PDA

View Full Version : Bill Leavy to referee Seahawks at Steelers Sunday

jpele
09-13-2011, 02:25 PM
This shouldn't have any bearing on the game:

The same referee who officiated Seattle's controversial Super Bowl loss to the Pittsburgh Steelers has been assigned to Sunday's game when Seattle plays at Pittsburgh.

Referee Bill Leavy has been assigned to officiate Seattle's Week 2 game, which is at Pittsburgh. Leavy was the referee at Super Bowl XL, which included several controversial penalties.

Leavy admitted last year, in talking to Seattle-area reporters during training camp, that mistakes had been made.

Full story (http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/seahawksblog/2016185620_billleavytorefereeseahawksatsteelerssun day.html)

connecticutsteel
09-13-2011, 02:34 PM
Man that game was like 110 years ago

LatrobePA
09-13-2011, 02:36 PM
I've got better things to worry about...lol

TampaSteelGirl
09-13-2011, 02:42 PM
Well it's better than Ed Hockulee IMO...hate that guy!:rant2:

Rampage
09-13-2011, 02:43 PM
Seattle, lol

They should stick to what they're good at: Playing rock, doing heroin and messing with shotguns.

SteelDad
09-13-2011, 02:54 PM
While I agree it SHOULD be a non-issue, here's the problem... The guy openly admitted to Seattle that he "made mistakes" in SBXL. You cannot tell me that human nature will not factor into this game and that he'll make at least one horribly atrocious call against us. Count on it. Let's hope the game is out of reach though and we're kicking some ***.

Nolrog
09-13-2011, 07:15 PM
Coming from a Seattle newspaper. I knew that without looking at the link.

Thisoneguy555
09-13-2011, 07:43 PM
While I agree it SHOULD be a non-issue, here's the problem... The guy openly admitted to Seattle that he "made mistakes" in SBXL. You cannot tell me that human nature will not factor into this game and that he'll make at least one horribly atrocious call against us. Count on it. Let's hope the game is out of reach though and we're kicking some ***.

True.... Steelers played the Seahawks in 2007, Steelers won 21-0. If this guy wants to get an atrocious call out of the way against the Steelers, it'll be when the game is close and the Steelers need to pick up a 1st down or something.

Speeed
09-13-2011, 09:52 PM
Man that game was like 110 years ago

Which means his sense are that much sharper...

Root4Stlrs
09-13-2011, 10:08 PM
It shouldn't have any bearing on the game, but I agree about the human nature angle. He was extremely unprofessional, IMO, to make those comments to the media about the game. He was just kowtowing to the media and fans in Seattle. What a wuss.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-13-2011, 10:37 PM
Seattle fans will never stop griping about that game. It's long gone, get over it. Leave it to the NFL to make a story about this after so many years. If we let this game come down the officials then we don't deserve to win.

STEELyourface
09-13-2011, 11:02 PM
Really? This is what we are going to do now, start complaining about officials BEFORE we even play the game??? C'mon man! He is not going to make a questionable call to favor a team who's GM, franchise QB, starting RB, WRs, coaches, and half the damn team in general are not even there anymore. NOWAY a referee has an affect on the outcome of this game.

Root4Stlrs
09-13-2011, 11:09 PM
Really? This is what we are going to do now, start complaining about officials BEFORE we even play the game??? C'mon man! He is not going to make a questionable call to favor a team who's GM, franchise QB, starting RB, WRs, coaches, and half the damn team in general are not even there anymore. NOWAY a referee has an affect on the outcome of this game.

I'm not "complaining" about the reffing of the game ahead of time. I didn't hear anybody saying that. I am just saying that I think he was unprofessional to make those comments - it has nothing to do with complaining. It is stating an opinion. It makes me lack faith in his ability to make tough calls if he can't avoid "mea culpa mea culpa" to the fans and media. They were not obvious mistakes - they were judgment calls and he didn't have the guts to stand behind them.

STEELyourface
09-13-2011, 11:14 PM
I'm not "complaining" about the reffing of the game ahead of time. I didn't hear anybody saying that. I am just saying that I think he was unprofessional to make those comments - it has nothing to do with complaining. It is stating an opinion. It makes me lack faith in his ability to make tough calls if he can't avoid "mea culpa mea culpa" to the fans and media. They were not obvious mistakes - they were judgment calls and he didn't have the guts to stand behind them.

I agree it was unprofessional of him. He should have stood behind his call and I didn't point to any one person but someone said he WILL make a call against us on purpose and that is what caused me to post what I did.

The statement made was something along the lines of "you can't tell me that human nature won't factor in and will cause him to make a horribly attrocious call against us. Couunt on it."

That tells me that at least one person is pre-complaining about the refs.

Root4Stlrs
09-13-2011, 11:18 PM
I agree it was unprofessional of him. He should have stood behind his call and I didn't point to any one person but someone said he WILL make a call against us on purpose and that is what caused me to post what I did.

Sorry, this is my first chance to vent about the game so I am a little sensitive. I don't think he will make a call on purpose - but he's human and maybe that will creep in at judgment time. Overall I think refs are guys who do a good job in a fast-paced environment. I had no opinion about the man at all until he made the comments about the game while he was speaking IN SEATTLE!!

STEELyourface
09-13-2011, 11:22 PM
Sorry, this is my first chance to vent about the game so I am a little sensitive. I don't think he will make a call on purpose - but he's human and maybe that will creep in at judgment time. Overall I think refs are guys who do a good job in a fast-paced environment. I had no opinion about the man at all until he made the comments about the game while he was speaking IN SEATTLE!!

No, it's totally cool dude. thanks for the apology. I totally understand the concern and it could very well happen, I'm just saying let's not even go there. After all the whining about how no one ever talks about the steelers on tv and phil simms hates us I really cannot stand the thought of bitching about a referee, let alone 5 days before the game is even played. When the hell did steeler fans become a bunch of pansy-*** whiny crybabies?? I thought that was reserved for people that support teams in the state of ohio...... or should I say Pennsylvania West with our recent domination of those teams?

I mean, it is true tv doesn't talk about us much (so what?) and maybe simms doesn't like us (so what?). I just don't know when that began to matter to steeler fans.

Root4Stlrs
09-13-2011, 11:28 PM
No, it's totally cool dude. thanks for the apology. I totally understand the concern and it could very well happen, I'm just saying let's not even go there. After all the whining about how no one ever talks about the steelers on tv and phil simms hates us I really cannot stand the thought of bitching about a referee, let alone 5 days before the game is even played. When the hell did steeler fans become a bunch of pansy-*** whiny crybabies?? I thought that was reserved for people that support teams in the state of ohio...... or should I say Pennsylvania West with our recent domination of those teams?

LOL I'm just glad they aren't talking about us now. I would be just as happy not to hear anything about last week-end's game. BTW I hate whining - that is one reason I was ticked at Leavy feeding into all the whining by the Sea Chickens fans.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-14-2011, 02:45 PM
This game isn't going to be real high on the priority list of the NFL so they are trying to find ways to get some story lines going for it.

When the schedule makers created this game, everybody knew it wasn't going to be high profile. So why not put Leavy in as the official to stir the pot and get the fans something to talk about.

STEELyourface
09-14-2011, 02:50 PM
This game isn't going to be real high on the priority list of the NFL so they are trying to find ways to get some story lines going for it.

When the schedule makers created this game, everybody knew it wasn't going to be high profile. So why not put Leavy in as the official to stir the pot and get the fans something to talk about.

AH, the conspiracy theorist angle, I like it. I do believe that the NFL is simultaneously dumb enough and smart enough to take that into consideration!

I do not believe however we should buy into it or fall into the trap by discussing it. However, here I am doing just that :lol: really though, only in an attempt to shut it down.

steelersbabex25
09-14-2011, 06:45 PM

I mean, it is true tv doesn't talk about us much (so what?) and maybe simms doesn't like us (so what?). I just don't know when that began to matter to steeler fans.

Dude, it's a forum. That's the kind of **** that every fanbase talks about on forums. Nobody is actually going home and crying themselves to sleep at night because Simms doesn't like the Steelers.

Rampage
09-14-2011, 07:06 PM

Don't know 'bout you, but I spray painted my tinfoil hat black and gold for this game.

:nahnah: :lol:

STEELyourface
09-14-2011, 08:51 PM
Dude, it's a forum. That's the kind of **** that every fanbase talks about on forums. Nobody is actually going home and crying themselves to sleep at night because Simms doesn't like the Steelers.

I didn't think anyone was actually truly hurt about it. I was making a point. I have been a part of several forums and followed this one for several years before actually joining it. Steeler fans are some of the most intelligent fans in the league when it comes to Xs and Os as well as taking their job as fans seriously creating a home field advantage. Western Pa in general is an area of the country that knows as much about football as anywhere.

I was just saying I'm not used to hearing so much concern about what is going on with the steelers and that has seemed to branch out to things that really don't matter. I realize not everyone on here is from Western Pa but they are steeler fans and in general intelligent fans.

Rampage
09-14-2011, 09:30 PM
I cut myself at night because of Simms.

steelersbabex25
09-14-2011, 09:41 PM
I cut myself at night because of Simms.

I stand corrected.

STEELyourface
09-14-2011, 09:48 PM
I stand corrected.

See! and you thought it wasn't serious :lol:

I mean, I get it and I know everyone was just venting. I know other teams' fans bitch about that kind of stuff, but just like the Steelers aren't your typical franchise-
Steeler fans aren't your typical fans. We aren't reduced to caring about what other people think about us and worrying about the petty stuff cause our team actually wins! I guess I was just saying we're better than that. But it's cool I fully agree simms is a toolio! It was really more about complaining about a referee before he even had a chance to screw something up too, that was more my point. sorry

and rampage, that is about the 2nd or 3rd time you've made me laugh really hard today so thanks again!