PDA

View Full Version : Where we stand

SteelJunkie
10-02-2011, 11:22 PM
Watching the Jets getting whooped up on by the Ravens. To think we just played them in the Championship game and they are about to fall to 1-3. Philly is also stinking it up. Next couple of weeks for us is going to be gut check time. Should get interesting to see some what is going to happen with these better teams that are in the gutter now.

Well to be honest "It is what it is" we are in last place in the AFC North. We dug ourselves in this hole, and its time to climb out or just have the caretaker start pouring in the dirt. We finally get some home games that are tough but winnable, so lets see what happens.

LatrobePA
10-02-2011, 11:27 PM
Ravens
Bengals
Steelers, Browns tied

We are close to being the worse team in the AFCN.

Katmandu
10-02-2011, 11:35 PM
We are close to being the worse team in the AFCN.Woo-Hoo !!!

SteelJunkie
10-02-2011, 11:35 PM
Actually they have a better conference record atm so technically they are ahead for now. Its all on how you look at it, but I prefer to be on the bottom. They either climb on up or sit there. You would have thought the Baltimore game would have provided incentive, unfortunately the haven't played very well yet.

Troyisabeast_43
10-03-2011, 07:24 AM
Gotta win these next 3 games with the Titans and Jags at home and at Arizona before the Patriots and Ravens come in here at the end of October and the beginning of November. A 3rd loss anytime before that Patriots game is going to make winning this division and catching the Ravens that much more tougher then it already is now...

LatrobePA
10-03-2011, 09:35 AM
The way the Rats dismantled the Jets last night they're going to be in the thick of things at the end, this oline we have is no match right now! Our goose is cooked!

SteelDad
10-03-2011, 09:44 AM
Next 3 games are huge, but far from as winnable as one might think. The Titans are 3-1 and beat the team that dismantled us. Jacksonville can still play defense and if they get MJD rolling our run defense is in trouble and lastly, you have the Cardinals. We never seem to play well there and they will no doubt try throwing all over the place and we no pass rush. The least of my worries is NE or Balt because we have our work cut out for us ahead of them.

TampaSteelGirl
10-03-2011, 09:48 AM
I wouldnt' even be worried about our 2-2 record if were at least losing close games...How many penalties on Houston and we still couldn't capitalize on that???
I'm worried about Tennessee and even a bit about Arizona....Pats and Ravens..child please....... but we HAVE to win the next 3 games or we can kiss the playoffs goodbye.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-03-2011, 10:15 AM
Where we stand right now is that we are a 2-2 team. There are 8 other teams with that record and 2 in our own division.

Clearly we are not out of it, clearly the Steelers can certainly get hot and still the win the division. Clearly they should not panic.

Even more clearly though is the problems that this team has and not so clear is if they can actually bounce back. Can they find an offensive line combination that works? Can the defensive line start playing better?

The games coming up until the break don't get any easier but they are winnable if this team can get it's act together. Until they prove they can overcome their age on the defensive line, until Hood can step up and play better, until the offensive line can play better than a high school team, it won't get better.

This is a veteran team, can they dig deep and find a way to overcome themselves? In the past they could but can they this year?

steelersbabex25
10-03-2011, 11:59 AM
Yeah, everyone needs to calm down here. This team still has a huge chance to go 12-4, with 2 more losses to the Pats and Ravens. I don't understand how people even have a thought in their head that we're going to go 4-12 or 5-11 the rest of the season. Um, have you taken a look at our schedule? 4 games against the Browns and Bengals, the Rams, the 49ers. You can be pessimistic, but don't be dumb. The Steelers didn't lose to the awful teams here. They lost to the Ravens and a close game with the Texans, both teams predicted to go far into the playoffs. Everyone needs to take a step back and look at the big picture here. Don't be dumb.

coldrolled
10-03-2011, 12:05 PM
if our new OL would have played together in four pre season games they would probably look better. they need some time to gel.. fire arians.

Rampage
10-03-2011, 12:09 PM
Yeah, everyone needs to calm down here. This team still has a huge chance to go 12-4, with 2 more losses to the Pats and Ravens. I don't understand how people even have a thought in their head that we're going to go 4-12 or 5-11 the rest of the season. Um, have you taken a look at our schedule? 4 games against the Browns and Bengals, the Rams, the 49ers. You can be pessimistic, but don't be dumb. The Steelers didn't lose to the awful teams here. They lost to the Ravens and a close game with the Texans, both teams predicted to go far into the playoffs. Everyone needs to take a step back and look at the big picture here. Don't be dumb.

Yeah, there's no way they go 4-12. I anticipate losses to the Ravens and Patriots if nothing changes, plus an upset loss or two (they never play well in Arizona and the Bengals and Browns both play up to the Steelers). At worst, I could project a 10-6 record for the season with the possibility of going 12-4 if they can somehow right the ship.

Far too early in the season to give up. As pessimistic as I usually am, I think that some things can be turned around, particularly the defensive line's play and the pass rush.

LatrobePA
10-03-2011, 12:14 PM
Yeah, there's no way they go 4-12. I anticipate losses to the Ravens and Patriots if nothing changes, plus an upset loss or two (they never play well in Arizona and the Bengals and Browns both play up to the Steelers). At worst, I could project a 10-6 record for the season with the possibility of going 12-4 if they can somehow right the ship.

Far too early in the season to give up. As pessimistic as I usually am, I think that some things can be turned around, particularly the defensive line's play and the pass rush.

Look for the Bengals to snag at least one win against us..

Troyisabeast_43
10-03-2011, 12:17 PM

I didnt hear anybody sitting here saying 4-12 or 5-11 but there needs to be a sense of urgency on the Steelers part to win these next 3 games with the Titans,Jags,and Cards and be 5-2 headed into the Pats and Ravens games at Heinz Field back to back weeks. The Ravens schedule is not that tough the next month or so so if the Steelers are counting on them losing 2 or 3 games and getting help it's not going to happen. You gotta be able to take care of your own business and stay within a game or at worst 2 games back of them headed into the rematch on November 6th...

TampaSteelGirl
10-03-2011, 12:20 PM

Colts with no Peyton????? Not awful???? Child please....

LatrobePA
10-03-2011, 12:21 PM
I say lucky to end the season 8-8...

--- Added 10/3/2011 at 11:21 AM ---

Maybe he meant not awful against our terrible team..

steelersbabex25
10-03-2011, 12:24 PM

We beat the Colts...

Goodfrom55
10-03-2011, 12:26 PM
Overreation Monday. Let's keep it together here. The point of no return for the Steelers is 7 losses. Once they get 7 losses, they're done. Until then, they have as much chance as anyone in the AFC because it is WIDE OPEN. You guys know better that it doesn't matter what your seeding is in the playoffs, just get in and go from there.

I'm just as upset as the next guy about the way they have been playing but I also realize this: If they were playing mistake free football and still losing, then I would accept it, but playing the way they are, turnovers, not stopping the run, and the line blocking like matadors, they can't get much worse, but they can get a lot better.

Keep your heads up, there's 12 games left.

--- Added 10/3/2011 at 11:26 AM ---

Defense wasn't the problem vs the colts.

steelersbabex25
10-03-2011, 12:27 PM
^^ :rofl: new favorite term. "Overreaction Monday"

Rampage
10-03-2011, 12:31 PM

While I was not impressed with the play against the Colts, you could tell that team was fired up. Everybody was picking against them and they were playing at home at prime time: The perfect time for a team to show it isn't a pushover. The Steelers won that game and that's all that matters right now.

I hate when Tomlin says his typical style points remark, but it's true. A win is a win, and there is not a dramatic difference in the talent level of one team versus another. To be honest, I came into this season expecting the team to lose there, so even without Manning, it's better than I had hoped. As a matter of fact, the record is about what I anticipated coming in, only I would have hoped the team would have played cleaner football in each of the first four games.

Both lines currently need work. The defensive line is not showing any promise, so it's time to get the younger guys involved. I actually am very confident in Hood, Heyward and McClendon and think that these guys could right the ship in the run game and free up the linebackers for more of a pass rush. I am simply hoping the coaches agree with that at some point before it's too late.

The offensive line needs Adams back. I really think that's the only way to rectify these issues: Solidify the right side with Adams, put Gilbert in at LT and keep a TE on his side to help him block. Gilbert has actually done a good job forcing pass rushers around the pocket, but with weak play by both tackles, Ben keeps stepping right into pressure. If one side is fixed and someone is left to assist the tackle on the other side, the o-line could make a drastic turn for the better.

I am crossing my fingers that the coaches change before the season truly is over, because as crazy as it might sound right now, the team has a legitimate shot at the playoffs if there is a rebound.

TampaSteelGirl
10-03-2011, 12:32 PM
We beat the Colts...

Yes a W is a W but it's the way we won...without Peyton we should have shut them out...it's the quality of our playing not the quantity...problem here is we can squeak thru and get to playoffs but then we play teams that will embarass us if we don't start playing better....Im not knocking us out..im just being reasonable. We are not playing Steelers football but it's not entirely the players fault.

HUNT4SEVEN
10-03-2011, 02:53 PM
It would honesty be a blessing to go 4-12 we need high draft picks because the Rooneys are to cheap to go get a URFA, and most teams lock up there top LT and RT, we will be 20-25 million over the cap next year so change is coming but we don't need a major over hall, and i believe we can fix the problems with a great draft in 2012,plus Ben is hurt there is no need in getting him hurt any more by trying to play behind this O-Line, I say bring Mangini in as D-Coordinator and get a new O-Coordinator because we need new schemes as well,we will be ok if we have a loosing season this year they don't happen often in the Burgh.

coldrolled
10-03-2011, 03:01 PM
get a new O-Coordinator because we need new schemes as well

Let Dixon play and have him run around like Cunningham did..

That will keep the pressure off the OL for a while.

Nolrog
10-03-2011, 03:02 PM
It would honesty be a blessing to go 4-12 we need high draft picks because the Rooneys are to cheap to go get a URFA, and most teams lock up there top LT and RT, we will be 20-25 million over the cap next year so change is coming but we don't need a major over hall,

How are they cheap if they are 20-25 million over the cap? They are spending money, lots and lots of money. As much money as the rules allow. And they just gave out a ton of big money contracts.

steelersbabex25
10-03-2011, 05:29 PM
It would honesty be a blessing to go 4-12 we need high draft picks because the Rooneys are to cheap to go get a URFA,

Ugh shut up. It is so annoying when people say that. After 2 losses (to 2 good teams, might I add), everyone is like well, let's cut our losses and lose out. Makes my blood boil. We honstly are the most spoiled fan base in the entire league. Got news for everyone here, the Steelers are not gonna be one of the top 3 teams every year. It's ridiculous how we're not having an amazing start, and people are already throwing in the towel. Give me a break.

steelchamp204
10-03-2011, 05:42 PM
Ugh shut up. It is so annoying when people say that. After 2 losses (to 2 good teams, might I add), everyone is like well, let's cut our losses and lose out. Makes my blood boil. We honstly are the most spoiled fan base in the entire league. Got news for everyone here, the Steelers are not gonna be one of the top 3 teams every year. It's ridiculous how we're not having an amazing start, and people are already throwing in the towel. Give me a break.

If we are to spoiled why wouldnt we care if we went 4-12? I never said we will go 4-12 this season also. I know what your trying to bring up and it had nothing doing predicting going 4-12 or whatever. It was seeing what fans would think about boosting our Oline or win and make the playoffs when we cant beat good teams. Not arguing here just saying.

Goodfrom55
10-03-2011, 05:43 PM

No one specifically, but in general, yes, fans do panic too quickly. 25% of the season is over, there are 12 games left. That's why I borrowed the term, "Overreaction Monday" and used it in a post. I wish they were playing better, but they're not. I do have faith in the Rooneys and the coaching staff (except Arians) that they will adjust accordingly and get this case of football diarreah out of their system.

steelchamp204
10-03-2011, 05:50 PM
This is how the defense is going this year "standard" wise.

1.Hampton-below
2.Keisel-below
3.Smith-below
4.Farrior-below
5.Timmons-MIA
6.Ike-above
7.Troy-above
8.Harrison-above
9.Woodley-below
Gay/Lewis/-Above
Ryan Clark-Above

The back are doing great job this year but noone else is tbh, thats why Im panicking. Ill look at it a different way if we see the younger blodd in there.

Goodfrom55
10-03-2011, 06:40 PM
The D-line is not occupying blockers like it used to and therefore the LB's are getting caught up in the wash at the point of attack. Biggest problem is when an offense runs a stretch play and then cuts it back against the flow of pursuit, backside defenders (Woody and Troy) need to keep contain so RB's like Foster yesterday don't break off 40 yard TD's. Had they played their assignments yesterday, that would have been a 4 yard gain. Just lazy sloppy football - BUT CORRECTABLE.

mwittman5
10-03-2011, 07:14 PM

Exactly, thank you. It's the beginning of a lockout threatened season so a lot of teams aren't up to par yet. If this was the last half and they were playing like this then ok but it's only been 4 games and there is plenty of time to improve.

--- Added 10/3/2011 at 06:14 PM ---

The D-line is not occupying blockers like it used to and therefore the LB's are getting caught up in the wash at the point of attack. Biggest problem is when an offense runs a stretch play and then cuts it back against the flow of pursuit, backside defenders (Woody and Troy) need to keep contain so RB's like Foster yesterday don't break off 40 yard TD's. Had they played their assignments yesterday, that would have been a 4 yard gain. Just lazy sloppy football - BUT CORRECTABLE.

Agreed. Ray Rice did the same thing Foster did. Also the D is having issues against stretch run plays. Play Heyward over Smith.

steelersbabex25
10-03-2011, 07:18 PM
If we are to spoiled why wouldnt we care if we went 4-12?

Because we've lost two games and everyone is acting like the sky is falling, and acting like we're one of the worst teams in the league. No. Stop.

DanRooney
10-04-2011, 12:29 AM
Because we've lost two games and everyone is acting like the sky is falling, and acting like we're one of the worst teams in the league. No. Stop.

We're probably a middle of the pack team. So being one of the worst teams is not far off. We're certainly not top 10 after getting dominated by Baltimore and the Texans (yes we were dominated despite the score), and struggling against the worst team in the league.

steelersbabex25
10-04-2011, 12:33 AM
We're probably a middle of the pack team. So being one of the worst teams is not far off. We're certainly not top 10 after getting dominated by Baltimore and the Texans (yes we were dominated despite the score), and struggling against the worst team in the league.

You can not lump the Steelers with the likes of the Rams and the Bengals and the Browns. I don't care how poorly we're performing.

jpele
10-04-2011, 07:40 AM
I think we're above middle of the pack and we just miss the playoff's.

The Baltimore game was a train wreck ,against the Seahawks we improved, we couldn't put the Colts away but neither could a pretty good Tampa team and although we're giving up yardage we held Houston ( one of the top scoring teams) to 17 points, it could be a lot worse.

Scorp
10-04-2011, 07:21 PM
I think we're above middle of the pack and we just miss the playoff's.

The Baltimore game was a train wreck ,against the Seahawks we improved, we couldn't put the Colts away but neither could a pretty good Tampa team and although we're giving up yardage we held Houston ( one of the top scoring teams) to 17 points, it could be a lot worse.

You gotta remember, just because the Colts didn't have PM they were not going to just lay down. And they proved it. You say it could be alot worse.....The worse just might be in store for us.

SteelCurtain17
10-04-2011, 07:38 PM
These next few games will really tell us where the Steelers stand right now. After the first four games I can say they don't look like much of a playoff team. The only reason they could possibly get in is because the back end of their schedule is pretty easy for the most part. Who know's? The schedule might not be as easy as it looks.

Goodfrom55
10-04-2011, 08:01 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but 3 out of the last 4 years, the Steelers started out 2-2. In 2005 when they won Super Bowl XL, after 12 games, they were 7-5. Let's not flee to higher ground yet.

steelersbabex25
10-04-2011, 08:40 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but 3 out of the last 4 years, the Steelers started out 2-2. In 2005 when they won Super Bowl XL, after 12 games, they were 7-5. Let's not flee to higher ground yet.

Thank. You.