PDA

View Full Version : Steelers run defense not respected anymore

BlitzburghRockCity
10-02-2011, 03:47 PM
Opening drive, Texans moved it at will. Started at the 5. 2 or 3 holding calls, and still run it right down the Steelers throat. Blitzes were picked up, tackling was late. 19 plays, 95 yds. 10:55 opening drive.

Arian Foster and the Texans had 90 yds rushing in the first 18 minutes of the game. Foster had 70 yds himself midway through the first quarter. Hampton was getting blown up at the point of attack. Hood was way out of position on several occasions. Polamalu, Foote, Clark, Gay, Woodley all missing tackles or getting to the ball carrier a half step too late. You just can't recover from that type of play when they keep pounding it at you. Well, you should be able to recover but it's clear the Steelers cannot.

They are getting beat at the point of attack, that's the troubling thing. Teams are handing the ball off the back is just getting through the first wave of our defense usually without being touched. By the time anybody lays a hand on the ball carrier he's already got 7 yds.

That play where Foster was stopped when the Texans were inside their own 10, there was no pursuit or follow up and he turned it into a 21 yd run. It's this type of mental errors, lack of concentration, and poor execution that is ravaging what was once the best run defense in the NFL. Teams don't respect the Steelers ability to do anything on defense this year. Anybody and everybody has and will run on the Steelers this year until they prove they can stop it.

Saw a stat in the 4th quarter. On Foster's 42 yd TD run, the longest TD run allowed by a Steelers defense since 2006. With 2 minutes to go had 146 yds on the ground.

SteelJunkie
10-02-2011, 04:03 PM
Ya not even close to the defense we are use seeing.

--- Added 10/2/2011 at 03:03 PM ---

Our season is OVER

Way to early to say that, but if they don't get the ship righted soon then it will be in a few weeks.

steelersbabex25
10-02-2011, 04:03 PM
I hate to say this, and I may get chewed up for it, but I was kind of impressed with our rush defense more than I thought I would be. They screwed the pooch in the first half for sure, I mean Foster got almost 100 yards in 2 quarters. BUT they only allowed 10 points regardless of that, with the help of penalties or not, and that's something to be noted.

And yes, the 41 yard run in the second half was bad, but other than that they stopped everything coming their way in the most important times in the second half. They gave the offense multiple chances, time after time after time to win the game. I blame the offense 100% more than I blame the run defense. Not to mention Arian Foster is one of the top 5 rushers in the league. We aren't gonna see that kind of adversity every game.

Thisoneguy555
10-02-2011, 04:04 PM
If Troy doesn't miss that tackle on that 42 yard run, it's a different story right now. Steelers stuffed Foster pretty much the entire 2nd half up until that run.

JensK
10-02-2011, 04:08 PM
I hate to say this, and I may get chewed up for it, but I was kind of impressed with our rush defense more than I thought I would be. They screwed the pooch in the first half for sure, I mean Foster got almost 100 yards in 2 quarters. BUT they only allowed 10 points regardless of that, with the help of penalties or not, and that's something to be noted.

And yes, the 41 yard run in the second half was bad, but other than that they stopped everything coming their way in the most important times in the second half. They gave the offense multiple chances, time after time after time to win the game. I blame the offense 100% more than I blame the run defense. Not to mention Arian Foster is one of the top 5 rushers in the league. We aren't gonna see that kind of adversity every game.

Lets look at it for a sec here:

They've played against Chris Johnson a few times and held him way under 100y.
Last time we played against Adrian Peterson he ran for around 68y.

This year, when we meet a good RB we give them 140y and 160y (I dont recall the exact numbers). There is absolutely nothing to be impressed of, other than the fact that we are going to rank pretty much last against the run after this week. A good thing is that we'll rank almost 1 against the pass although it is because teams don't pass against us because there is no need to. We don't score points and they can run on us. The perfect combo!

--- Added 10/2/2011 at 03:08 PM ---

If Troy doesn't miss that tackle on that 42 yard run, it's a different story right now. Steelers stuffed Foster pretty much the entire 2nd half up until that run.

If Woodley was even REMOTELY close at taking care of his gap instead of walking around in the backfield doing nothing, Troy would not even "have" to miss that tackle though.

steelersbabex25
10-02-2011, 04:09 PM
Lets look at it for a sec here:

They've played against Chris Johnson a few times and held him way under 100y.
Last time we played against Adrian Peterson he ran for around 68y.

This year, when we meet a good RB we give them 140y and 160y (I dont recall the exact numbers). There is absolutely nothing to be impressed of, other than the fact that we are going to rank pretty much last against the run after this week. A good thing is that we'll rank almost 1 against the pass although it is because teams don't pass against us because there is no need to. We don't score points and they can run on us. The perfect combo!

I don't care if they give up 400 yards rushing as long as they don't let them score. The Texans only scored 10 points in the first half, with a touchdown on the opening drive. I'm sorry, I can't put this game on the defense at all. The offense was far from doing them any favors out there.

Ibleedblk&gld
10-02-2011, 04:12 PM
Our season is OVER

This...we had 1 decent quarter of football today...until we fix our o-line, we're done

JensK
10-02-2011, 04:19 PM
I don't care if they give up 400 yards rushing as long as they don't let them score. The Texans only scored 10 points in the first half, with a touchdown on the opening drive. I'm sorry, I can't put this game on the defense at all. The offense was far from doing them any favors out there.

Well, you should care then :p The first series of the game took like 11 minutes. Even if the Steelers had the best o-line in the game they would loose if the couldnt stop the run. The offense just wouldnt see the field at all. Sure, they may not have scored too many points but that was not the Steelers defense fault as much as Texans doing their best to loose by penalties and whatnot.

steelersbabex25
10-02-2011, 04:20 PM
Well, you should care then :p The first series of the game took like 11 minutes. Even if the Steelers had the best o-line in the game they would loose if the couldnt stop the run. The offense just wouldnt see the field at all. Sure, they may not have scored too many points but that was not the Steelers defense fault as much as Texans doing their best to loose by penalties and whatnot.

And that 11 minute drive was really only the good on all game. The second touchdown drive was blown on one play. The first series of the game for the defense was really the only one I noticed where they really imploded. I'll take one bad series a game if you can give me 10 good ones.

Thisoneguy555
10-02-2011, 04:21 PM
If Woodley was even REMOTELY close at taking care of his gap instead of walking around in the backfield doing nothing, Troy would not even "have" to miss that tackle though.

I'm not going to defend Woodley, but Troy did take a very bad angle on that play. Both of them were at fault in some way. Woodley more than Troy though.

Nolrog
10-02-2011, 04:22 PM

Foster rushed for 155 yards on 30 carries and the Texans rushed for 180 total. That's not really stuffing anything, even if you take away that one run.

JensK
10-02-2011, 04:30 PM
And that 11 minute drive was really only the good on all game. The second touchdown drive was blown on one play. The first series of the game for the defense was really the only one I noticed where they really imploded. I'll take one bad series a game if you can give me 10 good ones.

Eh.. The first drive was shared by Foster and Tate. I believe Foster had like 28y after that first drive. Then he broke a long one for 46y. He ran for 155y. That is still a significant amount of yards seeing they were gained over the course of 3 quarters, whereas Steelers had a very long drive to begin the third quarter.

Deviouz1
10-02-2011, 04:33 PM
this year is reminding me more and more of '88.

the steelers go 6-10, Gorgeous Ladies of Wrestling(G.L.O.W.), Alf, GI Joe, my feathered mullet, chain wallet, leather jacket, high top reeboks, and that Metal up your *** t-shirt that almost got me suspended. lol

where DID i put that Appetite for Destruction tape?

Rampage
10-02-2011, 04:36 PM
Smith and Hampton do very little at this point. They don't collapse the pocket, they don't take on multiple blockers and they don't make the tackles they once did. If your defensive line does nothing, you're boned. Put the young guys in, because the vets aren't cutting it and you need to get these guys some reps because they'll be starting next season.

Thisoneguy555
10-02-2011, 04:39 PM
Foster rushed for 155 yards on 30 carries and the Texans rushed for 180 total. That's not really stuffing anything, even if you take away that one run.

More than half of that was in the first 2 drives by the texans. Up until that 40 yard play, they made up for the mistakes and stuffed Foster most of the game. Even after that big run he was being stuffed.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-02-2011, 04:51 PM

I certainly won't chew you up for it. Clearly they played like complete hell in the first half. They did step up in the 3rd quarter, very nicely done. That's the kind of run defense you love. However in the 4th quarter both Woodley and Polamalu blew it on that 42 yd Foster TD run. He was able to make some key runs after that as well.

So there were some glimpses of what we are used to seeing, but credit the Texans for coming back and countering what the defense tried to adjust too.

JensK
10-02-2011, 04:57 PM
More than half of that was in the first 2 drives by the texans. Up until that 40 yard play, they made up for the mistakes and stuffed Foster most of the game. Even after that big run he was being stuffed.

Ben Tate had most of the rushing yards for the first drive. Sure, he did not break any "long" runs other than the 46y run, but he gained 4-5-6y very very often. And well, it is not brain surgery to figure that 3 of those runs will give a first down. I really believe that the Texans dominated this game much much more than the score indicates. They was very busy trying to beat themselves, but their running game was dominating us and keeping our offense off the field.

Also, even if most of the yards came from the first two series it does not really matter if those two drives take up like 20 minutes of a half :P

BlitzburghRockCity
10-02-2011, 10:02 PM
The 3rd quarter was a clinic in Steelers football. The run defense was stout, the passing game was on, the line was blocking, secondary making plays, life was good. The fact that they allowed 150 yds rushing is pathetic. I don't care if most of it was 2 or 3 drives, the fact is they allowed it to happen and there's no excuse.

Teams don't care who the Steelers are anymore, the vaunted rush defense is a shell of it's former self. One good quarter does not make up for 3 quarters of bad plays. The final drive for the Texans where they stopped Foster on 3rd down, that's hardly cause for celebration. Everybody knew they were going to run and the Steelers sold out to stop it, that's not uncommon.

Real Deal Steel
10-02-2011, 10:11 PM
Look, this team has more then just the obvious problems. Teams are defensing the offense because it's predictable, there isn't any pre snap motion,..basically the whole offense needs to be overhauled. Period.

Bruce Arians needs to be dismissed. I can call every running play by formation and every passing play by formation basically.

And it's time to see if Redman/Dwyer can bring something to the running game. I've seen enough of Mendy.

Steelers_All_Day_43
10-02-2011, 10:25 PM
Get Cam in the game

BlitzburghRockCity
10-03-2011, 10:19 AM
Heyward was in the game yesterday. When Aaron Smith got carted off, Heyward came in and got some valuable experience against one of the best offensive lines in football right now. Heyward is not going to unseat Brett Keisel when he comes back. Brett was clearly missed and is by they need him back in a big way.

Teams are running a lot of traps and stunts against the Steelers run defense. Normally they can combat that but this year for whatever reason it's getting the best of them.

SteelCurtain17
10-04-2011, 07:52 PM
I think this defense hasn't lost respect yet. It's just not at that point yet. They showed they can stop the run more in the second half of the texans game even though they have played like crap all season. If their play continues like this the rest of the season then i might consider saying the rush defense is no longer respected.

Katmandu
10-06-2011, 01:46 AM
Teams are running a lot of traps and stunts against the Steelers run defense. Normally they can combat that but this year for whatever reason it's getting the best of them.IMHO, Teams are Chop blocking Big Snack like crazy this year. Much more so than in the past.

Put Casey on the ground with a chop block and the middle collapses and up goes thru the RB. Works nearly everytime.

Farrior Fan
10-06-2011, 06:22 AM
this year is reminding me more and more of '88.

the steelers go 6-10, Gorgeous Ladies of Wrestling(G.L.O.W.), Alf, GI Joe, my feathered mullet, chain wallet, leather jacket, high top reeboks, and that Metal up your *** t-shirt that almost got me suspended. lol

where DID i put that Appetite for Destruction tape?

Leather jacket? no way, give me the jean jacket with the Iron Maiden logo on the back

Deviouz1
10-06-2011, 11:05 AM
Leather jacket? no way, give me the jean jacket with the Iron Maiden logo on the back

i'd just rip the arms off and wear it over the leather. and switch out the iron maiden with Slayer. not that i dislike iron maiden, theyre just a little less "thrashy" than i went for back then.

Rampage
10-06-2011, 11:43 AM
i'd just rip the arms off and wear it over the leather. and switch out the iron maiden with Slayer. not that i dislike iron maiden, theyre just a little less "thrashy" than i went for back then.

Kerry King is lame.

Give me Testament or eXodus.

:lol:

Deviouz1
10-06-2011, 12:44 PM
Kerry King is lame.

Give me Testament or eXodus.

:lol:

ye blaspheme my good sir. though i did rather like testament myself. souls of black was one of my favorite albums. still... kerry was and is a badass.

http://metalriot.com/wp-content/uploads/kerry_king.jpg

:reddevil:

K Train
10-06-2011, 12:49 PM
we get keisel in there, and start inserting cam heyward and sly i think everything will be fine run defnese wise.

btw idk if you guys notice this yet....but hood is ****ing terrible. having 4 good games at the end of last year wasnt enough to sell me on him and hes back to being blown off the ball and playing way too finesse for a 5 tech.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-06-2011, 03:43 PM
Yes, Hood has been a disappointment this year. Last year he started out slow and then really found his stride midway through the season. Maybe he's just a guy that takes 6-8 games each year before he really starts to figure things out? lol

Sly has gotten virtually no playing time, in preseason he was over pursuing so bad it wasn't even funny. Our run defense is bad enough, if he gets in there and starts doing that stuff it's going to be even worse.

I would like to see what Heyward can do, he was tossing guys around left and right in preseason.

K Train
10-06-2011, 04:11 PM
hood was terrible for more like 12-13 games last year, he wasnt really doing anything but being embarrassed until the ravens game late in the year.

hes always gonna be a 43 DT, he just istna 5 tech, they need to make him put on 20 pounds and play NT otherwise were stuck with a mediocre player playing a position we need better at

connecticutsteel
10-06-2011, 04:42 PM
I'll take Pantera over slayer EXODUS or Testament . Hood is best at NT

Rampage
10-06-2011, 05:04 PM
I also wouldn't mind seeing Hood at NT if he can carry the extra weight. I think he could be a bit more reliable there than at DE as it seems like he is better off collapsing the pocket than chipping in on the run game. He'd be a bit different than Hampton, but I think he could work well.

Deviouz1
10-06-2011, 05:24 PM

Vulgar was an excellent album. but it didnt come out until 92. cowboys was nowhere near as good and that was the only one out at the time.

and yeah, Hood would be best at NT but even with the current issues im still not convinced he would fare better than hampton.

Rampage
10-06-2011, 05:30 PM

You'd probably like Texas Hippie Coalition.

:lol::lol::banana:

God, I hate that band.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-08-2011, 09:40 AM
LaMarr Woodley is feeling more confident this week in the Steelers' ability to stop the run even though they'll be facing one of the league's top running backs in Chris Johnson. "We have made some corrections with everybody getting to the gaps and finishing plays," Woodley said. "It's been the main focus this week. Woodley said the Steelers have picked themselves up after an emotionally draining loss to Houston. "It's too early to have one or two games define our season," he said. "We've still got an opportunity to be 14-2."

From the Trib (http://www.steeleraddicts.com/forum/Receivers%20won%27t%20be%20intimidated%20by%20Tita ns%20cornerback%20-%20Pittsburgh%20Tribune-Review%20http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_760841.html#ixzz1aCIe9IZp)

Let's hope so, I only wish those "corrections" were made after week 1, not after week 4.

Rampage
10-08-2011, 01:18 PM
Hopefully Woodley is right and they have corrected their mistakes. I think they are going to do it and do it convincingly. Foolishly optimistic? Probably, but if the Steelers come out and dominate, it gives me an "I told you so," opportunity, so I have to stick with it.