PDA

View Full Version : Whisenhunt exit leaves Grimm atop Steelers' coach list

BlitzburghRockCity
01-15-2007, 01:12 AM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07015/753980-66.stm

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Russ Grimm became the leading candidate as the next Steelers coach when Ken Whisenhunt accepted the job to become coach of the Arizona Cardinals yesterday.

Mr. Grimm, the Steelers' assistant head coach and offensive line coach, could be named their head coach by the end of the week.

Mr. Whisenhunt, the Steelers' offensive coordinator, and Mr. Grimm were the top two candidates to replace Bill Cowher. Although three other coaches have been interviewed by the Steelers, it has long been considered a two-horse race between the team's top two offensive assistants.

The Steelers had not offered Mr. Whisenhunt or Mr. Grimm the job. They also were not given an opportunity to counter the job offer that Mr. Whisenhunt accepted from the Cardinals yesterday.

Arizona will officially announce Mr. Whisenhunt's hiring tomorrow.

The Steelers also have interviewed Georgia Tech coach Chan Gailey and two defensive coordinators from NFC teams -- Ron Rivera of the Chicago Bears and Mike Tomlin of the Minnesota Vikings. By virtue of the Bears' beating the Seattle Seahawks in their playoff game yesterday, Mr. Rivera could not be hired until either Chicago loses next Sunday in the NFC championship game or until after the Feb. 4 Super Bowl.

The Steelers also asked and received permission from the Houston Texans to talk to Mike Sherman, that team's assistant head coach/offense, but an interview isn't expected to be scheduled.

Cowher last week recommended that the Steelers hire Mr. Gailey, and because of that Mr. Gailey was a late addition to the team's list of candidates and was interviewed on Saturday in Pittsburgh. However, he is not considered a viable candidate for the job.

The Steelers still could conduct a second round of interviews. If they do, Mr. Grimm and perhaps Tomlin would be those brought in. But for the Steelers to hire anyone but Mr. Grimm at this point would be considered a monumental upset. All of the Steelers' assistant coaches are under contract through next season and team officials want to keep the continuity of a staff they believe is among the best they've had on a team one year removed from a Super Bowl championship.
Because those coaches are under contract, Mr. Whisenhunt will be unable to bring many -- if any -- with him to Arizona. Mr. Grimm likely would promote wide receivers coach Bruce Arians to offensive coordinator, a job he once held in Cleveland. Mr. Grimm would have to hire a running backs coach to replace the retired Dick Hoak, a receivers coach to replace Mr. Arians and an offensive line coach to replace himself.

There's alot to talk about in this article.

First off Grimm does seem to be the logical choice and honestly I hope he gets it. He's a good guy and devoted to the team.

Also it's a good damn thing Whiz can't try and get any of our coaches to come with him since most of them are under contract. If he'd start pulling that **** of trying to take our guys I'd be pissed off as all hell and lose respect for him.

Ive been figuring that either Arians or Whipple would get promoted to offensive coordinator if we hire from within. We've had alot of success from promoting former assistant coaches into Coordinator roles so either of them would do well.

Koopa
01-15-2007, 01:19 AM
this article made me sick.....who the **** says mr??? that was ****ing retarded and made dumb to read, just put the ****ing last names **** the mr title

**** whiz now, i guess we have to settle for second best and that's grimm......just ****ing hurry up and hire him before he goes to the raiders

BlitzburghRockCity
01-15-2007, 01:23 AM
Yeah I thought that was alittle odd myself. Ive never heard Mr. so many times in one article. I think I just called my wife, Mr. now !

:lol:

BlacknGold Bleeder
01-15-2007, 01:24 AM
[Q

. We've had alot of success from promoting former assistant coaches into Coordinator roles so either of them would do well.[/QUOTE]

Our Coordinators don't have a great track record as Head Coaches...

Black@Gold Forever32
01-15-2007, 01:27 AM
Russ Grimm won't coach the Raiders. I don't think many coaches want to work for Uncle Al. That guy is a out there and the game has passed him by.

BlitzburghNation
01-15-2007, 01:28 AM
Guess our OC will depend on our HC,,,,,,,,,,,,,,If it's grimm it'll probably be from within ! But i still think there gonna hire someone else besides grimm,don't get me wrong I love GRIMM and would hate to see him go,,,,,, But whiz is gone and i think GRIMM is next ! Rivera or Tomlin that's our next coach ,,,,,,,,I'm predicting !

TEEMONT
01-15-2007, 01:28 AM
[Q

. We've had alot of success from promoting former assistant coaches into Coordinator roles so either of them would do well.

Our Coordinators don't have a great track record as Head Coaches...[/QUOTE]

Well, I guess that won't affect us at all.

BlacknGold Bleeder
01-15-2007, 01:36 AM
Grimm hasn't had a second interview... he isn't going anywhere after all he's still under contract. That is if he's wanted by new HC, it would be good to help with continuity.

go cats
01-15-2007, 02:08 AM
Thank god he's out of the division, hopefully he'll take a few assistants

SteelersfaninPhilly
01-15-2007, 02:41 AM
Thank god he's out of the division, hopefully he'll take a few assistants

Do not see that happening.

SteelersWoman
01-15-2007, 04:28 AM
Rivera or Tomlin that's our next coach .....

I wanted Whiz, but he's waited a lonnng time to get named as Steelers HC, and he apparently found out for sure that wasn't gonna happen. He feels he's capable of leading a team, so he has every right to take the biggest job of them all--HC to try to prove himself capable.

I think if they wanted Grimm, they'd have taken him already--but just like with Whiz, not only haven't they made a move--early on they gave him their blessing to look outside the organization.

Since Whiz is out, (and it's pretty apparent to me they don't want Grimm) I agree with blitz--it's probably gonna be Rivera or Tomlin. And out of those two, (with the Rooneys continuing the waiting game) it appears like it's Rivera they're waiting on.

Stairwayto7
01-15-2007, 08:47 AM
I agree,but he must have known after the interview that it wasnt going to happen!
I wonder if he asked the Rooneys point blank! Yes or No? Let me know or let me Go!

BlitzburghRockCity
01-15-2007, 09:04 AM
According to that article Whiz didn't give the Steelers a chance to counter the offer from the Cardinals; so that tells me either he really didn't want to be our HC as much as he said he did, or he was just so happy to finally get an offer to coach a team that he figured he'd better jump on it.

AZ_Steeler
01-15-2007, 11:02 AM
IMO I felt he really wanted to jump on the offer because it was his first one and I'm sure it's gotta be exciting! Plus I know the Cardinals are not afraid to throw some money around especially when the city is pushing them to produce a winning team after raising our taxes to build them their new stadium, so it was probably a pretty good offer and he knew the Steelers wouldn't come close to those numbers...

BlitzburghRockCity
01-15-2007, 11:09 AM
Once again it's all about the money, that's what kills me about professional athletes, coaches, and the like. There's no way that anybody can justify to me how you can't live on 3 million a year instead of having to need 5 million a year just because. It's always about the money no matter how much people tell you it isnt.

The fact that Whiz said he wanted to stay in Pittsburgh and he didnt give us the chance to counter the Cards offer or atleast give us the chance to talk about it for a couple hours just makes you realize even more that money talks and bullshit walks, IMO atleast.

Sure there are exceptions to that rule, there always is, but for the most part you don't see many players staying put for less money when they could go somewhere else for A LOT more.

AZ_Steeler
01-15-2007, 11:15 AM
The more we discuss this the more I think about my personal career and what I probably would have done in his situation... which would have the same thing! This is Ken's first offer has an HC, he's never had such a thing before so he probably didn't want to let the offer sit on the table too long because it could have passed him by.

I personally would have jumped on the offer as well because for some people they know all they need is chance to prove themselves as a HC (or as a manager in the real world) and so I'm thinking that was his same mentality... Maybe I'm just grasping at thin air :dunno:

Captcoolhand
01-15-2007, 11:17 AM
Once again it's all about the money, that's what kills me about professional athletes, coaches, and the like. There's no way that anybody can justify to me how you can't live on 3 million a year instead of having to need 5 million a year just because. It's always about the money no matter how much people tell you it isnt.

The fact that Whiz said he wanted to stay in Pittsburgh and he didnt give us the chance to counter the Cards offer or atleast give us the chance to talk about it for a couple hours just makes you realize even more that money talks and bullshit walks, IMO atleast.

Sure there are exceptions to that rule, there always is, but for the most part you don't see many players staying put for less money when they could go somewhere else for A LOT more.
Not trying to change the subject... but come on TG, if you could go somewhere else and work doing the same thing you are now (and be on SA while at work) for more money, you probably would:yesnod: :lol:

House of Steel
01-15-2007, 11:25 AM
Capt, I would disagree with you on that and stick with what Top Gun is saying. Professional Sports are being taken out of context with money talks. You can't trust anyone in the sports world of what they are saying. Whiz wanted to stay in Pittsburgh but took the offer and the money with it. Everybody is a hungry, greedy idiot. Dude, I would stay in Pittsburgh in Whiz's situation cause I know the winning tradition would always continue and the Steelers have a great core of youngster and veterans a like that will possibly bring another championship or two. Common Sense, Capt.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-15-2007, 11:25 AM
If I was financially secure and happy in the job I was in, you would not find me leaving just for the sake of leaving because of a few more dollars. Yes there are alot of variables involved in a decision like that but if I spent most of working life making 6 or 7 figures with a team and city that I loved, you wouldnt see me leaving on the first bus outta town, and thats the truth :redcool:

AZ_Steeler
01-15-2007, 11:34 AM
I don't know... I was always loyal to my employers, sometimes a little to loyal, but when the company I now work for came calling with the salary they were offering I was all ears!!! :D At 31 years of age if I was to fill out a job application and they wanted my last 5 jobs I could only give them 4 and the 4th would be my very first high school job and I have had to file my taxes every since then because I even worked through college... I completely understand Whiz's decision but unfortunately we will never know just how much money was involved.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-15-2007, 11:42 AM
I'd have no problems with his decision, well some problems maybe but in any event I just cant stand when somebody tells you one thing and does the complete opposite, as in his case.

The main problem as you mentioned is that we'll never know all the parameters involved before he got the job offer so we can't say for sure what the situation was all about, and we'll never know most likely. Oh well, and yet we're still here being sports fans like always :lol:

AZ_Steeler
01-15-2007, 11:48 AM
I'd have no problems with his decision, well some problems maybe but in any event I just cant stand when somebody tells you one thing and does the complete opposite, as in his case.

This part bothers me as well but it's been happening so much lately that it's becoming the norm and should just expect it to happen. I don't know if you caught the Saban interview on ESPN last night but they asked him why he said he was not interested in Alabama but yet he jumped ship anyways... his comment was something to the effect that if he had answered "No Comment" when being asked about Alabama that people and the media would have drawn their own conclusions and would have probably said that "No Comment" meant he was thinking about it, when at the time he actually wasn't interested.

When it all comes down to it, these guys are just really protecting themselves especially with how the media is now-a-days :dunno: I'm sure Whiz did really want to stay in Pittsburgh but at the same time he probably knew the first offer he got as an HC he would be gone....

Koopa
01-15-2007, 04:03 PM
According to that article Whiz didn't give the Steelers a chance to counter the offer from the Cardinals; so that tells me either he really didn't want to be our HC as much as he said he did, or he was just so happy to finally get an offer to coach a team that he figured he'd better jump on it.

or they told him they wouldn't match and the media is just saying he didn't give them a chance

SteelersfaninPhilly
01-15-2007, 05:57 PM
The Steelers may allow quarterbacks coach Mark Whipple to join Mr. Whisenhunt as his offensive coordinator in Arizona. That would create another opening for a quarterbacks coach with the Steelers.

SteelerFan87
01-15-2007, 06:24 PM
The Steelers may allow quarterbacks coach Mark Whipple to join Mr. Whisenhunt as his offensive coordinator in Arizona. That would create another opening for a quarterbacks coach with the Steelers.

NOOOOO!!!! That would be incredibly stupid! You let the candidate who Roethlisberger was most comfortable with leave, and now you're going to let his QB coach leave too????