PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else noticing Maurkice Pouncey struggling a bit this season

BlitzburghRockCity
10-02-2011, 01:33 AM
I know the entire offensive line is a cluster right now, but last year it was too. Perhaps not quite so early on but still, it was musical chairs most of last season and he was a rookie. Now in 2011, there's been significant changes along the line already and Pouncey has been nicked up with a nagging ankle injury.

I've been watching him so far this year, and he seems to be struggling more than what I thought he would. Considering I didn't figure he'd be struggling much at all, it does throw up a red flag. The Ravens and Colts both have top defensive lines, and the Seahawks is above average, so he has been facing some stiff competition so far this year.

In 2010, the Steelers opened up with Atlanta, Tennessee, Tampa Bay, and Baltimore. Decent opponents no doubt, but Maurkice seemed to hold his own rather well. Fast forward to 2011 and watching him, something is off. Perhaps it's his ankle bothering him. Perhaps it's just the Guards not giving him much help. Maybe it's both. Even when he's one on one with his man I've noticed him get beat a lot either by a bull rush where he's overpowered or by a stunt where there lineman just blows right by him.

Clearly he's the best option at Center, and I'm not suggesting he be replaced. However it's interesting that a guy who was so "on" last year is finding it a bit of a tough road so far.

mwittman5
10-02-2011, 02:01 AM
Maybe the ankle injury is bothering him.

SteelCurtain68
10-02-2011, 07:32 AM
He does look slower. Perhaps that ankle is giving him trouble.

MattyVfromCT
10-02-2011, 08:31 AM
yeah i think the ankle is worse than he's letting on

connecticutsteel
10-02-2011, 08:31 AM
I think he's fine if the others on the line were doing there job it would more noticeble .When guys miss blocks and fall into you or get pushed around and knock you off your block it's hard to look good trust me. It's something you can only apprieciate if your doing it he was better last year cause the line was better mark my words if the line plays well this week or from now on no one will notice. Plus the ankle he will probably have offseason surgury to clean it out

LatrobePA
10-02-2011, 08:52 AM
Note the turd to his right, he's now trying to do his job and the job of his RG.

MattyVfromCT
10-02-2011, 09:08 AM
Note the turd to his right, he's now trying to do his job and the job of his RG.

True that. Prime example week 1 on the first of our 7 turnovers pouncey was helping legs with ngata allowing suggs to stunt inside clean forcing the fumble. Suggs coming through the middle is pouncey's assignment but legs has no shot at blocking ngata by himself at all whatsoever........

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

JensK
10-02-2011, 09:13 AM
I've noticed he have been playing with one of the worst o-lines in NFL. Sadly, one person can only do so much and Pouncey is constantly being forced to handle at least two persons because of the total lack of skill on both guard positions.

TampaSteelGirl
10-02-2011, 09:20 AM
I also agree his ankle is bother him as well..perhaps he's compensating for a lack of Oline!! :evilshake:

BlitzburghRockCity
10-02-2011, 09:53 AM
I'm sure he feels the pressure to step up his game to try and compensate for the lack of production for some of the other players. He'd never admit that but you have to think he's maybe trying to press too much.

Stairwayto7
10-02-2011, 10:24 AM
The injury, playing with four JV players???

Rampage
10-02-2011, 11:11 AM
He's playing with a middle of the pack guard to his left and a backup to his right, and each of those guys are playing with backup tackles. Rather than being able to focus on his job, I think Pouncey is overcompensating on some blocking schemes, trying to make blocks for other guys.

While Pouncey is good, your line is only as good as its weakest link. Unfortunately, there are four weaker links than Pouncey.

Black@Gold Forever32
10-02-2011, 11:31 AM
Yes the Steelers OL stink and well know this but the injuries to is a big reason since this unit can't get a chance to get in sync with one another.....If the Steelers can just keep 5 guys healthy along the OL for a period of time then I think we could see slight improvement from the OL and Pouncey then could maybe play at the level he played at last year....I also think the ankle has bothered him some what......

BlitzburghRockCity
10-02-2011, 05:00 PM
Pouncey is not making the pro bowl this year, not after that performance today. He has clearly taken a step back so far in 2011. Blame it on the ankle injury if you want, blame it on the poor play of the Guards, but he has not been taking care of his own business and the Texans exploited him on multiple occasions today.

Stairwayto7
10-02-2011, 05:04 PM
His penalty cost us the first half TD,

Rampage
10-02-2011, 05:04 PM
Pouncey is not making the pro bowl this year, not after that performance today. He has clearly taken a step back so far in 2011. Blame it on the ankle injury if you want, blame it on the poor play of the Guards, but he has not been taking care of his own business and the Texans exploited him on multiple occasions today.

I think that the musical chairs with mediocre players has resulted in him having zero continuity with most of that line. Last year, both Pouncey and Adams were strong on the right side and Foster held his own. Legursky sucked, Foster is poor and Gilbert doesn't have me in awe.

Pouncey is sucking by proxy. :lol:

Thisoneguy555
10-02-2011, 05:21 PM
His ankle injury wasn't that bad.... he should be at least 95% if not 100%..

He looks weak this year, maybe he didn't work out much this off season. Also his job is to call out to the line who to block, when Legs or Kemo misses a blitz pick up or a block, that's kind of his fault. His overall play is down, but I don't think it's anything to worry about, he'll work through this.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-02-2011, 10:07 PM
That's true, it is the Center's job to call out blocking assignments. However that could more of the guys just not doing their job. We saw Legursky just getting blown up last week and in the 2 previous weeks. He may miss a blocking call now and then but the guys beside him are not giving him any help either.

Plus that bone head personal foul wasn't the smartest thing in the world either.

Real Deal Steel
10-02-2011, 10:15 PM
Maybe he's surrounded by bums on the O-line and it's overwhelming him. What about that?

Big T
10-02-2011, 11:18 PM
Pouncey may not have played great today, but he was the only player on that line that wasn't completely terrible. He was at least where he was supposed to be the majority of the time.

Thisoneguy555
10-02-2011, 11:43 PM
That's true, it is the Center's job to call out blocking assignments. However that could more of the guys just not doing their job. We saw Legursky just getting blown up last week and in the 2 previous weeks. He may miss a blocking call now and then but the guys beside him are not giving him any help either.

Plus that bone head personal foul wasn't the smartest thing in the world either.

Legs getting thrown around is one thing, but I'd rather him at least get in the way of someone than be totally out of position because of Pouncey, which has happened on occasion.

It's 50/50 right now... Many people will say how well the center does pretty much dictates the rest of the lines play (some people say the center is the most important position on an NFL team). Look at the Jets, they had an all pro center, he's been out the past couple weeks, their line, which last year was great, looks as bad as the Steelers line because they are switching between a rookie center who is playing terrible and a 3rd string center who got signed like 3 weeks ago.

I'm not blaming the lines play on Pouncey, but he has been a bit at fault, and it isn't because he's surrounded by a bunch of bums. Legs played a good amount last year at guard. Kemo only missed one game last year and actually was 1 or 2 injuries away from being a pro bowl alternate. Only thing that's really changed is the offensive tackles.

NC Joker
10-03-2011, 12:01 AM
Finally there is some one out there that is not on Pounceys sack. They will blame everyone else on the line but Pouncey. Its true that the center is suppose to be the most important position on the Oline. Like I said in another post the center is the QB of the offensive line. He pretty much call out the protection and Identifys the Mike and other blitzers. So you mean to tell me hes doing that correctly. If he was then we wouldn't have 8 sacks in the last 2 games. That and ben holds on 2 the ball a little to long sometimes.

Nolrog
10-03-2011, 06:26 AM

I think that has a lot to do with it. He's on an island out there, all by himself.