PDA

View Full Version : Poor use of timeouts costly again

BlitzburghRockCity
10-02-2011, 03:57 PM
The Steelers use of timeouts this season has been dreadful to say the least. You burn 2 of them early in the 2nd half and you end up with only 1 in a close game. It's one thing to be up by 2 or 3 TD's and burn them. When you're down in the game, trying to claw you're way back, you need to be aware of what's going on and save those TD's.

When the Texans took over with about 2:46 to go the Steelers were already behind the 8 ball. When the stopped Foster on 3rd down they lost over 30 seconds in clock time.

That's as much the players not being aware of the game situation as it is the coaches not preparing them for what they'll see.

steelersbabex25
10-02-2011, 03:59 PM
Awful awful awful coaching right there. In a game like that, I'd almost rather you take the 5 yards than use 2 timeouts that we could have used at the end of that game. Just more terrible clock management.

Thisoneguy555
10-02-2011, 03:59 PM
This has happened this whole season, I don't want to blame Arians, but I feel it's his fault, because the Steelers offense doesn't break the huddle until less than 10 seconds are left on the game clock...
But there are also players who walk back to the huddle like Wallace, no offense to him, but he's the fastest player on the team but after every play he's walking to the huddle like he doesn't give a damn.

JensK
10-02-2011, 04:02 PM
It is what it is...

(see what I did there?)

BlitzburghRockCity
10-02-2011, 04:06 PM
Coaches get as much of the blame as the players do. They take entirely too long getting in and out of the huddle. They aren't aware of the play clock it would appear, at the worst times possible.

steelersbabex25
10-02-2011, 04:07 PM
It is what it is...

(see what I did there?)

Good one.

Nolrog
10-02-2011, 04:18 PM
I noticed this. Three times they were up to the line with only a few seconds left. That never happens to Brady. He's up there with 20 or more seconds like every play. Totally unacceptable, and potentially cost us the game.

Troyisabeast_43
10-02-2011, 04:18 PM
Bengals defeat the Bills so even if the Ravens lose tonight to the Jets the Steelers will be in last place in the AFC North because they only have 1 Afc conference win and the Browns Bengals and Ravens all have at least 2.

Nolrog
10-02-2011, 04:23 PM
Bengals defeat the Bills so even if the Ravens lose tonight to the Jets the Steelers will be in last place in the AFC North because they only have 1 Afc conference win and the Browns Bengals and Ravens all have at least 2.

Wouldn't they be in last place no matter what happens between the Ravens and the Jets?

Rampage
10-02-2011, 04:26 PM
Can't say I was surprised. Time management has always been one of the biggest weaknesses for Tomlin.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-02-2011, 05:02 PM
Atleast he's not challenging every single play and blowing not only a challenge but a timeout as well. Be thankful for that but trust me I hear ya, clock management has been an issue with this team since Tomlin took over. It's not something that should be tolerated and Tomlin himself admits he's a work in progress. You've been a head coach for 4 years now and you're telling me you can't figure out how to teach your team to manage the game clock?

steelchamp204
10-02-2011, 06:03 PM
I think this is the 3rd week in a row were we used a TO in our 5 five mins we had the ball on offense. Our frist possesion.

Bucsfan4ever
10-02-2011, 06:20 PM
Couldn't believe when they took that second TO..thought to myself, Man, you're going to need that later on!!

Clevelandsux
10-02-2011, 10:02 PM
Seems like since Tomlin has been coach, we've had nothing but bad clock management. We pissed away two timeouts in the 3rd qtr. Why can't the offense get the plays off?