PDA

View Full Version : Dumb coaching decisions by Tomlin...

Troyisabeast_43
09-26-2011, 09:12 AM
At the end of the game I felt not challenging that 3rd down pass complete to Collie I believe where he was stopped about a 1/2 to a yard short of a 1st down. The Colts got a good spot there and went on of course to tie the game. The other thing I didnt understand was why didnt Tomlin run the clock down to 3 seconds at the end of the game before Suisham kicked the winning FG instead of calling timeout with 8 seconds left where you have to kick the ball off and give the Colts at least one more play. I know the chances of Indy scoring there at the end were slim to none but why risk it?? Why not just run it down to 3 seconds get the damn game winning FG and get the hell out of there. I just didnt like either of those decisions by Tomlin at all...

cmerrifield
09-26-2011, 09:22 AM
The final kick of the game was probably for 2 reasons, #1 play clock forced the 8 seconds, we would have had to run 1 more play. #2 what if there was a bad snap. We could have jumped on it and still possibly been in Suisham's range.

SteelDad
09-26-2011, 09:24 AM
The final kick of the game was probably for 2 reasons, #1 play clock forced the 8 seconds, we would have had to run 1 more play. #2 what if there was a bad snap. We could have jumped on it and still possibly been in Suisham's range.

Exactly on both points. I do agree that the spot of the ball should have been challenged. There was really nothing to lose at that point other than a timeout and if you win the challenge it's 4th and short.

Troyisabeast_43
09-26-2011, 09:30 AM
Suisham had to step up and make both of those kicks he made in the 4th quarter. Had he missed 1 or both of those kicks this board is absolutely calling for Suisham's head. Sushi is okay with me for now but I still dont feel 100 percent confident about him as much as I did last year when he kicked. He still has a lot to prove and is going to have to make another big FG or two once again before this season is over which I am all but certain he will be called upon to do.

coldrolled
09-26-2011, 09:35 AM
Keeping Arians after this game.

RIVERS OF STEEL
09-26-2011, 10:11 AM
He doesn't know it but, someone on the other side of the ball stole his playbook. Looks like everything we do is already being read.

Thisoneguy555
09-26-2011, 11:09 AM
The end of the game he didn't run the clock down just in case there was a bad snap or something on the field goal attempt. This was actually a good decision by him, if you think this was stupid, you should have your head checked.

If he runs it down to 3 seconds, the snap is bad, or the holder drops the ball or something, if there is not enough time to rekick.
But if there is 8 seconds, bad snap or something goes wrong, they fall on the ball and rekick. This is just common football knowledge.

Tomlin deserves credit for that, you are just knit picking trying to kind something he did wrong.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-26-2011, 11:37 AM
Not challenging that 3rd down pass, I agree with you on. They gave Collie a very generous spot. He was probably just gunshy though about losing a timeout if they didn't win the challenge.

The FG try I'm ok with, Sushi already missed 1 FG earlier that he should have made so giving him a second chance in case he missed it again was the safe route to go.

Katmandu
09-26-2011, 11:58 AM
He doesn't know it but, someone on the other side of the ball stole his playbook. How can they steal something the BA doesn't have ?

BTW, didn't BA write the movie GROUND HOG DAY ??

jpbucco
09-26-2011, 12:55 PM
Not challenging that 3rd down pass, I agree with you on. They gave Collie a very generous spot. He was probably just gunshy though about losing a timeout if they didn't win the challenge.

The FG try I'm ok with, Sushi already missed 1 FG earlier that he should have made so giving him a second chance in case he missed it again was the safe route to go.

You can't re-kick a field goal if it goes past the line of scrimmage. He was talking about a botched snap.

Raleigh Steel
09-26-2011, 01:10 PM
The end of the game he didn't run the clock down just in case there was a bad snap or something on the field goal attempt. This was actually a good decision by him, if you think this was stupid, you should have your head checked.

If he runs it down to 3 seconds, the snap is bad, or the holder drops the ball or something, if there is not enough time to rekick.
But if there is 8 seconds, bad snap or something goes wrong, they fall on the ball and rekick. This is just common football knowledge.

Tomlin deserves credit for that, you are just knit picking trying to kind something he did wrong.

correct me if i'm wrong, but i thought we were out of timeouts. if we have a botched snap, there is no way we get set and get one more play off. if we had 1 more timeout than yes, 8 seconds left is a good time to do it. did we have another timeout?

Black@Gold Forever32
09-26-2011, 01:12 PM
I'm not happy at all with Coach T....I'm tired of the cliches and I'm tired of him for letting this team look so unprepared at times especially in big games........Super Bowl XLV and the Ravens game.........

steelersbabex25
09-26-2011, 01:13 PM
When I opened this thread I was sure it would include something about not firing Bruce Arians..

connecticutsteel
09-26-2011, 01:25 PM
The way i feel is that none of these points means anything we won the game period style points don't matter . They don't gold plate the Lombardi cause you won by 30 .Let's face facts the players have to make plays.As long as our play remains above the line then the standard is the standard lol.

steelchamp204
09-26-2011, 01:33 PM
The way i feel is that none of these points means anything we won the game period style points don't matter . They don't gold plate the Lombardi cause you won by 30 .Let's face facts the players have to make plays.As long as our play remains above the line then the standard is the standard lol.

The Academy Award goes to.

Dun Dun Dun..........

Connecticutsteel :lol:

Stone
09-26-2011, 04:00 PM
Keeping Arians after this game.

Keeping Arians after the Ravens game!

Not changing the pass happy game plan after the first half last night!

Keeping Arians after any game!

Rampage
09-26-2011, 04:09 PM
Tomlin has never impressed me with clock management and that was just another example of sloppiness at the end of a game. The team simply does not appear to be disciplined at this point. Who knows, maybe they can get it together sooner than later, but as it stands, I have not been impressed.

Clevelandsux
09-26-2011, 07:07 PM
I think he made a dumb decision by not challenging that spot. It was pretty obvious it was short. Could have cost us the game.

LarryNJ
09-26-2011, 09:45 PM
Head coaches are responsible for everything, they get the glory in a win and the grief in a loss. But who is it that tells them to throw the challenge flag or not? They certainly don't have access to all the replays.

Thisoneguy555
09-27-2011, 12:42 AM
correct me if i'm wrong, but i thought we were out of timeouts. if we have a botched snap, there is no way we get set and get one more play off. if we had 1 more timeout than yes, 8 seconds left is a good time to do it. did we have another timeout?

I thought they had one left, apparently they didn't.

Someone had a brain fart on the sidelines then. Tomlin specifically said after the game they took the time out early to make sure there wasn't a mistake. If he's that stupid, sorry I defended him.