PDA

View Full Version : Watching, waiting.....

DIESELMAN
01-15-2007, 12:21 AM
Lolley: Was this waiting game all part of the Steelers' plan?

http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/39/391667.jpg

With Ken Whisenhunt signing on the dotted line in Arizona Sunday, the Pittsburgh Steelers coaching situation got a little more clouded.

Or did it?

Maybe, just maybe, this is what Steelersí brass was waiting for.

The Steelers have been slow in their process of hiring a new coach to replace Bill Cowher, who resigned after 15 years with the team a week and a half ago. But thatís what everyone expected anyway.

Unlike other teams, who may make a knee-jerk reaction on a hiring, the Steelers arenít prone to those kind of decisions. When they hire a coach, they consider the long-term ramifications because they treat hiring a head coach much like a marriage. They donít have to last a lifetime, but there are going to be ups and downs that the team will go through because they arenít going to look for a divorce at the first sign of trouble.

When Cowher resigned, Whisenhunt was widely viewed as a front-runner, along with offensive line coach/assistant head coach Russ Grimm, to replace him. Until Sunday, nothing had changed that view.

But perhaps, and this is purely speculation at this point, the Steelers couldnít make a decision between Whisenhunt and Grimm. Maybe they liked both men equally.

Whisenhunt and Grimm were believed to be willing to keep the other man on staff if they were named head coach. It sounds good in theory. But in reality itís kind of like keeping your old girlfriend on speed dial after youíve put the ring on somebody elseís finger. There are bound to be some hard feelings.

Now, the Steelers donít have to worry about that.

With Whisenhunt now the head coach in Arizona, they donít have to worry about his feelings being hurt if Grimm were elevated ahead of him, just like they no longer have to worry about how Grimm would have responded had Whisenhunt been named head coach instead of him.

Perhaps the Steelers knew that they could live with either Whisenhunt or Grimm as their head coach but didnít think Whisenhunt and Grimm could co-exist on the same staff if one of them was passed over. And they didnít want to fire either one of them. So they just let things play out.

Weíll likely find out in a few days.

By Dale Lolley
For SteelCityInsider.com
Posted Jan 14, 2007

Maybe just maybe thats the way it'll play out. Kinda hopin anyways.....:helmet:

BlitzburghRockCity
01-15-2007, 12:25 AM
It's quite possible that is the case. The Steelers take care of their own when that person is dedicated to the organization for the long run. Grimm has been a solid contributor to our team for many years now and the players respect him too.

Even when we do hire somebody else, we'll never really fully know the whole story as to what happened and why.

House of Steel
01-15-2007, 12:26 AM
Interesting. Very interesting. This is something I've never even considered, I'll be damned.

Stairwayto7
01-15-2007, 08:52 AM
I`m still not solfd on Grimm! I say we are going fromn the outside. I hate it just because we have some great talent, but injuries and few other little things need taken care of.

I want youth as a HC. Cowher was young, Noll was young. Tomlin or Rivera!