PDA

View Full Version : Where was the red flag?

Stairwayto7
10-02-2011, 05:57 PM
I thought the pass to the TE, when we had them pinned down, had hit the ground??? I was wondering if Tomlin didnt throw it was because he only one timeout left? Anyone esle think we should have challenged that catch?

steelersbabex25
10-02-2011, 05:58 PM
Know what you're talking about and no, that was a catch. Hitting the ground doesn't mean no catch anymore.

TampaSteelGirl
10-02-2011, 06:14 PM
That's what we were all sceaming at the bar!!! No flag yet he's challanged more stupid things!!!!!!!! :cursin:

Stairwayto7
10-02-2011, 06:15 PM
That's what we were all sceaming at the bar!!! No flag yet he's challanged more stupid things!!!!!!!! :cursin:

At that point why not challenge it? We had nothing to lose

TampaSteelGirl
10-02-2011, 06:16 PM

Exactly!!!!! Unless they saw something upstairs we didn't...:dunno:

steelersbabex25
10-02-2011, 06:17 PM

Because it was clearly a catch..

Stairwayto7
10-02-2011, 06:21 PM
Because it was clearly a catch..

It wasnt CLEARLY a catch! Funny that so many people think that it wasnt. What are u an instant replay pro. :bunny:

steelersbabex25
10-02-2011, 06:26 PM
It wasnt CLEARLY a catch! Funny that so many people think that it wasnt. What are u an instant replay pro. :bunny:

Who thinks it wasn't? They showed a replay of it 3 times. It was a catch.

JensK
10-02-2011, 06:32 PM
Should they have thrown a flag? Probably. I was at a very critical time of the game and they had both their challenges left. It would, however, not have been overruled. The rule is that the ball can touch the ground if the ball does move while it does so which was the case here.

Stairwayto7
10-02-2011, 06:35 PM
Should they have thrown a flag? Probably. I was at a very critical time of the game and they had both their challenges left. It would, however, not have been overruled. The rule is that the ball can touch the ground if the ball does move while it does so which was the case here.

And that was my point! It was close enough to challenge. You never know

SteelDad
10-02-2011, 06:37 PM
I thought he clearly trapped it to the ground which would constitute a no-catch, but because of our ridiculously poor clock management in the second half, we couldn't afford to blow our final timeout.

JensK
10-02-2011, 06:41 PM
I thought he clearly trapped it to the ground which would constitute a no-catch, but because of our ridiculously poor clock management in the second half, we couldn't afford to blow our final timeout.

You can do that as long as the ball clearly don't move because of the impact to the ground which, to be perfectly honest, seemed to be the case. I was screaming for a flag as well, but after watching it a couple of times afterwards I think it would have stayed a catch as the ground is not used to help him catch it. But again, as said... You never know.

SteelDad
10-02-2011, 06:45 PM
You can do that as long as the ball clearly don't move because of the impact to the ground which, to be perfectly honest, seemed to be the case. I was screaming for a flag as well, but after watching it a couple of times afterwards I think it would have stayed a catch as the ground is not used to help him catch it. But again, as said... You never know.

It would have been tough to overturn, but my understanding of the rule is that the ground cannot help control the ball. It can only hit the ground when the player clearly has established control of the ball. Oh well, probably wouldn't have mattered much anyway.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-02-2011, 07:11 PM

That's exactly right, they already blew 2 timeouts and that one would have been overturned. I thought it hit the ground too but I'm sure the guys upstairs told him not to challenge.

SteelCurtain17
10-02-2011, 07:19 PM
At first I was upset that Tomlin didn't just throw the flag out there to take a chance but after watching the replay a few times I think it was a pretty obvious catch and they wouldn't have had enough evidence to overturn the original call.

Nolrog
10-02-2011, 07:31 PM
Pretty sure this thread talking about that as well: http://www.steeleraddicts.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32638

As I said there, it was clearly a catch. Plus, because of poor clock management we were left with only 1 TO at that point, so we couldn't take a chance on a challange where it wasn't 100% clear (and it was 100% clear it was a catch from the reverse angle.)

LatrobePA
10-02-2011, 07:43 PM
1 time out left he couldn't afford to lose. Yes the ball hit the ground and yes that play lost us the game..