PDA

View Full Version : Pens 2011-2012 Season Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3

steelersbabex25
09-21-2011, 07:28 PM
Thought I'd start one since the start of preseason is today :woot:

Sidney Crosby still not cleared for contact obviously. But Fleury is looking sharp so far. Nice to see Malkin back on the ice also.

LatrobePA
09-22-2011, 09:01 AM
Good stuff: http://www.nhl.com/ice/recap.htm?id=2011010020

Scorp
09-22-2011, 10:26 AM
Isn't Crosby going to play in the preseason games? Thought i heard that somewhere. If you guys get NHLN Pens have a live preseason game i think next week.

steelersbabex25
09-22-2011, 02:38 PM
Malkin looked so so so so so good last night. He's gonna be unreal this year. You heard it here first..

steelersbabex25
09-22-2011, 09:42 PM
Another encouraging preseason game. Staal was awesome. Neal was awesome. Cooke was awesome. I missed this team without all the injuries.

Scorp
09-23-2011, 12:52 PM
This is going to be a pretty special season for our boys.

LatrobePA
09-23-2011, 01:23 PM
Isn't Crosby going to play in the preseason games? Thought i heard that somewhere. If you guys get NHLN Pens have a live preseason game i think next week.

He's still way up on the non-contact list!

I'm expecting big things from Neal this season..

steelersbabex25
09-23-2011, 02:00 PM
Yeah Crosby will be playing at the earliest about halfway through the season. If that.

LarryNJ
09-24-2011, 06:42 AM
I'm looking forward to the season. I agree with Babe Geno is going to take it to another level this year.

Hockey is a crazy sport. They have one day of training camp and start playing games every night. :)

I'm also looking forward to seeing Jagr play again.

steelersbabex25
09-24-2011, 08:23 AM
I'm also looking forward to seeing Jagr play again.

You are? I'm looking forward to beating his ***.

LarryNJ
09-24-2011, 09:30 AM
You are? I'm looking forward to beating his ***.

That too! :) I love nothing better than beating the Flyers.

The reason I'm excited is because he was a huge part of the Pens. My mother who was a huge Pens fan always loved him. So as I watch him it will remind me of being at the games with my mom. I go to several Flyers games every year when they aren't playing the Pens I root for them. Jags and superstar will give me a reason to cheer.

Rampage
09-24-2011, 12:31 PM
I am just crossing my fingers that the injuries don't come yet again. Last year was horrible. It would be like watching the Steelers without Roethlisberger and Polamalu on the field.

steelersbabex25
09-24-2011, 01:33 PM
That too! :) I love nothing better than beating the Flyers.

The reason I'm excited is because he was a huge part of the Pens. My mother who was a huge Pens fan always loved him. So as I watch him it will remind me of being at the games with my mom. I go to several Flyers games every year when they aren't playing the Pens I root for them. Jags and superstar will give me a reason to cheer.

Ugh. Can't stand Jagr now. Used to like him, but that was some annoying **** he pulled by signing with the Flyers. The only Flyers player I will be rooting for is Talbo.

Scorp
09-24-2011, 07:37 PM
Saturday, 09.24.2011 / 6:34 PM / Features By Sam Kasan
http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=589705&navid=DL|PIT|home

To say that the Penguins’ special teams play was the reason the club pulled out a 4-1 victory over the Minnesota Wild at CONSOL Energy Center Saturday afternoon in the “Free Game for Kids” is like saying Mario Lemieux is the great hockey player of all time.

Both are ridiculously obvious.

The Penguins’ power play scored four goals (three in one sequence of penalties), while their penalty killers successfully averted all nine disadvantages – including two five-on-three shorthanded series.

“We tried to establish a couple things. One of them is right off the faceoff being in a shooter’s mentality,” head coach Dan Bylsma said. “I think it was good to see our power play try to establish some things that an effective power play does and then get rewarded. We did those tonight.”

The dynamic of the game changed in the middle of the second period after Marco Scandella was given two two-minute penalties for instigating. The Penguins had already been on the power play, and the additional penalty gave them a 5-on-3.

Pittsburgh made the most of the opportunity. Eighteen-year-old defenseman Joseph Morrow, the Penguins’ first-round pick (23rd overall) in 2011, lit up a one-timer from the point that eluded goaltender Niklas Backstrom to give Pittsburgh a 1-0 lead.

It was his first goal scored at this high a level of competitive hockey.

“I mean, I’m expecting to wake up tomorrow morning and this will all be a dream for me, but I think I’m awake right now,” Morrow said. “I pinched myself a couple times, but I didn’t expect any of this. To have the opportunity the coaches give me on the power play and penalty kill, to have the amount of ice time I’ve been given, and to play with the players I’ve been playing with, it’s been phenomenal. It’s unbelievable.”

“We’ve heard about and talked about his shot, we saw that tonight,” Bylsma said. “We heard about his skating ability, and that’s been on display in the two games that he’s played. And the one thing the quality of the person and the confidence for an 18-year old kid has been exceptional. It’s kind of coming through as you see him playing games.

“He looks under control, he looks confident in his ability and we see the attributes that made him a high draft pick. He’s been outstanding. He’s been pretty calm and collected and confident under the fire of two exhibition games.”

The Penguins would add two more power-play goals over the next two-plus minutes with forward Pascal Dupuis and defenseman Brian Strait getting scores. Strait’s goal came at the end of a perfectly executed faceoff play.

“I think we were trying to run a one-timer and it just came straight back to me,” Strait said. “It was a great play by the centerman there. I just saw it and saw an open lane, fired on that and I don't think the goalie ever saw it. It was unbelievable. The guys have been doing a great job on that and it paid off on my goal.”

Malkin concluded the scoring with a power-play goal five minutes into the third period to give the Penguins a 4-0 lead.

But the Penguins’ PK unit, ranked No. 1 in the NHL last year with an 86.1-percent success rate, was just as marvelous as the power play. The group killed off all nine shorthanded situations, with two 5-on-3 disadvantages.

No play or player symbolized the penalty killers more than forward Joe Vitale in the second period.

With his team down two men, Vitale was a part of the three-man PK group. An errant puck was sliding toward the boards. A Wild player had leverage to reach it first, but Vitale dove forward, laying out his body and swatting the puck out of the zone with his outreached stick.

“You got to be strong on draws like that and be aggressive like we were there,” Vitale said. “To be aggressive right of the bat and right off the draws, and I think we did that. They kind of fumbled the puck here and there a little bit, so when you kind of put pressure on, you give yourself a chance to make plays like that.”

Combine all those special teams elements together and the result is a 4-1 triumph.

steelersbabex25
09-24-2011, 08:05 PM
Hope the power play goals from today is an indication of things to come. That's the one facet of their game that they desperately needed to improve.

Scorp
09-26-2011, 12:19 AM
PITTSBURGH -- Pittsburgh Penguins star Sidney Crosby participated in a controlled scrimmage on Sunday as he continues his comeback from concussion-like symptoms that have kept him off the ice since January.

Crosby took face-offs and worked on set plays alongside his teammates in his first five-on-five action since training camp opened last weekend.

The former MVP says he has been symptom-free throughout camp but continues to wear a white helmet during practice to indicate he still hasn't been cleared for contact.

"Everything's been really good," Crosby said. "I haven't ran into any issues so far so it's been pretty smooth."

Crosby has worked relentlessly during the first week of camp during drills, often to the point of exhaustion.

Crosby added he's been impressed with the Penguins, who are unbeaten in three preseason games. Center Evgeni Malkin, who missed the second half of last season with a knee injury, has two goals and three assists in two games.

When Malkin and Crosby will be on the ice at the same time remains uncertain. There still is no timetable for Crosby's return, though he considers Sunday's work another step in the recovery process.

"I think it's been a lot of fun just being out there and competing and doing typical things you're used to doing as a hockey player," he said.

The Penguins continue the preseason on Tuesday against Los Angeles in Kansas City.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/7019061/sidney-crosby-pittsburgh-penguins-plays-controlled-scrimmage

steelersbabex25
09-26-2011, 12:28 AM
"No return set." Those are the worst 3 words in the english language.

Scorp
09-26-2011, 01:02 PM
Posted: 09/26/2011 12:25 PM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/penguins/s_758699.html?source=rss&feed=8

By Chris Harlan, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Monday, September 26, 2011

Sidney Crosby participated in a controlled scrimmage Sunday and said afterward he was feeling good.

″I've come a long way,″ said Crosby, who also talked yesterday with Penguins season-ticket holders during a team-organized town hall meeting at Consol Energy Center. ″I enjoy being back with the guys.″

For Crosby, this was his first five-on-five action of training camp. However, he still avoided contact, and there remains no timetable for his game-ready return from the concussion symptoms that kept him off ice for months.

Crosby hasn't played in a game since Jan. 5, when he sustained a concussion against Tampa Bay.

After yesterday's practice, Crosby joined teammates Evgeni Malkin, Kris Letang, Jordan Staal and Marc-Andre Fleury for a question-and-answer event with fans. Also taking part were team CEO David Morehouse, general manager Ray Shero and coach Dan Bylsma.

There, Crosby was asked about his health.

″I feel good,″ he said. ″I look forward to getting out there, hopefully soon.″

During the lighthearted hour-long Q&A period hosted by broadcaster Steve Mears, there were submitted questions about offseason activities, locker-room antics and this year's hopes, among other topics such as favorite foods and music. The players were seated atop an on-ice platform and fans were in the lower seats of the arena.

One question asked about former teammate Max Talbot signing with the Flyers: ″Max was a good friend — key word there is 'was,' ″ Staal said with a laugh.

When Fleury was asked the hardest part about playing goalie, a fan shouted ″stopping the puck″ before Fleury had a chance to answer. So, Fleury agreed: ″Yeah, stopping the puck.″

When Malkin was asked to choose which team he disliked more, the Capitals or Flyers, he drew laughs when he admitted he couldn't pick.

Bylsma also drew a laugh when the subject turned to Jaromir Jagr: ″I can't wait for Dec. 29,″ Bylsma said of the date the Flyers travel to Pittsburgh. ″It's going to be interesting. I can't wait to see what you fans have in store for him.″

steelersbabex25
09-26-2011, 01:15 PM
When Fleury was asked the hardest part about playing goalie, a fan shouted ″stopping the puck″ before Fleury had a chance to answer. So, Fleury agreed: ″Yeah, stopping the puck.″

:lol: I'm laughing reading that. I could just picture Fleury saying something like that.

LatrobePA
09-26-2011, 04:23 PM
I'm excited for this season, I think it will be a special one!!

LarryNJ
09-26-2011, 09:12 PM
I'm excited for this season, I think it will be a special one!!

Let's hope the excitement last longer than what it did with the Steelers! :lol:

LatrobePA
09-26-2011, 09:15 PM
Let's hope the excitement last longer than what it did with the Steelers! :lol:

Ewwwww lol

LarryNJ
09-26-2011, 09:19 PM
I'm excited too I love hockey. It's totally different emotionally though. 1 loss in NFL is worse than a 5 game losing streak in NHL.

steelersbabex25
09-26-2011, 09:42 PM
I'm excited too I love hockey. It's totally different emotionally though. 1 loss in NFL is worse than a 5 game losing streak in NHL.

One of the reasons that I love hockey. It's very easy to be positive.

Rampage
09-27-2011, 12:22 PM
One of the reasons why I love hockey: You don't have to sit through two hours of commercials in each game.

Kiss my bunghole, Goodell.

steelersbabex25
09-27-2011, 04:33 PM
One of the reasons why I love hockey: You don't have to sit through two hours of commercials in each game.

Kiss my bunghole, Goodell.

SO TRUE! But sometimes I have to pee really bad...

Rampage
09-27-2011, 04:41 PM
SO TRUE! But sometimes I have to pee really bad...

This is true. Nothing like that late season OT game with no blown whistles. Irreparable kidney damage, here I come!

steelersbabex25
09-27-2011, 04:51 PM
This is true. Nothing like that late season OT game with no blown whistles. Irreparable kidney damage, here I come!

20 round shootouts.

Rampage
09-27-2011, 05:47 PM
20 round shootouts.

We need Crosby back in the lineup so I can go pee.

steelersbabex25
09-27-2011, 06:41 PM
We need Crosby back in the lineup so I can go pee.

Maybe you should write him a letter and say that. Only that. "We need you back so I can pee." He'd be like :wtf:

Rampage
09-27-2011, 06:45 PM
Maybe you should write him a letter and say that. Only that. "We need you back so I can pee." He'd be like :wtf:

I would do it. Tell him I've been holding it since the winter classic.

LarryNJ
09-27-2011, 07:55 PM
Usually i'm steaming the game so I simply take the laptop in with me.

steelersbabex25
09-27-2011, 08:15 PM
Usually i'm steaming the game so I simply take the laptop in with me.

This was definitely necessary to hear...:lol:

Speaking of streaming the game, does anyone have a feed for tonight?

Scorp
09-29-2011, 12:18 AM

:lol:....:lol:

LatrobePA
09-29-2011, 03:45 PM
Some news on Sid: http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=590390

LarryNJ
09-29-2011, 03:55 PM
That's really a shame he won't be playing on that trip. They seldom go to Western Canada and the fans there look forward to watching him play. I guess it's good news that he has been practicing regularly.

LatrobePA
09-29-2011, 04:14 PM
That's really a shame he won't be playing on that trip. They seldom go to Western Canada and the fans there look forward to watching him play. I guess it's good news that he has been practicing regularly.

Geno tweeted Sid did practice in a full contact fashion this AM...

He may be close!

Scorp
09-29-2011, 06:49 PM
Do you honestly think Sid will play in the opener? Or at least the first month of the season?

LarryNJ
09-29-2011, 07:46 PM
I don't think he will play in the opener for sure. Maybe the first month but i'm thinking more like Thanksgiving.

steelersbabex25
09-29-2011, 11:26 PM

He may be close!

Full contact? Wow. That's a lot closer than I expected. I wonder just how "full" the contact is though when it's your own teammates.

Scorp
09-30-2011, 10:52 AM
Pens/Blackhawks today.

--- Added 9/30/2011 at 09:52 AM ---

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/penguins/s_759492.html?source=rss&feed=8
Posted: 09/30/2011 3:00 AM

By Rob Rossi, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Friday, September 30, 2011

The sky is no limit for Sidney Crosby next week.

″We'll be starting with everybody going on the trip that's part of our group with us at that time unless their rehab needs to be at a (different) facility,″ coach Dan Bylsma said Thursday after a practice at Consol Energy Center. ″I anticipate that will be the case with Sid.″

Crosby is not cleared for contact let alone to play in regular-season games at Vancouver, Calgary and Edmonton next week. But he also won't be traveling with the Penguins charter Tuesday for mere moral support.

The Penguins are scheduled to practice twice and hold three game-day morning skates on their six-day trek that includes the season-opener at Vancouver on Thursday. Crosby would like to maintain a groove that has him feeling better than at any time since being diagnosed with a concussion Jan. 6.

″It's more just staying in shape, timing and stuff like that,″ Crosby said. ″I'd like to keep that going. I'd love to keep that as consistent as possible. We'll see how things go, but the more I can do that, the better it'll be as far as adjusting.″

If training camp has proven anything, it is that Crosby is adjusting to a return to normalcy since sustaining his concussion.

He has successfully navigated his camp scheduled without an absence. A more encouraging sign is that he has not experienced headaches, fogginess or nausea.

He remains cleared by his medical team for only noncontact drills. However, during on-ice sessions — including one yesterday — he has not avoided traffic areas and occasionally has engaged in the usual bumps that accompany retrieving pucks and winning faceoffs.

These are all signs of a player nearing a return to full action, Penguins left wing Chris Kunitz said, speaking from his own experiences coming back from lengthy injury absences.

″If you're already practicing with the team before you leave (for a long road trip), you're close to game action,″ Kunitz said.

Crosby skated yesterday with Matt Cooke and Pascal Dupuis as his wingers.

Aside from wearing a white helmet indicating noncontact status and sounding slightly winded after practice, Crosby has looked like his old self on the ice. His strides are purposeful. His voice booms when speaking with teammates. His famous competitive spirit flashes after a pass doesn't directly land on another stick blade.

The Penguins have not said whether Crosby could play on the trip. Bylsma said yesterday he had ″no idea″ about a timetable for Crosby to play after he is cleared for contact. Nobody within the organization has suggested a clearance date.

Still, there is a general sense of optimism inside the Penguins' dressing room regarding Crosby's progress, and Kunitz said sticking with a routine is ″vital″ for a player trying to return.

″Obviously, I'd love to go, but it's something I'll talk to Dan (about) and everyone involved to make sure that whatever it is I end up doing, that's best for everyone,″ Crosby said. ″That's a discussion we'll have here pretty soon, but I enjoy being around the team and would like to be there.″

Prosdo
09-30-2011, 02:06 PM

He may be close!

Geno was joking unfortunately.

Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk.

LatrobePA
09-30-2011, 03:36 PM

That dick..lol

Rampage
09-30-2011, 04:06 PM

He ain't no Yakov Smirnov.

LarryNJ
09-30-2011, 04:20 PM
That dick..lol

He was less of a dick when he couldn't speak English! :lol:

steelersbabex25
09-30-2011, 08:39 PM
Pens vs. Blackhawks on NHLN.

Rampage
10-01-2011, 12:22 PM
That was a decent game. Vitale and Sullivan impressed me; both seem to have that, for lack of a better word, annoying style of play for opposing defenses and goalies.

steelersbabex25
10-01-2011, 01:14 PM
Johnson was impressive last night too.

Rampage
10-01-2011, 01:35 PM
Johnson looked very good. The Penguins are fortunate to have such a good backup to Fleury. Whenever Johnson goes into a game, I am actually very confident.

steelersbabex25
10-01-2011, 01:40 PM
Johnson looked very good. The Penguins are fortunate to have such a good backup to Fleury. Whenever Johnson goes into a game, I am actually very confident.

Almost as confident as I am with Fleury. I feel like he could definitely compete for a starting spot somewhere else. Glad he's staying with us though..

Rampage
10-01-2011, 02:45 PM
Almost as confident as I am with Fleury. I feel like he could definitely compete for a starting spot somewhere else. Glad he's staying with us though..

What I like is that they seem to be different enough to give the team some diversity. If one is having an off night, the other is usually enough of a change to turn things around. Assuming there isn't some four goal deficit by then. :lol:

Scorp
10-03-2011, 10:51 AM
The Penguins Captain Remains Status Quo
Saturday, 10.01.2011 / 5:13 PM /
Features By Michelle Crechiolo
http://penguins.nhl.com/

Although Penguins captain Sidney Crosby is doing well in his recovery from a concussion suffered in early January, he does not anticipate being ready to play in the season opener at Vancouver on Oct. 6.

“I wouldn’t expect it, no,” he said when asked if there’s a realistic chance he would play in the game. “I don’t think so.”

Although Crosby does not expect to be ready for the Penguins’ first regular-season game of the 2011-12 campaign, he remains status quo in his recovery.

He continues to practice with his teammates and take part in drills and controlled scrimmages, but still has not been cleared for contact – continuing to wear an alternate-colored helmet at practices.

Head coach Dan Bylsma reiterated that Crosby’s involvement in those skates is positive news in itself.

“I think him being on the ice every day and him participating in training camp (is optimistic),” Bylsma said. “To me that’s different then a practice at the end of the year or a morning skate. It’s fatigue for everybody. It’s hard for everybody. It’s conditioning for everybody. So in terms of part of him and his rehab, I think it’s positive and I think that’s right – we play next Thursday and it’s a few short days away. So we haven’t progressed to the next level yet, so it’s safe to say (Crosby will not play vs. Vancouver).”

Crosby is unsure of when he’ll move to the next level in his rehab – and just wants to continue to take it day by day.

“We’re getting back from our trip here and then we’re going to be going (out West), so when we get back from that trip maybe I’ll go see the doctor then,” he said. “For me, every day I just try to go as hard as I can and hope that things keep going like they’re going. It’s been really good so far.”

steelersbabex25
10-03-2011, 12:11 PM
Can't wait for the season opener....

Rampage
10-03-2011, 01:39 PM
I'm very excited as well. I want to see how Neal performs after an entire off season to work with the team. I have high hopes for this crew in the 2011-2012 campaign.

steelersbabex25
10-03-2011, 01:44 PM
I'm very excited as well. I want to see how Neal performs after an entire off season to work with the team. I have high hopes for this crew in the 2011-2012 campaign.

Neal is gonna be awesome. Pens are gonna be one of the best teams in the league, even without Crosby. Mark it down.

Rampage
10-03-2011, 01:49 PM
Neal is gonna be awesome. Pens are gonna be one of the best teams in the league, even without Crosby. Mark it down.

I hope so. If the defense can perform as well as it did last season and the offense shows up, they could be a heck of a team. Hopefully Crosby will be 100% sooner rather than later; he could put them over-the-top.

steelersbabex25
10-03-2011, 02:00 PM
I hope so. If the defense can perform as well as it did last season and the offense shows up, they could be a heck of a team. Hopefully Crosby will be 100% sooner rather than later; he could put them over-the-top.

With Crosby back in the lineup, we could have one of the most well rounded teams that this league has seen in years. Even without him though, we're gonna be unreal, as long as the rest of the players stay healthy. Malkin is going to have a monster year also.

Rampage
10-03-2011, 02:19 PM
With Crosby back in the lineup, we could have one of the most well rounded teams that this league has seen in years. Even without him though, we're gonna be unreal, as long as the rest of the players stay healthy. Malkin is going to have a monster year also.

I pray for Malkin's knee. :lol:

LatrobePA
10-03-2011, 02:39 PM
Sick!!

We have rookies performing at a very high level too, should be a fun season!

Scorp
10-05-2011, 07:45 PM
Guess Crosby's return for 500,000 dollars in sa gold. I say he comes back against the capitals. Gotta see Sid take it to Ovi.

steelersbabex25
10-05-2011, 08:30 PM
My best guess is he won't be back until Jan.

steelchamp204
10-06-2011, 09:00 AM
Tongihts the game!!!

steelersbabex25
10-06-2011, 01:46 PM
:woot: Tonight's the night. 10:00 on NHLN. Soo pumped to see how the Pens look with all their starters.

--- Added 10/6/2011 at 12:46 PM ---

As the dawn of the 2011-12 NHL season approaches, no storyline has garnered more attention than the health of former Hart Trophy winner Sidney Crosby. While concern from Pittsburgh fans certainly is understandable, if the folks at EA SPORTS have anything to say about it, the Steel City has little reason to worry.

EA released its full simulation of the 2011-12 season Wednesday, and not only does Crosby return to the ice to put up impressive numbers, he winds up lifting a pretty big piece of silver over his head this June -- and a Conn Smythe Trophy to go with it, as the Penguins are projected to win their fourth Stanley Cup, in a six-game Final against the Chicago Blackhawks.

The simulation was performed using the EA SPORTS' NHL 12 simulation engine.

In reality, Crosby's return to the ice remains uncertain, as concussion issues have sidelined him since Jan. 5. That fact wasn't lost on EA, as according to the full results of their simulation, Crosby only will play 65 games this season, a total that has him returning to the ice in early December, possibly for the Pens' matchup with the defending-champion Bruins on Dec. 5. However, once Crosby returns, he gets back in a big way. In those 65 games, Crosby racks up an astonishing 30 goals and 62 assists, a total that ends up leading Pittsburgh in points and putting him seventh in the League scoring race.

Winning the scoring title is Capitals forward Alex Ovechkin, who compiles 51 goals and 59 assists to hold off Tampa Bay's Martin St. Louis. Coming in third in the race is St. Louis' teammate Steven Stamkos, whose 53 goals net him his second Rocket Richard Trophy in three seasons.

In addition to winning another Art Ross Trophy, Ovechkin leads his Caps to the top seed in the East, edging Pittsburgh with 102 points to the Pens' 100. Buffalo and 40-win goaltender Ryan Miller take the third seed as Northeast Division champions, while Boston, Philadelphia, Tampa Bay, the Rangers and Toronto, making its first playoff appearance in eight years, round out the East's top eight. Just missing out on the postseason is Montreal, which finishes ninth due to a tiebreaker, while the New Jersey Devils also miss the playoffs despite having two players, Zach Parise and Ilya Kovalchuk, in the top 20 in scoring.

Out West, the kings of the regular season once again are the Vancouver Canucks, who run away with their second consecutive Presidents' Trophy on the strength of a 114-point season. San Jose takes the No. 2 seed as Pacific Division champions and the Blackhawks eke out the Central title in a tiebreaker with fourth-seeded Detroit. Los Angeles, Nashville, Anaheim and rebuilt Minnesota also make the West playoff field.

The West playoffs have few surprises in the first round, though the Kings do manage a six-game upset of the Red Wings. Los Angeles proves feisty in pushing the Canucks to a seventh game in the conference semifinals before bowing out, while Chicago takes out the Sharks in six, setting the stage for Vancouver and Chicago to meet in the postseason for the fourth consecutive year. The Canucks gave their fans a scene to remember this past April as Alexandre Burrows exorcised Vancouver's demons against the Hawks with an overtime-winner in Game 7 of the conference quarterfinals, but EA sees no such sequel in their simulated conference final. In a seven-game thriller, it's Chicago winning the Campbell Conference Bowl for the second time in three seasons.

The East bracket doesn't have any stunners quite on the order of Chicago toppling the Presidents' Trophy winners, but it does feature Tampa Bay making yet another strong run. After upending the Sabres in the first round, Tampa completes one of the bigger surprises of the postseason by upsetting top-seeded Washington for the second straight spring. Their dream comes to an end in Game 7 of the East Finals again, however. The Penguins, who sweep the Rangers and outlast Philadelphia in seven games, edge the Lightning for the Prince of Wales Trophy and return to the Stanley Cup Final.

It is there that two of the best teams over the League's recent seasons square off for the ultimate prize, and with a fully healthy Crosby, Pittsburgh deafens the Madhouse on Madison in Game 6, winning its second championship in four seasons.

Of course, with nine months to go before the real Cup is awarded, we have no way to know just how accurate EA's NHL 12 simulation engine is going to be. But if the season presents the same kind of competitive races, surprising upsets and storybook finish EA projects, hockey fans should be in for an exciting season. And it just might leave the fans in western Pennsylvania smiling next June.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=594518

Scorp
10-06-2011, 07:05 PM
I say they score at least 4 tonight.

Rampage
10-06-2011, 07:25 PM
I say they score at least 4 tonight.

I just hope they score more than their opponent.

:banana:

steelersbabex25
10-06-2011, 10:15 PM
:woot: finally gametime. Let's go!!

LarryNJ
10-06-2011, 10:29 PM
100% on the pp :)

steelersbabex25
10-07-2011, 12:13 AM
Power play looks awesome right now. Keep it up boys!!

--- Added 10/6/2011 at 11:13 PM ---

Come on boys. Make it through this period.

Scorp
10-07-2011, 12:56 AM
Win it boys. C'mon.

--- Added 10/6/2011 at 11:55 PM ---

Way to go Malkin.

--- Added 10/6/2011 at 11:56 PM ---

1-0. Great job. :clap:

steelersbabex25
10-07-2011, 01:00 AM
:woot: What an opening game! Beauties by Geno and Tanger in the shootout.

LarryNJ
10-07-2011, 11:21 AM
:woot: What an opening game! Beauties by Geno and Tanger in the shootout.

I fell aspleep... :(

Tanger is great in the shootout...but what's up with Geno in a shootout? I wonder if that's going to be a regular thing now. Did he slap shot it? :)

Scorp
10-07-2011, 12:40 PM
I fell aspleep... :(

Tanger is great in the shootout...but what's up with Geno in a shootout? I wonder if that's going to be a regular thing now. Did he slap shot it? :)

Geno made the golie fall on her beer belly and put the puck in. Nice move Geno.

Rampage
10-07-2011, 01:25 PM
I wasn't happy about the blown lead, but a win is a win.

Anyone else excited by both Neal and Sullivan? Both of these guys looked very comfortable on the ice and Sullivan was making some nice passes out there.

steelersbabex25
10-07-2011, 02:36 PM
I wasn't happy about the blown lead, but a win is a win.

Anyone else excited by both Neal and Sullivan? Both of these guys looked very comfortable on the ice and Sullivan was making some nice passes out there.

I wouldn't say it was a blown lead. Not like they gave up 4 goals in the 3rd period.

LatrobePA
10-07-2011, 03:11 PM
Geno had a so so game I thought, he looked nervous as he stated..

All in all I thought the team played fast and looked pretty sharp.. Flower letting that sissy shot in was upsetting!

steelersbabex25
10-07-2011, 03:46 PM
Geno had a so so game I thought, he looked nervous as he stated..

All in all I thought the team played fast and looked pretty sharp.. Flower letting that sissy shot in was upsetting!

You can't be mad at Flower. He had an awesome game.

LatrobePA
10-07-2011, 09:47 PM
You can't be mad at Flower. He had an awesome game.

I was meaning that was the only thing the whole game that upset me, I guess I didn't type it right..

Cookie was $$$, goofy bastard lol!!

Scorp
10-08-2011, 11:31 AM
Posted: 10/08/2011 1:40 AM
http://m.triblive.com/triblive/db_/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=mtaM6kT6&full=true#display

By Josh Yohe, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Saturday, October 8, 2011

CALGARY, Alberta -- Sidney Crosby and Jarome Iginla rarely see each other because their teams meet just once a season� separated by more than 2,000 miles.

They share a connection, though, that doesn't require much interaction.

The Calgary Flames' captain set up Crosby's ″golden goal″ for Team Canada at the 2010 Olympics in Vancouver, and from that point on, two of the game's giants understood each other on a unique level.

″I don't see him very often and haven't talked with him much since the Olympics,″ Iginla said Friday. ″But that bond is always there.″

Iginla, one of hockey's most popular people and a cinch to make the Hockey Hall of Fame, said he valued his time with Crosby during the Olympics. Crosby said he feels the same way.

″To have a chance to play with him and to be together on that goal,″ Crosby said, ″was pretty special.″

During the two-week tournament, Iginla and Crosby realized they weren't only terrific linemates but also friends. Both quiet leaders, they became allies in a locker room filled with star players and dominant personalities.

″I was happy to have a chance to play with him, and obviously he's a great player,″ Iginla said. ″But, you know, I also found that we got along really well. I like him. He handles everything in his life so well. It was nice to get to know him a little bit.″

Crosby's goal is one of the most significant moments in Canadian sports history. T-shirts can be purchased here that simply read ″Iggy″ -- what Crosby yelled before Iginla made the pass that set up his winner, beating U.S. goalie Ryan Miller.

″You share that moment with everyone,″ Crosby said. ″It's special. You always like to catch up with guys when you get a chance. It will be nice (to see Iginla).″

Crosby's Western Canada tour rolled on yesterday, arriving in Calgary after a visit to Vancouver on Thursday and a trek to Edmonton coming Sunday. Although he hasn't been cleared for contact, Crosby's appearance in this part of the country remains major news. And his friend in the adjacent locker room has been monitoring his health, just like everyone else has.

″It's hard to see,″ Iginla said. ″I know how good he is for hockey.″

Iginla is a legend in Calgary, but he realizes Flames fans won't get to see him for two more seasons.

″Even though he lit us up last year,″ he said, ″I know our fans want to see him play. I hope he's back soon. But at the same time, I want him back when he's 100 percent. He's still so young. He's got many, many great years ahead of him.″

Crosby appreciated the kind words and intends on catching up with Iginla before tonight's game.

″It's a compliment,″ he said. ″It means a lot coming from him.″

steelersbabex25
10-08-2011, 10:42 PM
Does anyone have a good feed? Mine is sucking.

Scorp
10-09-2011, 12:50 AM
Pens score at least one or twice before they win it.

--- Added 10/8/2011 at 11:50 PM ---

c'mon guys the game is almost over.

steelersbabex25
10-09-2011, 12:52 AM
Damn it Pens. Can you not just close out a game?

Scorp
10-09-2011, 12:56 AM
38.2 left. Don't make me start pulling out my hair.

steelersbabex25
10-09-2011, 12:59 AM
:thud: Always making me nervous at the end. All in all, an okay game I would say. Some good goals from unlikely people.

Scorp
10-09-2011, 01:00 AM
Things are still falling into place. When Sid comes back, it's all over.
Goodnight people. Game over. Oilers, here we come.

steelersbabex25
10-09-2011, 01:05 AM
So optimistic for Sid's return now. Rumor is that he could be lifted off the no-contact list on Monday. After that it's 2 or 3 weeks until he's back. Things are really looking up since the offseason.

Stairwayto7
10-09-2011, 10:24 AM
Steelersbabex25 help me get through the game last night since her stream was light years ahead of mine

Prosdo
10-09-2011, 01:36 PM
Pens are looking great. Not happy about 2 games in a row with letting opponents back into the game. Powerplay is looking great too. Wait til Sid is back.

steelersbabex25
10-09-2011, 04:19 PM
Pens are looking great. Not happy about 2 games in a row with letting opponents back into the game. Powerplay is looking great too. Wait til Sid is back.

I can't wait :drool:

steelersbabex25
10-09-2011, 09:18 PM
Malkin out tonight. Said he got hit in the ankle by the puck..seems to be news to a lot of people. I didn't know until they announced that at the start of the game.

LarryNJ
10-09-2011, 09:20 PM
Another PP goal...it's amazing.

steelersbabex25
10-09-2011, 09:25 PM
Any word on why Fleury is out? Nothing on an injury so I'd imagine it's just to give him a rest, but really? He needs a rest after 2 games?

LarryNJ
10-09-2011, 09:30 PM
Back to back games...west coast trip...it's just a rest..plus you need to get some playing time for j

steelersbabex25
10-09-2011, 11:55 PM
Back to back games...west coast trip...it's just a rest

That's what I figured, I'd think he'd be able to go one more game and then give him a rest for the Panthers game. It probably comes down to them wanting him to play in the home opener.

--- Added 10/9/2011 at 09:45 PM ---

Come on Pens. This isn't an allstar team here. Put in some more goals.

--- Added 10/9/2011 at 10:55 PM ---

Well, we know what Brett Johnson's weakness is now. He did keep this team in the game though. Putrid performance on the PP, something that isn't foreign to us as a fanbase. What was it? 1/8? Guess that's to be expected when when of your best players on the power play is out. I'll take the point though. 5 points in 3 straight away games ain't too shabby. Finally headed home for the home opener on Tuesday.

Scorp
10-10-2011, 12:19 AM
Damn goalie. Oh well, it's water under the bridge. Bring on the panthers.

Rampage
10-10-2011, 12:33 PM
Five points in three games on such a long trip. I'd say that's a solid showing, especially considering that Malkin was out.

Have to give props to Johnson, the dude flat out played. Not the best to have in the shootout, but he does so well throughout a game. Just need some offense.

Also, you guys should make sure to check whether or not you are getting the free preview of Center Ice right now. I have Cox cable and I am getting to catch these games for free; I believe you get the first two weeks of the season.

steelersbabex25
10-10-2011, 12:35 PM
Also, you guys should make sure to check whether or not you are getting the free preview of Center Ice right now. I have Cox cable and I am getting to catch these games for free; I believe you get the first two weeks of the season.

That's awesome. I don't think I really need it though. The last 2 games I've found some crystal clear feeds.

LatrobePA
10-10-2011, 04:14 PM
Monday night football, Tuesday night hockey what's not to love!!

LarryNJ
10-10-2011, 04:33 PM
I fell asleep last night, the last thing I remember it was 1-1 with 4 minutes left and we just got a 5 minute major PP. It was nice to have the #1 PP for a couple days. Now back to normal! :(

steelersbabex25
10-10-2011, 04:40 PM
I fell asleep last night, the last thing I remember it was 1-1 with 4 minutes left and we just got a 5 minute major PP. It was nice to have the #1 PP for a couple days. Now back to normal! :(

Same old story for the Pens last night. Awesome PK, awful PP.

Rampage
10-10-2011, 04:46 PM
I'm not too concerned about the power play faltering last night. Just as they were getting some continuity with Malkin, Neal and Sullivan, Malkin gets hurt. Once he gets back, I'm sure it will improve again. Once Crosby gets back, it could be godly.

Hey, anyone else hate the injury reporting in hockey? Malkin has a lower-body injury. Okay. Can we know if it's his foot, ankle, knee, hamstring, hip, groin, whatever? This has always bugged the hell out of me.

steelersbabex25
10-10-2011, 04:52 PM
Hey, anyone else hate the injury reporting in hockey? Malkin has a lower-body injury. Okay. Can we know if it's his foot, ankle, knee, hamstring, hip, groin, whatever? This has always bugged the hell out of me.

Announcers said what it was last night. He got a puck shot at his ankle.

LatrobePA
10-10-2011, 10:02 PM
Great! Is it bruised, shattered??? Come on man!!

steelersbabex25
10-10-2011, 11:26 PM
Great! Is it bruised, shattered??? Come on man!!

"He's just sore," Bylsma said. "Bumps and bruises. A lot of hockey."

He'll be back tomorrow. That's all we need to know.

--- Added 10/10/2011 at 10:26 PM ---

Capitals won tonight, but their goalie situation over there is not exactly ideal. Neither Vokoun or Neuvirth have looked promising at all so far. I think we have a chance to put up a lot of goals against them on Thursday.

steelersbabex25
10-11-2011, 12:27 PM
He'll be back tomorrow. That's all we need to know.

Maybe not...

Evgeni Malkin will likely miss his second consecutive game with a lower-body injury, but coach Dan Bylsma doesn't expect the ailment to be a long-term issue.

The Pittsburgh Penguins were without their star in a shootout loss to the Edmonton Oilers on Sunday, and that will be the case for Tuesday night's home opener against the Florida Panthers (7:30 p.m., Versus).

Malkin was injured Saturday night in a game against the Calgary Flames. He had surgery in February after tearing ligaments in his right knee, but the team said his current injury is unrelated.

I thought he would for sure be back tonight.

Stairwayto7
10-11-2011, 08:04 PM
No Malkin
No Crosby
No Orpik

Wow home opener!

--- Added 10/11/2011 at 07:04 PM ---

Who makes the NHL schedule anyway, how is it our 4th game and there 2nd!

Prosdo
10-11-2011, 08:52 PM
2-0 I'm liking it.

LarryNJ
10-11-2011, 08:55 PM
Great save by Flower, and the second goal was sweet :) but we shouldn't have let them score so soon. :(

Tanger leads the league in points. :)

steelersbabex25
10-11-2011, 09:00 PM
Pens are 15/13 on the PK.. :OA02:

Stairwayto7
10-11-2011, 09:05 PM
3-1 US

Scorp
10-11-2011, 09:29 PM
Imagine if they played like this all season long.

steelersbabex25
10-11-2011, 09:32 PM
And here comes the 3rd period collapse.

Scorp
10-11-2011, 09:59 PM
Got a good feeling they're going to score.

--- Added 10/11/2011 at 08:37 PM ---

What did i tell you. So much for that collapse.

--- Added 10/11/2011 at 08:59 PM ---

Nice win boys. Way to get the puck in there. Bring on the Caps and Ovi.

Stairwayto7
10-12-2011, 04:50 AM
It seemed like we played around thier nety all night. Can`t wait til we have everyone.

Rampage
10-12-2011, 11:26 AM
A lot of guys are stepping up right now. I'm very happy to see Neal scoring right now; we need him to get hot.

LatrobePA
10-12-2011, 04:35 PM
Flower made a couple sick saves, the one is quoted as the save of the year!

steelersbabex25
10-12-2011, 05:15 PM
Flower made a couple sick saves, the one is quoted as the save of the year!

Save of the year? What.. through 4 games?

Stairwayto7
10-12-2011, 05:43 PM
Marc Andre Fleurry 3-0 so far

NOVA STEELERS
10-12-2011, 11:55 PM
LETS GO RANGERS !!!!! :woot:

:hide:

steelersbabex25
10-13-2011, 12:14 AM
LETS GO RANGERS !!!!! :woot:

:hide:

Go away.

LatrobePA
10-13-2011, 08:36 AM
Save of the year? What.. through 4 games?

That's what I thought..

LarryNJ
10-13-2011, 08:43 AM
The Rangers? Haha.. Actually they should be better this year for sure. The Flyers to my surprise look very good. they now have a goalie and are playing a much faster style, very similar to the Pens.

Did you see where tonights game they are raising money for the families of the Russian team that died in the crash? Geno and Ovie will have a ceremonial face off.

LatrobePA
10-13-2011, 08:55 AM
The Rangers? Haha.. Actually they should be better this year for sure. The Flyers to my surprise look very good. they now have a goalie and are playing a much faster style, very similar to the Pens.

Did you see where tonights game they are raising money for the families of the Russian team that died in the crash? Geno and Ovie will have a ceremonial face off.

Very cool, good stuff...

steelersbabex25
10-13-2011, 10:11 AM

I did see that. I also saw that they're selling bracelets. For $50...I thought that was a little overpriced. Good cause and all, but I don't have money to burn on a $50 bracelet.

Also, Chris Kunitz just signed a 2 year contract extension.

Prosdo
10-13-2011, 02:10 PM
Crosby cleared for practice contact WOOOHOOOO

steelersbabex25
10-13-2011, 08:29 PM
Am I the only person getting Devils and Kings instead of Pens and Caps on NHLN? WTF?!?!?!

--- Added 10/13/2011 at 06:25 PM ---

Nevermind, found it on Comcast Sports Net. Annoying that they said it would be on NHLN and it isn't though..

--- Added 10/13/2011 at 07:29 PM ---

Kunitz just sucks tonight.

LarryNJ
10-13-2011, 09:42 PM
$50 for a bracket is insane. I would like ro support them nt buying a cap or something but that is nuts.

Tough loss, but good job tieing it up. And Ashams fight was awesome, knock his *** out.

Black@Gold Forever32
10-13-2011, 09:43 PM
So glad Sid was cleared for contact.....Just beat them damn Caps....

steelersbabex25
10-13-2011, 09:46 PM
Not too worried about this. Without our starting goalie, the best player in the league, and one of our best defensemen. Caps still suck.

Black@Gold Forever32
10-13-2011, 09:49 PM
I hate the Caps....Alex O can suck it...lol

steelersbabex25
10-13-2011, 11:49 PM
Caps fans are already coming at me with the Pens suck stuff :rolleyes: I'm sorry, but if you honestly think the Pens suck, then I don't need to be discussing hockey with you.

STEELyourface
10-14-2011, 12:21 AM
I did see that. I also saw that they're selling bracelets. For $50...I thought that was a little overpriced. Good cause and all, but I don't have money to burn on a $50 bracelet.

Also, Chris Kunitz just signed a 2 year contract extension.

Um, yeah! Raise as much money as possible, but $50 for a bracelet like that is VERY expensive. I would think the logic for something like this would be to have many people buy something less expensive as opposed to having a few people buy something relatively expensive.

I would suggest that they possibly have a few bracelet options at different price levels. I'm sure the people that have the money to spare would still opt to buy the more expensive one.

Also, I saw your post about not getting the Pens game on NHLN and if you have DirecTV they are giving away a free trial of NHL Center Ice for the entire month of October, which is pretty sweet, I think.

steelersbabex25
10-14-2011, 07:30 AM
Um, yeah! Raise as much money as possible, but $50 for a bracelet like that is VERY expensive. I would think the logic for something like this would be to have many people buy something less expensive as opposed to having a few people buy something relatively expensive.

I would suggest that they possibly have a few bracelet options at different price levels. I'm sure the people that have the money to spare would still opt to buy the more expensive one.

Also, I saw your post about not getting the Pens game on NHLN and if you have DirecTV they are giving away a free trial of NHL Center Ice for the entire month of October, which is pretty sweet, I think.

They're also selling the silacone bracelets for $10, which is also wayyy too expensive for that kind of bracelet. Those should be sold for $5 max. And they're charging $5 for shipping. :wtf: I don't think it costs $5 to ship a bracelet..

LatrobePA
10-14-2011, 11:07 AM
I hate the caps, 8 in a row against us...

Rampage
10-14-2011, 03:27 PM
Neal is looking pretty damn good this year. :dunno:

LatrobePA
10-14-2011, 03:53 PM
Neal is looking pretty damn good this year. :dunno:

Hell yea, he's been a force!

steelersbabex25
10-14-2011, 08:07 PM
Well, I know what my new background is going to be......

http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/6223/fightvideoarronashamblo.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/338/fightvideoarronashamblo.jpg/)

LatrobePA
10-14-2011, 08:18 PM
He looks like a mini Mario! His TKO was sweeeeet!

"you got knocked the f**k out"

STEELyourface
10-15-2011, 12:55 AM
My thing about everyone getting all bent out of shape about that is...........

If you are going to allow fighting to be a part of the culture of hockey the way it has become in the past 40-50 years and also glorify it the way it has been then you really can't get all bent out of shape when a player does that after the fight.

I know he acknowledged that it was inappropriate, but I don't think it was honestly. The NHL has allowed it to become glorified and they have capitalized on that glorification so no one should really complain because those gestures fit right along with that whole theme. Plus, it was funny as hell!!

Also how can Ovi or anyone get bent out of shape about him beating that dude down? I know the dude isn't a "fighter" but he took part in it and he threw punches too. If you can't handle it then don't step up like that, you deserve what you get at that point in my opinion. It takes two to tango, right?

steelersbabex25
10-15-2011, 01:02 AM
Also how can Ovi or anyone get bent out of shape about him beating that dude down? I know the dude isn't a "fighter" but he took part in it and he threw punches too. If you can't handle it then don't step up like that, you deserve what you get at that point in my opinion. It takes two to tango, right?

Not only did he take part of it, but he INITIATED it. The game on here had Caps announcers, obviously, and there were all saying, "we love Beagle, but it was stupid for him to go after one of the biggest fighters on the Penguins."

STEELyourface
10-15-2011, 01:04 AM
They're also selling the silacone bracelets for $10, which is also wayyy too expensive for that kind of bracelet. Those should be sold for $5 max. And they're charging $5 for shipping. :wtf: I don't think it costs $5 to ship a bracelet..

What is a silacone bracelet? Like the yellow Lance Armstrong ones? If so I'd pay that for one considering what the proceeds are going to, but only if I could buy it on the spot. I wouldn't be willing to pay another $5 on top for shipping and have to wait for it to show up especially considering I wouldn't/don't even want the thing to begin with.

When I've donated to charities like that or foundations to benefit victims or whatever I've never really cared about getting something in return. I just do it because I want to.

Here is an idea. They are selling those bracelets and stuff at hockey games right? They should put messages (on the big screens or whatever) at arenas throughout the league that say text HELP (or whatever) to 5555555 (whatever number) to donate $10 to the families of the victims and the money will be added to your cell phone bill. I would do that and I think a lot of people would because they want to help and they don't even have to fork over the money immediately so people would be even more likely to do it.

That is what they did for the victims of the earthquake in Haitti. I did that. It was easy, I felt good, and I'm not sure I even noticed the increase in my phone bill that month!

Just an idea, obviously not an originial one, but I think it would work and in the end that is the goal, right?

Scorp
10-15-2011, 08:06 AM
late response here. congrats to kunitz and his 2yd. asham, great ko. i bet beagle was still seeing stars in his sleep. asham's gestures were hilarious. just ask ovechkin. johnson & johnson i'm upset that you let the puck get in like that. from what i saw, you like you didn't want to be the hero. oh well. who's next?

steelersbabex25
10-15-2011, 08:12 AM
I bought a Lokomotiv shirt. That's my way of showing support. I don't need to buy a $50 bracelet. I mean not to mention, it's not like we're donating money to the homeless here. These people are getting plenty of help whether I buy anything or not.

I don't want to make it seem like I'm undermining anything that the players are trying to do to raise money. I really do think it's great. I just think that they didn't put it together all too well.

steelersbabex25
10-15-2011, 09:15 PM
Pens are having some problems putting the puck in the net.

Scorp
10-15-2011, 09:20 PM
They look like bored little kids that would rather be in a bounce house.

--- Added 10/15/2011 at 08:20 PM ---

It's about time someone woke up. Thanks Staal, but too late.

Scorp
10-16-2011, 09:41 AM
By Bob Cohn, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Sunday, October 16, 2011

Imagine a long, cold, dark winter without the Penguins.

No cheering. No booing. No Stanley Cup. No Malkin or Fleury or Sid (assuming he comes back). No warm memories or sunny hopes.

In his new book, ″Breakaway,″ Tribune-Review investigative reporter Andrew Conte describes how Pittsburgh came closer to such a reality than most people realized. Publisher Blue River Press of Indianapolis will release the book on Tuesday for sales in bookstores and online at www.breakawaypenguins.com.

Frustrated by seemingly endless obstacles to building an arena considered vital to the club's survival, Penguins owners Mario Lemieux and Ron Burkle weighed moving the team to one of several potential landing spots. Of all the locations, Kansas City had put together the most attractive offer.

The Kansas City Penguins? It could have happened.

″When it came down to it in the end, the deal in Kansas City was actually sweeter (than the proposed arena in Pittsburgh) because they could begin making money right away,″ Conte said.

″Even with the arena deal here, they had to wait three years until they got the arena opened. So if they go to Kansas City, the deal there is comparable to the deal with the new arena here, but you get to start making money right away.″

Team owners considered a scenario in which the Penguins moved to Los Angeles, and the Kings relocated to Kansas City, according to Conte.

In the end, of course, the Penguins moved across the street, swapping their original home -- the small, outdated Civic Arena known as ″The Igloo″ -- for the modern, spacious Consol Energy Center.

Conte, who covered the legalization of casino gambling in Pennsylvania and the arena negotiations, two weighty topics that were inextricably connected, tells the story in ″Breakaway.″ It is a story, as he puts it, ″of the Penguins from bankruptcy to the new arena, and from last place to the Stanley Cup.″ Conte spent more than two years researching and writing the book and conducted dozens of interviews.

Hockey is a violent sport, apparently not entirely confined to the ice. Among the book's revelations is how talks grew so testy that it appeared fisticuffs might break out in a meeting room during a particularly heated moment. Then-Pennsylvania Gov. Ed Rendell became so angry that he ″snapped,″ called team attorney Chuck Greenberg ″a liar″ and gave every appearance of going further.

Those in the room worried that Rendell might get physical. Allegheny County Executive Dan Onorato stood up and advanced toward the governor, as if he might need to restrain him. The deal appeared to be falling apart. As Conte quotes Greenberg: ″I really thought that if I had given him any cause to be incited, a line might have been crossed that would be very difficult to undo.″

Rendell said later that he was trying to send a message with his voice and intimidating presence, Conte writes. ″I like to create that impression,″ Rendell told him. ″Part of it is real, and part of it is acting.″

Conte reports that the deal nearly fell apart a second time, during a secret meeting in New Jersey.

In addition to describing the political and business machinations, Conte reveals -- with help from the reporting of Karen Price, then the Trib's hockey writer -- the intricacies of superstar Evgeni Malkin's departure from Russia and his strange and alarming ″disappearance″ that accompanied it. Malkin's interview with Conte was the only time he discussed his departure since joining the Penguins.

Even with a large and colorful cast that includes, among others, Rendell, Lemieux and Burkle -- who played an active role in the Marian Hossa trade and promoting Dan Bylsma to head coach -- Conte said that ultimately Penguins fans are the book's ″heroes.″

The fans, he said, showed up at the casino license hearings in force, wearing Penguins jerseys. The fans continue to support their team through lean years and fat ones, and they persuaded the owners to keep the club here.

″The fans get a lot of credit for sticking with their team, even when it looked like it was gonna leave town,″ Conte said. ″The fans were still there. The fan base here was really the tipping point for why the team stayed.″

http://m.triblive.com/triblive/db_/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=21uLgQKC&full=true#display

steelersbabex25
10-17-2011, 07:58 PM
Pens had better get the W tonight against a rough Jets team..

steelersbabex25
10-17-2011, 11:03 PM
What a dissapointing last few games after such a good road trip to start the season. This team seriously needs Crosby, Malkin, and Kennedy back to start putting some pucks in the net.

I almost wish we could just be on the PK all game. Then we'd go to OT and atleast get a point.

Scorp
10-18-2011, 01:28 AM
That was a sick display. We'll start winning again.

Prosdo
10-18-2011, 03:53 AM
On a good note, I am happy that Winnipeg has their team back. You could tell there was amazing energy in that arena. They would have never gotten that type of crowd in Atlanta.

LatrobePA
10-18-2011, 08:26 AM
At least we let them win a game... Come on Pens!!

steelersbabex25
10-18-2011, 09:50 AM
10 goals in the last 5 games. That's a pretty awful stat.

LatrobePA
10-18-2011, 09:52 AM
Any word on Geno?

Scorp
10-18-2011, 12:21 PM
Tuesday, October 18, 2011
By Dave Molinari, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
WINNIPEG, Manitoba -- The Penguins apparently don't know precisely what happened to Tyler Kennedy , or when it did.

But they do seem reasonably certain that it resulted in a concussion, which is why he sat out their game Monday night against Winnipeg.

After Kennedy didn't go onto the ice at the game-day skate, coach Dan Bylsma said Kennedy was "suffering from concussion-like symptoms and is going to be evaluated further."

Bylsma added that Kennedy had informed the medical staff and coaches of his symptoms Sunday night, but that he was "not entirely sure" about the details of Kennedy's injury.

Kennedy's spot in the lineup for the Jets game was taken by rugged winger Steve MacIntyre , who made his second appearance of the season.

Winnipeg forward Evander Kane was scratched because of an unspecified injury.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11291/1182964-61.stm#ixzz1b9Q9ItuD

--- Added 10/18/2011 at 11:21 AM ---

Sunday, October 16, 2011
By Shelly Anderson, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
It is not difficult for Buffalo coach Lindy Ruff to recall the prowess of the Penguins when their top three centers are playing.

"I don't forget," he said. "I know what they're like."

That's more because of impact than recent memory.

Center Evgeni Malkin sat out the game Saturday night at Consol Energy Center against the Sabres. It was the third game in the past four he has missed because of soreness in his surgically repaired right knee. He had two assists Thursday in the Penguins' overtime loss against Washington but has not been on the ice since.

Penguins coach Dan Byslma indicated the absence against Buffalo was precautionary.

Top center and captain Sidney Crosby is taking contact in practice in his comeback from a concussion, but it is not known when he will be cleared to return to the lineup.

Crosby missed the second half of last season, and Malkin played once after Jan. 18, not at all after Feb. 4.

That leaves center Jordan Staal , who missed the first 40 games last season because of foot and hand injuries.

Those three played in just two games together in 2010-11 -- Jan. 1 and Jan. 5.

Perhaps sooner than later, the three again will be in the same lineup.

"It's something that the league is going to welcome; I'm not going to welcome it when it's all back together," Ruff said. "We know what they can do, how dangerous they can be and how good a team they were when they were in the lineup together."

Not that Ruff thinks the Penguins are deficient without Crosby and Malkin. Before Saturday night, the Penguins were 20-11-4 without those two, dating to when Crosby was diagnosed with a concussion.

"Oh, very dangerous," Ruff said.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11289/1182550-61.stm#ixzz1b9QSKKYm

Rampage
10-18-2011, 02:51 PM
It would be nice to see some of the Penguins stars play again. Feels like it has been years.

LatrobePA
10-18-2011, 03:22 PM
It would be nice to see some of the Penguins stars play again. Feels like it has been years.

Too damn long that's for sure..

steelersbabex25
10-18-2011, 05:35 PM
Letang suspended 2 games for boarding. This year is starting to feel a whole lot like last year.

Scorp
10-18-2011, 08:25 PM
It's going to be a long season. I hope they pull out a win tonight.

steelersbabex25
10-18-2011, 10:07 PM
Good defense, bad offense. Surprise surprise.

--- Added 10/18/2011 at 09:07 PM ---

New slogan: James Neal is unreal. It's catchy, it rhymes, and it's accurate. You heard it here first. Tell your friends.

Scorp
10-18-2011, 10:47 PM
Not bad steelersbabex25. I like it. Just like the Pens win tonight. :yellowthumb:

LatrobePA
10-19-2011, 08:53 AM
Good defense, bad offense. Surprise surprise.

--- Added 10/18/2011 at 09:07 PM ---

New slogan: James Neal is unreal. It's catchy, it rhymes, and it's accurate. You heard it here first. Tell your friends.

Thank goodness for him!!

what did Tanger do for the 2 game susp.?

steelersbabex25
10-19-2011, 10:09 AM
Thank goodness for him!!

what did Tanger do for the 2 game susp.?

Boarding..

LatrobePA
10-19-2011, 10:26 AM
Boarding..

I didn't know he was out until last night.. tks!

steelersbabex25
10-19-2011, 10:30 AM
I didn't know he was out until last night.. tks!

Letang, Fleury, Crosby, Malkin, Kennedy, Orpik, Jeffrey. All out. Strait left at some point during the game and didn't come back. I know Engelland got hit in the face with the puck, and I'm pretty sure he left also. Not sure if he returned.

LatrobePA
10-19-2011, 10:59 AM
He did return. Wow is all I can say Brent looked like he was hurt too.

Rampage
10-19-2011, 11:17 AM
There were a lot of concerns about Neal heading into this season. Doesn't look like there should be any now. I have to say I am very surprised. I thought he would do well, but six goals in eight games is excellent. Once Crosby and Malkin get back into the lineup, this team is going to be dangerous.

steelersbabex25
10-19-2011, 11:33 AM
There were a lot of concerns about Neal heading into this season. Doesn't look like there should be any now. I have to say I am very surprised. I thought he would do well, but six goals in eight games is excellent. Once Crosby and Malkin get back into the lineup, this team is going to be dangerous.

What's funny, my brother's facebook status right after they got Neal. "RAY SHERO COMMITTED ROBBERY!" I hate it when he's right..

Rampage
10-19-2011, 11:38 AM
What's funny, my brother's facebook status right after they got Neal. "RAY SHERO COMMITTED ROBBERY!" I hate it when he's right..

Shero is a huge part of this team's success. The Penguins seem to be a very well-managed and well-coached organization right now between Shero and Bylsma.

steelersbabex25
10-19-2011, 05:20 PM
Shero is a huge part of this team's success. The Penguins seem to be a very well-managed and well-coached organization right now between Shero and Bylsma.

Huge is an understatement. He's the master of awesome trades.

Rampage
10-19-2011, 06:19 PM
Huge is an understatement. He's the master of awesome trades.

Mike Brown is the master of awesome trades.

:lol:

steelersbabex25
10-19-2011, 06:20 PM
Mike Brown is the master of awesome trades.

:duh:

steelersbabex25
10-20-2011, 12:23 PM
Orpik should be back on the ice tonight. Finally.

Rampage
10-20-2011, 12:38 PM
Orpik should be back on the ice tonight. Finally.

That's good, but surely his return will mean that Neal or Michalek will get hurt. I mean, why should the team actually be able to improve?

steelersbabex25
10-20-2011, 12:48 PM
That's good, but surely his return will mean that Neal or Michalek will get hurt. I mean, why should the team actually be able to improve?

No, Neal or Michalek won't get hurt. Orpik will probably tear an ACL halfway through he first period though.

LatrobePA
10-20-2011, 01:50 PM
Any word on Geno??

steelersbabex25
10-20-2011, 02:15 PM
Any word on Geno??

Wasn't on the ice for the morning skate. Neither was Kennedy.

LatrobePA
10-20-2011, 02:39 PM
Wasn't on the ice for the morning skate. Neither was Kennedy.

Geez!

steelersbabex25
10-20-2011, 07:05 PM
Jeffrey also back tonight.

Scorp
10-20-2011, 10:54 PM
Accidentally deleted the game from my dvr. Damn. Did i miss anything great or decent? Good win however. Bring on those pesky devils.

steelersbabex25
10-20-2011, 11:04 PM
Accidentally deleted the game from my dvr. Damn. Did i miss anything great or decent? Good win however. Bring on those pesky devils.

Another goal for Neal. Fleury had a good game.

NOVA STEELERS
10-21-2011, 12:43 AM
The Jets......... really :whistle:

LETS GO RANGERS !!!!

steelersbabex25
10-21-2011, 01:08 AM
The Jets......... really :whistle:

LETS GO RANGERS !!!!

Last in the division......really :whistle:

LatrobePA
10-21-2011, 08:41 AM
Neal on fire so far!

Rampage
10-21-2011, 10:49 AM
Neal on fire so far!

The thought of having him on a line with Crosby or Malkin excites me. Hell, if he keeps going at this pace he'll shatter 50 goals. :lol:

LatrobePA
10-21-2011, 11:21 AM
The thought of having him on a line with Crosby or Malkin excites me. Hell, if he keeps going at this pace he'll shatter 50 goals. :lol:

It's gonna be crazy, I can't wait for them to get into action..

Rampage
10-22-2011, 01:46 PM
I heard that Malkin could suit up today. That would be nice to see, although I would hate seeing him return only to get hurt and be out even longer.

steelersbabex25
10-22-2011, 05:10 PM
I heard that Malkin could suit up today. That would be nice to see, although I would hate seeing him return only to get hurt and be out even longer.

Which is definitely a possibility. The Pens have been dropping like flies the last couple years.

steelersbabex25
10-22-2011, 09:13 PM
Phew, James Neal got his goal. I was getting a little nervous.

Scorp
10-22-2011, 11:00 PM
Our boys looked great tonight. Very impressive win. Job well done.

LatrobePA
10-23-2011, 09:31 AM
FU Devils!

Rampage
10-23-2011, 11:29 AM
Good win. I'm still waiting for Sullivan to get his goal. :lol:

JensK
10-23-2011, 11:30 AM
How is Crosby coming along? I don't really follow hockey much but I do enjoy watching him play.

Rampage
10-23-2011, 11:38 AM
How is Crosby coming along? I don't really follow hockey much but I do enjoy watching him play.

He has been cleared for full contact practice and has been practicing harder lately. Still, there is not a return date in mind. Hopefully he can make it back on the ice before December.

steelersbabex25
10-23-2011, 11:59 AM
I thought that after he was cleared for contact he would be back within 2 or 3 weeks. But everyday I keep pushing that date back. He was cleared, but everything that I'm reading is saying that the coaches still aren't allowing him to go full contact in practice.

Scorp
10-24-2011, 01:05 PM
the suspense is torture.

Dee Mca
10-24-2011, 02:29 PM
Because of the way the NHL made the Penguins schedule so full of games early they aren't getting much full contact practices in. So Crosby isn't getting back up to game speed. Is it possible that Sid could go down to the Baby Pens to get some contact in? or would he be at a bigger risk from some farm team kid looking to make a name for himself?

steelersbabex25
10-24-2011, 04:41 PM
Because of the way the NHL made the Penguins schedule so full of games early they aren't getting much full contact practices in. So Crosby isn't getting back up to game speed. Is it possible that Sid could go down to the Baby Pens to get some contact in? or would he be at a bigger risk from some farm team kid looking to make a name for himself?

Is that a serious question?

Stairwayto7
10-24-2011, 07:55 PM
Im sure theyll give him just the right amount of contact in pratice.

Dee Mca
10-24-2011, 09:03 PM
Well at least going to Wilkes-barre he could get some contact and be back sooner. With the way their schedule is now. Earliest I have seen about Sid being back is end of November . Perhaps even early December. The problem is right now their not having a lot of full contact practices. When they only have a day or 2 off in between games. Factoring current injuries and travel time in.

steelersbabex25
10-24-2011, 09:07 PM
Well at least going to Wilkes-barre he could get some contact and be back sooner. With the way their schedule is now. Earliest I have seen about Sid being back is end of November . Perhaps even early December. The problem is right now their not having a lot of full contact practices. When they only have a day or 2 off in between games. Factoring current injuries and travel time in.

There is a -100% chance that the best hockey player in the world goes down to an AHL team just to get some contact in.

Scorp
10-25-2011, 02:00 PM
http://m.triblive.com/triblive/db_/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=Dh6iEiKP&full=true#display

By Josh Yohe, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Tuesday, October 25, 2011

• Center Evgeni Malkin is with the Penguins in New York and could possibly make his return to the lineup tonight against the Islanders. Malkin hasn't played since Oct. 13 because of a sore knee. He practiced with the Penguins on Monday, marking the seventh time in eight days he has skated. Malkin appeared to get through yesterday's 60-minute workout with no sign of discomfort. ″(Malkin) is still not ruled in or out for (today's) game,″ Penguins coach Dan Bylsma said. Malkin has scored one goal and three assists in three games this season. He skated on a line with left wing Steve Sullivan and right wing James Neal during yesterday's workout.

• Penguins radio broadcaster Mike Lange will miss tonight's game against the Islanders because of a family celebration. He will return to the broadcast booth for Thursday's game against the Islanders at Consol Energy Center. Steve Mears will handle the radio play-by-play tonight alongside color commentator Phil Bourque on WXDX-FM (105.9).

• Bylsma is not interested in reliving the events of Feb. 11, when the Penguins and Islanders engaged in a brawl-filled debacle. The Penguins and Islanders met in April in a game that was fairly clean. Bylsma said the Penguins are not entering this game thinking about ″repaid debts.″

• Center Sidney Crosby didn't make the trip to New York but did practice with the Penguins yesterday.

• Right wing Tyler Kennedy has not returned to practice following a concussion diagnosis, and his return does not appear imminent.

steelersbabex25
10-25-2011, 02:02 PM
:pray:

Rampage
10-25-2011, 02:54 PM
I'm already getting tired of this season. Malkin is always "close" and there's no timetable for Crosby's return. When the team finally gets a guy like Orpik back, they lose Michalek for a few weeks to a broken finger.

The injuries are so frustrating.

steelersbabex25
10-25-2011, 03:01 PM
I'm already getting tired of this season. Malkin is always "close" and there's no timetable for Crosby's return. When the team finally gets a guy like Orpik back, they lose Michalek for a few weeks to a broken finger.

The injuries are so frustrating.

4eNrgpVp70U

Dee Mca
10-25-2011, 03:10 PM
I blame all the injuries on the Pens crappy schedule. First we started out with that crappy Western Canada road trip. All together we have played 10 games through the first 16 days of the season. Theirs a few teams that have only played 6 games so far. Most teams are at 7 games. Too much to soon.

steelersbabex25
10-25-2011, 07:19 PM
Malkin is back tonight. :crossfingers: that he doesn't aggravate whatever the **** was wrong with him.

steelersbabex25
10-25-2011, 09:27 PM
MAF with the shutout :woot: He's been playing out of his mind so far this season.

Scorp
10-25-2011, 11:00 PM
Wow, i'm so impressed with these guys. Especially with their crazy sched. You know it's all going to pay off at the end of the season?

steelersbabex25
10-25-2011, 11:17 PM
:wtf: is up with the name Scorp?

Rampage
10-26-2011, 11:20 AM
Wow, Fleury with an actual shutout. Usually the defense softens up enough at the end of a game to make sure one gets into the net. Good for him.

steelersbabex25
10-26-2011, 11:28 AM
Wow, Fleury with an actual shutout. Usually the defense softens up enough at the end of a game to make sure one gets into the net. Good for him.

Remind you of any other Pittsburgh team :rolleyes:

Rampage
10-26-2011, 11:39 AM
Remind you of any other Pittsburgh team :rolleyes:

Scorp
10-26-2011, 12:25 PM
:wtf: is up with the name Scorp?

Had to go with my 2 favorite Steelers. :yellowthumb: You can still call me scorp babe.

Stairwayto7
10-26-2011, 06:50 PM
http://myfreshfactory.com/believenewmens.html cool pens tshirt

steelersbabex25
10-26-2011, 07:45 PM
That's cool. Wish it had the Pens logo or something on it.

steelersbabex25
10-27-2011, 07:10 PM
This article makes me so so so so so so so so happy.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2011/10/27/sidney-crosbys-responded-well-to-contact-might-debut-in-pittsburgh/

Pittsburgh Penguins GM Ray Shero was on Sportsnet’s Hockeycentral at Noon today to discuss — what else? — Sidney Crosby‘s impending comeback.

Based on what Shero had to say, there’s major reason for optimism.

The interview was noteworthy for two particular things: One, Shero confirmed Crosby’s absorbed contact in practice with no ill-effects. Two, there’s an inkling the organization would like him to make his season debut at the Consol Energy Center.

Here are Shero’s quotes in full:

On Crosby receiving contact: “He’s had contact in practice. He’s taken a stick in the chin, he ran into Kris Letang and unfortunately No. 58 took the worst of it. He’s had tough battles down low in a lot of our practices.”
If Crosby will play Saturday in Toronto: “No. I’d like him to play at home first probably. Does it matter though, really? He’s going to want to play — the thing with Sidney is he really wants to play and if I tell him ‘listen, we want to hold you out until the following Friday because we have a home game,’ he’s going to look at me like ‘huh?’”

Looking at the Penguins’ upcoming schedule, they play at home tonight against the Islanders before heading out on a three-game trip to Toronto (Oct. 29), San Jose (Nov. 3) and Los Angeles (Nov. 5). The Pens then get six days off before the “following Friday” game Shero alluded to — a Nov. 11 home date against Dallas, which everyone is now probably circling on their calendars.

Scorp
10-27-2011, 08:19 PM
Sweet. Going to be so exciting. Thanks for posting babe. By the way are the Pens really wearing purple? Can't watch the game.

steelersbabex25
10-27-2011, 08:45 PM
No, they're not wearing purple for the game. That was for the pregame.

Scorp
10-27-2011, 08:46 PM
thanks.

steelersbabex25
10-27-2011, 09:47 PM
Good win. That goal by Neal was a thing of beauty.

LarryNJ
10-28-2011, 07:43 AM
It was actually like 2 winds last night. The Pens get a big win in the so, and the Flyers score 8 goals but don't get a point. Haha

LatrobePA
10-28-2011, 09:08 AM
I hate not being able to watch the games... #9 for Neal!!

steelersbabex25
10-28-2011, 11:35 AM
It was actually like 2 winds last night. The Pens get a big win in the so, and the Flyers score 8 goals but don't get a point. Haha

3 wins. Pens win in SO, Flyers get 9 scored on them, and Washington FINALLY loses...to the OILERS! :rofl:

I hate not being able to watch the games... #9 for Neal!!

Can you not watch because you don't have a feed? I almost always have one that I can PM you if you want.

LatrobePA
10-28-2011, 12:05 PM
3 wins. Pens win in SO, Flyers get 9 scored on them, and Washington FINALLY loses...to the OILERS! :rofl:

Can you not watch because you don't have a feed? I almost always have one that I can PM you if you want.

No feed, that would be awesome if you could... THANKS!!

LarryNJ
10-28-2011, 12:13 PM
the streams are getting much better, very clear and smooth.

steelersbabex25
10-28-2011, 12:25 PM
No feed, that would be awesome if you could... THANKS!!

I'll just give you the sites I use.

Try chanfeed.com or atdhenet.tv. If you go on those sites and can't find a feed, just PM me or whatever and I'll send you the direct link.

the streams are getting much better, very clear and smooth.

Yeah, all my feeds so far have been flawless.

LatrobePA
10-28-2011, 02:37 PM
Thank you!

steelersbabex25
10-29-2011, 09:41 PM
Definitely missed Fleury tonight.

Steel Trap86
10-29-2011, 09:59 PM
Watching the game from my hotel room in Pittsburgh, GO LEAFS GO!!! lol

Big game at Heinz tomorrow, can't wait to see the damage done on Brady. STEELERS WILL WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cope:

steelersbabex25
10-29-2011, 10:05 PM
Watching the game from my hotel room in Pittsburgh, GO LEAFS GO!!! lol

Big game at Heinz tomorrow, can't wait to see the damage done on Brady. STEELERS WILL WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cope:

Are you going? BRC, Bleeder and I are all going.

Scorp
10-29-2011, 11:04 PM
Where are you Crosby?

Scorp
10-31-2011, 01:01 PM
Sunday, October 30, 2011
By Dave Molinari, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Sidney Crosby - How deep is the rust?

Ten months ago, Sidney Crosby was widely regarded as the finest player in the world.

Perhaps he will be again 10 months from now. Or 10 weeks. Or 10 days, for that matter.

But as Crosby gets closer to returning from the concussion that has prevented him from playing since Jan. 5, it's worth pointing out that he won't necessarily be the same player.

Not immediately, anyway.

Even if there are no lingering effects from his concussion, Crosby will have to deal with having been away from games for 10-plus months.

And while none of his teammates know what it's like to perform at the level Crosby routinely reaches -- OK, Evgeni Malkin probably has at least a rough idea -- several are all too aware of what it's like to return to work after an extended layoff.

And while their injuries were as different as their playing styles, they have at least one thing in common: All agree that their returns were not seamless, that they needed time to get acclimated before feeling entirely at home in game situations again.

"It probably took me a good 15 games before I felt comfortable out there," said winger Steve Sullivan, who missed 142 consecutive regular-season games, including the entire 2007-08 season, because of a back problem.

Crosby has, to this point, missed 54 games. Not as many as Sullivan, obviously, but more than the 40 Jordan Staal sat out at the start of the 2010-11 season because of a foot infection and its complications.

"The timing is one of the biggest things," Staal said. "It's a fast game. You think that in practice you're moving fast and you're feeling good, but when you get into a game, it's that much faster and that much harder to find openings and understand where you need to be."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11303/1186254-61-2.stm

steelersbabex25
10-31-2011, 01:42 PM
You're Scorp again? :lol:

Prosdo
10-31-2011, 06:09 PM
I hate this long gap in games.

Prosdo
10-31-2011, 06:48 PM
Realignment could jeopardize Penguins' rivalries - 10-31-11

As reported by the CBC's Elliotte Friedman, a proposal on realigning the NHL's division is gaining steam among the NHL's governors. According to Friedman, the proposal would reduce to number of divisions from six to four. And they would look like this:

If the sight of the Penguins being in a division not including any of their traditional rivals from the old Patrick Division is jarring, just wait until you hear how scheduling would be handled. According to Friedman:

"The way it works is you will play every team not in your division home and home, and the rest of the games will be in your division. So Pittsburgh would not be with Philadelphia, and that's one thing the Penguins were understandably concerned about, because [they say] we're going to lose that rivalry."

In others words, the Penguins would play the Flyers, Capitals, Rangers and others only twice a season.

http://blogs.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/sports/empty-netters/30690-realignment-could-jeopardize-penguins-rivalries-10-31-11?

Interesting article on the realignment. Not a fan of not being in a division with Philly and Washington. These rivalries need to stay intact.

Scorp
11-01-2011, 01:54 AM
You're Scorp again? :lol:

Might be just me but i didn't think anyone cared for LambertPolamalu. :popcorn:

Rampage
11-01-2011, 12:29 PM
Interesting article on the realignment. Not a fan of not being in a division with Philly and Washington. These rivalries need to stay intact.

I would definitely hate to lose those rivalries.

steelersbabex25
11-01-2011, 12:29 PM

Yeah that would be bad. In terms of the actual schedule, it would make the season easier playing those teams less often, but it wouldn't be nearly as exciting for the fans.

Prosdo
11-01-2011, 03:11 PM
I'd swap Pittsburgh with Carolina or the Islanders. Probably the Islanders. Pens/Caps/Flyers match-ups are big match-ups for hockey. In a league that's trying to project itself forward you don't shoot yourself in the foot like that.

LarryNJ
11-01-2011, 04:47 PM
I'd swap Pittsburgh with Carolina or the Islanders. Probably the Islanders. Pens/Caps/Flyers match-ups are big match-ups for hockey. In a league that's trying to project itself forward you don't shoot yourself in the foot like that.

That makes sense for us but you wouldn't separate the 3 NY teams, from NY to Philly to DC is nothing. You could easily go to any of those games as a 1 day road trip. Being in the Philly area I certainly want to stay in the Flyers division. I'd take playing the Caps just in the playoffs because that's when we beat them, in the regular season we struggle against them.

If they do change it to that I certainly hope we get Detroit and not Columbus.

Prosdo
11-01-2011, 09:49 PM
That makes sense for us but you wouldn't separate the 3 NY teams, from NY to Philly to DC is nothing. You could easily go to any of those games as a 1 day road trip. Being in the Philly area I certainly want to stay in the Flyers division. I'd take playing the Caps just in the playoffs because that's when we beat them, in the regular season we struggle against them.

If they do change it to that I certainly hope we get Detroit and not Columbus.

lol True, but the Islanders are such a joke throw them anywhere.

Scorp
11-01-2011, 11:41 PM
Who do you think will be the Penguins toughest opponent this season?

LarryNJ
11-01-2011, 11:47 PM
lol True, but the Islanders are such a joke throw them anywhere.

They might not be for long. They are building a pretty decent young team.

--- Added 11/1/2011 at 10:47 PM ---

Who do you think will be the Penguins toughest opponent this season?

The Caps and Flyers both have a real goalie now, the Caps are probably the toughest opponent in the East.

Prosdo
11-03-2011, 09:06 AM
They might not be for long. They are building a pretty decent young team.

--- Added 11/1/2011 at 10:47 PM ---

The Caps and Flyers both have a real goalie now, the Caps are probably the toughest opponent in the East.

Speaking fan wise. They do have a young good team coming together and still fans aren't supporting them very well.

Scorp
11-03-2011, 10:57 AM
Pens/Sharks tonight. Finally. Pens have a hard time beating these guys on their home ice. I saw thier live action a few years ago on my bday and they could just not find a way to beat sj. Things might be different this time around. GO PENS!!!!

LarryNJ
11-03-2011, 07:26 PM
Speaking fan wise. They do have a young good team coming together and still fans aren't supporting them very well.

Yes I went up to long Island 2 years ago for a Pens game. That arena is as bad as the Civic Arena was. The good thing is a got tickets for 420 each! :) They desperately need a new place, but the last I heard it was sounding like they might move off the Island.

Diehardsteel
11-03-2011, 10:43 PM
:lol:LETS GO SHARKS!!!:grin1:

steelersbabex25
11-03-2011, 10:47 PM
Yes I went up to long Island 2 years ago for a Pens game. That arena is as bad as the Civic Arena was. The good thing is a got tickets for 420 each! :) They desperately need a new place, but the last I heard it was sounding like they might move off the Island.

420 each :yikes: How is that a good thing?

lloydfan4life
11-03-2011, 10:50 PM
Pens off to a strong start this evening against the Sharks! :danceshout:

--- Added 11/3/2011 at 09:50 PM ---

:lol:LETS GO SHARKS!!!:grin1:

2 zip so far :nahnah:

:hehheh:

steelersbabex25
11-03-2011, 10:59 PM
You know somethings going wrong when your goalie gets pulled 3 minutes into the first :rofl:

Diehardsteel
11-03-2011, 11:09 PM
2 zip so far :nahnah:

:hehheh:

Not surprised! Very familiar with the pens, what a powerhouse. When I first got into the sport I started watching the pens. Being a huge Steeler fan it was only natural to support another Pittsburgh team. Even though I'm a devoted Sharks fan now, Malkin is still one of my favorite players. It's still early!!! not over yet.:nono:

--- Added 11/3/2011 at 10:09 PM ---

You know somethings going wrong when your goalie gets pulled 3 minutes into the first :rofl:

:evilshake: