PDA

View Full Version : Defensive blame falls on the guys you love the most

BlitzburghRockCity
10-02-2011, 04:39 PM
You can't blame this one on Will Gay, Ryan Clark, or Keenan Lewis. Thank goodness the Texans didn't bother passing that much today, they didn't need to.

The defensive blame for this one falls squarely on the guys you love the most. The guys that have helped propel our beloved Steelers to 2 super bowls and 3 appearances. Guys' who's jersey's you wear every Sunday. Players who are legendary among Steelers fans and ones you thought would last forever.

James Harrison, Lamarr Woodley, Casey Hampton, Aaron Smith, James Farrior, Larry Foote. These are guys that we all thought were timeless, invincible, ones that will "find a way to make a play".

Did the Steelers let Hampton, Farrior, and Smith hang on a year too long? It would appear so atleast through the first quarter of the 2011 season. That's not something you normally see out of this team. They make a living out of letting guys go at just the right time. I attribute guys like Farrior and Hampton, and Smith still being around to the front office not getting competent reserves as much as an anything.

As much as you hate to do it, Lebeau falls into this blame too. He can only do so much with the players he has but perhaps he expected more out of his veterans than what he is getting as well.

Rampage
10-02-2011, 04:41 PM
I place the majority of the blame on 98 and 91: They don't occupy blocks, they don't collapse the pocket and they don't stop the run. I love both of these guys, but they look like five years passed between last season and this year.

steelersbabex25
10-02-2011, 04:41 PM
The truth of this makes me die a little inside..

Big T
10-02-2011, 04:43 PM
The defensive line has played almost as pathetic as the O line. Seriously...

Ibleedblk&gld
10-02-2011, 04:44 PM
lewis had a nice breakup on a long pass play...i looked at my buddy and said, "if that was gay, that would have been a TD"

steelersbabex25
10-02-2011, 04:45 PM
lewis had a nice breakup on a long pass play...i looked at my buddy and said, "if that was gay, that would have been a TD"

That was nice, but the weak spot of our secondary has never been sideline passes. I don't think the weak spot of any secondary is sideline passes, really. A pass down the middle with Lewis having single coverage on pretty much any reciever..eh, I'd be a little more nervous about that.

Big T
10-02-2011, 04:46 PM

Right before the snap, I saw the matchup and knew exactly where they were going...I expected 6 points though so that was a pleasant surprise.

SteelJunkie
10-02-2011, 04:48 PM
Did the Steelers let Hampton, Farrior, and Smith hang on a year too long? It would appear so atleast through the first quarter of the 2011 season. That's not something you normally see out of this team. They make a living out of letting guys go at just the right time. I attribute guys like Farrior and Hampton, and Smith still being around to the front office not getting competent reserves as much as an anything.

Smith, Hampton, Farrior, Foote should be their last years. I don't have a problem with Farrior getting subbed. I do have a problem with it being Foote. Get some of the younger guys some reps like we been saying.

steelersbabex25
10-02-2011, 04:48 PM
Smith, Hampton, Farrior, Foote should be their last years. I don't have a problem with Farrior getting subbed. I do have a problem with it being Foote. Get some of the younger guys some reps like we been saying.

Hampton? I think Hampton still has a few years left in him.

Rampage
10-02-2011, 04:50 PM

Maybe as a competitive eater. :lol:

JensK
I HATE that our LB's seem to be running more left and right than hitting the gaps. Not that the d-line is opening a whole lot of them, but they are still waiting on the RBs to get past the d-line before the tackle them instead of meeting them at the LOS.

SteelJunkie

Normally I would agree, but he lost some strength and keeps getting chopped blocked out of the play. Regardless if they keep chopping him his knees won't make it the whole season.

Stairwayto7
10-02-2011, 04:51 PM
At least Smith had a couple nice tackles. Im not impressed with Hood yet! And Hampton, see yah!

BlitzburghRockCity
10-02-2011, 04:53 PM

I thought the same thing heading into this season. He played very well last year and I figured if we could get 1 or 2 more years out of him the front office could draft a stud NT coming up and we'd move on with life.

The Big Snack clearly though has been looking slow. Perhaps the increased but blocking has him playing tentative, or perhaps he's just running out of gas against the zone blocking run attack that he is facing.

Stairwayto7
10-02-2011, 04:54 PM
I will say this though I thought Worlids did a good job filling in for Harrison, I was almost bummed to see harrison come back.

And lets not forget that Hamptons backup Hoke is also 35 and probably done. We could have 5 defenses palyers retire! Not sure we are ready for that,

Rampage
10-02-2011, 04:55 PM
I will say this though I thought Worlids did a good job filling in for Harrison, I was almost bummed to see harrison come back.

And lets not forget that Hamptons backup Hoke is also 35 and probably done. We could have 5 defenses palyers retire! Not sure we are ready for that,

There wouldn't be any drop off in play if they did retire.

DanRooney
10-02-2011, 04:56 PM
The guys I love the most are Troy Polamalu, Lawrence Timmons and James Harrison.

I don't think any of those guys are to blame. Can you imagine if Troy was out of the lineup right now? Holy ****. He seems like the only guy on defense not named Ike playing to his potential. I can't believe how much some of you guys were saying he was the last priority.

I told you guys a long time ago that Woodley was overrated. He's doing absolutely nothing to help the team win.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-02-2011, 05:09 PM
Joe Bendell was talking about this on Cooler Talk on the Steelers Radio Network. It pains you to say it, you hate to admit it, you feel bad for even thinking it but those guys that have seemed to be rock solid for so long just aren't able to get it done anymore.

Now the season isn't over yet and maybe the veteran leadership rallies, we'll wait and see on that. However, reality is reality folks, they ain't gettin any younger and at a time of the year when you think they should be fresh, they clearly are overmatched.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-02-2011, 07:08 PM
Aaron Smith went down in the game, had to be carted off. Cam Heyward came in for a good part of the 2nd half and finished the game. Perhaps this will lead to a silver lining down the road with the extra playing time he's going to get.

I should clarify that I didn't mean Harrison was old and washed up necessarily like I mentioned earlier. I was just lumping him in with the group of guys that are older and clearly not able to perform like they once were. Harrison is still coming back from surgery so he gets a bit of a pass, but still, he is not without blame.

Nolrog
10-02-2011, 07:36 PM
It's mostly the line. They are getting blown off the ball and doing nothing to plug up the holes so the backers can make plays. Plus Farrior is looking really old and slow. Put Sylvester in there; can't do much worse.

Rampage
10-02-2011, 07:42 PM
It's mostly the line. They are getting blown off the ball and doing nothing to plug up the holes so the backers can make plays. Plus Farrior is looking really old and slow. Put Sylvester in there; can't do much worse.

I think this is the time for Sylvester. He's going to need to play sooner than later. Get him reps now, there's no way he'd be worse. He'd get burned because of inexperience, but Farrior gets burned due to lack of speed. Trade one for the other and go with the guy who has upside.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-02-2011, 10:05 PM
Last we heard from sources inside the Steelers facility, Sylvester is not near ready yet. If he were he'd be in there instead of Foote. Perhaps the Steelers love for veterans would keep him out anyways but based on his preseason he's still got a ways to go before he can be counted on to make plays at ILB.

When the defensive line can't get the job done, the Steelers linebackers can't do theirs. Simple as that.

Katmandu
10-02-2011, 10:20 PM
I place the majority of the blame on 98 and 91: They don't occupy blocks, they don't collapse the pocket and they don't stop the run. I love both of these guys, but they look like five years passed between last season and this year.x2. No push at all this year. NONE!

How could it fall off from just (1) off season ???

--- Added 10/2/2011 at 09:20 PM ---

the front office could draft a stud NT coming up and we'd move on with life.
Ever heard of McClendon ?

steelspikes
10-03-2011, 05:48 AM
First quarter of season over. Team on life-support. Prognosis going forward? Bleak. Scoring inability persists. Sadly, Steelers no longer in upper echelon of league. Can still beat bottom dwellers, but can't compete with elite teams at this point. Getting beat bad at line of scrimmage...a virtual unknown for years in Steelerville. That was our game....and it seems to have passed us by. If Ben hurt bad, season over.

Nolrog
10-03-2011, 06:17 AM
Last we heard from sources inside the Steelers facility, Sylvester is not near ready yet. If he were he'd be in there instead of Foote. Perhaps the Steelers love for veterans would keep him out anyways but based on his preseason he's still got a ways to go before he can be counted on to make plays at ILB.

That may be true, however, how's he going to learn if he doesn't get at least a few reps? I feel very strongly that you learn more by doing than by watching.

Blazedby92
10-03-2011, 08:07 AM
There wouldn't be any drop off in play if they did retire.

Are you kidding me?

jackhammer1
10-03-2011, 11:20 AM
Yesterday before the game Boomer said that Houston would have trouble because the Steeler defense was a step above what they were used to playing against. Today, not so much

Rampage
10-03-2011, 11:29 AM
Are you kidding me?

55 getting burned is no different than 51 getting burned; 97 getting blown off the ball is no different than 91 getting blown off the ball. I would rather see guys who actually have upside out on the field instead of guys who are not performing this year and will more than likely not be on the roster next year. Is it better to let these young guys sit on the bench and get the trial by fire next season when they are the starters, or do you give these youngsters opportunities to step up early in the season?

It can't be worse than it is right now, as much as that hurts to say.

LatrobePA
10-03-2011, 11:31 AM
Are you kidding me?

Did you watch Smith, Hampton, Farrior, Foote? They are old and slow add the fact they they cannot tackle, they're useless get them the F out of the game...

HUNT4SEVEN
10-03-2011, 05:57 PM
Hampton still held his own he was not the problem he has been solid since day one for us, A.Smith and Z.Hood were the ones getting abuse C.Heyward also, but after re watching the game it is clear we are our own worse enemy, the unnecessary penalties hurt us bad, and as bad as the O-Line played we still could of won that game, the miss tackles on defense, J.Worilds did play ok when he was in there, this is why i'm ok if we have a bad year and go 4-12 because we don't have to totally rebuild our team we just need to plug a few holes on offense and defense.

Goodfrom55
10-03-2011, 06:45 PM
You can't blame this one on Will Gay, Ryan Clark, or Keenan Lewis. Thank goodness the Texans didn't bother passing that much today, they didn't need to.

The defensive blame for this one falls squarely on the guys you love the most. The guys that have helped propel our beloved Steelers to 2 super bowls and 3 appearances. Guys' who's jersey's you wear every Sunday. Players who are legendary among Steelers fans and ones you thought would last forever.

James Harrison, Lamarr Woodley, Casey Hampton, Aaron Smith, James Farrior, Larry Foote. These are guys that we all thought were timeless, invincible, ones that will "find a way to make a play".

As much as you hate to do it, Lebeau falls into this blame too. He can only do so much with the players he has but perhaps he expected more out of his veterans than what he is getting as well.

Agree especially as it relates to LeBeau who usually gets a pass in these areas. Secondary is playing well so far. But defense can't line up the same way all the time without adjusting to the run game and expect to stop the run. Never though I would see the day when I got excited because the STeelers held a RB to a 3 yard gain. The front 3 just are not getting it done and the LB's are getting caught up in traffic.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-04-2011, 11:34 AM
The secondary playing well is a bit of a misleading fact. Nobody is bothering to pass on us because they can make a living running the ball. Perhaps this will give them time to get their act together so once we do stop the run eventually, the secondary will be ready to defend the pass. :D

SteelCurtain17
10-04-2011, 07:48 PM
We are finally seeing the effects of an aging defense that needs some youth to take over.