUNT4SEVEN
10-03-2011, 09:23 PM
Even Noll preferred vets over rookies, I believe it's the Rooney way also not just our coaches way, I just wanna c Tomlin bring in a new O-coordinator and new D-coordinator we need new schemes these schemes have been here since BC was coach,and seeing that our current o-line can't get the job done we mine as well get the young player as much game experience as possible, we will be alright we have had more winning seasons then losing seasons we just have to have a great 2012 draft.

Goodfrom55
10-03-2011, 09:44 PM
Steeler coaches don't like rookies, they don't trust them. It takes a lot for a young player, especially on defense, to crack the lineup for any reason other than injury to the starter. It's a mindset that's been part of the Steeler philosophy for decades to come.

Evolution . . . Adapt, Conform, Adjust or be left behind.

They took a chance on Pouncey last year and I'd say it worked out pretty well. Would love to see Sylvester get some playing time and keep Foote on Specials.

jpele
10-03-2011, 09:45 PM
Even Noll preferred vets over rookies, I believe it's the Rooney way also not just our coaches way

I believe it was in an interview last year Art II said he wanted to see younger players contribute more. M.T. just wasn't paying attention.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk