PDA

View Full Version : Who else thought that first Steelers drive was an automatic TD?

BlitzburghRockCity
09-19-2011, 09:14 AM
The Steelers started out just the way you wanted them too. Win the toss, take the ball, drive right down to a first and goal situation. Thanks to the pass interference call generated by Mike Wallace.

Everybody and their brother in the Steeler Nation figured this was an easy touchdown. 4 chances for goal to go, at the 1, and they couldn't punch it in! The line got no push, then the penalty, and that was that.

I know it didn't matter in the end because the Steelers still won, but there's no excuse not to score from that position in your own house. Can someone explain to me how you don't run Isaac Redman down there in that situation? He's your short yardage workhorse!

Raleigh Steel
09-19-2011, 09:23 AM
I'm with ya BRC. these are the things that worry me with bruce's offense...it just doesn't score points...it doesn't play to strengths or against weaknesses. it just does what it does regardless.

we should of had 28 points in the 1st half. we didn't score 28 all game. hopefully they were using this game, just to try certain things. hopefully they felt pretty confident that they had the game in the bag so they were using it as a de facto pre-season game.

but it's always the same thing with BA...week in, week out, year in, year out.

Troyisabeast_43
09-19-2011, 09:39 AM
Tomlin is an idiot too for challenging that play on 4th down where Mendenhall got stopped plain and simple...Dont know what him or his coaches upstairs saw on that play. One thing we have seen over the years since Tomlin took over he is has been terrible at knowing when and when not to challenge certain calls.

coldrolled
09-19-2011, 10:07 AM
redman 4 times... 2 runs inside 2 outside

legursky blocking.. it would be nice to have a real FB..

arians is a loser plain and simple.

MikeAFC
09-19-2011, 10:43 AM
I know we played better, but the fact Is we only scored 3 measly TD's against a horrible team!!!!

LatrobePA
09-19-2011, 10:48 AM
Ben was off a bit or else it could of been a much higher TD count...

Ibleedblk&gld
09-19-2011, 10:57 AM
i was wondering why mendy was in there on the 1...i agree, redman should have gotten the ball in that series

Stairwayto7
09-19-2011, 11:57 AM
Ryan did, I was late! But got there just as we scored our first TD

Nolrog
09-19-2011, 12:20 PM
Tomlin is an idiot too for challenging that play on 4th down where Mendenhall got stopped plain and simple...

I'm not a huge fan of challenging a play early in the game. Then you have only 1 left and you can't use it on something more obvious because there could be a critical play at the end of the game (outside of 2 minutes) that costs you the game and you don't have one left (if you lost at least one).

coldrolled
09-19-2011, 12:24 PM
redman's take

"We can't give up our running game," Redman said. "We just can't go five-wide and throw the ball. The run is what sets up the passing game."

Rampage
09-19-2011, 12:25 PM
Tomlin is an idiot too for challenging that play on 4th down where Mendenhall got stopped plain and simple...Dont know what him or his coaches upstairs saw on that play. One thing we have seen over the years since Tomlin took over he is has been terrible at knowing when and when not to challenge certain calls.

I don't blame that solely on Tomlin. He's supposed to be called by someone in the both saying that it should be reviewed. Whoever does that for the Steelers should have been fired long ago, because they flat out blow. We see challenges for plays that will obviously stand and they keep challenges in the pocket on plays that could be overturned. I'm all for fair equal employment opportunities, but a blind guy should not be reviewing plays.

steelersbabex25
09-19-2011, 12:57 PM
I don't blame that solely on Tomlin. He's supposed to be called by someone in the both saying that it should be reviewed. Whoever does that for the Steelers should have been fired long ago, because they flat out blow. We see challenges for plays that will obviously stand and they keep challenges in the pocket on plays that could be overturned. I'm all for fair equal employment opportunities, but a blind guy should not be reviewing plays.

Uh, yeah. Could be the dumbest challenge flag I've seen him throw. Not the most crucial, but definitely the dumbest. He seemed sure after the play that he was a touchdown, seemed like he let his pride get in the way. But someone upstairs has to be telling him not to throw that flag. The play wasn't even close. Mendenhall was obviously well short of the goal line.

As for the goal line stand, WHY DO YOU PASS AT ALL WHEN YOU'RE AT THE ONE YARD LINE?! You go run run run run, 4 times. That's it. Give it to Mendy once or twice, fine. But once you have 3rd or 4th down, give it to someone who you know it going to punch it in, a.k.a Isaac Redman. I don't understand why they still refuse to give the ball to Redman when everytime he gets it he produces 3+ yards. He's a POWER back. When you have 4th and goal at the one, give it to your POWER back. Stupid. Just so so dumb.

Rampage
09-19-2011, 01:03 PM
As for the goal line stand, WHY DO YOU PASS AT ALL WHEN YOU'RE AT THE ONE YARD LINE?! You go run run run run, 4 times. That's it. Give it to Mendy once or twice, fine. But once you have 3rd or 4th down, give it to someone who you know it going to punch it in, a.k.a Isaac Redman. I don't understand why they still refuse to give the ball to Redman when everytime he gets it he produces 3+ yards. He's a POWER back. When you have 4th and goal at the one, give it to your POWER back. Stupid. Just so so dumb.

Steelers should have gone deep. Wait. What?

connecticutsteel
09-19-2011, 01:17 PM
Let's not get it twisted godzilla wouldn't have scored the o-line insists on standing up and letting themselves get blown back into the hole the linebacker made a good play they are a bad team but they still have capable players . I think Tomlin asked Mendenhall if he scored and he said yes if you watch the tape they talk then he challenges the play.
P.S 4 runs = goal line stand 1 run 2nd down play action TOUCHDOWN