PDA

View Full Version : Does Roethlisberger need to adjust his game as well?

BlitzburghRockCity
10-03-2011, 10:44 AM
Blame the offensive line all you want and you would be spot on. The problems with the front 5 guys are staggering and well documented.

Let's not forget that our super star, although battered and beaten, Quarterback is not the same guy either. All year long something has been off, from week 1. For every beautiful pass to Mike Wallace, there are a half dozen overthrown, underthrown, or misread routes that cost the Steelers on any given week. For every big play to Heath Miller there are multiple missed check downs and open targets that could have saved Ben from taking a sack or getting knocked down.

Something is off with Ben this year and it's not just the injuries. Perhaps he's worried about the pressure that's coming that he's pressing to much. I would actually think that could be a big part of it. Maybe after such an emotional year in 2010 he hasn't fulled recovered. The lack of offseason preparation with his team may have affected him more than other QB's.

The fact is that Ben is clearly not on his game regardless of how many big plays he's made. You just don't get that confident feeling when he comes out on the field late in the game, like you used too.

We all know he holds onto the ball too long, he always will. It makes no sense to beat that dead horse but in reality Ben may need to adjust his game just to survive in 2011.

steelchamp204
10-03-2011, 10:52 AM
I think he cant settle in the pocket even if he does have a decent pocket to stand in. I think with all the sacks and hits hes taken in the past and this season is definatly effecting his game. He hasnt looked good throwing the ball and like you said, he has missed alot of easy passes deep,short whatever. I dont think hes making the right rads with the defenses and I wish he would use more no huddle. I know we cant sometimes and we have arians but I think ben needs to run the show and take it upon himself to run it and tell arians to stfu on the sideline.

LatrobePA
10-03-2011, 10:53 AM
HELL YEA! A number of times he had a RB for a quick check down but keeps looking for the deep ball...

coldrolled
10-03-2011, 11:21 AM
HELL YEA! A number of times he had a RB for a quick check down but keeps looking for the deep ball...

when everyone is covered and the pressure is on him, throw it the f,,,k out of play...

BlitzburghRockCity
10-03-2011, 11:31 AM
In that 3rd quarter, when he had all kinds of time to throw and they were controlling the clock, he still looked unsettled. He missed a wide open Antonio Brown on 1 occasion and hurried a throw to Mike Wallace that went incomplete.

If the line doesn't get fixed, Ben's happy feet and nervousness in the pocket is only going to get worse. He wants to go downfield so bad, and those plays take longer to develop. With an Arians offense it's an all or nothing type of deal. If they can't go long it's like they just try and settle for something short and it ends up not working.

Unless they make a conscious effort to use the short passing game, like they did in the 3rd quarter on that opening drive, he is going to continue to get killed. I just can't understand why they don't go to this exclusively. It's plain as day common sense. Ben will calm down when he is able to get into the flow of the game and not get hit every time. The only way to do that right now is short quick passes. He would get more comfortable with the check downs and quick throws and everything would start to fall into place for the talent we have at the skill positions.

Not that I expect this to happen because the Steelers won't do it.

Rampage
10-03-2011, 11:32 AM
Two things that Roethlisberger needs to learn:

#1: Throw the ball away if the play isn't there. Some sacks and interceptions can be easily avoided if you live to fight another down, so to speak. This has been an issue for him since he entered the league.

#2: Check the ball down. Whenever Ben gets a TE or RB to run a short route out into the flat, he'll still force the pass into tight coverage down field to try an hit a home run: Take what's there and let your receiver do some of the work. It seems to work for just about every other team.

steelersbabex25
10-03-2011, 11:46 AM
Hey. How come when he says it everyone agrees?! :rant2: :lol:

--- Added 10/3/2011 at 10:46 AM ---

Roethlisberger technically had 3 turnovers in this game also. :OA02:

LatrobePA
10-03-2011, 12:12 PM
The check downs were there I swear! He is too programed to look deep!

When we needed 7 and he went incomplete for 30, that's a problem IMO!

BlitzburghRockCity
10-03-2011, 03:06 PM
It would dramatically cut down on his turnovers as well. Those fumbles that come when he's being sacked would be reduced to a minor inconvenience rather than the trainwreck they are now.

I'm honestly just not sure if Ben is capable of adjusting his game. He's spent his entire life playing the way that he does and to his credit it's served him well. When your supporting cast is in such a state of flux, you have to do your part to help the situation.

Deviouz1
10-03-2011, 03:15 PM
Something is off with Ben this year and it's not just the injuries.

yeah. he got married.

just sayin.

Goodfrom55
10-03-2011, 04:11 PM
yeah. he got married.

just sayin.

That's right! Remember what Mickey said to Rocky, "Women Weaken Legs!".

HE has to go through his progressions and the primary targets are usually downfield. If he has 3 or 4 seconds to throw a pass I would buy into the argument that Ben has to adapt his game. He is lucky to get 2 or 3 seconds most times, if that much. The only way teams will not be able to pin their ears back and rush is if the Steelers establish a running game. Yes, I know, but they looked pretty good wirh Redman back there and a FB? I hope the coaching staff took notice. I'm not sellling my stock on Mendenhall at all, I'd like to see him run with a FB too.

Fire this nit nat and bring back Ron Earhardt to run the offense.

BR7
10-03-2011, 04:25 PM
Fire this nit nat and bring back Ron Earhardt to run the offense.

If it were only that simple

Stairwayto7
10-03-2011, 04:40 PM
I do give Ben alot of credit for making things happen, especially when it appears there is nothing! I think its easy to say " How can you not see that guy open" when we see it on TV and he is running for his life. With that said, he has been off though, I was there, and Ryan and Matt during the preseason game against Atl and he looked great. I think he does want to go deep but we were all licking our chops thinking about the possibilities of Ben going deep with the speed we have. Should he throw the ball away more, probably! But he does have a knack for making something out of nothing.

I will say this to, if we didnt have so many 3rd and longs, it woul dbe easier, defenses wouldnt be able to T off on him. Also 3rd and 21 yesterday not nearly enough time for our O line to help him out

Goodfrom55
10-03-2011, 05:49 PM
Because of the continuous pressure, the Steelers offense has morphed into a sandlot offense. It's sad; I truly feel bad the for the beating Ben takes every week. Yes I know he has millions, but it's not about that. This guy goes out week after week, season after season and gets pounded every week. He's gonna wind up like Muhammad Ali if this keeps up.

steeldoc
10-03-2011, 08:15 PM
Guys, Ben was the only reason we were even in this game. His entire supporting casts just sucked. From play calling to O and D line play these guys just didn't show up. I'm thinking we have the curse of the team that LOST the SB...usually a long ****** season.

SnakeEyes43
10-03-2011, 08:28 PM
Guys, Ben was the only reason we were even in this game. His entire supporting casts just sucked. From play calling to O and D line play these guys just didn't show up. I'm thinking we have the curse of the team that LOST the SB...usually a long ****** season.

Ben and Troy. Those two seem to be the only players playing with any heart.

Yes, Ike has been pretty great too, but he shuts his receiver down so we don't see much of him.

Goodfrom55
10-03-2011, 09:01 PM
Well as much as it might pain Arians, in an effort to not pain Ben any further, he is going to have to utilize some bunch formations and use the TE's a little more in pass protection.

I always liked when they would line up Moore and Miller in the backfield on shotgun formations and have Miller pass protect and then sneak out into the flat where Ben would hit him for 15-20 yard gains. Steelers have great speed at WR, but unless they start hitting the underneath stuff, the defense will never honor it and they will cover the deep threats all day long.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-04-2011, 04:37 PM
The more I think about this, the more I realize that it's almost imperative that Ben make adjustments too. You just can't say, well this is my game, and that's that. Tomlin and Arians need to draw a gameplan that gets the ball out quicker and puts him in situations where he can buy time by rolling out.

You're just shooting yourself in the foot and running into a brick wall repeatedly by letting him sit back there and scan the field for so long or try to make a last minute play. That stuff works when you have a line that can block for atleast 4 seconds while you figure out what you want to do. This group can't do that yet.

Goodfrom55
10-04-2011, 05:14 PM
Stagger the passing routes, a check down, medium routes, and a long route. Roll the pocket, hard count once in a while, and for the love of God, tell Pouncey to stop bobbing his head right before he is going to snap the ball. This is a DEAD GIVEAWAY on when the snap is going to occur and the defensive line knows it.

steelersbabex25
10-04-2011, 05:22 PM
I would like a designed to play to role Ben out every once in a while too. Just a thought.

SteelCurtain17
10-04-2011, 06:27 PM
I will admit that Ben has struggled this year when it comes to overthrowing guys occasionaly and just flat out mising throws but I really think there is nothing wrong with his game. If you had an offsenive line like he has then you would be worried about the pressure every single play. Until they fix this offensive line its unavoidable for Ben to be perfect.

Raleigh Steel
10-04-2011, 07:22 PM
The more I think about this, the more I realize that it's almost imperative that Ben make adjustments too. You just can't say, well this is my game, and that's that. Tomlin and Arians need to draw a gameplan that gets the ball out quicker and puts him in situations where he can buy time by rolling out.

You're just shooting yourself in the foot and running into a brick wall repeatedly by letting him sit back there and scan the field for so long or try to make a last minute play. That stuff works when you have a line that can block for atleast 4 seconds while you figure out what you want to do. This group can't do that yet.

BRC, tomlin and arians have needed to do this their entire tenure. ben isn't taught to go to the check downs. arians offense is 15 yards or more...no exceptions. when we went to a quicker passing game we moved the ball well. it happened ONE drive. ben and arians are too close and that's not a good thing. he "holds the ball too long" because nobody is open...hell, they aren't even to their break yet. there are no short or intermediate routes. the only short route is the quick wr bubble screen crap.

arians has said that he's gonna run the same stuff regardless of who is in. not giving ben a pass here...it's clear he's not taking it upon himself to do what's best for the offense, he's doing what he's been told by his BFF arians. arians has to change his game and ben's game...he won't so ben won't.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-06-2011, 07:35 AM
Roethlisberger will wear the same kind of protective shoe on his left foot that he wore last season on his right when a bone was broken. He said Wednesday there was no structural damage to his left foot, that it was bruised, but he does not want to take any chances of hurting it more severely.

The shoe will be an extra size larger and have a metal plate in the sole.
"We hope that we don't aggravate it, that's kind of the big key," Roethlisberger said.
He said he wants to make sure the injury does not affect him stepping into his throws or how he plays.

"I play the game a certain way and I don't want to change that. People talk about getting the ball out of your hand faster, do this and do that. But I've been playing this game pretty successfully, this is my eighth year and done a decent job, we've done a good job and the line has done a good job.

"I want to make sure [the linemen] don't get too much blame because a lot of it is my fault. We'll just play the game the way we know how."

From the PG (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11279/1180084-66-0.stm#ixzz1a05uo9Ku)

steelchamp204
10-06-2011, 08:57 AM
From the PG (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11279/1180084-66-0.stm#ixzz1a05uo9Ku)

Remember everyone, this is the guy who wanted arians back :evilshake:. No but in all honesty Ben shouldnt have to change his game. Management should change the way they do things to help Ben to succeed. Hint Hint-Oline?:eek1: