PDA

View Full Version : If you can't run the ball, use the short passing game!

BlitzburghRockCity
09-26-2011, 01:04 AM
It's not rocket science here, how many times do we have to beat this dead horse? How much more can Big Ben take before somebody on the coaching staff steps up and uses the short passing game?!!

The Colts were selling out to stop the run, and they did it all night long. Mendenhall had 18 carries for 37 yds. Ben was actually the #2 rusher on the team today, 5 carries for 15 yds. Bruce Arians repeatedly tried to beat his head against a wall by running the ball and getting nowhere fast.

This is the time where you break out the short passing game. I mean for the love of God, use the weapons that you have here. Ward, Wallace, Brown, Heath, and Sanders are all capable of getting the short passes for 6-8 yds at a shot. It all comes back to them being so stubborn and bull headed that they won't think outside the box.

When Tomlin was asked at halftime what adjustments he would make, he said we'll stick with the gameplan! A gameplan that includes your QB getting killed, no running game, and can't move the ball without shooting yourself in the foot by turnovers.

MattyVfromCT
09-26-2011, 01:11 AM
bruce arians is an arrogant moron. when we are running it down teams' throats he abandons the run for 4-5 wr sets and when we can't run he keeps calling runs up the middle. i wish somebody invented a tv where you can reach through and punch someone so all of steeler nation could put that guy in the hospital and off the sidelines. and seriously, we need to stop sticking to the gameplan just for the sake of sticking to the gameplan. in this league you have to be able to adapt to what the defense gives you. there was an article in si called "adapt or die" and it couldn't be any more correct.......

BlacknGold Bleeder
09-26-2011, 01:14 AM
Seems to me a few more screen plays might have slowed that pas rush down some,but I don't make millions of dollars coaching either...

Thisoneguy555
09-26-2011, 01:14 AM
Bruce Arians version of short passing...

Bubble screen to a wide receiver which loses 3 yards.

steelersbabex25
09-26-2011, 01:15 AM
GOOD THING REDMAN DIDN'T COME IN UNTIL THE LAST PLAY OF THE GAME, EH? :banging:

BlitzburghRockCity
09-26-2011, 01:36 AM
Seems to me a few more screen plays might have slowed that pas rush down some,but I don't make millions of dollars coaching either...

It's painfully obvious that even the guys that do make millions as a coach aren't seeing the light either dude. This run, run, pass is so unbelievably predictable that it's beyond not funny. Every series the Colts were selling out to stop the run and the Steelers continued to pound their head against the wall rather than try to adjust.

Thisoneguy555
09-26-2011, 01:59 AM
It's painfully obvious that even the guys that do make millions as a coach aren't seeing the light either dude. This run, run, pass is so unbelievably predictable that it's beyond not funny. Every series the Colts were selling out to stop the run and the Steelers continued to pound their head against the wall rather than try to adjust.

Doesn't help that when the Colts had 9 guys in the box, Ben didn't check down to a pass or something... Do something, fake the run and bootleg out of bounds, at least get 1 yard. When there is 9 guys in the box, any team trying to run against that would be lucky to gain a half a yard.

SteelCityVoice
09-26-2011, 02:08 AM
When Tomlin was asked at halftime what adjustments he would make, he said we'll stick with the gameplan! A gameplan that includes your QB getting killed, no running game, and can't move the ball without shooting yourself in the foot by turnovers.

To me it didn't look like we HAD an offensive gameplan.

steelersbabex25
09-26-2011, 02:09 AM
To me it didn't look like we HAD an offensive gameplan.

Oh we did. Unfortunately the only things it included were bubble screens and runs up the gut.

HUNT4SEVEN
09-26-2011, 02:19 AM
Untill we get rid of BA then this is what's gonna happen on offense, we are our own worse enemy we were in 3rd and long almost all night because of that run,run, pass BS. We can't afford to play like this against the Texans.

Nolrog
09-26-2011, 07:20 AM
When they did use the short passing game, it didn't do too much either. Far too much penetration by multiple defensive guys kept everything off balance.

75Steeler
09-26-2011, 09:44 AM
What is wrong with short passes to Miller? Arians needs to remove his head from his :moon: and start thinking outside of the box. No creativity points for that game last night.

coldrolled
09-26-2011, 09:46 AM
When they did use the short passing game, it didn't do too much either. Far too much penetration by multiple defensive guys kept everything off balance.

we need to execute short passes as the main play, not always as bens last gasping resort or check down. he needs to step back a fire the short pass instantly. his short passes are always a secondary thought..

BlitzburghRockCity
09-26-2011, 12:08 PM
If you use the short passing game correctly,it can slow down the pass rush just like the run game can. You have to be quick about. 3 step drops and get rid of the ball to a TE, RB or WR in the flat. The only short passing game this team knows how to do is that quick out to a WR which goes nowhere. By the time Ben takes his 3 step drop you can have guys open to get rid of it quickly. When they are blitzing that much, somebody in the passing game is going to be open.