PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Blitzing Less?

mwittman5
09-30-2011, 07:15 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/32472/final-word-afc-north-26

Bring on the blitz: The Steelers have blitzed on about one-third of the opposition's pass plays, which is a little above the league average. Beating the Texans will require more of it. The key to disrupting Houston quarterback Matt Schaub is being aggressive against him. He is completing 58.3 percent of his throws when defenses rush five or more, which is significantly lower than his completion rate (71.4 percent) when defenses send four or fewer (according to ESPN Stats & Information). Getting consistent pressure has been a problem for the Steelers, who have a combined 3.5 sacks from James Harrison and LaMarr Woodley.

I've been noticing this too. Perhaps it's because we haven't faced any good QB's so Steelers have been playing it conservative on defense.

Thisoneguy555
09-30-2011, 07:22 PM
I think LeBeau lost confidence in calling blitzing last season when his blitzing game at bad timing costing us the Ravens and Jets game, and possible the Saints game (I don't remember the game much, but I remember the last drive Brees marched down the field late in the game)

mwittman5
09-30-2011, 07:28 PM
Well we have to blitz thats how our D is built. We don't have the corners to stay on a guy for a long time. Guess Sunday is the true test to see what happens with our blitzing.

Goodfrom55
09-30-2011, 07:44 PM
I think in a 3-4, you always have to rush 5, but the age old questions is, "Which 5 are coming?" Offenses are running more spread formations so the number of opportunities have dimished as well. The key to Harrison and Woody getting sacks and /or pressure is the front 3, primarily Hampton. Lately there has bot been a lot of pressure up the middle, so when Harrison and Woody are closing in, the QB simply steps up in the pocket and throws a pass or scrambles to safety. But if the is pressure up the middle, the QB has nowhere to go, hold onto the ball for a second longer, and for our defense, that's when good things start to happen.

steelchamp204
09-30-2011, 07:49 PM
I wish we would blitz up the middle more than we do. Im sick of seeing off the edge blitz's. Atleast if you dont get ot the Qb with a blitz up the middle 9/10 your gonna be in his face(well, deciding if hes mobile or not).

coldrolled
09-30-2011, 08:22 PM
harrison and woodley rush the ends... thats every play pretty much...

blitzing would be like troy did last week a few times, gay does maybe twice a game..

our ILB 's barely blitz..... Clark, farrior, taylor, timmons

connecticutsteel
10-01-2011, 12:08 AM
The offensive formation dictates whether we blitz or not.That plus i think that teams are using the Packers strategy and are trying to spread the field it is better to stay in coverage than blitz when the d is spread out . so i don't think we are blitzing less by design
I also would like to see timmons and slyvester on the inside at the same time or switch harrison and timmons on a few plays

Thisoneguy555
10-01-2011, 12:37 AM
I think in a 3-4, you always have to rush 5, but the age old questions is, "Which 5 are coming?" Offenses are running more spread formations so the number of opportunities have dimished as well. The key to Harrison and Woody getting sacks and /or pressure is the front 3, primarily Hampton. Lately there has bot been a lot of pressure up the middle, so when Harrison and Woody are closing in, the QB simply steps up in the pocket and throws a pass or scrambles to safety. But if the is pressure up the middle, the QB has nowhere to go, hold onto the ball for a second longer, and for our defense, that's when good things start to happen.

Actually the 3-4 is based on 4 rushers not 5. To be considered a blitz, there has to be at least 5 blitzers. When it's just 3 linemen and a linebacker, or 2 linemen and 2 linebackers, it's not considered a blitz, even though technically speaking the linebackers are blitzing.

I was going to say the Steelers have very few blitzes because they usually rush 4, rarely 5, but that wouldn't explain why every other 3-4 team still has a better blitzing percentage.

coldrolled
10-01-2011, 07:40 AM
The offensive formation dictates whether we blitz or not.

like arians offensive formation keeping the blitzes off our ol and qb???? :thinking: