PDA

View Full Version : How would the Steelers survive if Ben was gone?

BlitzburghRockCity
09-20-2011, 08:29 AM
I was thinking about this yesterday and then saw an article in the Post Gazette (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11263/1176040-66-0.stm) talking about this very thing.

The Colts are a shell of their former selves without Peyton Manning at QB. They clearly did not do their homework in preparing their backups for this type of situation and now they are paying the price. Blame for this goes squarely on the coaches and owners. That team was built for Peyton Manning, plain and simple. He is the heart, soul, and in reality the Head Coach.

Anyways, if the roles were reversed and Ben were lost for the year or for atleast a couple of months, how would the Steelers fair? Would Charlie Batch be able to stay healthy and lead this team to some victories? Would they be able to duplicate the 3-1 performance of 2010 when Ben was gone for 4 games? Could they sustain that type of momentum for say 6-8 games straight? This is a question that none of us ever want to realize but if it did happen, the Steelers are much more prepared to handle it than the Colts are.

The Steelers defense knows how to pick up the slack and carry the team on the shoulders. The offensive line, when they put their mind to it, can grind out the yards on the ground, keep the clock moving and take the pressure off the backup signal caller. The reserves that Tomlin has at his disposal are experienced, savvy veterans who have been there and done that. We would be foolish to think the Steelers would still be automatic playoff contenders or even finish at .500, but clearly their chances would be better than other teams right now.

LatrobePA
09-20-2011, 08:31 AM
See the Colts!

The defense would keep it close, but with no clutch QB play this team would be horrid!

cmerrifield
09-20-2011, 08:32 AM
I think without Ben for the season we would be 7-9 maybe 6-10 this year. Batch just isnt mobile enough to throw behind that line. However, we would not be as bad as the Colts as Ben doesnt call the plays (unfortunately since we have BA), Ben doesnt run practices, etc. Our defense and Batch could keep us from being 2-14, but in no way would we be a playoff team.

DBR96A
09-20-2011, 08:53 AM
Roethlisberger is the difference between 8-8/9-7 and 11-5/12-4.

STEELyourface
09-20-2011, 09:47 AM
Ya, I'll have to agree with everyone so far. I think for a period of 4-6 weeks we could stay afloat without too much of an issue, but in a gone for the season scenario we don't have anyone to pull off the game winning drive and that would drop us down to a record in the neighborhood of .500.

If that were to happen, what would they do? Bring someone in? Not many options out there, I suppose you'd have to consider Garrard in that scenario.......

SnakeEyes43
09-20-2011, 10:04 AM
I think the defense could only take the team so far this year if we lost Ben. I just haven't seen the same heart that this D usually shows. It's early, so this may change, but I'm a tad bit worried about the defense as a whole, but in particular the D-line and (big suprise!) the Dbs. The Seahawks game was nice to see, but that was against a pretty bad team.

IMO, if we lost Ben it would be nice for a change to see Redman and Mendy get a lot of the work load and see how far they could carry the team.

And even though Ben hasn't gotten into his usual form yet, this team wouldn't make it far in the Playoffs with their $100 million QB.

Scorp
09-20-2011, 10:28 AM
If we lost 1 game while Ben was out last year we could be ok this season. I have faith in C Batch. He knows his stuff and can produce and answer the call.

Rampage
09-20-2011, 11:02 AM
I don't think they would fare too well. Even if they miraculously made the playoffs, do you think Charlie Batch or Dennis Dixon would be able to win a game with that line going up against a good team? They'd be cannon fodder.

If the Steelers lost Ben, I'd almost rather see them lose out so that the team could use a high pick on a solid offensive lineman to help protect him in the future. Instead, they'd probably go DE. :lol:

JensK
09-20-2011, 11:33 AM
Better than colts, worse than Patriots.

steelersbabex25
09-20-2011, 11:45 AM
I don't think that we would make it to the superbowl by any means, but I also don't think we would fall apart completely. I mean the Colts, wow. It is crazy how much Peyton Manning means to that team. He could be the difference between a 13-3 season and a 3-13 season. I don't think we'd see that much of a swing if we lost Ben.

RIVERS OF STEEL
09-20-2011, 12:07 PM
They won't.

andyg1984
09-20-2011, 12:38 PM
we would be horrible ...early draft pick

HUNT4SEVEN
09-20-2011, 03:51 PM
They wouldn't survive....

Thisoneguy555
09-20-2011, 04:47 PM
See the Colts!

The defense would keep it close, but with no clutch QB play this team would be horrid!

Steelers wouldn't be that bad... This is a team that went 3-1 without Ben last season. Colts can't even win 1 game without Manning.

Steelers didn't build the offense around Ben, so putting someone in their who isn't as good wouldn't be that big of a problem in my opinion. Steelers would have a better chance at making the playoffs without Ben then the Colts do without Manning.

Goodfrom55
09-20-2011, 05:39 PM
. . .Like a one legged man in an *** kicking contest.

Charlie Batch could never withstand the beating of a full season.

Steelers_All_Day_43
09-20-2011, 05:44 PM
We would bring in Favre!

Goodfrom55
09-20-2011, 05:48 PM
Bring back Bubby!

LarryNJ
09-21-2011, 03:17 AM
We would be doomed. Not as bad as the Colts but there's not one player who's more of an MVP to his team than Peyton. Even the Pats would look better than the Colts if Brady was gone.
I have zero confidence in Charlie, if Lefty was in there I think we'd be ok. DD may be ok if he got a half a seasons under his belt.

There's no way we'd play in Feburary, although I don't think any team who lost their qb would be.

DBR96A
09-21-2011, 04:14 AM
Last season, the Steelers averaged 270 yards and 18 points per game without Roethlisberger, and 371 yards and 23 points per game with him. In other words, Roethlisberger improved the offense's productivity by 101 yards and five points per game. That's a statistically significant difference. For as well as the defense played in Roethlisberger's absence last season, it would not have been sustainable over an entire season. Hell, the Steelers finished the 2009 season 3-1 without Troy Polamalu; does that mean he's not an essential player on the team?

Furthermore, has anybody else noticed how easily Byron Leftwich, Charlie Batch and Dennis Dixon seem to get injured? That's yet another testament to how weak our offensive line has been in recent years. The backup QBs can't stay healthy. Batch gets sacked at a rate equal to Roethlisberger, and Leftwich and Dixon get sacked at a higher rate. The running game hasn't finished in the top 10 in rushing yards since 2007, or any higher than 16th in YPC since then either. The offensive line was the most penalized in the NFL last season. Red zone efficiency was among the worst in the NFL. And we're supposed to believe that the problem is Roethlisberger holding onto the ball too long? Bullshit! Utter bullshit! If anything, Roethlisberger masks a lot of problems with the rest of the offense.

The Steelers need him just as much as they need Polamalu, period. To even suggest otherwise is a slap in his face.

steelers4life66
09-21-2011, 08:14 AM
I'm not even gonna entertainer that thought cuz a couple of days leading up to the sea chickens game I just had a bad feeling that Ben was going to take a bad hit to the knee. When it happened at the end of the 2nd quarter I almost **** myself.

roosterray
09-21-2011, 08:56 AM
After reading your good points, it makes it more clear that we need to draft some backup QBs soon. Charlie is a bandaid and an old crumbly one at that. I love the guy but how long would he hold up over a season. I'm not sold on Dixon. He has talent, but he should have been a Slash player from day 1. Outside of that we need to get a guy that fits our system sooner then later to 1 be a potential starter that we would actually have confidence in, and secondly another one in 2-3 years that would eventually be there if Ben makes it to 35 on the field. Our depth at QB is about as good as our Cb's. If Ben was down, It would be bad. The Pats have someone who keep the team on the verge of the playoffs is something happened to Brady. We do not.

greg1964
09-21-2011, 01:25 PM
Did we forget last year: 3-1 without Ben:

As much I Ben make the Steelers a better team: The Steelers could win with Batch: provided B.A. would take the handcuff off him:

Now if the Steelers have to go to Dixon, then the season is OVER

Danger DANJ
09-21-2011, 09:13 PM
Did we forget last year: 3-1 without Ben:

As much I Ben make the Steelers a better team: The Steelers could win with Batch: provided B.A. would take the handcuff off him:

Now if the Steelers have to go to Dixon, then the season is OVER

Batch wouldn't last long. I doubt he would start many games before getting hurt behind this O-line. Batch is too old to take big hits. We would be left with Dixon or have to pick up another QB.

I'd say without Ben, 8-8 would be lucky. More like 6-10. The Defense isn't playing like it used to. If we still had Lefty, I'd say we had a chance at 9 or 10 wins and maybe a wild card.

STEELyourface
09-22-2011, 12:03 AM
After reading your good points, it makes it more clear that we need to draft some backup QBs soon. Charlie is a bandaid and an old crumbly one at that. I love the guy but how long would he hold up over a season. I'm not sold on Dixon. He has talent, but he should have been a Slash player from day 1. Outside of that we need to get a guy that fits our system sooner then later to 1 be a potential starter that we would actually have confidence in, and secondly another one in 2-3 years that would eventually be there if Ben makes it to 35 on the field. Our depth at QB is about as good as our Cb's. If Ben was down, It would be bad. The Pats have someone who keep the team on the verge of the playoffs is something happened to Brady. We do not.

I think Ryan Lindly out of San Diego St would be the answer to what you are looking for. I see him as a compitent backup fairly quickly and someone who could very well develop into a starter down the road. I also think he will be available in a spot suitable for us to take a QB in a mid/late round of the upcoming draft.

coldrolled
09-22-2011, 08:09 AM
Ben goes down, we would pick up an OT or CB high in the draft.