PDA

View Full Version : After stewing for a day....some of my thoughts about last night.

SteelCityVoice
09-26-2011, 07:43 PM
I'll admit last night's game had me steaming as a Steeler fan.

The offensive line was a disgrace. They are so bad they hurt themselves trying to keep up. No fundamentals...No talent. Hard to fully blame Sean Kugler consider there's only Pouncey and Gilbert with any kind of pedigree on the line. The rest are journeymen has-beens and never-was type players.

It's shocking that the Steelers would choose to protect the most valuable player on the team behind such a patchwork group of players. This MUST be upgraded in the offseason.

I'm still trying to decide whether Rashard Mendenhall is becoming a bust or if it is because of above mentioned offensive line problems. Very tough to run where there's no holes. Maybe if he had the talent of Barry Sanders....but he doesn't.

Bruce Arians is a total moron, but everyone here already knew that. No change to the playcalls.

Every play was a checkdown by Ben but they seemed to be designed to go further down the field. Stupid when your O-Line can't protect for more than a second and a half.

Mike Wallace is still a beast and will be for years to come. Antonio Brown is going to be an incredible player, and even Emmanuel Sanders as well, though he had a few brain farts last night.

On Defense, I think the problem we are seeing isn't the entire Defense getting old, but just the D-Line. Unfortunately in a 3-4 D you rely on the guys up front to suck up blocks so the linebackers can make plays.

When Aaron Smith is getting blown off the ball constantly, the linebacker behind him is going to look awful. Who plays on Smith's side? LaMarr Woodley. Is it a coincidence he's not looking anywhere close to worthy of the offseason contract he got?

Hampton isn't looking good either, and that is making Timmons and Farrior look worse as well. Don't get me wrong I think Farrior is looking a step too slow, but mostly because he has to move further than he should to make the plays, and it's showing off the fact he's lost a step.

No pressure up front is leaving the secondary, already a weaker spot to begin with, out to dry. Ike Taylor and Troy look fine, as does Ryan Clark, but William Gay, Keenan Lewis, Bryant McFadden (not last night of course) and the rest of the secondary just can't seem to make plays.

On special teams, Suisham's miss last night in a dome when them team NEEDED the points is a bit of a red flag. On the whole though he was 3 for 4 including the game winner, so you can't get too upset. Even still, I guess I wish we had a kicker you truly believed in.

Overall, the team is 2-1 which can't be discounted, but the quarterbacks they have beaten are Tarvaris Jackson and the combo of Kerry Collins and Curtis Painter. I really need to see a lot more out of this team as the season progresses.

Priority number one this week. SIGN SOME OFFENSIVE LINEMEN!!!

Goodfrom55
09-26-2011, 08:34 PM
Fair rant. . .Regarding the defense, I thought they played pretty well last night. Just because Manning wasn't under center doesn't mean the rest of the Colts offense stunk. I would like to see Ziggy, Heyward, and McClendon see more time up front though.

Regarding Mendenhall, ABSOLUTELY NOT A BUST The Defense will pick up on the fact that the Steelers ran on 1st down on all but 3 times last night. There will be limited success behind this O-Line without a fullback or lead blocker. That's why they were walking the safety up to the LOS right before the snap because they knew it was more likely than not going to be a running play.

There were a lot of checkdowns becuase that's all there was time for.

Regarding the **** poor play of the O-line this season, of their 3 games played so far, they have played against 2 of the better f not best D-Lines in the NFL in Baltimore and Indy. I don't give them a pass by any stretch, but I do anticipate a much better game from that bunch this week.

One positive from the game, I dig the non-verbal communication between Wallace and Ben.

SteelCurtain17
09-26-2011, 08:51 PM
I agree with a lot of your points here. I definately think this offsensive line is just plain embarassing. This is the most obvious weakness of this team and if it doesn't get corrected they won't win many games. Mendenhall, I can't really blame him much with the people in front of him. Plus, he is more succesfull when he is able to get outside and hit open field. The defense I think still looks a little shakey. The run defense is not up to par either right now and that worries me too. Overall I'm a little encouraged though because even though they didn't play a good game, they still find a way to win. I think that's a sign of a very good football team. This team has the talent and the heart to win, they just need to go out each and every week and prove it.

LatrobePA
09-26-2011, 08:57 PM
Does the oline pick who plays on it? I'm upset with those people!

BlitzburghRockCity
09-26-2011, 09:00 PM
Good stuff Dom, I'll choose a few comments to throw my .02 in on as well.

When Aaron Smith is getting blown off the ball constantly, the linebacker behind him is going to look awful. Who plays on Smith's side? LaMarr Woodley. Is it a coincidence he's not looking anywhere close to worthy of the offseason contract he got?

This is a very good point. Smith was playing well last year until he got hurt, and Woodley was also doing well. When Smith went down and Hood stepped in, Woodley got quiet for a few weeks until Hood started getting his sea legs, so to speak. When the line isn't doing their job the linebackers can't do theirs. I love Aaron Smith to death, he should be a Hall of Famer in my opinion but it's becoming clear that father time and past injuries have left him more vulnerable.

Hampton isn't looking good either, and that is making Timmons and Farrior look worse as well. Don't get me wrong I think Farrior is looking a step too slow, but mostly because he has to move further than he should to make the plays, and it's showing off the fact he's lost a step.

This whole Farrior and Foote swapping positions thing is all well and good, but has Farrior really lost that much that you have to keep swapping him out? If the answer is yes, then the Steelers should have done the "Steeler" thing and cut ties with him. I hate to say because Farrior is such a great linebacker but when you have to make situational moves to keep a player around because they have lost that much, something is wrong. I like Foote, I've always been a big fan and I'm glad he's on the team. I think though this whole rotation thing just doesn't seem to be working because neither player is all that effective. Perhaps that's a direct result of the defensive line not being able to hold their blocks but something is definitely off.

Every play was a checkdown by Ben but they seemed to be designed to go further down the field. Stupid when your O-Line can't protect for more than a second and a half.

I would kill to see Ben do more checkdowns that were actually real checkdowns. We saw him do that a lot in the Seattle game but then they went right back to this all or nothing passing game. Going deep is fine and we certainly have the talent for it, but think of the ways we could move the ball if Arians and Ben would start using the short passing game. We beat this dead horse every season but nothing changes. I just don't understand how coaches don't see this as an effective gameplan? If they would stop with the tunnel vision and get past themselves, we might actually see a prolific offense worthy of the talent surrounding it.

SteelCityVoice
09-26-2011, 09:18 PM
Don't get me wrong, I thought the D played well, in fact they really limited a lot of the damage of the three turnovers. The only offensive TD they gave up was with Painter at the helm. Ike SHOULD have been burned on his play but Painter missed a wide open Pierre Garcon.

As a whole though other than the run defense, they did a good job.

The source of my ire today is the offensive line. Should I feel guilty that I was cheering when Jonathan Scott went down with an injury because let's be honest...it couldn't get worse at left tackle at that point.

Mike Tomlin
09-26-2011, 09:41 PM
I would kill to see Ben do more checkdowns that were actually real checkdowns. We saw him do that a lot in the Seattle game but then they went right back to this all or nothing passing game. Going deep is fine and we certainly have the talent for it, but think of the ways we could move the ball if Arians and Ben would start using the short passing game. We beat this dead horse every season but nothing changes. I just don't understand how coaches don't see this as an effective gameplan? If they would stop with the tunnel vision and get past themselves, we might actually see a prolific offense worthy of the talent surrounding it.

With Wallace pulling the safeties back guys like Sanders and Brown can make 20 to 30 yard gains off of a 5 yard pass. Ben has to get the ball to these guys quick and let them make the yards after the catch. That would take some of the pressure off of our tackles.

As far as the defense goes I agree about the D-line , I think it's time to see what Heyward has. I figure if he goes out and falls on his face then you atleast have Kiesel coming back. I just think once he has a few games under his belt he will really help the run game and the pass rush. This cat is a natural run stopper so he'll get into the flow of the game.

The number one reason we get killed by passing teams is that we have no one that can play man other than Ike. That means you know longer have to guess where Troy is because he's behind McFadden or stuck in a zone. So now they just run a tight end through the zone and get ten yards on that play all game long, those were the very plays Troy used to pick off when he had the freedom to roam. Now he's stuck taking up the slack for the corners and they just throw at who ever Troys not over the top of. We have to play man or we will not win another superbowl anytime soon. If we could find just one corner opposite Ike it's over. That way we can keep Troy between the numbers where he can reach where ever he wants.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-27-2011, 04:17 PM
If I remember right, didn't they try and put Troy on the tight ends when we play the teams that utlitize that strategy against us? I know they've done it against Gates and Gonzalez, and I think they tried it some in the super bowl.

I know they also tried Timmons in that Polamalu type roaming role which was both good and bad. Timmons was all over the field but even he got outrun or out of position at times in coverage.

Honestly it just seems like anything they try never seems to work in that situation.

Mike Tomlin
09-27-2011, 10:33 PM
If I remember right, didn't they try and put Troy on the tight ends when we play the teams that utlitize that strategy against us? I know they've done it against Gates and Gonzalez, and I think they tried it some in the super bowl.

I know they also tried Timmons in that Polamalu type roaming role which was both good and bad. Timmons was all over the field but even he got outrun or out of position at times in coverage.

Honestly it just seems like anything they try never seems to work in that situation.

Yeah and when Troy covers the tight end they just throw at anyone other than Ike. Unless we get another corner the burning will continue.