PDA

View Full Version : Phil Simms is unbearable

Destossel
09-12-2011, 12:42 AM
Dont get me wrong....there was little to be said that was good today about the Steelers but Phil bringing up mendenhall's tweet about 9/11 was just in awful taste on the 10th anniversary of the tragedy. Yes Mendenhall did it so deserves his lumps but seriously why bring it up on 9/11 ? Its not good for football and just makes Phil look self righteous to me. I find him utterly unprofessional. I dont mind disagreeing with his view but he is always anti pittsburgh and it is just too annoying to endure.

STEELyourface
09-12-2011, 12:59 AM
I'll have to agree with you on that, it was in bad taste. I didn't agree with what mendy had said, but he has the right to say it. Furthermore, anyone who took the time to go to his website and actually read what he was trying to say would be more understanding about his actual point. Using twitter to talk about something like that was a poor choice on mendy's part, correct me if I'm wrong but twitter only lets you say things in like 140 characters (or something close to that) and you really can't get to in depth in that short a space. I felt simms could've mentioned that part of it too, I thought.

I have noticed today pretty much everyone saying he is super anti steelers. I can honestly say I have never noticed that. I always thought he was just that bad at his job more so than not liking us. He is self righteous though, for sure. He never misses the opportunity to bring up something about himself or his playing career, which bugs me the most about him. I was shocked it took him until mid 3rd qtr to do so today.

I was ok with (most) of his praising flacco today though cause he did deserve it but I didn't attribute any of that part to being anti steelers, again, I just always thought that is how bad he is at being an announcer.

Thisoneguy555
09-12-2011, 01:01 AM
He used to have a big man crush on Ben, he still does, I didn't find him being too hard on Pittsburgh.

I think people should just not care, what they say wont change the outcome of the game in anyway. No reason to get upset over something a washed up quarterback said. Or anything anyone says about the Steelers.

I find it annoying how when a commentator says something good about the other team, that people rush to say they are anti-pittsburgh. I bet you there are Ravens fans who thought he was anti-baltimore. It's your point of view.

Destossel
09-12-2011, 01:08 AM
I dunno. I have no problems with Collinsworth and a lot of ppl dislike his style. Simms just says the most ridiculous things. He about ruined inside the nfl 2 years ago. He calmed down a bit last year. He was not as much anti- steeler today as he was in poor taste about the twitter stuff. It serves no purpose and just makes football look bad. Again, Spindenhall made the statements and i certainly dont defend him but bringing it up today made Simms look as bad as some thought Mendenhall was.

Real Deal Steel
09-12-2011, 01:18 AM
Phil's been a bitter man since he kid couldn't cut it in the NFL.

STEELyourface
09-12-2011, 01:24 AM
He used to have a big man crush on Ben, he still does, I didn't find him being too hard on Pittsburgh.

I think people should just not care, what they say wont change the outcome of the game in anyway. No reason to get upset over something a washed up quarterback said. Or anything anyone says about the Steelers.

I find it annoying how when a commentator says something good about the other team, that people rush to say they are anti-pittsburgh. I bet you there are Ravens fans who thought he was anti-baltimore. It's your point of view.

I agree with you fully on this. It isn't just steeler fans though, damn near every fan takes a compliment of another team/player as criticizism or anti-their team/player.

I dunno. I have no problems with Collinsworth and a lot of ppl dislike his style. Simms just says the most ridiculous things. He about ruined inside the nfl 2 years ago. He calmed down a bit last year. He was not as much anti- steeler today as he was in poor taste about the twitter stuff. It serves no purpose and just makes football look bad. Again, Spindenhall made the statements and i certainly dont defend him but bringing it up today made Simms look as bad as some thought Mendenhall was.

I agree with you fully too. I wasn't saying that simms isn't anti-steeler I was just saying I never noticed it and I think he is just negative for the most part in general. I always found collinsworth to be way to negative too, but ever since he took madden's place I feel like he has improved.

I have never enjoyed simms as a commentator period. plus i always enjoyed the fact that parcells stayed with jeff hostetler after simms got hurt in the 90-91 season! I think that may be where his bitterness began!

Deviouz1
09-12-2011, 04:12 AM
i dont give a sparrows fart in a typhoon whether he likes a team or not, i dont care if he hates the steelers, but if he's gonna say something, the least the idiot could do is say something that is accurate. he could have gone on all day about how badly we were being stomped and i would be unable to disagree with him or take issue with anything he said because he would be right. but for the twat to sit there and spew load after load of utter bullshit, completely unashamed and in effect look down his nose at us for things that didnt even fkn happen? and then ignore the same thing from the other side? that kind of blatant douchebaggery just makes me want to get straight up violent, Jack Lambert style.

he always kind of annoyed me before today but i could never really put my finger on why. now i know, its that self-righteous snobbishness coming from someone who, in all likelihood never even got laid until after he was drafted into the nfl. theres nothing quite like the gold-diggers who are just itching to wrap their legs around THAT paycheck.

before i hit the "post" button i decided to do a little research on ole Philly. i was totally joking about the gold digger comment but as it turns out, it seems i wasnt far from the mark. in her own words:

"It was runway modeling--designer show lines and all that," she said of her first career. "I loved it because it was a fast way to good money. But after I met Phil, well, I don't think he'd care to be married to a working girl."

thats right barbie, set your genders independence back 50 years or so with that gem. another thing i found that i didnt already know is that phil was one seriously fragile little bitch. during his 14 year career he played a total of FOUR full seasons, got benched( ie; lost the starting job) multiple times due to poor performance, and at one point "won" his starting job back because hostetler broke his freakin back. lol. i NEVER want to hear him talk about anyone else's durability or consistency. Roller-coaster Phil "Glass Joe" Simms doesnt have the right to.

SteelDad
09-12-2011, 07:36 AM
The problem with Simms yesterday was his overwhelming joy in seeing our demise. He actually praised Flacco for getting sacked. Any Ravens penalty was a bad call while every steelers non-call was atrocious. These types of things are amplified when we are getting killed, but he was over the top yesterday.

Troyisabeast_43
09-12-2011, 08:02 AM
Ive said this before and Ill say it again the Steelers never ever play well in the regular season when Jim Nantz and Phil Simms call their games. Dont know why that is the case but they are something like 4-19 with them calling their games in the regular season going back to 2005. They do well with them in the playoffs but in the regular season when these two do Steelers games the Steelers lose and play bad.

MattyVfromCT
09-12-2011, 08:14 AM
The problem with Simms yesterday was his overwhelming joy in seeing our demise. He actually praised Flacco for getting sacked. Any Ravens penalty was a bad call while every steelers non-call was atrocious. These types of things are amplified when we are getting killed, but he was over the top yesterday.

Not to mention he was praising and practically cheering any call that went against us......

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

LatrobePA
09-12-2011, 08:22 AM
I had to wash my ears out after listening to these suck off joe flacco duo!

Lunchbucket
09-12-2011, 09:43 AM
As I said in another post,When Simms does one of our games,turn OFF the sound and listen to Billy,Tunch, and Wolf on the radio.A simple solution to his stupidity.

STEELyourface
09-12-2011, 10:05 AM
As I said in another post,When Simms does one of our games,turn OFF the sound and listen to Billy,Tunch, and Wolf on the radio.A simple solution to his stupidity.

Problem is, at least for me, the sound doesn't match up with the tv when you do that. When I was growing up and lived in the area we would always turn the volume on the tv down and listen to Myron Cope do the games and the sound was perfectly matched up.

madtowndrunkard
09-12-2011, 10:13 AM
Dont get me wrong....there was little to be said that was good today about the Steelers but Phil bringing up mendenhall's tweet about 9/11 was just in awful taste on the 10th anniversary of the tragedy. Yes Mendenhall did it so deserves his lumps but seriously why bring it up on 9/11 ? Its not good for football and just makes Phil look self righteous to me. I find him utterly unprofessional. I dont mind disagreeing with his view but he is always anti pittsburgh and it is just too annoying to endure.

Yea that was a clear attempt to attack Mendy and the steelers. Not that I disagree with what Simms said...but it had no place on the 10th anniversary of 9/11. None at all. Especially the way he said it.... Mendy had no chance of rebuttle to defend him self. Simms took advantage of the high emotions of this day and just slammed Mendy with out really stating the facts or Mendy's response. He just hung him in front of millions of people on national tv on a day of national mourning.

IMO Simms should be suspended for his lack of professionalism. No excuse. That boat had sailed.... the whole mendy comment thing had already been beated to death. If it still bothered Simms he could have chose to have that commentary on a different day.

Lunchbucket
09-12-2011, 10:23 AM
Problem is, at least for me, the sound doesn't match up with the tv when you do that. When I was growing up and lived in the area we would always turn the volume on the tv down and listen to Myron Cope do the games and the sound was perfectly matched up.

Yea you got a point there,and it can be aggravating at times,(not sure why the radio broadcast is not in sync?).........but I'd rather put up with that than listen to Homer Simms Son and his great big opinion of himself.At least Tunch and Wolf have a sense of humor......I miss Myron.

Rampage
09-12-2011, 11:00 AM
I heard that Simms was rushed to the emergency room for severely rug burned knees after being on his in front of Flacco and Harbaugh for the entire game.

steelchamp204
09-12-2011, 11:32 AM
As soon as I heard Simms voice starting the game, first thing I said to my dad was "****ing Simms" I cant stand listening to ANY of his games.

LatrobePA
09-12-2011, 11:40 AM
I heard that Simms was rushed to the emergency room for severely rug burned knees after being on his in front of Flacco and Harbaugh for the entire game.

No kidding, I came close to stabbing my eardrums out with a pencil!!

steelersbabex25
09-12-2011, 12:21 PM
Everyone saying he's not anti-Steelers...are you KIDDING me?! He's as anti Steelers as it gets. Every call against the Steelers was a good one, every call against the Ravens was a bad one. Everytime he has the chance to bring up something bad about the Steelers, he does that. He praises Flacco like there is no tomorrow. Like SteelDad said, when Flacco got sacked, I think he said something along the lines of, "that was a good play by Flacco." Nothing about the good play by the Steelers, but, "that was good for Flacco to take that sack." Are you serious?! He gets sacked and you still find a way to praise him? On the Steelers first (and only) touchdown, he said it was played PERFECTLY by the Baltimore defense. Not anything about Ben or his receivers buying time, but how spectacular Baltimore's defense played on that drive. Yeah Phil, they were phenomenal, until they allowed a touchdown!

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm no conspiracy theorist. I don't think everyone and their mother are out to get the Steelers. Games on Fox or NBC, I can handle perfectly well. But everytime Phil Simms opens his mouth, I want to get in my car, go to a gun shop, buy the biggest gun that I can afford, and shoot him in the face.

Whew. That felt good to get off my chest. Carry on...

LatrobePA
09-12-2011, 12:26 PM
But everytime Phil Simms opens his mouth, I want to get in my car, go to a gun shop, buy the biggest gun that I can afford, and shoot him in the face.

You're one crazy chick, man! lol

Destossel
09-12-2011, 04:20 PM
Hell i remember a game last year when pb was killing a team and they had shut the teams offense down completely. At halftime Simms said that the opposing team "have the steelers exactly where they want them." it was unreal. If I can figure out what game it was i am so posting that clip.

LatrobePA
09-12-2011, 04:22 PM
Hell i remember a game last year when pb was killing a team and they had shut the teams offense down completely. At halftime Simms said that the opposing team "have the steelers exactly where they want them." it was unreal. If I can figure out what game it was i am so posting that clip.

I remember it...He's a dickwad!

STEELyourface
09-12-2011, 04:48 PM
There is NO denying that he is not a good commentator. I have ALWAYS thought he wasn't any good, but at some point this just sounds like sour grapes. I'm not above blasting a guy and don't think myself to be better than anyone, but hell you guys give it a rest. I honestly think he isn't THAT anti-pitt. I just think he is bad. I've watched games he announces that the Steelers don't play and he is just as bad in those games too. His comments just don't make sense but that is across the board not just when we are playing. Overall, I find the CBS announcers to be better than the other networks, but I don't understand why they have Simms as part of their #1 commentating team.

I do know that basically every fan base thinks the announcers are anti-their team. I've watched many games with fans of opposing teams when the Steelers are playing and Simms is doing the game and they are like, "could this dude be any more in the bag for pittsburgh?" I think it is just perspective/point-of-view and yesterday probably seemed worse because we were getting beat down.

A couple things I noticed and hear me out before you just dismiss this:

1. He did talk about the coverage being perfect when we scored the TD. I thought what he was getting at was that was a great play by our O and is just so bad at his job he didn't clearly state that or finish his point.

2. Saying the sack on flacco was a good play by him. I thought he was simply saying better than forcing a throw and wind up with an INT.

I have NO REASON to defend the guy and I DON"T like him either, but not everything is an attack on our team. I don't know what the hell he was talking about with the 2 holding calls (1 on us 1 on them) though, that made NO sense to me and again I point out that he just isn't good at his job.

Obviously you guys have pointed out multiple games that he has said anti-pitt things but I don't necessarily think that means he has it out for us. Maybe he really does but I honestly don't see it that way I just think he sucks. You can tell when the announcers are total homers, like when local guys do the preseason games they just televise the home team announcers nationally or when you are watching college and the game is on that particular teams network. Those announcers are clearly homers and much, much, much worse than what simms is from a favoring one team standpoint.

LatrobePA
09-12-2011, 04:50 PM
There is NO denying that he is not a good commentator. I have ALWAYS thought he wasn't any good, but at some point this just sounds like sour grapes. I'm not above blasting a guy and don't think myself to be better than anyone, but hell you guys give it a rest. I honestly think he isn't THAT anti-pitt. I just think he is bad. I've watched games he announces that the Steelers don't play and he is just as bad in those games too. His comments just don't make sense but that is across the board not just when we are playing. Overall, I find the CBS announcers to be better than the other networks, but I don't understand why they have Simms as part of their #1 commentating team.

I do know that basically every fan base thinks the announcers are anti-their team. I've watched many games with fans of opposing teams when the Steelers are playing and Simms is doing the game and they are like, "could this dude be any more in the bag for pittsburgh?" I think it is just perspective/point-of-view and yesterday probably seemed worse because we were getting beat down.

A couple things I noticed and hear me out before you just dismiss this:

1. He did talk about the coverage being perfect when we scored the TD. I thought what he was getting at was that was a great play by our O and is just so bad at his job he didn't clearly state that or finish his point.

2. Saying the sack on flacco was a good play by him. I thought he was simply saying better than forcing a throw and wind up with an INT.

I have NO REASON to defend the guy and I DON"T like him either, but not everything is an attack on our team. I don't know what the hell he was talking about with the 2 holding calls (1 on us 1 on them) though, that made NO sense to me and again I point out that he just isn't good at his job.

Obviously you guys have pointed out multiple games that he has said anti-pitt things but I don't necessarily think that means he has it out for us. Maybe he really does but I honestly don't see it that way I just think he sucks. You can tell when the announcers are total homers, like when local guys do the preseason games they just televise the home team announcers nationally or when you are watching college and the game is on that particular teams network. Those announcers are clearly homers and much, much, much worse than what simms is from a favoring one team standpoint.

He's a worthless dick no sense in defending him..lol

STEELyourface
09-12-2011, 04:56 PM
He's a worthless dick no sense in defending him..lol

I wasn't defending him just trying to add a little perspective. It seems as everyone thinks he is against their team so he either hates everyone or somebody is over reacting. I wasn't saying that he isn't anti-steelers, just saying it seems to me he is equally as bad regardless of who is playing.

steelersbabex25
09-12-2011, 04:57 PM
You're one crazy chick, man! lol

Only when it comes to football :hehheh:

Rampage
09-12-2011, 06:43 PM
Honestly, I love how people bitch about Joe Buck and Troy Aikman. I would pay $300 per season just to get them for AFC early games instead of Slime and Nancy Boy. At least they talk about good plays and bad plays on both sides of the ball without hugging one team's root over the other.

MattyVfromCT
09-12-2011, 06:52 PM
Honestly, I love how people bitch about Joe Buck and Troy Aikman. I would pay $300 per season just to get them for AFC early games instead of Slime and Nancy Boy. At least they talk about good plays and bad plays on both sides of the ball without hugging one team's root over the other.

cant stand those 2 idiots either especially buck. by far the most boring, unenthusiastic announcer ever. he can make the most exciting play in history sound as exciting as watching paint dry. and with his voice issue this year, completely unlistenable. honestly the only A list broadcast team i like is michaels and collinsworth. a lot of steeler fans hate collinsworth dismissing him as anti-steeler and pro-cincy but i find him to be very fair and al michaels imo is the best play by play man in all of sports.

nantz/simms and buck/aikman are worse than nails on a chalkboard for 3.5 hours straight

steelersbabex25
09-12-2011, 06:53 PM
cant stand those 2 idiots either especially buck. by far the most boring, unenthusiastic announcer ever. he can make the most exciting play in history sound as exciting as watching paint dry. and with his voice issue this year, completely unlistenable. honestly the only A list broadcast team i like is michaels and collinsworth. a lot of steeler fans hate collinsworth dismissing him as anti-steeler and pro-cincy but i find him to be very fair and al michaels imo is the best play by play man in all of sports.

nantz/simms and buck/aikman are worse than nails on a chalkboard for 3.5 hours straight

Yeah, I don't see why people hate Collinsworth so much. I don't mind him at all.

LatrobePA
09-12-2011, 07:00 PM
Big Joe buck sure can....................

Call a ball game!

Rampage
09-12-2011, 07:05 PM

In a straight Simms to Buck comparison, I will take Buck every time. It's one of those "would you rather get kicked in the nuts or punched in the nuts," scenarios for me.

I used to be completely tweaked anytime we had Collinsworth; however, he had improved dramatically since pairing up with Michaels. Better than fatboy, by far. No John, I don't give a **** about where you got fatter eating buffalo wings or tough actin' Tinactin. Talk about football.

Deviouz1
09-12-2011, 07:13 PM
collinsworth is my current favorite. my all time LEAST favorite was when they had dennis miller for a very short period of time. i kind of enjoy some of his comedy but as a football announcer he's just plain terribad.

Rampage
09-12-2011, 07:17 PM
collinsworth is my current favorite. my all time LEAST favorite was when they had dennis miller for a very short period of time. i kind of enjoy some of his comedy but as a football announcer he's just plain terribad.

I loved Miller because I love his sense of humor. Not a good fit for football, though.

STEELyourface
09-12-2011, 07:21 PM
In a straight Simms to Buck comparison, I will take Buck every time. It's one of those "would you rather get kicked in the nuts or punched in the nuts," scenarios for me.

I used to be completely tweaked anytime we had Collinsworth; however, he had improved dramatically since pairing up with Michaels. Better than fatboy, by far. No John, I don't give a **** about where you got fatter eating buffalo wings or tough actin' Tinactin. Talk about football.

I'd take Buck over simms anyday FOR SURE. I don't like Buck much at all though. I just find him to not be good. Aikman isn't bad though. I will say, I like Buck doing baseball games, just not football.

I used to not like Colinsworth just like you said but he has really gotten a lot better and in fact, is really good now I think. I also think Micheals is great.

I actually think my favorite right now for NFL is the Monday Night Crew. Torrico is money on play-by-play. I love Gruden and Jaws both. I think they are both enthusiastic and really know their stuff. They do a ton of homework and are never under prepared.

If I had to pick an all-time favorite I couldn't do it cause there are a lot of people I like and actually if I could take one guy from one crew and put him with another I could form the perfect combo, at least for me. I'm sure we all could if that were the case though.

I really like Herbstreit and Musberger too. I think they are far and away the best crew doing college games. I also think there are more good announcers doing college than there are doing NFL.

A bad announcer can ruin even the best game though.

MattyVfromCT
09-12-2011, 08:12 PM
I'd take Buck over simms anyday FOR SURE. I don't like Buck much at all though. I just find him to not be good. Aikman isn't bad though. I will say, I like Buck doing baseball games, just not football.

I used to not like Colinsworth just like you said but he has really gotten a lot better and in fact, is really good now I think. I also think Micheals is great.

I actually think my favorite right now for NFL is the Monday Night Crew. Torrico is money on play-by-play. I love Gruden and Jaws both. I think they are both enthusiastic and really know their stuff. They do a ton of homework and are never under prepared.

If I had to pick an all-time favorite I couldn't do it cause there are a lot of people I like and actually if I could take one guy from one crew and put him with another I could form the perfect combo, at least for me. I'm sure we all could if that were the case though.

I really like Herbstreit and Musberger too. I think they are far and away the best crew doing college games. I also think there are more good announcers doing college than there are doing NFL.

A bad announcer can ruin even the best game though.

i like the snf duo better than mnf. ron jaworski is so annoying. i would also take buck over simms. i'd deal with the boring guy than the obnoxious anti-steeler moron and his equally bad sidekick who should stick to golf

BlitzburghRockCity
09-12-2011, 08:40 PM
There's nobody right now that I can honestly say I enjoy listening to call the games on any network. I've always liked Al Michaels. I suppose my favorite would have been Al, Frank, and Dan from the old MNF days.

Honestly I'd rather here Tunch, Wolf, and Bill on the Steelers radio network anyda.

Destossel
09-12-2011, 09:27 PM
Exhume Howard Cosell and put his corpse in the booth. More intelligence would come out of dead Howard than an alive Simms.

If Paul Maguire does a Steelers game with Simms Ill just start watching cross country bowling.

Nolrog
09-12-2011, 09:47 PM

It was a 9-11 related tweet, and yesterday was 9-11. It was valid to bring it up.

There's an easy way to prevent this kind of stupid stuff from being brought up. Don't tweet it.

The bigger problem I had with Simms was that he seemed to have an anti-Steeler bias. Harrison tackled around the neck, bad holding call. One of the Steelers get called for a more questionable one. Good call there. Simms and Nance made me want to slit my throat.

--- Added 9/12/2011 at 08:47 PM ---

I dunno. I have no problems with Collinsworth and a lot of ppl dislike his style.

Collinsworth did the Giant game I think. He was annoying the crap out of me yesterday too.

STEELyourface
09-12-2011, 10:53 PM
Does anyone remember when Moss "fake mooned" the Lambeau crowd?? I thought joe buck was gonna have a heart attack. Listen, I'm all for guys showing some class on the field and Moss has had his share of stupid acts but that was not one of them. You'd of thought he actually mooned the crowd the way buck reacted. Besides, I have always been of the opinion that mooning someone was a harmless teenage prank that was relatively non-offensive. That being the case, how bad could anyone really consider a fake mooning??

steelersbabex25
09-12-2011, 10:57 PM
Not about Simms but tonight in the 4th quarter of the NE vs Miami game, John Gruden said something along the lines of, "I want to apologize for what I said earlier. I'm sorry if I offended anyone." Does anyone know what he said?

MattyVfromCT
09-13-2011, 12:20 AM
The bigger problem I had with Simms was that he seemed to have an anti-Steeler bias. Harrison tackled around the neck, bad holding call. One of the Steelers get called for a more questionable one. Good call there. Simms and Nance made me want to slit my throat.

my thoughts exactly. those 2 have always been that way. simms had his purple and black pom poms out every time we got penalized for holding, etc

Callax
09-13-2011, 07:21 AM
self-righteous
Steeler hater
he and collinsworth together on a broadcast would be the WORST TANDEM EVER IN TV HISTORY.

If it was a Pat's game, they'd be fighting over who would do tom brady first