PDA

View Full Version : Silent snap count is expected for Steelers

BlitzburghRockCity
09-22-2011, 08:01 AM
One of the keys for the Steelers on Sunday night will be neutralizing the pass rush of speedy Colts defensive ends Dwight Freeney and Robert Mathis.

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger said the Steelers expect to use a silent snap count because of the crowd noise at Lucas Oil Stadium. That will put added pressure on left tackle Jonathan Scott and right tackle Marcus Gilbert, who is set to make his second career start.

"When you have to use silent count, they can get off the ball and they're basically like linebackers that are big and strong," Roethlisberger said of Freeney and Mathis. "I've got faith in our tackles and our tight ends, whoever is on them. Those ends are going to win some (battles), but we're going to win some, too."

From the Trib (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_758094.html)

BlitzburghRockCity
09-22-2011, 08:53 AM
Talk about pressure on both Scott and Gilbert! If these 2 don't fly off the ball the split second it's snapped, they're going to get beat like a rag doll. He is right though, there will be times when the line does win, I'm anxious to see how many of those times our Tackles were able to win alone vs. having TE help.

I give props to Ben for having confidence in his line, although I'm pretty sure we're all thinking he's upping his life insurance policy this week.

steelchamp204
09-22-2011, 09:02 AM
I really doubt they will do this

cmerrifield
09-22-2011, 09:45 AM
I really doubt they will do this

You have never been to a Colts home game. They wont have a choice.

sent from my Evo using tapatalk

steelchamp204
09-22-2011, 09:58 AM

They'll wait till the playclock goes to 3 to snap it, that will be there silent count :tt02:, or maybe 2 seconds left. One or the other.

DBR96A
09-22-2011, 10:06 AM
From what I've heard, Colts fans are bailing and selling their tickets. I expect a larger-than-normal presence of Steeler fans there, which could neutralize the crowd noise somewhat.

steelersbabex25
09-22-2011, 02:37 PM

Have you been to a Colts game when they suck? I think someone already said it, all the Colts fans are saying that this game is gonna be more 50-50 cause all their fans are selling their tickets because they think it's going to be a blowout.

Black@Gold Forever32
09-22-2011, 02:42 PM
I was at the game in 2005 and it was a Monday Night game....The RCA Dome was crazy loud that night.....Plus there was close to 15,000 Steelers there for that game....With the Colts 0-2 start and Manning out until who knows when I'm expecting a Lucas Oil Field to be more quiet this time around.....I wouldn't be shocked if the crowd is indeed 50/50.....I know of four Steelers fans 4 sure going to the game.....lol

BlitzburghRockCity
09-22-2011, 07:36 PM
They'll come prepared to use it all game long and then if they can get the crowd out of it they can go back to a traditional count. I would suspect they'll have to use it atleast early in the game. Regardless of how bad the Colts are now, the crowd will get crazy until the game is out of hand.

Goodfrom55
09-22-2011, 07:42 PM
Not the 1st time the Steelers have been in a "hostile" environment. As long as they don't beat themselves with turnovers and failed scoring drives, they will be fine.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-23-2011, 11:21 AM
Even if the Colts suck, I am somewhat surprised that so many fans are apparently not showing up or selling their tickets to Steelers fans. I mean it's your team in primetime, even the atmosphere alone is worth being there either way.

Goodfrom55
09-23-2011, 01:26 PM
Even if the Colts suck, I am somewhat surprised that so many fans are apparently not showing up or selling their tickets to Steelers fans. I mean it's your team in primetime, even the atmosphere alone is worth being there either way.

It's surprising to us because as Steelers fans, we would never do that. That's why Steelers fans are the best in the NFL.

steelersbabex25
09-23-2011, 01:56 PM
Because Colts fans don't remember what it's like to suck. They've been pretty consistantly awesome since Peyton signed from what I can remember. We've had our share of below average seasons in the past 10 years.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-24-2011, 09:29 AM
I wonder if the Colts still pipe in that extra noise during games? Or, sorry I mean, "amplify" the noise :bonk: Domes are loud enough as it is without adding that kind of crap to the equation.

Rampage
09-24-2011, 12:16 PM
This is great practice for the guys on the line considering some of the other games this season. I know the Cardinals add noise. The last few games I've been to, they've played the most annoying music possible over the PA system as often as possible, oftentimes all the way until the opposing team hiked the ball. I've left concerts with my ears ringing less.