PDA

View Full Version : Keys to beating the Texans

BlitzburghRockCity
09-28-2011, 12:02 AM
For the Steelers, the offense is going to have to step up, plain and simple. There is no 2 ways about it. The Texans can score on pretty much anyone when they are on their game. Schaub may be somewhat brittle but the dude can throw and you can bet they'll test the secondary early and often.

They won't be afraid to go after Ike Taylor either, because you know he will be one on one with Andre Johnson most of the time. Expect Gay and Lewis to get quite a workout. They'll also go after the middle with their Tight Ends since that is the Steelers weakness. If it works they'll keep at it. Both Clark and Polamalu are going to have to make sure they are in position to make the tackle, one miscue can be disaster.

I also expect the Steelers to try and get pressure on Schaub. Look for Troy to do blitzing early and often, but if they start getting burned on it they'll back off. If they have success Lebeau will bring the heat all day long. You can't sit back in coverage against the Texans because Schaub is good enough to shred a defense if he gets time.

For the Steelers on offense, as much as many people think this won't be a shootout, I tend to disagree. This could be the week where Ben lights it up for 3 or 4 TD's and this game ends up being a 38-35 type of outcome. If both offenses get rolling it's going to be hard for the defenses to hang with all the talent in the passing game. You can't settle for FG's against an offense that score a lot of points. I want to see Suisham kicking PAT's, not FG's. Getting to the redzone is not good enough, you better find ways to get 6 every time.

Root4Stlrs
09-28-2011, 12:29 AM
I'm sorry, BRC, but did you have a hard time keeping a straight face when you were writing the title of this thread? It's like those key rings janitors carry around - where do you start? I appreciate your ability to try and stay focused and positive. I remember when Aaron Smith went out a few years ago and how the defense suffered. He went out last year but there were people to replace him. I don't keep up with the rotation enough to know who's in for how long but when the DE goes south, our whole defense goes along with it. Don't even need to mention the offense. Somebody call 911, please.

SnakeEyes43
09-28-2011, 12:41 AM
Texans have the number one D in the league right now, if I'm not mistaken. With our o- line and lack of running game the only way we survive is if Ben can be ON POINT and play mistake free. No turnovers.

With some of the throws that have been sailing on Ben, his young receivers not running correct routes (or breaking off of them too early?) and the constant pressure, this will be a tall feat for #7 and the offense, though not an impossible one. Everyone, especially the o-line, will need to be at their best and ready for a battle in Texas.

As for our D, we need to obviously get pressure on the QB (as that is the whole key to our defense), stop the run, and not give up big plays on third down. Ike has to man up on Johnson and stick to him like glue, another tall task.

I'm not sure if Foster is playing, but D-line and the big money, no-show LB need to step up and stop the run. Make the Texans one dimensional and we may have a shot. Even if we make them one dimensional, stopping Schaub will still be a challenge for this secondary, even though they have shown improvement.

This will be a dogfight that I am looking forward to, but admittingly I'm pretty nervous about. Go Steelers!

Thisoneguy555
09-28-2011, 12:49 AM
Texans had one of the top D's last week, but after the Saints game they dropped down to 14th in the league.
The reason they were so high was because they faced teams with no passing game.

Texans are terrible against the pass, Ben could easily throw for 3 touchdowns if the line gives him time. Texans might have a weak secondary, but they do have a good pass rush.

mwittman5
09-28-2011, 12:57 AM
Texans are having issues in the red zone. Gotta help them continue their red zone issues. They start by running so we gotta stop the run. Mario Williams is having issues trying to adjust to a 3-4 defense so he hasn't been as effective as usual.

Root4Stlrs
09-28-2011, 12:58 AM
Texans had one of the top D's last week, but after the Saints game they dropped down to 14th in the league.

Texans are terrible against the pass, Ben could easily throw for 3 touchdowns if the line gives him time. Texans might have a weak secondary, but they do have a good pass rush.

Haven't they supposedly improved their defense this year with the addition of some players, but especially (gasp) Wade Phillips, defensive guru?

Thisoneguy555
09-28-2011, 01:13 AM
Haven't they supposedly improved their defense this year with the addition of some players, but especially (gasp) Wade Phillips, defensive guru?

They're improved, but they had a 4-3 base defense last year, they moved to a 3-4, they brought in some guys to help play it, but the majority of the defense is still the same players. I don't think the Texans can pull off going from 30th in the league to top 5 defense. I think they'll almost get there, somewhere between 15-11. They have a good defense, but no way is this defense perfected with the players, they still give up a lot of pass yards.

In the future when they have more time to build, I think they'll have a great defense, but right now, no.

Black@Gold Forever32
09-28-2011, 01:53 AM
My keys on beating the Texans

1. Protect the franchise....I know its a tall order to ask those bums up front to protect Ben but they must for the Steelers to have a chance.....

2. The offense must score points (especially in the red zone)..........I'm not talking settling for field goals but TD's.........The Texans are going to score so Ben and the WR's must be on the same page to put some damn points on the board.

3. Shut down the Texans running game.......When the Texans running game is dominating it makes their passing game even more lethal........

4. The D must prevent the big play and I'm talking to big plays to Andre Johnson or their TE's over the middle.......

5. Force some damn turn overs....lol Only 1 so far in three games......not good

Blazedby92
09-28-2011, 04:43 AM
Protect Ben!!! He'll put points on the board then the Defense can pin their ears back.

Raleigh Steel
09-28-2011, 06:20 AM
it all comes down to HEART and PRIDE. after last weeks stinker, the defense better have both against a real offense. if they bring their game, then their offense can be slowed down.

on the offensive side of the ball, our boys up front need to show some of their own as well. they need to open some holes to get the running game going. if they can do this then ben and the passing attack will have an easier time.

this is going to be a statement game for the rest of the season. if our team wasn't embarrassed by last weeks performance than they don't care. but if they were than they better show us their HEART & PRIDE!

Big T
09-28-2011, 09:27 AM
Protect Ben, put pressure on Shaub, and the Steelers win. Though I've seen nothing this year that gives me any confidence that either will happen.

chisteeler
09-28-2011, 09:35 AM
Get Ben outside the pocket on some roll outs.
Quick passes/three step drops.
Maintain blocks up front and win the line of scrimmage.
Get Mendy out on the perimeter more whre he is more effective.
Get Redman more carries.
Cut down on third and longs.

Defensively...as Lawrence Taylor once said, 'COME OUT LIKE A BUNCH OF CRAZED DOGS!"

TampaSteelGirl
09-28-2011, 11:53 AM
1. Definatley protect Ben....please please please!!!
2. Ike HAS to stay stuck to Johnson...a must!
3. Willie Gay pass rush...please do not cover Johnson
4. Redman...Redman...Redman
5. Mendy....only on first down....
6. Ben to Wallace deep ALOT
7. Ridiculous pressure on Schaub...would love to see Woodley, Harrison and Timmons in Schaubs face all day
8. No huddle offense when we see ourselves getting into a bit of trouble
9. Polamalu INT or 2..

LatrobePA
09-28-2011, 12:10 PM
Brown, Sanders will be huge, they're going to double up on Wallace. Heath should also see a lot of open field. Cotch should be in the line up this weekend I feel he could also get in on the action.

Our running game will struggle yet again so there is no sense in even counting on it for much..

NO F'N TO'S, we've had enough for two years already in 3 games!

TackHammer
09-28-2011, 01:48 PM
Texans are having issues in the red zone. Gotta help them continue their red zone issues. They start by running so we gotta stop the run. Mario Williams is having issues trying to adjust to a 3-4 defense so he hasn't been as effective as usual.

Yeah our Redzone O was horrible last week. Last year we where one of the best in the Redzone. Our problem this year is our running backs keep pulling up lame. Fosters hammy,Wards ankle then last week Tats ankle. It really sucks to have all these high powered RB and not be able to use them.
Once we get them healthy it should improve.

--- Added 9/28/2011 at 11:48 AM ---

Well your kinda right on this one. It wasnt so much that we played bad passing teams as it was just bad teams. Henne put up 500 odd yards against the Pats and if I remember correctly we held him to 250 or so.(I know the Pats sec. sucks) Against the Saints we gave Brees his first Two Interceptions of the year. Jonathon Joseph got one and D. Manning got the other,which made the signing of these two well worth it.
And like you said our pass rush has improved and thats helped the secondary as well.

steelchamp204
09-28-2011, 10:12 PM
REDMAN REDMAN REDMAN.

Somehow protect Ben

Break arians leg before game so he is not on the field, then Ben can run the offense. Make sure ER give BA Morphine so he wont be awake for the whole game to make a miracle comeback to the stadium.

TampaSteelGirl
09-29-2011, 12:16 PM
REDMAN REDMAN REDMAN

Exactly what I said!!! :yellowthumb:

HoustonTexanFan
09-29-2011, 01:23 PM
Uh oh! He's back! :eek1:

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-3/Foster-ready-to-return-no-issues-with-hamstring/42d85781-b522-4eb3-8d65-6a03e0cee2d2

TampaSteelGirl
09-29-2011, 01:29 PM

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-3/Foster-ready-to-return-no-issues-with-hamstring/42d85781-b522-4eb3-8d65-6a03e0cee2d2

OMG I saw this on NFL network and almost soiled my drawers!!!! :yikes:
Steelers may need Jesus this sunday!! I know he's a fan....hope he's not too busy though ;)

Rampage
09-29-2011, 01:35 PM
#1: Protect Ben. This requires two things: (1) Better play by the offensive line in addition to (2) better play calling to keep the defense from teeing off on Ben with the pass rush all day long. If Ben gets time, we know what he can do. If Mario Williams is standing in the backfield with him the entire game, there is very little chance of victory.

#2: Impede the running game. While Schaub is an excellent passer, taking the run game away is more important to victory in my eyes. If the Texans can run the ball effectively, their time of possession will soar and their playbook will be completely open. You have to take away some of that versatility. Unfortunately, I am not overly confident with the team's ability to stop the run considering the caliber of play we have seen from the defensive line.

LatrobePA
09-29-2011, 02:41 PM

Can he make it a whole game? Not being a jerk, he seems nagged by it..

Rampage
09-29-2011, 02:46 PM

This is what I was hoping for, actually. I want to see the Texans bring their A game in Houston with a healthy team. I want to see what the Steelers can do against a good team on the road after three weeks of mediocrity.

LatrobePA
09-29-2011, 02:50 PM
This is what I was hoping for, actually. I want to see the Texans bring their A game in Houston with a healthy team. I want to see what the Steelers can do against a good team on the road after three weeks of mediocrity.

I agree, this team has it in them.. Peaking at week four isn't what I'm asking for, just show me a little more..

Goodfrom55
09-29-2011, 03:22 PM
Not worried about the Texans Defense coached by Jonathan Winters. . .overrated. Much better matchup for the Steelers this week.

Offensively:
1. Give Ben time to throw
2. Mix up play calling on 1st down
3. Manage down and diatance better, look for 3rd and less than 5.
4. Better job disguising running plays - keep the defense honest
5. Heath Miller - Remember him?

Defense:
1. Limit runs to < 3 YPC.
2. D-Line must get penetration.
3. As always, pressure Schaub, linemen rush with hands up.
4. Get off field on 3rd down.
5. Strip Tackle - 1st guy stand him up, everyone else strip ball.
6. Make the offense earn it, no getting burnt on double moves.

Coaches:
1. Go in with a game plan, but be willing to adjust.
2. Coach to win.
3. Don't overthink.

Rampage
09-29-2011, 04:14 PM
I agree, this team has it in them.. Peaking at week four isn't what I'm asking for, just show me a little more..

Honestly, I would probably be more impressed with a loss in a close game in which the team didn't make sloppy mistakes like turnovers than I was after last week's win.

Thisoneguy555
09-29-2011, 04:28 PM
Yeah our Redzone O was horrible last week. Last year we where one of the best in the Redzone. Our problem this year is our running backs keep pulling up lame. Fosters hammy,Wards ankle then last week Tats ankle. It really sucks to have all these high powered RB and not be able to use them.
Once we get them healthy it should improve.

--- Added 9/28/2011 at 11:48 AM ---

Well your kinda right on this one. It wasnt so much that we played bad passing teams as it was just bad teams. Henne put up 500 odd yards against the Pats and if I remember correctly we held him to 250 or so.(I know the Pats sec. sucks) Against the Saints we gave Brees his first Two Interceptions of the year. Jonathon Joseph got one and D. Manning got the other,which made the signing of these two well worth it.
And like you said our pass rush has improved and thats helped the secondary as well.

Thing with Brees is that the type of offense they run he'll usually throw a lot of interceptions. He should have thrown 2 before the Texans game, he had a lot of interceptions dropped. But I think the Texans are still a toss up against the pass at the moment. They aren't as bad as the Patriots, but aren't as good as the Buccaneers.