PDA

View Full Version : Mendenhall blames Arians

coldrolled
09-30-2011, 01:12 PM
Rashard Mendenhall said he has never felt more confident and is "as ready as I've ever been." Yet a season after finishing seventh in the NFL with almost 1,300 rushing yards, the Steelers' fourth-year back is on pace to run for just under 800 yards.

Something doesn't add up when it comes to the workhorse of a ground game that can't seem to get going.

"It's a lot bigger than one person," Mendenhall said Wednesday. "It's a whole mindset. It's a whole attack from the top, offensive coordinator (Bruce Arians), plays that are called that matches what we have. It's a collective effort of everybody that has to be clicking to be successful."

The Steelers are 23rd in the NFL in rushing offense (85.7 yards per game). Mendenhall is averaging just 3.0 yards per carry.

Asked if the struggles stem from becoming a pass-first offense — the Steelers have run 42 percent of the time through three games — Mendenhall said, "We're just running what's called. We're the low men on the totem pole, and we're just trying to carry out what our duties are."

Mendenhall rushed for more than 1,000 yards in each of his first two seasons as a starter and said the lack of production is a "frustrating thing." But he took a big-picture approach.

"Obviously, our running game is not up to par, and we want to work on it, but we're winning games first and foremost," the Steelers' first-round pick in 2008 said. "We're not panicking."

Roethlisberger last week said he had no concerns about the running game. But three days after the Steelers managed just 67 rushing yards against the Colts, Roethlisberger couldn't offer how jump-start the ground game.

"I am not the run-game guru," Roethlisberger said. "I don't know if it's blocking better, longer, running. Honestly, I don't know."

Perhaps the most surprising thing about the Steelers' running-game shortcomings: All signs pointed to Mendenhall building on last season, when he rushed for the seventh-most yards in franchise history and came within one score of trying Franco Harris' record 14 rushing touchdowns in a season.

Arians praised Mendenhall during training camp and before the season opener said the offense would run through Mendenhall.

Mendenhall said there is still plenty of time for the running game to get going.

"I feel like I'm the best player I've ever been because I work at it and where I'm at experience-wise," Mendenhall said. "I think those things will show in time."

LatrobePA
09-30-2011, 01:16 PM
Oh ****!! Mendy has done the unthinkable, MT will have a fit now! hahahahahahaah I love it! BA you are an f'n idiot!

coldrolled
09-30-2011, 01:29 PM
right latrobe... it is about time someone said something finally... arians will respond.. redman will get more time now...

Goodfrom55
09-30-2011, 01:53 PM
It's a system flaw, it's predictable playcalling, it's poor execution, it's mediocre talent in the blocking game.

I respect the fact that Mendenhall did it tastefully and took the high road.

jwmann2
09-30-2011, 01:56 PM
We will see how the offense responds on SUnday to these comments. I roll my eyes now whenever Mendenhall says something publicly.

LatrobePA
09-30-2011, 02:00 PM
We will see how the offense responds on SUnday to these comments. I roll my eyes now whenever Mendenhall says something publicly.

At least he didn't link BA to a terrorist group, or did he??

TampaSteelGirl
09-30-2011, 02:11 PM
At least he didn't link BA to a terrorist group, or did he??

:rofl:

steelchamp204
09-30-2011, 02:30 PM
I think this needed to be said, if we lose this week, I will expect more of the same forma few of the guys tbh

steelersbabex25
09-30-2011, 02:35 PM
Wait, I may be an idiot. Where exactly does he blame Arians?

coldrolled
09-30-2011, 02:38 PM
Wait, I may be an idiot. Where exactly does he blame Arians?

"It's a whole mindset. It's a whole attack from the top, offensive coordinator (Bruce Arians), plays that are called that matches what we have. It's a collective effort of everybody that has to be clicking to be successful."

>>>>plays that are called that matches what we have. :plus1::plus1:

steelersbabex25
09-30-2011, 02:41 PM
I still don't understand that sentence haha. Bruce Arians plays that are called that matches what we have?

chisteeler
09-30-2011, 02:53 PM
I still don't understand that sentence haha. Bruce Arians plays that are called that matches what we have?

What he means is what I said in another thread. BA needs to call the plays (running or passing) according to the strengths of each player and what it is they specialize in doing offensively, or what the defense exposes as a weekness that you can capitalize on offensively. Basicly he is saying BA's play calling is terrible and he is pissed that the man can not think past the "game plan." :yellowthumb:

Goodfrom55
09-30-2011, 03:13 PM
Arians would call the same plays up in the booth, down on the field or behind a brick wall. He has no sense of feel for the flow of a game.

HUNT4SEVEN
09-30-2011, 04:28 PM
:clap::clap::clap: Mendy is right again:tt02:

TampaSteelGirl
09-30-2011, 04:28 PM
What he means is what I said in another thread. BA needs to call the plays (running or passing) according to the strengths of each player and what it is they specialize in doing offensively, or what the defense exposes as a weekness that you can capitalize on offensively. Basicly he is saying BA's play calling is terrible and he is pissed that the man can not think past the "game plan." :yellowthumb:

Im with Babe..I really didn't understand it either until you explained here. That definatley makes sense.....I mean does BA REALLY watch game film after each game? He can't possbily do that..his playing calling is horrendous! Especially when the game is on the line.

LarryNJ
09-30-2011, 04:37 PM
“We’ll never know what really happened,” Mendenhall said. “I just have a hard time believing a coordinator could take a offense down with his play calling.”

Mendenhall also expresses sympathy for BA. “What kind of person celebrates an unpredictable offense ?” Mendenhall says. “It’s amazing how people can HATE a man they have never even heard speak. We’ve only heard one side.”

Stairwayto7
09-30-2011, 05:05 PM
I dont care how many carries he gets, this past week he was unproductive, dancing around not hitting the hole hard like two years ago. Mendy man up play hard no matter how many carries, if we would have been productive running the ball, then we would have ran more

Rampage
09-30-2011, 05:15 PM
“We’ll never know what really happened,” Mendenhall said. “I just have a hard time believing a coordinator could take a offense down with his play calling.”

Mendenhall also expresses sympathy for BA. “What kind of person celebrates an unpredictable offense ?” Mendenhall says. “It’s amazing how people can HATE a man they have never even heard speak. We’ve only heard one side.”

:nono::greengrin:

coldrolled
09-30-2011, 05:17 PM

Well... we have 6 receviers that can run slants and cross routes and catch like anything thrown thier way, plus run after the catch and make massive yards. maybe not hines as much anymore.

so, we see maybe one play a game like that and usually for big yards. so instead of doing that more often with multiple recviers and stretch the field to help mendy, we do "deep" routes and run up the middle just to make sure we are fighting 8 in the box all day.

i can understand holding back on slants and crosses before the new rules of taking a receivers head off..that slants and cross routes shortend the recievers life span. it is a bit easier in todays game. welker is still walking... he has 25 slant routes and catches every game..

did the rules start changing after clark flattend welker????:thinking:

Arians needs to let someone else call the plays.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-30-2011, 07:16 PM
It's a system flaw, it's predictable playcalling, it's poor execution, it's mediocre talent in the blocking game.

That's pretty much it right there in a nutshell. Ignoring the offensive line for far too long, a coordinator that eats, sleeps, and breathes the same play calls every single week in the same situations, and guys who just aren't talented enough or concentrating enough to execute what's being asked.

MattyVfromCT
09-30-2011, 07:22 PM
i just wish silverback would beat the crap outta BA like he said he wanted to in the men's journal article. beat his ***, send him to the hospital AWAY FROM OUR SIDELINES lol

Stairwayto7
09-30-2011, 07:34 PM
i just wish silverback would beat the crap outta BA like he said he wanted to in the men's journal article. beat his ***, send him to the hospital AWAY FROM OUR SIDELINES lol

LOL LOL :banana:

I hate arians, but also hate mendy calling him out.

igor0190
09-30-2011, 10:30 PM
Mendy has nobody to blame but himself particularily in the Colts game. He ran with little to no power and refuses to plow into the defense and fall forward for yards. If the hole isn't there he folds. Against a fast defense you need to hit them with a battering ram and grind out 3-4 yard runs up the middle.

Callax
09-30-2011, 10:44 PM
The head office next year needs to draft 2 TACKLES that can block!!!!!!!!!

Speeed
09-30-2011, 11:13 PM
This thread is indicative of the Steelers woes. We have questionable play calling on offense, an aging defense, a mangled offensive line, a quarterback with legal problems who is struggling to establish his season three games in, a team who seems to have a habit of making comments through Facebook and media, a team that has a perception of penalty bias and fines by the refs and the league, and a coach who has enjoyed a team on cruise control the last few years who needs to make some major personal choices and refuses to take action.

Now, you can argue any of those points, but I think they are all legitimate issues to some degree. The other teams in the league always seem to be building their teams while we have been riding a wave. I honestly feel this year is pivotal; the Steelers will need to make some major personnel choices at the end of this year. I know it seems way to early to imagine changes for next year, I think Tomlin and company have to figure it out and have a stellar year next year or even his job might be in jeopardy.

Despite my grim outlook, I think the Steelers can still go to the playoffs with some shrewd coaching and big plays from key players.

Real Deal Steel
10-01-2011, 01:51 AM

Before every snap, I can tell when they are going to run the ball, and I can tell when they are going to pass the ball.

This team needs to comment to running the ball. If they do that, everything else will fall in place. What happened to our grind, grind , grind mentality?? Thanks BA. :evilshake:

coldrolled
10-01-2011, 07:03 PM
Gene Collier fron the Gazette

In Weak Three, when with Mendenhall carrying 18 times, five plays went backward, two went nowhere, and six others gained 2 yards or 1.

Maybe there isn't a lot a running back can do with eight-in-the-box staring him in the facemask, but Mendenhall looked indecisive just a little too frequently. For the moment, he doesn't look to be the kind of back that can alter a decline in which the Steelers have only had a 100-yard plus rusher twice in the past 19 games, including postseason

Root4Stlrs
10-01-2011, 10:17 PM
:rofl:

He's actually been terrorizing the fans with his play calling. It was hey diddle diddle Willie up the middle now it's Mendy. Just like everyone has said, too predictable.

--- Added 10/1/2011 at 09:17 PM ---

In Weak Three, when with Mendenhall carrying 18 times, five plays went backward, two went nowhere, and six others gained 2 yards or 1.

Maybe there isn't a lot a running back can do with eight-in-the-box staring him in the facemask, but Mendenhall looked indecisive just a little too frequently. For the moment, he doesn't look to be the kind of back that can alter a decline in which the Steelers have only had a 100-yard plus rusher twice in the past 19 games, including postseason

Weak Three? Is that a Freudian slip? Probably. It certainly is appropriate. Hopefully this won't be Weaker 4.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-02-2011, 01:23 AM

In the past the Steelers would line up against an 8 man front and run it anyway, and be successful. It's as much a problem with the offensive line as it is with the Mendenhall. For whatever reason he's not firing through the hole, or making that one move and then turning on the jets. He do seem to be dancing too much and taking entirely too much time figuring out where to run.

SteelJunkie
10-02-2011, 01:26 AM
I like both Redman, and Mendy, but it doesn't matter who you have back there atm because there is zero push on the line.

coldrolled
10-02-2011, 07:46 AM
In the past the Steelers would line up against an 8 man front and run it anyway, and be successful..

Just the thing mendy is questioning, do we not have a counter offense to spread the defense out and get the 8 men out of the box?

Clevelandsux
10-02-2011, 09:54 AM
I agree Arians sucks. I mean he throws these two yard screens to hines? WTF?

Stairwayto7
10-02-2011, 05:01 PM
Mendendall is right but I wonder if BA said Mendy look whos talking