PDA

View Full Version : Larry Foote replacing James Farrior during the game

Stairwayto7
09-11-2011, 07:50 PM
Still not sure why Farrior got replaced by Foote? And it was for a few series. Farrior said he is fine not hurt and wasnt tired. Anyone concerned about Farrior?

JensK
09-11-2011, 07:52 PM
I voiced this already in pre-season, where I thought he looked very slow and not at all strong. I think its a huge concern, especially because we have no back-up right now. Foote is not a good starter anymore, and Sylvestor is not ready judging from what we've seen from him in pre-season.

Rampage
09-11-2011, 07:53 PM
I wish they would have tried Sylvester. Total blowout game, give a guy with no experience some reps.

Stairwayto7
09-11-2011, 08:03 PM
I agree with both of you. Its a shame but it is what it is, Farrior and father time? I hope we can get one more season out of him, maybe keep using him and Foote to keep him fresh

Rampage
09-11-2011, 08:04 PM
According to Tomlin's presser, they wanted to rotate Farrior and Foote.

Stairwayto7
09-11-2011, 08:07 PM
According to Tomlin's presser, they wanted to rotate Farrior and Foote.

I heard that to, that doesnt sound good when you plan on sitting one of your captains

BlitzburghRockCity
09-11-2011, 08:07 PM
They rotated in Farrior to help out due to the humidity there and wanting to give him a break. They'll do that from time to time during the season. Foote is still a good player and capable of coming in to help out.

Honestly though, nobody played well today on defense except maybe Ike.

steeldoc
09-11-2011, 08:32 PM
Both looked gassed most of the time and missed tackles.

Thisoneguy555
09-11-2011, 08:35 PM
I wish they would have tried Sylvester. Total blowout game, give a guy with no experience some reps.

I don't believe Sylvester actually has a play calling helmet, in other words he has no speaker in his helmet to get the plays, as foote and farrior are both play callers, so neither can be in the game at one time unless one of them brings 2 helmets.
So it's possible he didn't get in because no one wanted to take Timmons out.

I think Farrior was taken out because he wasn't shifting the defense. He wasn't barking out adjustments, probably bringing the defense down. Foote didn't do any better when he was put in. Foote can not tackle, he missed a huge tackle on Rice on 3rd and short. He had a perfect angle, but just whiffed like he was a high school player. Farrior makes that tackle 99/100 times. So I'd rather have farrior, but maybe for passing downs Foote should be out there.

Stairwayto7
09-11-2011, 08:37 PM
Sometimes its hard to see our stars get old

coach
09-11-2011, 08:47 PM
Sometimes its hard to see our stars get old

But it is much harder to see them get owned by the Rats.

I hope today was just a matter of them being more ready than us than it is a case of us being too old and slow one year after going to the SB. If that is the case, this will another very long and painful season.

steelchamp204
09-12-2011, 12:12 AM
Farrior or Foote, thats easy, the answer is Sylvester. How could he possibly be any worse, I know he cant be slower.

HUNT4SEVEN
09-12-2011, 08:45 AM
Were gonna have a bad year if Tomlin keeps being stubborn and not playing the youth it';s time to past the torch,let these young guys get game time experience, i will chuck this year if we can get a these young guys some experience and a bonafide LT in the draft next year we need a real RG, and a LT

coldrolled
09-12-2011, 09:12 AM
Were gonna have a bad year if Tomlin keeps being stubborn and not playing the youth it';s time to past the torch,let these young guys get game time experience, i will chuck this year if we can get a these young guys some experience and a bonafide LT in the draft next year we need a real RG, and a LT

crap.. if we play more games like this one. we will get andrew luck...

--- Added 9/12/2011 at 07:12 AM ---

Farrior or Foote, thats easy, the answer is Sylvester. How could he possibly be any worse, I know he cant be slower.

"I'm not ready to judge it from a speed standpoint," Tomlin said when asked about the defense. "We didn't turn around enough ball carriers. We didn't get off well enough on third down. We didn't create turnovers. Usually speed is a part of that equation, but I'm not ready to say that at this juncture."

LatrobePA
09-12-2011, 10:01 AM
I hate hearing Tomlin sugar coat things, just come out and say it dick, you all sucked!

Smith, Harrison, should of been sat on the bench after half...

cmerrifield
09-12-2011, 10:57 AM
Even if Sylvester isnt ready, his mistakes < Farrior's age and slowness, and Sylvester would get better. Its time for Timmons to call the plays and Farrior to get his elderly butt on the bench.

Blazedby92
09-12-2011, 11:00 AM
Give Timmons a back up helmet with speaker and put sly in the game, it couldn't get much worse than what it already was and I think the Only one that showed up to play was Hines.

Rampage
09-12-2011, 12:03 PM
The thing that leaves me scratching my head is why Timmons didn't get a chance as the signal caller in preseason. Obviously, the team saw that Farrior couldn't play full games this preseason. Why didn't they give him a helmet and start making him call defenses? To me, that is very poor coaching to think that it is better to keep an old backup in there as the signal caller rather than your young guy.

cmerrifield
09-12-2011, 12:09 PM
The thing that leaves me scratching my head is why Timmons didn't get a chance as the signal caller in preseason. Obviously, the team saw that Farrior couldn't play full games this preseason. Why didn't they give him a helmet and start making him call defenses? To me, that is very poor coaching to think that it is better to keep an old backup in there as the signal caller rather than your young guy.

Maybe Farrior has compromising pictures of Tomlin. :lol:

Rampage
09-12-2011, 12:22 PM
Maybe Farrior has compromising pictures of Tomlin. :lol:

Tomlin has got to quit screwing around then, because Arians seems to have some, too. :lol:

steelchamp204
09-12-2011, 12:26 PM
Wow people agree with me on Sly, that made my day haha. To me this should be out frotn 7.

Heyward, Hampton, Hood.
Woodley,Sly, Timmons, Harrison/ Worilds rotating.

I know Heyward seems like a stretch but come on. If we want a youth movement on defense then lets do it so they can all gel together. I know its probably not going to happen unless we go 1-8 to startoff but why not give it a try. I would rather not make the playoffs this year and see the young guys get there ***'s busted on the field than missing the playoffs or getting knocked out first round with Farrior/Smith/Kiesel on the field.

UKSTEELER
09-12-2011, 12:28 PM
Farrior and Foote are simply not good enough, any other team would have replaced them by now, but Dick just won't let his old stars go!

Keyaron Fox would have been a better option than these two chumps in the middle!!

Get Sly some playing time now, it's an absolute no brainer!!

LatrobePA
09-12-2011, 12:28 PM
Neither Foote or Grandpa..

Rampage
09-12-2011, 12:29 PM
Wow people agree with me on Sly, that made my day haha. To me this should be out frotn 7.

Heyward, Hampton, Hood.
Woodley,Sly, Timmons, Harrison/ Worilds rotating.

I know Heyward seems like a stretch but come on. If we want a youth movement on defense then lets do it so they can all gel together. I know its probably not going to happen unless we go 1-8 to startoff but why not give it a try. I would rather not make the playoffs this year and see the young guys get there ***'s busted on the field than missing the playoffs or getting knocked out first round with Farrior/Smith/Kiesel on the field.

Honestly, I thought Keisel had a decent game. Hampton was not only being blocked one-on-one by a center, but he was also getting pushed back. Not much of a NT if you get taken out by a center. Smith was just titty jousting with a guard all day, so that was a poor match up.

I'd like to see a d-line rotating with Keisel, Heyward and Hood at the ends and Hood and McClendon at NT. Sure as **** couldn't be worse than one-on-one coverage against all of them.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-14-2011, 09:38 AM
Larry Foote played several series in place of James Farrior at left inside linebacker in Baltimore. Tomlin said the rotation had been determined prior to the game, although he didn't give it a ringing endorsement when asked about it Tuesday.

"We were not displeased with our plan," Tomlin said. "There's not a lot to look back at that game and feel good about. We were intent on doing that and we did, but other than that, we're not pleased with how we played."

Tomlin did not say whether Foote will continue to get playing time at the expense of Farrior, the defense's signal caller.

From the Trib (http://www.steeleraddicts.com/forum/OLB%20Harrison%20should%20be%20ready%20for%20Seaha wks%20-%20Pittsburgh%20Tribune-Review%20http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_756620.html#ixzz1XvhpmDzh)

A lot is being read into this for some reason, but honestly it doesn't really bother me to see Foote out there.

We talked about this on the podcast last night. If the intent is to reward Foote for a good preseason and get Farrior a rest now and then, why not? It's not like Farrior being out of the game for a few series cost us a victory.

Ike Taylor said yesterday during his weekly show on Trib Live Radio, that the defense sees both guys as interchangeable. When either is on the field, that's the one that makes the calls in the huddle. I wouldn't be surprised to see Potsie get some rest this season periodically. If it helps keep him fresh late in the year and helps keep Foote ready, then why not?

cmerrifield
09-14-2011, 09:41 AM
I think it was Bouchette who said its not for Farrior but for Harrison. There is a fear that Harrison wont last all season and they might have to move Timmons outside. So they are keeping Foote and Farrior in there to keep them from getting rusty.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-14-2011, 03:58 PM
There's probably several reasons. Keeping Foote in game mode, giving Farrior a rest, rewarding Larry for a good preseason, etc.

Sylvester also got some work on the outside in training camp, although I don't think we saw him in preseason at that position.

And what does it saw about Jason Worilds? His inability to take the next step this year means there could be more juggling of players should something happen to one of the starters.

coldrolled
09-14-2011, 04:12 PM
There's probably several reasons. Keeping Foote in game mode, giving Farrior a rest, rewarding Larry for a good preseason, etc.

Sylvester also got some work on the outside in training camp, although I don't think we saw him in preseason at that position.

And what does it saw about Jason Worilds? His inability to take the next step this year means there could be more juggling of players should something happen to one of the starters.

54 Carter, Chris LB 6-1 248 Play'em

Black@Gold Forever32
09-14-2011, 04:13 PM
Worilds actually looked solid out there on Sunday......

LatrobePA
09-14-2011, 04:40 PM
Didn't make any sense to me, when in the hell will they allow their young players on the field??

coldrolled
09-14-2011, 04:55 PM
Didn't make any sense to me, when in the hell will they allow their young players on the field??

i watched alot of games this weekend and seen a lot of 2011 draft picks playing football.

LatrobePA
09-14-2011, 06:12 PM
i watched alot of games this weekend and seen a lot of 2011 draft picks playing football.

Ditto (pats).... Makes me sick!

Thisoneguy555
09-14-2011, 06:36 PM
I think it was Bouchette who said its not for Farrior but for Harrison. There is a fear that Harrison wont last all season and they might have to move Timmons outside. So they are keeping Foote and Farrior in there to keep them from getting rusty.

But why take Farrior out completely? If Harrison gets hurt and Timmons goes to outside linebacker, Foote would not play Farriors position, he would play Timmons position, not Farriors. In the 3-4, especially with Lebeaus scheme, the 2 middle linebackers play different rolls and require different types of play.

But I guess just being in the game would keep him from getting rusty, out of position or not.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-15-2011, 01:04 PM
Foote can play both positions. He's played in Farriors spot and of course played in Timmon's spot before Lawrence was drafted. He is interchangeable in that respect, which is a big reason they kept him around. He may not be the biggest, strongest, or fastest but he knows the defense and is reliable.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-16-2011, 09:39 AM
James Farrior is the mortar of a usually brick-solid Steelers defense.
As the 36-year-old linebacker paced the sideline with his helmet dangling at his side Sunday, the defending AFC champions' defense looked like a soft mix of sand and water. It was vulnerable against a revenge-minded, physical Baltimore offense. Farrior walked slowly onto the field at M&T Bank Stadium during a timeout to offer advice and encouragement to backup linebacker Larry Foote as the Ravens marched methodically downfield during a flawless, 12-play, 84-yard scoring drive. It was an unusual situation for Farrior, who watched from the sideline during Baltimore's last three first-half possessions. He wasn't hurt, and he didn't ask for a breather. "We made a commitment that both men (Farrior and Foote) were going to play," said coach Mike Tomlin after a humbling 35-7 season-opening defeat.

But Farrior's extended stay on the bench was curious, if not reflective of the fact that 15 years in the NFL has given Tomlin cause to save Farrior's body, even early in the season.

"We have to keep guys somewhat fresh when you can and take care of guys so they can make it through the season," said defensive end Aaron Smith, a 13-year veteran. "This is a marathon."

Farrior, though, isn't ready to be treated like a washed-up pitcher. He insisted throughout this week he'll be ready to go the distance when the Steelers host the Seattle Seahawks at Heinz Field on Sunday.

"I don't know if I've saved my body, but I do think I've been really lucky," said Farrior, who had five tackles against Baltimore. "I've been blessed not to have any major injuries or have anything to hamper my play."
Farrior admittedly was a little sore earlier this week. He sat out Wednesday's practice.
"You always know you're going to be sore after the Baltimore game," Farrior said. "I'm used to that."

The Steelers, it seems, are preparing for a transition at linebacker. It's an undeniable reality.

"Our time is coming," receiver Hines Ward said. "(Farrior) is not going to grope about things. You can either complain or dwell about it or accept the role and move on."
Farrior is being pursued by the clock. And linebacker James Harrison is soldiering on despite two offseason back surgeries and a minor knee injury sustained during the opener.

Foote, Stevenson Sylvester and Jason Worilds will have their chances if Tomlin commits to a similar substitution pattern throughout the season.
"They are always looking for some younger and faster guy to replace you," said Farrior, who in 2008 signed a four-year contract extension through next season. "That's the way of the league. We understand that part of the business, but I'm not going out easy.

"It's been a long road, but it seems like it's going fast. I contribute my longevity to my offseason training. I do everything possible to be in the best shape."
The Steelers clearly are trying to reshape and infuse youth on an aging defense. The Steelers have eight defensive starters 30 or older -- including Farrior, Harrison, Smith, strong safety Troy Polamalu and free safety Ryan Clark.
"I'm trying to find the same fountain of youth that (Farrior) has found," said Clark, in his 10th season. "James is still making the same plays he's been making for years. We started rotating Larry Foote early last year, but even then James wasn't thinking about retirement."

From the Trib (http://www.steeleraddicts.com/forum/Farrior%20%27not%20going%20out%20easy%27%20-%20Pittsburgh%20Tribune-Review%20http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_757031.html#ixzz1Y7PL6fw3)

Stairwayto7
09-26-2011, 01:16 AM
Farriors two big hits tonight both were late and both should have been flagged. The one out of bounds should have been a late hit and the other should have been a blow to the head on Collins. He looks slow.

coldrolled
09-26-2011, 09:57 AM
Farrior is slow and Johnson cant block.....

UKSTEELER
09-26-2011, 10:39 AM
on one play Farrior had got up field and was plodding around in the backfield trying to catch up with the back, . . it was like a game of chase, . . . well until Addai put the burners on and Faz was left with a lung fulls of smoke!

steelchamp204
09-26-2011, 10:44 AM
How them **** can Sly be any worse? I mean seriously? Im sure he could go out there and apply no pressure/Get burned/Miss tackles/ but im sure he can atleast get to the opposing offensive guy with the ball. So what difference would it make?

UKSTEELER
09-26-2011, 10:47 AM
How them **** can Sly be any worse? I mean seriously? Im sure he could go out there and apply no pressure/Get burned/Miss tackles/ but im sure he can atleast get to the opposing offensive guy with the ball. So what difference would it make?

He's only got two splinters in his arse (that's *** for my american friends) from riding the bench, . . he needs at least one more year to get the complimentary five that Dick so longingly coverts!!:banging:

Stairwayto7
09-26-2011, 11:31 AM
[QUOTE=UKSTEELER;443102]He's only got two splinters in his arse (that's *** for my american friends) from riding the bench, . . he needs at least one more year to get the complimentary five that Dick so longingly coverts!!:banging:[/QUOTEL

LOL Someone has to be better than Slow ( Foote ) and slower ( Farrior ) . I have a ton of respect for Farrior and he`ll go down in Steeler history when we talk about our linebackers, but he is done.:imho:

UKSTEELER
09-26-2011, 11:39 AM
[QUOTE=UKSTEELER;443102]He's only got two splinters in his arse (that's *** for my american friends) from riding the bench, . . he needs at least one more year to get the complimentary five that Dick so longingly coverts!!:banging:[/QUOTEL

LOL Someone has to be better than Slow ( Foote ) and slower ( Farrior ) . I have a ton of respect for Farrior and he`ll go down in Steeler history when we talk about our linebackers, but he is done.:imho:

It's hunger, desire and attitude that we require, and that is the preserve of the young man, it's not like the vets aren't making mistakes or aren't making plays out there, . . . so I see no reason whatsoever why Sly isn't at the very least seeing some third down action.

Even Kayaron Fox had fire and fresh legs, go figure, we let him go! :rant2: