PDA

View Full Version : When Does Kevin Colbert Start Taking Some Blame?

SteelDad
09-26-2011, 01:30 PM
Our first-ever GM seems to be coming through this unscathed and I think it's time he start feeling the heat. There is no way the offensive line should have been left in the mediocre position it has been. Not just in starters, but in depth as well. I know, I know, we've had bad O-lines and still make it to the SB, but those lines were hall of fame worthy compared to what we have right now.

DBR96A
09-26-2011, 01:36 PM
You realize that the Steelers generally draft at a position that's too low to get a blue-chip offensive lineman without sacrificing, right?

75Steeler
09-26-2011, 01:37 PM
Good question!

Stairwayto7
09-26-2011, 01:39 PM
Now i hope! Unless its already started

steelchamp204
09-26-2011, 01:46 PM
Idk man,start a facebook page I guees.

Rampage
09-26-2011, 01:50 PM
I can't say for certain. What is the percentage breakdown between the coaches and front office when it comes to personnel related decision making? If Colbert only gets a fraction of that responsibility, it's hard to blame him. If he gets the majority of it and the coaching staff is asking him to address certain areas only to put this team on the field, it's easy to blame him. Without knowing for certain, I have to put a lot of blame on the coaches.

If the coaches consistently put rookies on the field in the secondary and on both lines, then I would be concerned with the front office. Seeing young guys sit in favor of aging veterans tells me that it isn't a lack of the front office providing talent so much as it is stubbornness by coaches.

SteelDad
09-26-2011, 01:54 PM
You realize that the Steelers generally draft at a position that's too low to get a blue-chip offensive lineman without sacrificing, right?

He does do player eval and does the drafting though, correct?

Stone
09-26-2011, 01:58 PM
Don't know much about Colbert directly but I know our patchwork O line can only survive so long, our inept O coordinator needs some guidance (hopefully out the door), and our defensive aggression has become sporadic.

coldrolled
09-26-2011, 01:59 PM
when does the pitt media start hammering arians... lets start at the core problem..

our offense really has not gotten better during BA's tenure... its really the same O. with some new faces here and there.

Deviouz1
09-26-2011, 02:01 PM
this is frustrating. basically, if rampage has posted recently in a thread, 90% of the time all i would be doing is echoing his sentiments. i give up. he is now my Official Spokesperson.

keep it up and i may need to break out the black and gold pom-poms. you should pray that that day never comes.

Raleigh Steel
09-26-2011, 02:20 PM
good topic. i made this point while texting with a buddy last night. the steelers have been a victim of their success by drafting late in the first round. so by the time they pick, the 1st round o-lineman is not there...or CB for that matter. so they stick with a tried and true method of BPA.

but at some point, you have to use the FA route and upgrade these positions. that hasn't happened, with the exception of bringing in Flo last year (and that worked out pretty well). so then it comes to coaching and personnel decisions. the steelers downgraded their o-line this year...plain and simple. the raven upgraded theirs. the steelers did not upgrade their porous secondary.

and then there is the OC...i'm convinced that the steelers have ZERO game plan for any opponent. they are just gonna go out and run their plays that they always do and if they win, they win and that's it. no week to week adjustments...no in game adjustments...not even play book adjustments. that fact that this team gains any yards or scores any points is a tribute to ben.

the team that is on the field right now, is not a team that can go anywhere. and i'll take the heat on what i'm about to say...but i'm okay with it. i'll give up a year of success if it helps us build for long term success in the future. a crappy year this year will bring us higher picks, which brings us much needed players...not BPA's. don't get me wrong...i don't want to see the steelers fail, i'm cheering for them to lose, or am i a bandwagon jumper or anything even remotely like that... but if they do, i'd be okay with it this year. the last time we had a really bad year, it brought us big ben the next year. that worked out pretty well for us.

SteelDad
09-26-2011, 02:21 PM
when does the pitt media start hammering arians... lets start at the core problem..

our offense really has not gotten better during BA's tenure... its really the same O. with some new faces here and there.

Excellent point. He seems to be made of teflon in the Pittsburgh media.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-26-2011, 03:23 PM
I can't say for certain. What is the percentage breakdown between the coaches and front office when it comes to personnel related decision making? If Colbert only gets a fraction of that responsibility, it's hard to blame him. If he gets the majority of it and the coaching staff is asking him to address certain areas only to put this team on the field, it's easy to blame him. Without knowing for certain, I have to put a lot of blame on the coaches.

If the coaches consistently put rookies on the field in the secondary and on both lines, then I would be concerned with the front office. Seeing young guys sit in favor of aging veterans tells me that it isn't a lack of the front office providing talent so much as it is stubbornness by coaches.

Colbert gets a lot of credit for all the good picks, but he also gets some of the blame for the ones that are busts. The good thing is that usually he nails it in the first 3 rounds, maybe the first 4 rounds. After that though it's been a total crap shoot. Granted you can't hit on every late round pick but still, you'd like too see more of them be productive.

Don't forget, how many potential prospects have been cut over the years because of the Steelers tunnel vision concerning their veterans?

As far as the offensive line goes, you also need to blame the scouting department as well. These guys go out and watch all the potential draft picks that the Steelers take. So the blame goes everywhere. Until the Steelers start addressing the offensive line, things aren't going to change.

Nolrog
09-26-2011, 03:38 PM
Our first-ever GM seems to be coming through this unscathed and I think it's time he start feeling the heat. There is no way the offensive line should have been left in the mediocre position it has been. Not just in starters, but in depth as well. I know, I know, we've had bad O-lines and still make it to the SB, but those lines were hall of fame worthy compared to what we have right now.

2011: 2nd Gilbert, 6th Keith Williams
2010: 1st Pouncy, 5th Chris Scott
2009: 3rd Kraig Urbik, 7th A.Q. Shipley

With the exception of Pouncy, the others don't play much (Gilbert only because of injury, has Scott even seen the field?) They have been drafting guys, but Tomlin doesn't play them.

Now, we do need to get much better value in the 2nd round, and maybe once in a while, get lucky with a guy in the 5th or 6th round, but they've spent a 1, a 2 and a 3 in the last 3 years on the offensive line, and have 1 guy to show for it.

Rampage
09-26-2011, 03:44 PM
The team would be better off packaging everything from the fourth back and moving into the third, where they should only take receivers. :lol:

LatrobePA
09-26-2011, 04:22 PM
How many times was Wallace thrown to in the 2nd half?? How many in the first?? Makes you go hmmmm....

How many times did we run up the gut? ALL FREAKING NIGHT!! This is an OC problem not brass, you know you have a **** line but you draw crap like this up?? What does Tomlin do? Nothing, he lets this scrub continue to put together crap!!

With out Ben, this team would be doomed!!

coldrolled
09-26-2011, 04:58 PM
How many times was Wallace thrown to in the 2nd half?? How many in the first?? Makes you go hmmmm....

How many times did we run up the gut? ALL FREAKING NIGHT!! This is an OC problem not brass, you know you have a **** line but you draw crap like this up?? What does Tomlin do? Nothing, he lets this scrub continue to put together crap!!

With out Ben, this team would be doomed!!

BA was making it hard on the colts defense to decide what they should do:

Should we rush the middle and get ben??

or should we bull rush the middle and get mendy..??

Lets just bull rush all night... that worked for them well.

We just picked up our body parts... like an old war film... we need a mash unit set up right behind arians on the sidlines.. maybe it will give him a visual of his game plan as casualties come in....

cmerrifield
09-26-2011, 09:49 PM
Tomlin is calling the personnel now. Maybe not officially, but this has become his team and he is getting final say. The same thing happened with Cowher, he really got final say. I know this to be true when the owners said we are done signing FA's and Tomlin makes a call to the Rooney's (Dan) and Troy gets signed. This is Tomlin's team now.

connecticutsteel
09-26-2011, 11:12 PM
Isn't it strange how guys the steelers cut are productive and solid for other teams like Kraig Urbik is a starter for Buffalo .Tony HILLS continues to see more and more time for the Broncos. or orein harris(Bengals) bo lacy(FALCONS) cam stevenson(Jax). the team that feasts on our cuts the most beat the patriots this week . That's right the bills signed worthington, urbik last year and kieth williams this year

Thisoneguy555
09-26-2011, 11:24 PM
General Managers take the praise when they get good players, but disappear in the shadows and blame the coaches when the team hasn't done a good job drafting or bringing in free agents.