PDA

View Full Version : Salary cap won't be a problem if Gilbert doesn't work out

BlitzburghRockCity
09-15-2011, 12:47 AM
Marcus Gilbert will start at right tackle Sunday, and the rookie was the Steelers’ first choice to replace Willie Colon after the latter sustained a torn triceps.
The Steelers discussed re-signing Flozell Adams or Max Starks Monday after they learned that Colon had been lost for the season. But they decided to go with Gilbert, the second-round pick out of Florida, and sign a free agent tackle for depth.

Money apparently had nothing to do with them saying thanks but no thanks later when an inquiry was made on Adams’ behalf.

The Steelers are fully committed to Gilbert, and he will get more than one game to prove himself at right tackle.

The Steelers are confident that money or the salary cap won’t be an issue if Gilbert is not ready to start and they have to eventually sign a veteran such as Adams or Starks. From Scott Brown - Trib (http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/2011/09/14/steelers-fully-committed-to-gilbert/)

BlitzburghRockCity
09-15-2011, 12:48 AM
So whatever salary cap issues the Steelers are rumored to have or not have, apparently aren't bad enough that they won't be able to sign someone else if need be.

According to the article, Gilbert will get every chance to win and keep that job at RT, and rightfully so. He deserves a shot as much as anyone. It's good to know however, that should something not work out, they have the means to go another direction.

STEELyourface
09-15-2011, 01:02 AM
This all makes me happy! I just wanna know what the hell we got with him and see them make decisions and progress towards eventual O line solutions. Sounds like they have decided to take the first step towards seriously solving/addressing this problem.

Maybe we'll get some continuity out of the Gilbert/Pouncey Gator combo!

Farrior Fan
09-15-2011, 03:20 AM
it would be better to have the Gilbert/Pouncey/Starks Gator combo imho

connecticutsteel
09-15-2011, 06:20 AM
the best line would be scottLT KemoLG EssexC RG Pouncey GilbertRT

NC Joker
09-15-2011, 06:41 AM
I wonder if they talked to Pouncey before they drafted Gilbert
I'm pretty sure Pouncey could them some idea of what there getting since they probably played a little together at Florida. I think we may have found a diamond in the rougg. If I'm wrong I want y'all to ride me for thinking this.

Root4Stlrs
09-15-2011, 09:28 AM
I'm pretty sure Pouncey could them some idea of what there getting since they probably played a little together at Florida. I think we may have found a diamond in the rougg. If I'm wrong I want y'all to ride me for thinking this.

Yes they did and Pouncey has talked about that. It sounds as if he lobbied for them to draft Gilbert. Then when Gilbert didn't sho up to camp in the best of shape, Pouncey had to get on him and tell him to gro up.

LatrobePA
09-15-2011, 09:29 AM
I'm Gilberts biggest fan this week, step up son!!

BlitzburghRockCity
09-15-2011, 02:41 PM
I'm pretty sure Pouncey could them some idea of what there getting since they probably played a little together at Florida. I think we may have found a diamond in the rough. If I'm wrong I want y'all to ride me for thinking this.

I remember them talking about how Pouncey gave a good review of Marcus Gilbert and said he'd be a good addition to the team. Anytime they can get recent experience about how a player is in game situations that always helps.

Scott Brown from the Trib was talking yesterday about how Flozell is probably looking for somewhere around 3 million to come back this year. They talked to his agent on Monday briefly and I'm sure if it comes down it the team will cough up the cash to get him in.

HUNT4SEVEN
09-15-2011, 04:40 PM
The cap won't be a problem this year for signing a LT and that's cool, but i believe they will be 20 million over the cap next year, so we need to get our young players some game time experience this year, because we should not have to go from contender to rebuilding mode with the young talent we have...

Per Jerry Micco:$20 million over the cap for 2012, you may see some housecleaning next season. Ward, Smith, Clark, Farrior. Unfortunate because those guys have given a lot over the years, but I don't see how they keep all of these guys and get the youngsters ready to play. It's always nice to have the veterans and would be great to keep them, but at some point, you have to move on. I think 2012 is the year you may see that

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11257/1174593-139-0.stm?cmpid=steelers.xml#ixzz1Y3H5aLEb

BlitzburghRockCity
09-15-2011, 07:23 PM
The Steelers will likely be able to free up space from retiring players anyways. I don't see them doing massive amounts of house cleaning. They can restructure deals with many big time players to free up space just like this year.