PDA

View Full Version : Passing against Steelers secondary more troublesome

NC Joker
09-14-2011, 08:52 AM
Is it me or is everyone tired of opposing quaterbacks in this league looking like Peyton Manning and Tom Brady agianst our secondary. Don't get me wrong I love our secondary , and the defense as a whole but the way Dick has the front 7 play aggressive he needs to apply that to the other 4. I know we run a lot of zone blitz schemes and you have the corners sitting back 12 to 15 yards but what the use whe you still see McFadden trailing Anquan Boldin on a long TD pass. Please some one tell Dick to run some man coverage and let that secondary play aggressive...

chisteeler
09-14-2011, 09:12 AM
Yes, It's you.

lol...seriously, I think we're all fed up with how our secondary gets carved like a Thanksgiving turkey!

TampaSteelGirl
09-14-2011, 11:34 AM
I don't love our secondary....not at all. :evilshake:

To me this is one position that a team can not afford to just "duck tape" it together and it be fine!

Rampage
09-14-2011, 12:42 PM
I e-mailed the Steelers yesterday asking them if I could get a chance to play in the secondary. I told them I am slow and can't cover, but they are still giving me a tryout!

HUNT4SEVEN
09-14-2011, 03:38 PM
It's time to give the young guys some game time experience seriously enough is enough, i'm not saying give up on this years team, but it's time to let these young guys get some much needed game experience in...I believe it is scheme related also, since our schemes are so complicated maybe they need to simplify it so the young guys can get on the field faster...

STEELyourface
09-14-2011, 03:45 PM
I e-mailed the Steelers yesterday asking them if I could get a chance to play in the secondary. I told them I am slow and can't cover, but they are still giving me a tryout!

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: :lol::lol::lol::lol:

I'm doing some homework right now that is pissing me off, that REALLY helped!!

I thought you were gonna say you emailed them and complained and then I spit out my soda as I kept reading.

oh and i love your quote and nice avatar, the critic huh? how random. i liked that show.

LatrobePA
09-14-2011, 03:53 PM
If I were a team with a decent QB I'd love playing us!!

Black@Gold Forever32
09-14-2011, 04:08 PM
and yet the only WR to catch a pass for the Ravens was Boldin with 4.........To me the front 7 was a bigger issue then the secondary Sunday.....The run defense sucked which was a huge surprise and our LB's were owned in coverage.......

People busting on McFadden for the TD is funny.....Flacco made a perfect throw and Boldin made an awesome catch....McFadden had nice coverage on the play.............

LatrobePA
09-14-2011, 04:12 PM
Bmac had perfect coverage, it was a perfectly thrown ball from Jacco!

Black@Gold Forever32
09-14-2011, 04:17 PM
Trust me the secondary is far from perfect but when your defenses front 7 is owned like the Steelers were on Sunday there is very little a secondary can do......Factor in Boldin was the only WR to catch a pass then I think the secondary was actually the only unit on the D that gets a passing grade......The Steelers front 7 must dominate the line of scrimmage and really with the money given to most in that front 7 those chumps better start kicking some ***.........

Blazedby92
09-14-2011, 04:29 PM
Didn't need to pass when they ran at will but team as a whole is to blame cause defense can't stop everything when your on the field all day

STEELyourface
09-14-2011, 05:08 PM
Trust me the secondary is far from perfect but when your defenses front 7 is owned like the Steelers were on Sunday there is very little a secondary can do......Factor in Boldin was the only WR to catch a pass then I think the secondary was actually the only unit on the D that gets a passing grade......The Steelers front 7 must dominate the line of scrimmage and really with the money given to most in that front 7 those chumps better start kicking some ***.........

Ya, that is what I thought too. I think it is almost habit for people to bust on the secondary at this point. The success of our D rests entirely on the ability to get pressure (not necessarily sacks) on the QB. BMAC had PERFECT coverage on that TD and anyone who is complaining about that is blind or doesn't know football (sorry it's true).

None of that means our secondary issues are solved by any means but considering only 1 WR had catches and the amount of time they had to be covered our secondary cannot be blamed for this game. I also want to add, considering the SEVEN turnovers and the fact that only 18 points resulted from those, our D gave the appearance of being worse than they actually were.

I know it doesn't work like this but adjust for those factors and it was 17-7 which is a much more normal Steelers/ravens final score. All reasons, I have said all along not to freak out. Still, the TOs happened, they scored 35 and it was ugly, but no need to panic.

TampaSteelGirl
09-14-2011, 05:43 PM

Yes I do agree here 100% however you need that "insurance policy" in a secondary IMO..we just/won't have that unless Dick makes some drastic changes. Like i've said for months....Im sorry but you CANT put Gay out deep, he's just not working out. I just don't understand how many more chances he needs to prove himself...how many more times does he need to get burnt before Dick yanks the chain...Put the new CBs in there and see how they do...They can't be any worse then Willie IMO. Also why not give some of other young blood a chance on and off to confuse the offense a bit in the front 7...Not saying yank the starters but mix and match a bit..I don't know Im a dumb girl but it kind of makes sense to me.... :grin1:

Root4Stlrs
09-14-2011, 06:15 PM
Ya, that is what I thought too. I think it is almost habit for people to bust on the secondary at this point. The success of our D rests entirely on the ability to get pressure (not necessarily sacks) on the QB. BMAC had PERFECT coverage on that TD and anyone who is complaining about that is blind or doesn't know football (sorry it's true).

None of that means our secondary issues are solved by any means but considering only 1 WR had catches and the amount of time they had to be covered our secondary cannot be blamed for this game. I also want to add, considering the SEVEN turnovers and the fact that only 18 points resulted from those, our D gave the appearance of being worse than they actually were.

I know it doesn't work like this but adjust for those factors and it was 17-7 which is a much more normal Steelers/ravens final score. All reasons, I have said all along not to freak out. Still, the TOs happened, they scored 35 and it was ugly, but no need to panic.

I'm totally with you guys on this one. I said when Boldin made the catch that BMac's coverage wasn't bad. In terms of secondary, what I saw was Troy making no "splash" plays and Ryan Clark missing tackles. I didn't think the corners were that bad. I could be wrong and would like to hear examples, other than that TD of where the corners played so badly on Sunday. There was ZERO pressure on Flacco. That was the biggest issue, along with inability of DL to get off blocks and make tackles as well as LBs not able to cover Rice out of the backfield. :imho:

Thisoneguy555
09-14-2011, 06:45 PM
What ticks me off is we have a hall of fame defensive back as the defensive coordinator and a very good defensive back coach (when Tomlin was in Tampa, that defensive backfield was sound) as the head coach. Yet the defensive backfield is the weakest point on the Steelers defense. It blows my mind.

Nolrog
09-14-2011, 07:20 PM
What ticks me off is we have a hall of fame defensive back as the defensive coordinator and a very good defensive back coach (when Tomlin was in Tampa, that defensive backfield was sound) as the head coach. Yet the defensive backfield is the weakest point on the Steelers defense. It blows my mind.

They can't turn poop into gold.

Rampage
09-14-2011, 07:28 PM

I've turned my poop gold by eating a lot of cheese before.

Thisoneguy555
09-14-2011, 07:32 PM

Then clean up the poop and bring in something better. But I feel like the schemes are the problem. Playing a corner backs 10 yards away from the line of scrimmage on 2nd and short doesn't make any sense.

NC Joker
09-15-2011, 02:46 AM
I was not really talking about the game in general Sunday. I'm talking about in.recent years. If you can change the offense to a balanced attack from run heavy offense then I'm sure you can change the secondary and let those boys play more aggressive.

Dobre Shunka
09-15-2011, 03:19 AM
They were in man cover when TDs were scored. The front couldn't stop anything, JH is not up to par, and there was little to no pressure on Waco Flacco. Give a QB time and good wideouts and tada_disaster strikes.

The coverage wasn't as bad as the rest if the play was in that game. They all stunk it up and we just need to chalk it up to a bad game and move on with this one. It's been a decade or more since we had a bad game like that one.

DanRooney
09-15-2011, 07:11 AM
Peyton Manning isn't good against the Steelers. He isn't good against 3-4 teams. Its amazing how many people overrate this guy.

cmerrifield
09-15-2011, 09:17 AM
Peyton Manning isn't good against the Steelers. He isn't good against 3-4 teams. Its amazing how many people overrate this guy.

Manning is the hardest working QB in the NFL. He also has never had a good OC or really a great Head Coach. I feel the same for Manning as I do for Big Ben. He really needs an OC who will challenge him and force him to get better and see things from different perspectives. Neither QB has had that and I think its hurt both of them. Manning is a great QB, but unfortunately for him, he is the only player coach in the NFL and that has hurt him. Before I get killed on the forum, I would still chose Big Ben. :tt02:

TampaSteelGirl
09-15-2011, 10:54 AM
Manning is the hardest working QB in the NFL. He also has never had a good OC or really a great Head Coach. I feel the same for Manning as I do for Big Ben. He really needs an OC who will challenge him and force him to get better and see things from different perspectives. Neither QB has had that and I think its hurt both of them. Manning is a great QB, but unfortunately for him, he is the only player coach in the NFL and that has hurt him. Before I get killed on the forum, I would still chose Big Ben. :tt02:

I actually agree with you...Not a Peyton fan but he is a very hard working QB..but just hasn't had a coach to get him what he needs

STEELyourface
09-15-2011, 04:52 PM

I totally get what you are saying. It is almost like Ben is too comfortable with the offensive scheme and could be challenged by having to learn something new thus improving his game, making him an even more dangerous QB. The same could be said for Manning too, sure!

It isn't that they aren't great and don't work hard, it is just that anyone can get better especially when confronted with different perspective(s). People learn more when they are out of their comfort zone by nature, so why wouldn't that translate to the football field?

Sorry, I'm not trying to put words in your mouth so if that is not at all what you were saying feel free to correct me, but that is what I took from what you said.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-17-2011, 10:51 AM

You should know by now there are plenty of people that know Ben can get better, LOL.

Manning is a throwback QB. He is virtually a second offensive coordinator. He calls his own plays, he has no equal on the team and almost none in the entire league.

Ben is an outstanding QB, he can make plays that literally nobody else can make on a regular basis. His abilities are second to none. However I agree that he needs an OC that doesn't cater to his every whim. It's the same old offense every game, every year. No game planning for teams weaknesses. No exploiting a defense because of what your QB can do. Tomlin doesn't see this though, all he sees how the team wins. We've all said countless times that the Steelers win inspite of it's offensive coordinator, not because of it.

RIVERS OF STEEL
09-17-2011, 11:24 AM
Ben is not thinking outside the box. Either he can't figure it out or he is not allowed to. But, he should. Just like Blitz said. Feel like your watching the same old movie. It had better change this Sunday.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-18-2011, 10:06 PM
Did the secondary redeem themselves today vs the Seahawks? I don't know that I'd say they played well, but they did Tackle much, much better today and that's atleast 1 positive we can take from them.

Nolrog
09-19-2011, 07:25 AM
Did the secondary redeem themselves today vs the Seahawks? I don't know that I'd say they played well, but they did Tackle much, much better today and that's atleast 1 positive we can take from them.

No, they did not redeem themselves. Not against the Seahawks. Played better, no question. Made some strides, you betcha. But they aren't a powerhouse team where I can breathe easy because the secondary played better.

NC Joker
10-30-2011, 09:24 PM
Is it me or is everyone tired of opposing quaterbacks in this league looking like Peyton Manning and Tom Brady agianst our secondary. Don't get me wrong I love our secondary , and the defense as a whole but the way Dick has the front 7 play aggressive he needs to apply that to the other 4. I know we run a lot of zone blitz schemes and you have the corners sitting back 12 to 15 yards but what the use whe you still see McFadden trailing Anquan Boldin on a long TD pass. Please some one tell Dick to run some man coverage and let that secondary play aggressive...

I just thought I would bring this post back from earlier this season

Stairwayto7
10-30-2011, 09:32 PM
Considering all the weapons that pats have they did a damn good job today. Dont forget that we had only one LB playing his normal position and then when Woodly went down we had no lb at their position!

Farrior Fan
10-30-2011, 09:38 PM
I cannot believe how our secondary has played this year. Kinda shows you what fresh blood in the secondary coach can make.

harpo
10-30-2011, 09:57 PM
I think the addition of Carnell Lake as the DB coach has a lot to do with the improvement of the secondary.:yellowthumb:

LatrobePA
10-30-2011, 10:21 PM
Do they use this press type D next week against the rats?