PDA

View Full Version : Where's Hines?

Clevelandsux
10-02-2011, 10:58 AM
I always liked hines. But maybe he's too old, maybe too much dancing with the stars. I hardly hear his name anymore.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-02-2011, 11:04 AM
Well sure he's old, but DWTS has nothing to do with it. I think if anything that will prove to help him this year. Ward got a helluva workout during that stretch and probably learned some new techniques he can use in his regimine. Hell we know it had to do nothing but good with his footwork if nothing else. Although he won't get near as many looks as he used too, Ben still looks to him when he absolutely has to have a play. He's still as reliable as ever, but fortunately our offense doesn't have to revolve around just him anymore. That should hopefully help keep him healthy for the whole year and when his number is called, he'll be available to make the play.

SteelJunkie
10-02-2011, 11:05 AM
Hines needs time to get uncovered. Better O-line play should help him.

Stairwayto7
10-02-2011, 11:23 AM
Hines is old = Cant get seperation. father time is catching up with him. Lucky for him he has always had a knack to find the holes in the D. So hopefully his experience will equal a descent year.

BlacknGold Bleeder
10-02-2011, 12:36 PM
There isn't anyone exactly shining on the offense right now.If the line starts playing better the "stars" will follow...

steelersbabex25
10-02-2011, 01:26 PM
Hines is in Houston right now I hope...

Callax
10-02-2011, 06:33 PM
Hines is getting old, he's smart and with the OL playing like crap Ben has no time to scan the field and get the ball to the open guy...

TampaSteelGirl
10-02-2011, 06:34 PM
He dropped that crucial pass...remember??? :club:

Thisoneguy555
10-02-2011, 06:37 PM
A better question is where is Sanders.

Stairwayto7
Yes he did, he took a hell of a hit, but he didnt have his hands aorund the ball anyway

steelersbabex25
Hate when people say "he dropped a pass" when he didn't drop that pass. It was thrown behind him and over him and he got rocked after the almost catch. Not a "drop."

JensK
10-02-2011, 06:49 PM
Hate when people say "he dropped a pass" when he didn't drop that pass. It was thrown behind him and over him and he got rocked after the almost catch. Not a "drop."

After the hit, I could understand that he dropped it. It was a huge hit. However, while it was thrown slightly behind him, an NFL WR is expected to make a catch like that. It hit his hands, and bounced right off again. I'm not saying that he should have made the catch seeing how the play panned out, but he would not have caught it even if he did not get hit like that.

steelersbabex25
10-02-2011, 06:51 PM
After the hit, I could understand that he dropped it. It was a huge hit. However, while it was thrown slightly behind him, an NFL WR is expected to make a catch like that. It hit his hands, and bounced right off again. I'm not saying that he should have made the catch seeing how the play panned out, but he would not have caught it even if he did not get hit like that.

Well, turned out not to matter. If it was thrown perfectly to him and he had a good grab on it, he probably makes the catch. But it wasn't. A not completely secured catch followed by a hit like that will lead to a lose ball everytime.

Stairwayto7
10-02-2011, 07:09 PM

Your going to get hit regardless, soooooooo catch it! :imho:

TampaSteelGirl
10-02-2011, 07:10 PM
Your going to get hit regardless, soooooooo catch it! :imho:

I like the way you think :yellowthumb:

Stairwayto7
10-02-2011, 07:14 PM
Steelersbabe, the throw wasnt that bad, usually hines makes that catch, come on hit both hands. He heard the footsteps

steelersbabex25
10-02-2011, 07:16 PM
Steelersbabe, the throw wasnt that bad, usually hines makes that catch, come on hit both hands. He heard the footsteps

I didn't say it was that bad. The throw wasn't perfect. If you're gonna hold on to the ball after taking a hit like that, it was to be a throw that hits you in the numbers. It wasn't.

JensK
10-02-2011, 07:16 PM

Shortly after he felt those footsteps as well.

Stairwayto7
10-02-2011, 07:19 PM
I didn't say it was that bad. The throw wasn't perfect. If you're gonna hold on to the ball after taking a hit like that, it was to be a throw that hits you in the numbers. It wasn't.

thats your opinion. Any guy off the street should catch a ball between the numbers. A HOFer should make that catch. In Hines defense he usaully does. And should have no excuses! :imho:

steelersbabex25
10-02-2011, 07:20 PM
thats your opinion. Any guy off the street should catch a ball between the numbers. A HOFer should make that catch. In Hines defense he usaully does. And should have no excuses! :imho:

Not any guy off the street could catch a ball between the numbers and then get a shot in his back that he didn't know was coming..

Go find someone on the street. Throw him the ball right into the middle of his chest. Then have an NFL defensive back run into his back as hard as he can, but don't tell him that it's coming. I don't know if any guy on the street would be holding on to the ball after that.

Stairwayto7
10-02-2011, 07:22 PM
Not any guy off the street could catch a ball between the numbers and then get a shot in his back that he didn't know was coming..

He should have caught it!

steelchamp204
10-02-2011, 07:24 PM
Hines needs to be on the bench. Only reason why hes starting is so he can get to his 1000th career catch imho

steelersbabex25
10-02-2011, 07:25 PM
Here's how you know if a missed catch is a "drop." Think to yourself, if he had caught that ball, would I be impressed? If the answer is yes, then the catch was not a drop. If Hines had held on to that ball, while in the air, with the ball behind him, finished off by a blast that he never saw coming, I'd have to go with yeah, I'd be pretty impressed.

JensK
10-02-2011, 07:26 PM

Go find someone on the street. Throw him the ball right into the middle of his chest. Then have an NFL defensive back run into his back as hard as he can, but don't tell him that it's coming. I don't know if any guy on the street would be holding on to the ball after that.

Whats your point? You don't find college WRs who can catch a ball in the middle of his chest. That is why they, just as well as random people of the street, don't play in the NFL. Hines Ward, on the other hand, earns a shitton of money because he is supposed to make catches such as those just as well as any other WR who are deemed to be good enough to play in the NFL.

steelersbabex25
10-02-2011, 07:27 PM
Whats your point? You don't find college WRs who can catch a ball in the middle of his chest. That is why they, just as well as random people of the street, don't play in the NFL. Hines Ward, on the other hand, earns a shitton of money because he is supposed to make catches such as those just as well as any other WR who are deemed to be good enough to play in the NFL.

I'm not sure if you read the whole conversation...

Stairwayto7
10-02-2011, 07:34 PM
lol either way we needed that catch big time, he didnt come up with it. it was in both his hands and he dropped it.

steelersbabex25
10-02-2011, 07:35 PM
lol either way we needed that catch big time, he didnt come up with it. it was in both his hands and he dropped it.

Would've been nice for him to make the catch. I'm not saying it was uncatchable, but it was far from a dropped pass.

SteelDad
Hines was bobbling the ball well before the defender ever got there so whether he was going to catch it or not is up in the air. Bottom line is that it is high time for him to step aside as the #2 guy and get AB in more often. That's not easy for me to say because HW has been my fave since he was drafted, but it's clear he has lost a step and struggles to get open unless the time is there which we all know it's not.

steelchamp204
Alright guys, come on. 9/10 he makes that catch. Today he didnt, there were more things today than just a dropped pass.

JensK
10-02-2011, 07:36 PM
I'm not sure if you read the whole conversation...

I did and I commented on what I thought about using that "off the street" argument. It just happened to be your post I quoted as it was the first I saw on that page ^^

jpele
10-02-2011, 08:11 PM

Exactly, it's not Hines fault if Ben is blind and stupid. Ben only threw to Hines twice even thought he was wide open on several plays.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

steelersbabex25
10-02-2011, 08:13 PM
Exactly, it's not Hines fault if Ben is blind and stupid. Ben only threw to Hines twice even thought he was wide open on several plays.

I can't tell if you're mocking me or if you're being serious..

Nolrog
10-02-2011, 09:34 PM
Would've been nice for him to make the catch. I'm not saying it was uncatchable, but it was far from a dropped pass.

I don't understand why there wasn't a penalty on that play. He was defenseless (those be the NFL rules, not mine.)

Last Monday night they called a personal foul on a play where the receiver caught the ball, and was tackled hard from the front and it was called, yet Hines gets speared from the back and it's not called. The penalty calling is very inconsistent in the NFL.

jpele
10-02-2011, 09:49 PM
I can't tell if you're mocking me or if you're being serious..

I'm being serious, I understamd the problems with the line but Ben is playing likeca rookie.

Not only has he not looked at a wide open Ward but this is the second week in a row Ben has forgotten Wallace in the second half.

LatrobePA
10-02-2011, 10:12 PM
Good thing he won a dancing competition!!

NC Joker
10-02-2011, 10:20 PM
Man o man people on here want to send all the vets to the bench. Haven't you guys been watching the formations. AB is actually playing in the #2 receiver spot. Hines is in the slot position most of the game until they go to a 2 receiver set. The reason he is in the slot is because 1 he is slower but he really never was fast. 2 he is the most sure handed receiver on the team. 3 he will always be matched up with either the strong saftey or the outside linebacker. And 4 he is known as the hot receiver and is the only reciever out of that bunch that knows how to read the defense as well as the blitz.

LatrobePA
10-02-2011, 10:23 PM
Yep send them all! Why not they're pretty much worthless!

NC Joker
10-02-2011, 10:30 PM
That's 1 of the reasons why the oline is the way it is now because you have no vets up front.

RIVERS OF STEEL
10-02-2011, 10:35 PM
Yeah that's the ticket. Just keep playing like we been playin right up til today.

LatrobePA
10-02-2011, 10:40 PM
That's 1 of the reasons why the oline is the way it is now because you have no vets up front.

See Baltimore, they went shopping and now have a great line, those same players were out there for us too but the Steelers chose to let two oline vets walk and keep jokers from within.

NC Joker
10-02-2011, 10:48 PM
It falls on Ben too. He knows hes not going to get a lot of time in the pocket. Instead trying to extend the play he needs to get the ball out of his hands a lot quicker.More 3 and 5 step drops not as many play actions (Ariens) until you can establish a running game.

Stairwayto7
10-03-2011, 06:12 AM
It falls on Ben too. He knows hes not going to get a lot of time in the pocket. Instead trying to extend the play he needs to get the ball out of his hands a lot quicker.More 3 and 5 step drops not as many play actions (Ariens) until you can establish a running game.

Its tough when your in 3rd and long all the time