PDA

View Full Version : Does Marty get fired now..

BlitzburghRockCity
01-15-2007, 01:43 PM
The chargers just blew a golden opportunity to finish off a great season where they had nearly everything go their way, and now what happens with a home field advantage and the SB in sight, they blow it.

That team wasn't perfect but they were clearly the more talented overall team on the field but they let it slip away with too many mistakes. Has Marty coached his last game in San Diego ?

Stairwayto7
01-15-2007, 01:58 PM
Top Gun your right he needs canned right now! Like I said in another post, they have way to much talent, to play Marty ball.

The problem for me is, the more coaches fired, the thinner the hiring pool becomes. I love Pittsburgh, but for most people given the choice of san Diego or the burgh?????

Ambridge
01-15-2007, 02:03 PM
I think it could go either way.
ESPN is already reporting that the Miami Dolphins have already expressed an interest in Marty if the Chargers let him go.

Something else I was wondering, how old is Marty?? I'm thinking early to mid
60's????????
How many more good years does he have and how fast could he bring a new team some success??

floodcitygirl
01-15-2007, 02:04 PM
The problem for me is, the more coaches fired, the thinner the hiring pool becomes. I love Pittsburgh, but for most people given the choice of san Diego or the burgh?????Hmmmm.....Hadn't thought of that. I would love to be back in Western PA myself and would never choose to live in California but someone without the roots and connection??? You have a good point.

Stairwayto7
01-15-2007, 02:09 PM
Hmmmm.....Hadn't thought of that. I would love to be back in Western PA myself and would never choose to live in California but someone without the roots and connection??? You have a good point.

I agree, and plan on moving back in the next 5-6 years anyway. Besides if say a Rivera opted for SD, he may miss out on Perogies, and Roethlisburgers!

AZ_Steeler
01-15-2007, 02:12 PM
Marty is 63 right now so he is getting up there. As for being fired now, it's the rumors floating around but I do feel sorry for the guy. He had a good team last year and they let go of his QB. This year they started with a new QB and they did well and unfortunately Rivers had no playoff experience but I don't think Rivers was the reason they lost yesterday. Marty was afraid of hearing about how he plays "Marty Ball" in the playoffs and he took things to an extreme yesterday and some some crucial mistakes like going for it on 4th and 11 from the Patriots 30 yard line... there is a happy medium that he just hasn't found yet. Will Marty be fired... I would have to say yes Marty will be fired, but I don't think it is the right decision by the Chargers if this is the route they take.

K Train
01-15-2007, 02:13 PM
yeah the roonys are gonna hire marty, just to depress us even more

TEEMONT
01-15-2007, 02:14 PM
Man, I don't know if you can pin that one yesterday on Marty. They had quite a few bad breaks (muffed punt, stripped interception) that coaches can't really do anything about. They haven't really played Marty since that loss to the birds.

Stairwayto7
01-15-2007, 02:19 PM
Marty is 63 right now so he is getting up there. As for being fired now, it's the rumors floating around but I do feel sorry for the guy. He had a good team last year and they let go of his QB. This year they started with a new QB and they did well and unfortunately Rivers had no playoff experience but I don't think Rivers was the reason they lost yesterday. Marty was afraid of hearing about how he plays "Marty Ball" in the playoffs and he took things to an extreme yesterday and some some crucial mistakes like going for it on 4th and 11 from the Patriots 30 yard line... there is a happy medium that he just hasn't found yet. Will Marty be fired... I would have to say yes Marty will be fired, but I don't think it is the right decision by the Chargers if this is the route they take.

If your Rivera, if thats who we want, what job is more appealing to you.

A damn good Steelers team with great ownership and front office

Or a damn good SD team with an MVP, and sunshine!

Ambridge
01-15-2007, 02:21 PM
Man, I don't know if you can pin that one yesterday on Marty. They had quite a few bad breaks (muffed punt, stripped interception) that coaches can't really do anything about. They haven't really played Marty since that loss to the birds.

The one thing Marty has been getting ripped for today on all the sports media shows is the Challenge on the interception then strip and fumble by Marlon McCree.
That lost timeout really came back to bite Marty and the Chargers in the *** in their last posession.

Steelersfan
01-15-2007, 02:24 PM

I thought he made some questionable calls but for the most part I don't blame him for the loss. The Chargers just failed to put the Pats away when they had every chance to do so. Now I have to go to work tomorrow and listen to all these stupid Pats fans up here! :banging:

floodcitygirl
01-15-2007, 02:30 PM
I agree, and plan on moving back in the next 5-6 years anyway. Besides if say a Rivera opted for SD, he may miss out on Perogies, and Roethlisburgers!Again with the food....you're relentless! :lol:

floodcitygirl
01-15-2007, 02:32 PM
The one thing Marty has been getting ripped for today on all the sports media shows is the Challenge on the interception then strip and fumble by Marlon McCree.
That lost timeout really came back to bite Marty and the Chargers in the *** in their last posession.I couldn't believe it when he challenged that???!! What could they have possibly seen that they thought could be overturned? That definately hurt them.

BR7
01-15-2007, 02:37 PM
Mabye he didn't think 4 running strides and possesion constituted a 'football move.'

I don't think that 'one' play lost it for them though. It certainly didn't help their situation, but wasn't the sole reason for the loss.

Chokenheimer.

Ambridge
01-15-2007, 02:43 PM
Mabye he didn't think 4 running strides and possesion constituted a 'football move.'

I don't think that 'one' play lost it for them though. It certainly didn't help their situation, but wasn't the sole reason for the loss.

Chokenheimer.

You mean run 4 wides?? The Chargers do that then the Pats easily close off the sidelines and keep everything in the middle of the field....the clock can't be stopped....game over. :cool:

BlitzburghRockCity
01-15-2007, 02:46 PM
This game was a combination of Marty and the inexperience of Philip Rivers. That last drive with a minute to go they wasted WAY too much time getting to the line and getting the play off, that falls on the QB. The challenge was bone head decision for sure. The muffed punt wasn't Marty's fault, he didnt make the player drop it. Also that DL for the chargers who head butted the Pats player on 3rd down and got flagged for 15 yds and kept the Pats drive alive and they got 3 more points out of it.

It was just a bad day all around for everyone except LT, but in the end to many mistakes killed them.

AZ_Steeler
01-15-2007, 02:57 PM
If your Rivera, if thats who we want, what job is more appealing to you.

A damn good Steelers team with great ownership and front office

Or a damn good SD team with an MVP, and sunshine!

That's a tough call :scratch: setting my Steelers hat aside for a minute and looking a this as a perspective coach for both teams... Wow, that is a damn good question Cleve!

Both teams are Super Bowl ready although the Steelers have taken a step back with now needing an OC. Both have good QB's, both have good defenses, both have awesome running backs with one of them coming off an MVP season... if I was all about security and keeping my job I would say the Steelers job would be best. However, if I wanted to get into the coaching position do my thing, try and win a quick SB or really suck and get fired and hope to land somewhere else then I would have to say the Chargers :dunno:

AZ_Steeler
01-17-2007, 08:29 PM
Update: I heard on ESPN News on my way home tonight that Marty will be back for one more year however, he did turn down a 1 year extension.

DIESELMAN
01-17-2007, 08:29 PM
ESPNews reports San Diego Chargers head coach Marty Schottenheimer will be retained and coach the team for the 2007 season. Schottenheimer declined a one-year, $4.5 million extension that included a $1 million buy-out option for the team.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-17-2007, 09:19 PM
So he's giving it another go then eh? Im glad for him, for all his shortcomings and coaching blunders the guy got real close this year with a very young team. Maybe he'll learn from his mistakes ?

well ok maybe not...

TampaSteelGirl
01-17-2007, 09:36 PM
yeah the roonys are gonna hire marty, just to depress us even more

hahahahahaha!! God I hope not!! LOL!!