PDA

View Full Version : The Steelers run game needs Isaac Redman

BlitzburghRockCity
10-02-2011, 04:12 PM
Mendenhall - 9 carries for 25 yds.
Redman - 6 carries for 40 yds
Moore - 4 carries for 34 yds.

With the Steelers offensive line the way it is, the only clear choice at running back now needs to be Isaac Redman. I like Mendenhall, I've always been a supporter, however it's clear that Redman has a knack for getting the job done behind a line like the Steelers have.

For whatever reason, Rashard has been taking a page out of Dancing with the Stars. He's not hitting the hole, not seeing the field, and just getting stopped time after time. Redman is able to take the handoff and hit the ground running. 1 move and right up the field. He's able to break tackles, run hard, and find the lanes needed to make the play. He doesn't stop moving his legs, that's the big difference I see between the 2.

Rashard left the game with a hamstring which gave way to Red for more playing time. As of now Mendy's status is up in the air but clearly the Steelers need to see what's working and what isn't right now. Isaac is working...

steelersbabex25
10-02-2011, 04:13 PM
Um..I kind of like him more than Mendenhall....:hide:

Ibleedblk&gld
10-02-2011, 04:14 PM
Duh...been saying this...I hate arians

Thisoneguy555
10-02-2011, 04:18 PM
His success this game had nothing to do with him... Look at his numbers from last week against the colts.

The plays Arians called at the beginning of the 2nd half had a lot to do with it. Not to praise Arians, but he had some good half time adjustments in the running game. He has his moments of genius... sometimes...

SteelJunkie
10-02-2011, 04:19 PM
I like them both but lets be honest the blocking was better in the 3rd quarter. Even moore had some nice runs. Now if the did that all game all RB's numbers would have been up.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-02-2011, 04:20 PM
Um..I kind of like him more than Mendenhall....:hide:

I honestly like them both, but the way the Steelers offense is right now they need a guy like Redman to carry the load. He's old school and that helps when you have a line that can't block. If Mendy gets a line with good blocking he can be outstanding, but that isn't the case by any stretch. Last year he only average 3.9 yds per carry I believe.

Do the right thing Arians, get Redman in the game and see what happens. You certainly can't do any worse.

Ibleedblk&gld
10-02-2011, 04:20 PM
Arians calls have nothing to do with the fact that redman has no problem finding the hole when mendy can't...or the fact that he keeps his legs churning and doesn't just fall when he gets hit

steelersbabex25
10-02-2011, 04:24 PM
Arians calls have nothing to do with the fact that redman has no problem finding the hole when mendy can't...or the fact that he keeps his legs churning and doesn't just fall when he gets hit

Exactly. I said it in the gameday thread, I'll say it here. When Mendenhall runs into a pile, it's like he's running into a brick wall. He slinks to the ground, and that's it. No gain, or a run for a loss.

I'm sorry, the excuse that the blocking was better in the second half? That's weak. That was still the Steelers offensive line out there. They didn't just transform into Jon Kolb, Sam Davis, Ray Mansfield, and Mike Webster out there.

Rampage
10-02-2011, 04:29 PM
Refreshing whenever you see a running back who runs through holes and follows blockers. Redman and Moore both looked solid.

Thisoneguy555
10-02-2011, 04:30 PM

Still, putting Redman as the starter wont get him yards if there is no hole.
There were no holes in the first half, but there were some huge holes in the 2nd half, even Moore basically walked through a couple bit ones.

Running backs have to be talented to get 4+ yards a carry when the offensive line sucks.

Arians called some plays where he had a tight end and a guard pull from the left side to the right side to help create the holes. Arians did not call this type of play in the first half, and has rarely called this type of play in general. That huge run in overtime against the falcons last year was the exact same play that Moore and Redman had their 15+ yard runs.

Big T
10-02-2011, 04:30 PM
I'm pretty sure the offensive line just hates Mendenhall. There were no holes for him ALL game, then Redman comes in and there's a hole that Max Starks would've gained 10 yards on. Honestly, I don't get it.

steelersbabex25
10-02-2011, 04:31 PM
There were no holes in the first half, but there were some huge holes in the 2nd half, even Moore basically walked through a couple bit ones.

Running backs have to be talented to get 4+ yards a carry when the offensive line sucks.

Arians called some plays where he had a tight end and a guard pull from the left side to the right side to help create the holes. Arians did not call this type of play in the first half, and has rarely called this type of play in general. That huge run in overtime against the falcons last year was the exact same play that Moore and Redman had their 15+ yard runs.

Then I guess Redman is pretty damn talented.

JensK
10-02-2011, 04:31 PM
Well your wish has been granted. Mendenhall has suffered a Hamstring so I doubt he'll be back next week.

I've always been a big Mendenhall supporter, and while he does not get ANY help from the o-line, he does not play well at all currently. Redman at least gain yards from time to time.

Ibleedblk&gld
10-02-2011, 04:34 PM

I never said make him the starter, but give him more reps ESP on short yardage instead of empty backfield throws on damn near every 3rd and short...mendy doesn't have the strength or bulk to push a pile

steelersbabex25
10-02-2011, 04:36 PM
I never said make him the starter, but give him more reps ESP on short yardage instead of empty backfield throws on damn near every 3rd and short...mendy doesn't have the strength or bulk to push a pile

Agree again here. Not calling for Mendy's head at all, but he definitely shouldn't still be getting 90% of the carries. A mix of Moore, Mendy, and Redman can be dynamite if it's used right.

Thisoneguy555
10-02-2011, 04:36 PM
Then I guess Redman is pretty damn talented.

No, he's alright, but he's no Barry Sanders.

In the first half and last week, he had as crappy of a time running as Mendy. Why? Because there were no holes. IF he was super talented he would have done better than Mendy, not the same.

Mendy had that big touchdown run on in the 2nd half, it was very good blocking. Also for most part of the 3rd quarter, the offensive line was blocking very well in the running game. Not because of talent, but because they weren't running up the gut, they were running around that, using different and exotic blocking schemes.

I did not see any player were Redman was running around that offensive line like he was Barry sanders, he was running the same plays as Moore and Mendy, he had the same success on the same plays they had success on and he had the same failures on the same plays they had failures on.

steelersbabex25
10-02-2011, 04:38 PM

In the first half and last week, he had as crappy of a time running as Mendy. Why? Because there were no holes. IF he was super talented he would have done better than Mendy, not the same.

I'm not sure what game you were watching, but I'm pretty sure last week and in the first half today Redman got a total of like 4 carries.

Thisoneguy555
10-02-2011, 04:41 PM
I'm not sure what game you were watching, but I'm pretty sure last week and in the first half today Redman got a total of like 4 carries.

4 carries for like 6 yards. He had negative yardage up until the play right before the field goal last week where he had like a 3-4 yard run.

I can guarantee you that if he had 10-15 carries last week, it would have been for about 10-15 yards.

Ibleedblk&gld
10-02-2011, 04:41 PM

Mendy had that big touchdown run on in the 2nd half, it was very good blocking. Also for most part of the 3rd quarter, the offensive line was blocking very well in the running game. Not because of talent, but because they weren't running up the gut, they were running around that, using different and exotic blocking schemes.

I did not see any player were Redman was running around that offensive line like he was Barry sanders, he was running the same plays as Moore and Mendy, he had the same success on the same plays they had success on and he had the same failures on the same plays they had failures on.

Last week mendy was 18 for 37
Redman was 3 for 6...

3 carries a game is **** poor given mendy was running poorly

steelersbabex25
10-02-2011, 04:44 PM
4 carries for like 6 yards. He had negative yardage up until the play right before the field goal last week where he had like a 3-4 yard run.

I can guarantee you that if he had 10-15 carries last week, it would have been for about 10-15 yards.

I don't know how you judge how well a guy can run when he only get's 3 carries in 1 1/2 games. There's no chance for redemption. No chance to get into the game. There's no way that you can assume that he would only gain a yard a carry if he became a starter, seeing as he gained almost 7 yards a carry today.

Thisoneguy555
10-02-2011, 04:51 PM
I don't know how you judge how well a guy can run when he only get's 3 carries in 1 1/2 games. There's no chance for redemption. No chance to get into the game. There's no way that you can assume that he would only gain a yard a carry if he became a starter, seeing as he gained almost 7 yards a carry today.

Here's how I know, because he runs straight a head. He doesn't run around anyone. Mendy will lose yards from dancing around, but he can also get big yards bouncing to the outside, it's like a risk reward situation.

Redman wont do this, he runs down hill straight ahead. This line sucks. When Arians calls a run up the gut and there is no hole, Redman is useless, he'll run into his own linemen and fall down.

But when Arians calls a play to the right where the left guard and tight end pull to that side to help create some holes, Redman, and even Moore have had success. This is a play that the Steelers have used since the 90's. Arians has adopted it, but he rarely calls it.

People think Redman is actually shoving defensive linemen out of the way, he's not, he's just been running straight ahead and when there happens to be a hole there, he has success... He is a very good runner when he's in the open field, but he is no better than an average running back in the backfield and he just runs into his offensive linemen and falls to the ground.

steelersbabex25
10-02-2011, 04:53 PM
Here's how I know, because he runs straight a head. He doesn't run around anyone. Mendy will lose yards from dancing around, but he can also get big yards bouncing to the outside, it's like a risk reward situation.

Redman wont do this, he runs down hill straight ahead. This line sucks. When Arians calls a run up the gut and there is no hole, Redman is useless, he'll run into his own linemen and fall down.

But when Arians calls a play to the right where the left guard and tight end pull to that side to help create some holes, Redman, and even Moore have had success. This is a play that the Steelers have used since the 90's. Arians has adopted it, but he rarely calls it.

People think Redman is actually shoving defensive linemen out of the way, he's not, he's just been running straight ahead and when there happens to be a hole there, he has success... He is a very good runner when he's in the open field, but he is no better than an average running back in the backfield and he just runs into his offensive linemen and falls to the ground.

I'm pretty sure you're proving my point and not your own..

Redman ran for 40 yards on 6 carries today. I don't understand how you can dispute what's right in front of you.

Stairwayto7
10-02-2011, 04:59 PM
Mendy is soft! He started playing harder last season the went back to his old self

BlitzburghRockCity
10-02-2011, 05:38 PM
Redman's running style leads you to believe through common sense and what he's done on the field that he is the answer right now. I certainly am not writing off Rashard Mendenhall or saying he should be cut. He's done well as the workhorse for this team since he's gotten here. His running style though doesn't work well with a line as bad as this one is.

Even last year, the line was in trouble but the guys that came in were able to atleast get a decent push in the run game and he was able to use his athletic ability to make plays. He can't even get started because he's trying to do too much instead of taking what little he's being given. Stop the dancing and hit the hole. Redman does it, and Rashard needs to as well. A 1-2 punch is all well and good but right now we're only at a 1 punch.

TampaSteelGirl
10-02-2011, 05:40 PM
Mendy is soft! He started playing harder last season the went back to his old self

I've been screaming for his all along....Mendy can't run through a wet paper bag this season....Im loving what Redman can do so far...

steelersbabex25
10-02-2011, 05:41 PM
A 1-2 punch is all well and good but right now we're only at a 1 punch.

Not even a 1 punch. Like a .5 punch.

TampaSteelGirl
10-02-2011, 05:43 PM
Not even a 1 punch. Like a .5 punch.

Our running game was non existent until Redman came in...

steelchamp204
10-02-2011, 06:00 PM
Didnt I start a thread about this Mendenhall/Redman thing lol? You guys already know who I wanted to start

TampaSteelGirl
10-02-2011, 06:12 PM
Didnt I start a thread about this Mendenhall/Redman thing lol? You guys already know who I wanted to start

REDMAN...REDMAN....REDMAN!!!! :tt02::tt02:

Blazedby92
10-02-2011, 06:15 PM
Exactlly what i have been saying for a while now, Mendy is scared to hit the hole lacks toughness

TampaSteelGirl
10-02-2011, 06:18 PM
Exactlly what i have been saying for a while now, Mendy is scared to hit the hole lacks toughness

I think after Ray Lewis broke his collarbone...he went soft.

steelchamp204
10-02-2011, 06:21 PM
I think after Ray Lewis broke his collarbone...he went soft.

Yea, Ray straight took his manhood from him and ate it/pooped it out/ then gave it back.

TampaSteelGirl
10-02-2011, 06:22 PM
Yea, Ray straight took his manhood from him and ate it/pooped it out/ then gave it back.

Pretty much bro....:yellowthumb:

SteelCurtain17
10-02-2011, 07:17 PM
I think its pretty obvious to everyone that Redman is more effective than Mendenhall. I've been thinking this since last year.

TheButt
10-02-2011, 08:23 PM
Anyone who defends Mendy at this point needs their head examined... Im so sick and tired of him crumbling like a little girl everytime he gets bumped... Redman should be the starter... Period

Black@Gold Forever32
10-02-2011, 08:26 PM
I'm going to say it yet again....Rashard Mendenhall will not receive contract number 2 from the Steelers........

LatrobePA
10-02-2011, 09:21 PM
This oversized TE isn't getting the job done!

HUNT4SEVEN
10-02-2011, 09:59 PM
We also need new schemes on Offense and Defense a new offensive and defensive coordinator, we need a new LT and RT and LE and RE, we need house cleaning i hope we lose the rest of our games maybe then we will get the change we truly need i'm sick of this BS:cursin:

BlitzburghRockCity
10-02-2011, 09:59 PM
Bruce Arians offense does not call for the use of a pure blocking full back. Ever since Danny Kreider was released they haven't even given that position a look in the draft or free agency. We all long for the days of the bruising fullback leading the way for a Steelers runner but it's not going to happen as long as Arians is running the show.

The lack of a ground game is not David Johnson's fault though. He's done a pretty decent job considering it's not his full time position. Honestly the only reason he's in there now is to help chip the pass rushers and in short yardage. They won't justify a roster spot just for that.

Real Deal Steel
10-02-2011, 10:02 PM
I saw what a real FB did for the Texans run game today. Vonte Leach was great clearing out holes

BlitzburghRockCity
10-02-2011, 10:10 PM
That 3rd quarter when Redman took over and Mewelde was in there, that was so refreshing to watch. That was what Steelers football used to. I almost got flashbacks of The Bus out there. No, I'm not comparing the 2, but you know what I mean.

Now, could Redman do that for 60 minutes if called upon? I would certainly like to find out. It's one to come in for spot duty but another to carry the load full time. I would like his chances though I'll tell you that.

SteelJunkie
10-02-2011, 10:29 PM
I think we need to sick to singleback for the season. That way there is only 1 guy running into the back of the offensive line instead of 2. This should cut down on the risk of injuries to our depleted line. :)

jpele
10-02-2011, 10:30 PM
The big difference between the two runners.... Mendenhall takes the handoff then closes his eyes and usually runs into the back of his linemen.

Redman takes the handoff and actually sees the field and hits the seem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NC Joker
10-02-2011, 10:43 PM
Yep in a sense that's called communication. that's really what the O line is lacking. Not saying its their fault but its hard to communicate or get a feel of how a person preforms beside you when there is a different person beside you every week. that's why you keep the same guys out there next week regardless of who is healthy. The key to a good offensive line is consistency. (where in the hell is the spell check).

Blazedby92
10-03-2011, 05:41 AM

No there is no way he did all that cause Mendy never got it back, ha ha

Troyisabeast_43
10-03-2011, 07:28 AM
If Mendenhall is out for a few weeks with his hamstring and Redman ends up getting the start the next few games I cant say I am going to be too upset with it...

Rampage
10-03-2011, 11:25 AM
If Mendenhall is out for a few weeks with his hamstring and Redman ends up getting the start the next few games I cant say I am going to be too upset with it...

It might be what they need. Redman apparently likes to run through the holes that are made for him. Maybe Mendenhall can watch and learn and then philosophize about running through open holes.

steelersbabex25
10-03-2011, 11:49 AM
It might be what they need. Redman apparently likes to run through the holes that are made for him. Maybe Mendenhall can watch and learn and then philosophize about running through open holes.

But the thing with Redman is that even if there aren't holes, he's still going to pick up yards. I've seen very few plays where he's pushed backwards or doesn't gain any yardage.

Rampage
10-03-2011, 12:01 PM
But the thing with Redman is that even if there aren't holes, he's still going to pick up yards. I've seen very few plays where he's pushed backwards or doesn't gain any yardage.

Absolutely. Now, let me say this: I love what Mendenhall is capable of when he has blocking. Last year, the right side of the offensive line excelled at mauling defensive lines in the run game and Mendenhall showed what he was capable of while going off tackle. Unfortunately, the same level of talent no longer exists on that side of the line and it seems like Mendenhall is over thinking his runs.

This is something Redman does not do. Redman never stops; he keeps his feet moving and he hits the line hard. By actually moving forward, he's capable of actually making some significant gains. For now, I think his style of running is complementary to the offensive line's performance.

steelersbabex25
10-03-2011, 12:06 PM
This is something Redman does not do. Redman never stops; he keeps his feet moving and he hits the line hard. By actually moving forward, he's capable of actually making some significant gains. For now, I think his style of running is complementary to the offensive line's performance.

Right, but any RB can excel when they have good blocking. I'll admit, I'm one of those people that once Mendenhall spins and finds an opening, I'm like "OMG HE'S DO GOOD!" And then when he spins and gets wrapped up for a loss of 3, I'm yelling, "WHAT ARE YOU DOING?! JUST HIT THE GUT!!!!" But, how many times really does the spin move get him far? Not many. How many times does it cause him to go down for a loss? A lot of times. That his problem. Once he stops, he's not gonna gain that kind of momentum again. Redman style of running is like, "well, don't see any holes, but my feet are already moving and they're not gonna stop."

Rampage
10-03-2011, 12:11 PM
Right, but any RB can excel when they have good blocking. I'll admit, I'm one of those people that once Mendenhall spins and finds an opening, I'm like "OMG HE'S DO GOOD!" And then when he spins and gets wrapped up for a loss of 3, I'm yelling, "WHAT ARE YOU DOING?! JUST HIT THE GUT!!!!" But, how many times really does the spin move get him far? Not many. How many times does it cause him to go down for a loss? A lot of times. That his problem. Once he stops, he's not gonna gain that kind of momentum again. Redman style of running is like, "well, don't see any holes, but my feet are already moving and they're not gonna stop."

Mendenhall's moves can work very well in the open field, but that's just it: He's never in the open field. Go ahead and spin around behind the line, there are three d-linemen ready to wrap you up.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-03-2011, 05:48 PM
Something else interesting too, Redman appears to see the field better than Mendenhall does this year. His vision and finding the right crease to go after and then hitting it hard allows him to grind out those 1st downs. Rashard is capable of doing it, he's a very powerful back too, but for whatever reason he takes a second or two longer to decide and by then it's light out.

Danger DANJ
10-03-2011, 06:53 PM
I love Redman and I do agree he should get more than just a few carries a game, but did you guys watch the same game I did? When Mendy was in there, there were no holes at all and the line was getting pushed back right off the snap. When Redman and Moore were in there, the line was opening holes and pushing the defense back. It seems as though they started pulling Kemo and others to the right as a lead blocker. They weren't doing that for Mendy. Open holes for Mendy and he'll have just as much success.

I saw what a real FB did for the Texans run game today. Vonte Leach was great clearing out holes

I don't know who you saw but it wasn't Leach.

Vonte Leach was a great lead blocker for the Texans last year helping Arian Foster out, but he is on the Ravens this year helping out Ray Rice. Vonte Leach killed us in week 1.

I would love to see the Steelers go back to using a real FB.

chisteeler
10-03-2011, 08:01 PM
I miss the days of the fullback as well.