PDA

View Full Version : Wasn't Ben supposed to be at his best today?

steelersbabex25
09-11-2011, 04:45 PM
I mean there's bad and then there's ugly, and Ben was just ugly today. Yeah, the offensive line wasn't helping much but that's never stopped him before. Most of his interceptions (cause there were just so many of him) looked like he was throwing to a Raven on purpose. Straight to a defender, with no receiver in sight. He wasn't sensing the blitz, wasn't seeing the open players, I mean, wow. He was just completely and totally off his game today. I don't think I've seen his that bad in a long time.

mwittman5
09-11-2011, 04:49 PM
Yeah thats what happens when Ben tries making plays too much. Sometimes it works really well and sometimes it leads to turnovers. He played terrible but that happens especially against good D's.

Katmandu
09-11-2011, 04:50 PM
Ben made a lot of BAD decisions today.

It seemed like he was trying TOO HARD to get the ball away quickly and NOT settle for the familiar SACK.

That said, the OL pretty much sucked in the Pass protection department.

Nolrog
09-11-2011, 04:50 PM
He played terrible but that happens especially against good D's.

He needs to play substantially better to get up to terrible.

steelersbabex25
09-11-2011, 04:52 PM
When we got down 29-7 at the beginning of the second half it didn't look like he was trying anymore. He was just slinging the ball wherever his little heart desired.

STEELyourface
09-11-2011, 04:53 PM
Ben made a lot of BAD decisions today.

It seemed like he was trying TOO HARD to get the ball away quickly and NOT settle for the familiar SACK.

That said, the OL pretty much sucked in the Pass protection department.

I agree, bad decisions and seemed to be forcing it for sure but we were down quick and that is going to ALWAYS lead to having to throw more and forcing things. Sometimes it works out sometimes it doesn't. A 3 interception game is not all that uncommon in this league. I mean c'mon people he had 3 picks in a game we HAD to throw a lot because we were behind early.

steelersbabex25
09-11-2011, 04:56 PM
This was just a Ben I wasn't used to seeing. Usually when we're down he starts taking advantage of how the defense starts to loosen up. He did the opposite though. Just handed the ball right to them.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-11-2011, 04:59 PM
A terrible performance by Ben all the way around. Bad decision making, bad passing, looking completely unglued. Those 3 interceptions were all on Ben. I don't care that Ngata batted the one down, Ben had no business throwing that one or the other 3.

Rampage
09-11-2011, 04:59 PM
While I blame a lot of the turnovers on horrendous o-line play, Ben had absolutely no vision. On some of those plays, it looked like he threw it for the sake of throwing it, accuracy and possession be damned. He missed Brown on a quick play in the middle that could have been big. The same happened with an open Wallace. I blame a very weak interior o-line, but if Ben thinks he is a good QB, he sure did not show it.

Scorp
09-11-2011, 06:09 PM
I mean there's bad and then there's ugly, and Ben was just ugly today. Yeah, the offensive line wasn't helping much but that's never stopped him before. Most of his interceptions (cause there were just so many of him) looked like he was throwing to a Raven on purpose. Straight to a defender, with no receiver in sight. He wasn't sensing the blitz, wasn't seeing the open players, I mean, wow. He was just completely and totally off his game today. I don't think I've seen his that bad in a long time.

This is what i like to read despite the rivals beating us bad. The truth. Regardless of us disliking the Ravens, they really took it to us on many levels. I don't even need to say much cause you all saw what happened. Learn from it and correct mistakes and really need to be ready for week 2.

Is murdering a seahawk just as good as murdering a raven? Chickenhawks will make an excellent bird (example).

Rampage
09-11-2011, 06:11 PM
I just heard on ESPN that Roethlisberger has the Ravens defense on his fantasy team and tried to give them as many points as possible.

connecticutsteel
09-11-2011, 06:14 PM
We got destroyed **** happens it's only game one but clearly we miss flozell cause scott was awful

Scorp
09-11-2011, 06:20 PM
We expect Ben to be Ben or classic Ben every game. In this case it was dreadful Ben making his nightmare of a performance a reality. Oh well, game over. Now we can focus on the next team and prepare much better and hopefully be more focused on executing and not committing too many turnovers. Or better yet, 0 turnovers. Still early in the season and lots of good football to be played.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-11-2011, 07:14 PM
We expect Ben to be good every game because he usually is good every game. Today nobody played a good game, but Ben had his worst performance in years today. The 3 int's aren't the end of the world, but his decision making was terrible on countless throws. The offensive line gave him zero protection so that factors in, but man he just was not the Ben we're used too seeing at all.

steeldoc
09-11-2011, 07:35 PM
Those pics near the end zone were just horrible.:banging::cursin::evilshake::rant2::whate ver:

twag
09-11-2011, 08:40 PM
are you seious did this realy happen??? this was teh worst performance in at least 10 years!!!!! i live 30-40 miles from these a-holes and have to lisen to this for how many weeks??!!!!! ben should dig a hole and burry his head! and y was he still playin till the end of the game????!!!!!!!!!!! go ahead mike get your star player hurt for the season!!! i hate that team
,that city, and those fans with such passion,i hope they all cotract VDand walk around scrathing themselves uncontrolably!!!!!!!!!!this is unaceptable from the steelersand they should take the field next week with their heads held low!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cursin::cursin::cursin::cursin: :cursin::cursin::imho::imho::imho:

MattyVfromCT
09-11-2011, 08:46 PM
let's calm down. i won't hit the panic button unless he continues to play like this, especially against seattle and indy. and let's be honest. ben has these types of games and everyone is ready to jump off the bridge and then looks brilliant the next week. just like any other qb. i've seen brady throw 4 picks against the lowly kc chiefs in 05. peyton has had horrible games. it happens. it's how you get up after being knocked down that matters

steelersbabex25
09-11-2011, 08:52 PM
let's calm down. i won't hit the panic button unless he continues to play like this, especially against seattle and indy. and let's be honest. ben has these types of games and everyone is ready to jump off the bridge and then looks brilliant the next week. just like any other qb. i've seen brady throw 4 picks against the lowly kc chiefs in 05. peyton has had horrible games. it happens. it's how you get up after being knocked down that matters

Not true. I can not remember seeing Ben this bad ever. He looked uncomfortable all game. Never settled in.

TEEMONT
09-11-2011, 08:59 PM
I still can't see any reason to panic...this is one thing I hate about being a Steelers fan. The fans either treat a game like it was the greatest ever played, or the worst thing since Hitler...

There is zero reason to get crazy thinking this team or Ben has "lost it". They'll get their asses reamed all week by Tomlin. There's a reason the Rooneys picked him and not the guy in AZ.

DBR96A
09-11-2011, 08:59 PM

Ben Roethlisberger's never thrown six INTs in a game the way Peyton Manning did against the Chargers in 2007.

Honestly, I think he played fine in the first half. It was after that disastrous fumble to start the second half that blew the game wide open when his game began to suffer. That's when he started forcing throws and trying to do too much, and it didn't work. But he's not the reason the Steelers were in a hole in the first place. Even that fumble in the first quarter I can't put on him because his arm was cocked and ready to throw when Terrell Suggs blasted up the middle for the strip-sack. It doesn't matter who the QB is; when their arms are cocked, the ball is vulnerable, and most fumbles by QBs happen in this scenario. And no, he didn't hold the ball too long either; he had a quick dropback and knew exactly where he was going to throw it.

MattyVfromCT
09-11-2011, 09:06 PM
Not true. I can not remember seeing Ben this bad ever. He looked uncomfortable all game. Never settled in.

06 season, 2008 vs the giants, indy, etc just to name a few. every qb has these type of games. if this continues only then will i worry

--- Added 9/11/2011 at 08:06 PM ---

Ben Roethlisberger's never thrown six INTs in a game the way Peyton Manning did against the Chargers in 2007.

Honestly, I think he played fine in the first half. It was after that disastrous fumble to start the second half that blew the game wide open when his game began to suffer. That's when he started forcing throws and trying to do too much, and it didn't work. But he's not the reason the Steelers were in a hole in the first place. Even that fumble in the first quarter I can't put on him because his arm was cocked and ready to throw when Terrell Suggs blasted up the middle for the strip-sack. It doesn't matter who the QB is; when their arms are cocked, the ball is vulnerable, and most fumbles by QBs happen in this scenario. And no, he didn't hold the ball too long either; he had a quick dropback and knew exactly where he was going to throw it.

EXACTLY! :plus1: EVERYONE has horrible games. it's not like this was the bungles we were playing, the ravens have a very good defense, especially the front 7. as much as we love to look down on them because of our history vs them they are a good football team

STEELyourface
09-11-2011, 09:12 PM

FINALLY!!!!!!!! Someone who is making some sense. The dude has been nothing short of remarkable for us for years playing behind NO O-line and 1 bad game and people are dumping all over him. No one is perfect and he had a bad game, get over it! Sure, it sucks but it is going to happen to everyone from time to time. He was forcing throws cause he had to, trying to get us back in the game.

Thank you dude for saying that, I cannot believe how many people are freaking out about this!!!!!!!!!!!!

steelersbabex25
09-11-2011, 09:19 PM
06 season, 2008 vs the giants, indy, etc just to name a few. every qb has these type of games. if this continues only then will i worry

This was the first game of the season. Against an opponent that he's seen over and over and over again. If you're gonna have one of, "those types of games" you don't have them in a game like that. He was flustered, he looked confused, he was forcing throws, he couldn't sense the pressure, he didn't know where the blitz was coming from. I'm far from a panic, but that was not Ben Roethlisberger at all, and now we know that with this offensive line and against a good defense, it's possible for him to not be perfect.

/bad games in the 06 season? Ironic, that was our worst season in what, the past 7 years? Only season I remember that was worse was 2003 when we had Maddox. As for the 2008 games, I don't recall either but I doubt Ben had a passer rating worse than 50. And I'm pretty sure his QB rating was somewhere in that area today.

Again I say, I'm not quite in a panic yet, just because our schedule is pretty ridiculously easy for a while in the regular season. But if and when we get to the playoffs and have to play more teams like the Ravens, I don't know..I just wouldn't be surprised if the offense looked the same as it did today. You say there's not a reason to worry unless we see him continue to have games like this. I say there's not a reason to be confident unless we see him get out of that funk.

MattyVfromCT
09-11-2011, 09:28 PM
FINALLY!!!!!!!! Someone who is making some sense. The dude has been nothing short of remarkable for us for years playing behind NO O-line and 1 bad game and people are dumping all over him. No one is perfect and he had a bad game, get over it! Sure, it sucks but it is going to happen to everyone from time to time. He was forcing throws cause he had to, trying to get us back in the game.

Thank you dude for saying that, I cannot believe how many people are freaking out about this!!!!!!!!!!!!

seriously. i remember the days when i used to post on steelers.com's ancient boards before i found this site lol. there was the BBBB (big ben bencher brigade) as we called them. throughout the entire 2006-2008 seasons there were so many people on there calling for ben to be benched in favor of leftwich it was ridiculous. ben would throw 2-4 picks these ppl would be out in full force only to disappear after a good game. they all had nothing to say after super bowl 43. dont know about the 5 game losing streak in 09 cuz i was on here by that time. let's calm down. ravens d played lights out

--- Added 9/11/2011 at 08:28 PM ---

This was the first game of the season. Against an opponent that he's seen over and over and over again. If you're gonna have one of, "those types of games" you don't have them in a game like that. He was flustered, he looked confused, he was forcing throws, he couldn't sense the pressure, he didn't know where the blitz was coming from. I'm far from a panic, but that was not Ben Roethlisberger at all, and now we know that with this offensive line and against a good defense, it's possible for him to not be perfect.

/bad games in the 06 season? Ironic, that was our worst season in what, the past 7 years? Only season I remember that was worse was 2003 when we had Maddox. As for the 2008 games, I don't recall either but I doubt Ben had a passer rating worse than 50. And I'm pretty sure his QB rating was somewhere in that area today.

Again I say, I'm not quite in a panic yet, just because our schedule is pretty ridiculously easy for a while in the regular season. But if and when we get to the playoffs and have to play more teams like the Ravens, I don't know..I just wouldn't be surprised if the offense looked the same as it did today. You say there's not a reason to worry unless we see him continue to have games like this. I say there's not a reason to be confident unless we see him get out of that funk.

ben threw 15 picks in 08. he had 2 HORRIBLE games against the giants and colts where he threw 7-8 picks in those 2 games alone i believe. ben looked bad, yes, but the whole team did on both sides of the ball. like i said earlier, i've seen brady throw 4 picks against the chiefs in 05, manning has had horrible games where he looked like rex grossman. everyone does. it happens. his familiarity with the ravens means nothing. this was a very different team than last year. their secondary had a ton of new faces. any qb can look flustered when his receivers are getting shut down and he has defenders in the backfield consistently. if this were to continue the next 2 weeks against bad teams THEN i'll start to worry a bit. all i'm saying. it's one game. a season isn't made or broken on a week 1 game

steelersbabex25
09-11-2011, 09:32 PM
seriously. i remember the days when i used to post on steelers.com's ancient boards before i found this site lol. there was the BBBB (big ben bencher brigade) as we called them. throughout the entire 2006-2008 seasons there were so many people on there calling for ben to be benched in favor of leftwich it was ridiculous. ben would throw 2-4 picks these ppl would be out in full force only to disappear after a good game. they all had nothing to say after super bowl 43. dont know about the 5 game losing streak in 09 cuz i was on here by that time. let's calm down. ravens d played lights out

Let's not exaggerate here. I'm far from calling for Ben's head. I'm not an idiot. I'm just more of a realist and you're just more of an optimist.

--- Added 9/11/2011 at 08:32 PM ---

ben threw 15 picks in 08. he had 2 HORRIBLE games against the giants and colts where he threw 7-8 picks in those 2 games alone i believe. ben looked bad, yes, but the whole team did on both sides of the ball. like i said earlier, i've seen brady throw 4 picks against the chiefs in 05, manning has had horrible games where he looked like rex grossman. everyone does. it happens. his familiarity with the ravens means nothing. this was a very different team than last year. their secondary had a ton of new faces. any qb can look flustered when his receivers are getting shut down and he has defenders in the backfield consistently. if this were to continue the next 2 weeks against bad teams THEN i'll start to worry a bit. all i'm saying. it's one game. a season isn't made or broken on a week 1 game

But what I'm saying is that winning against two very vulnerable teams will not reassure me too much. Yeah, cool, winning against the Seahawks and Colts defenses is all good and dandy, but at the end of the day, they're just the Colts and the Seahawks. We'll see how he does against the Texans and then a few weeks later against the Pats.

MattyVfromCT
09-11-2011, 09:35 PM
Let's not exaggerate here. I'm far from calling for Ben's head. I'm not an idiot. I'm just more of a realist and you're just more of an optimist.

didnt say you were calling for his head. i'm just saying ben's track record speaks for itself. he's had game like this before and bounced back. all great quarterbacks will look terrible at times. joe montana had some real stinkers, IN THE PLAYOFFS nonetheless. joe cool we're talking about here. he even got benched in the playoffs against the vikings in 87. he was that bad. it happens. he rebounded to win 2 straight super bowls the next 2 seasons

steelersbabex25
09-11-2011, 09:38 PM
didnt say you were calling for his head. i'm just saying ben's track record speaks for itself. he's had game like this before and bounced back. all great quarterbacks will look terrible at times. joe montana had some real stinkers, IN THE PLAYOFFS nonetheless. joe cool we're talking about here. he even got benched in the playoffs against the vikings in 87. he was that bad. it happens. he rebounded to win 2 straight super bowls the next 2 seasons

I understand that. But as this being his first showing since the superbowl, it's all you have to go off for this season. When you just look at it, black and white, you see a quarterback, fresh out of a somewhat rough superbowl performance, playing against a difficult defense, who totally folded. Every season is different, every quarterback is different. Again I'll say, we'll see what he does in the next few games. Although even if he f*cks up, doesn't really matter. He'll stay in over Dixon 99 times out of 100.

Rampage
09-11-2011, 09:44 PM
Stewie has a message for Ben:

X-6V0Wg0aOI

MattyVfromCT
09-11-2011, 09:44 PM
I understand that. But as this being his first showing since the superbowl, it's all you have to go off for this season. When you just look at it, black and white, you see a quarterback, fresh out of a somewhat rough superbowl performance, playing against a difficult defense, who totally folded. Every season is different, every quarterback is different. Again I'll say, we'll see what he does in the next few games. Although even if he f*cks up, doesn't really matter. He'll stay in over Dixon 99 times out of 100.

one thing you have to remember. this game was a game baltimore needed to win. it was much more important for them to beat us than the other way around. they hadn't beaten us in the harbaugh/flacco era with ben playing and they needed to win this game not only for flacco's confidence but for a legitimate chance at winning the division. and being that it was game 1, they had so much more time to prepare for this game than they would if it was a normal week. i fully expect ben to bounce back. we've seen games like this before. nobody plays a perfect game every time out, not even the all time greats

STEELyourface
09-11-2011, 09:46 PM

Ok, well that familiarity with the ravens works both ways, they are also familiar with Ben so that arguement doesn't really work out.

As for not having games with a passer rating below 50, either you don't know or you have a selective memory. Because Ben has had several games with a below 50 passer rating. He has posted a 35.5 twice in his career and his personal worst was a 22.6. Those are just a few examples but it has clearly happened.

Also, what I'm not sure you understand is that he had no choice but to force some throws because that is what happens when you are down by that kind of score. The guy has taken us to 3 Super Bowls, has a 10-3 record in the post season, and has 26 4th qtr/OT game winning drives which is more than ANYONE in the league since 2004. He can clearly get it done when it matters and against playoff caliber competition. I don't know what else you people want from the guy, sometimes people are just gonna play bad.

steelersbabex25
09-11-2011, 09:49 PM
one thing you have to remember. this game was a game baltimore needed to win. it was much more important for them to beat us than the other way around. they hadn't beaten us in the harbaugh/flacco era with ben playing and they needed to win this game not only for flacco's confidence but for a legitimate chance at winning the division. and being that it was game 1, they had so much more time to prepare for this game than they would if it was a normal week. i fully expect ben to bounce back. we've seen games like this before. nobody plays a perfect game every time out, not even the all time greats

It doesn't matter if they "needed" this game more than us. That's not an excuse to not coming prepared. "Oh we know Baltimore is going to prepare more for us than we are for them, and they need it more anyway. We just won't try." I hate when people justify a loss by saying that it was a must win for the other team. That statement is completely irrelevent to me.

DBR96A
09-11-2011, 09:52 PM

I can think of a worse scenario for a bad game: remember the Christmas present we got from the Dolphins in 2004? The Steelers and Patriots had identical 13-1 records the weekend before Christmas. The Steelers won a Saturday game against the Giants, and then the Patriots had a Monday night matchup in Miami against a 3-10 Dolphins team. At the start of the fourth quarter, the Patriots had a 28-17 lead, but then Tom Brady pissed it all away. He threw four INTs that game, and the Dolphins came back to upset the Patriots, costing them a chance at home-field advantage in the playoffs. I'd say Brady shook it off pretty well, considering the final outcome of that season.

I'll worry about Roethlisberger only if this becomes a trend. This is his first three-INT game in almost three years, and his first multiple-INT regular-season game in almost two years. In fact, here's a list of all of Roethlisberger's games with three or more INTs:

September 24, 2006 vs Cincinnati
October 29, 2006 at Oakland
November 5, 2006 vs Denver
December 24, 2006 vs Baltimore
October 26, 2008 vs New York Giants
November 9, 2008 at Indianapolis
September 11, 2011 at Baltimore

Over half of his three-INT games occurred in 2006, and the most he's ever thrown in one game is four, against the Raiders and Giants. Roethlisberger takes better care of the ball than most people outside of Pittsburgh realize, but today was just one of those lousy days. **** happens.

Clevelandsux
09-11-2011, 09:55 PM
Ben was awful. Incredibly awful. Defense couldn't stop Rice either.

Black@Gold Forever32
09-11-2011, 09:56 PM
Ben had a bad day but so did the entire team.....Not one member of the Pittsburgh Steelers stepped up today or played well....the coaching staff and the players were owned today.....

Of course there is things to be concerned about but at the same time Ben has bounced back from terrible performances before......If they lose to the Seahawks in Pittsburgh next week then it might be time to panic....lol

steelersbabex25
09-11-2011, 09:58 PM
I'll worry about Roethlisberger only if this becomes a trend. This is his first three-INT game in almost three years, and his first multiple-INT regular-season game in almost two years. In fact, here's a list of all of Roethlisberger's games with three or more INTs:

September 24, 2006 vs Cincinnati
October 29, 2006 at Oakland
November 5, 2006 vs Denver
December 24, 2006 vs Baltimore
October 26, 2008 vs New York Giants
November 9, 2008 at Indianapolis
September 11, 2011 at Baltimore

Over half of his three-INT games occurred in 2006, and the most he's ever thrown in one game is four, against the Raiders and Giants. Roethlisberger takes better care of the ball than most people outside of Pittsburgh realize, but today was just one of those lousy days. **** happens.

Yes, and again I say it's not a coincidence that Ben had an awful season in 06, and 06 was one of our worst seasons that I can remember.

You can't only look at interceptions. The Steelers had 7 turnovers. Ben single handedly caused 4 of them..or was it 5? That stat to me is inexcusable. Especially because all the interceptions were 100% on him, and I think all interceptions led to Ravens points. I just can't excuse this game because he's Ben Roethlisberger. You can tell me to all you want, but I can't do it.

Black@Gold Forever32
09-11-2011, 10:07 PM
It was five....lol He played bad yes no denying that but I think the entire team played bad......It wasn't just Ben.....lol It was collective team effort to suck today......It happens.....

Yes the have alot of work to do and better correct it quick but 1 game a season doesn't make.....In the season opener back in 2003 the Bills blew out the Patriots and Marsha Brady 38-0......Pats won the Super Bowl that year......

I'm not happy with how the team played and in fact I stopped watching 10 minutes left in the 4th quarter and I never do that......But I'm not going to dwell on this pile of dung anymore....If they lose to the Seahawks next week then it might be time to panic.....

steelersbabex25
09-11-2011, 10:12 PM
It was five....lol He played bad yes no denying that but I think the entire team played bad......It wasn't just Ben.....lol It was collective team effort to suck today......It happens.....

Yes the have alot of work to do and better correct it quick but 1 game a season doesn't make.....In the season opener back in 2003 the Bills blew out the Patriots and Marsha Brady 38-0......Pats won the Super Bowl that year......

I'm not happy with how the team played and in fact I stopped watching 10 minutes left in the 4th quarter and I never do that......But I'm not going to dwell on this pile of dung anymore....If they lose to the Seahawks next week then it might be time to panic.....

I never dwelled on this game. I was laughing through the entire thing cause it was hilariously awful. :lol: Just having an intelligent conversation.

Black@Gold Forever32
09-11-2011, 10:17 PM
I never dwelled on this game. I was laughing through the entire thing cause it was hilariously awful. :lol: Just having an intelligent conversation.

Didn't say you were...I'm just saying I'm not going to dwell on it and just hope they get better...Can't get any worse....right? I must say I laughed more times then yelled since it was comically bad out there today....One of the worst Steelers performances that I can recall.......Were I can say not one part of the team looked good....Ok Sepulveda but when you're punting is the lone bright spot that says it all......

I think they will respond next week against the Seahawks......Thank God Manning is out and they face Kerry Collins.....The Texans game in Houston will be tough........

steelersbabex25
09-11-2011, 10:18 PM
Didn't say you were...I'm just saying I'm not going to dwell on it and just hope they get better...Can't get any worse....right? I must say I laughed more times then yelled since it was comically bad out there today....One of the worst Steelers performances that I can recall.......Were I can say not one part of the team looked good....Ok Sepulveda but when you're punting is the lone bright spot that says it all......

I think they will respond next week against the Seahawks......Thank God Manning is out and they face Kerry Collins.....The Texans game in Houston will be tough........

The only time I was mad was when there were words coming out of Simms' mouth.

Black@Gold Forever32
09-11-2011, 10:21 PM
The only time I was mad was when there were words coming out of Simms' mouth.

Phil Simms is an idiot.......Yea he was annoying the **** out of me today as well......

STEELyourface
09-11-2011, 10:24 PM

Ok, well that familiarity with the ravens works both ways, they are also familiar with Ben so that arguement doesn't really work out.

As for not having games with a passer rating below 50, either you don't know or you have a selective memory. Because Ben has had several games with a below 50 passer rating. He has posted a 35.5 twice in his career and his personal worst was a 22.6. Those are just a few examples but it has clearly happened.

Also, what I'm not sure you understand is that he had no choice but to force some throws because that is what happens when you are down by that kind of score. The guy has taken us to 3 Super Bowls, has a 10-3 record in the post season, and has 26 4th qtr/OT game winning drives which is more than ANYONE in the league since 2004. He can clearly get it done when it matters and against playoff caliber competition. I don't know what else you people want from the guy, sometimes people are just gonna play bad

LatrobePA
09-11-2011, 10:24 PM
I'm over this game all ready, ben sucked sack but will rebound. My main problem is:

LT and Harrison..

steelersbabex25
09-11-2011, 10:28 PM

Also, what I'm not sure you understand is that he had no choice but to force some throws because that is what happens when you are down by that kind of score. The guy has taken us to 3 Super Bowls, has a 10-3 record in the post season, and has 26 4th qtr/OT game winning drives which is more than ANYONE in the league since 2004. He can clearly get it done when it matters and against playoff caliber competition. I don't know what else you people want from the guy, sometimes people are just gonna play bad

Yeah? When's the last time we demolished the Ravens 35-7?

No, I understand that perfectly well. What I don't understand is how 3 times he threw the ball directly to a player wearing a black jersey like they were his own receiver. Lol I'm not stupid. Quarterbacks have come back from being down without making horrible decisions 75% of the time.

STEELyourface
09-11-2011, 10:37 PM
Yeah? When's the last time we demolished the Ravens 35-7?

No, I understand that perfectly well. What I don't understand is how 3 times he threw the ball directly to a player wearing a black jersey like they were his own receiver. Lol I'm not stupid. Quarterbacks have come back from being down without making horrible decisions 75% of the time.

38-7 in 2007

and when QBs come back from being down I'd say they do it w/o making horrible decisions almost 100% of the time, hence the comeback. Ben didn't have it today but has proven time and again he can get it done.

steelersbabex25
09-11-2011, 10:44 PM
38-7 in 2007

and when QBs come back from being down I'd say they do it w/o making horrible decisions almost 100% of the time, hence the comeback. Ben didn't have it today but has proven time and again he can get it done.

2007. When the Ravens were awful. Finished last in the division if my memory serves me right. I rest my case.

STEELyourface
09-11-2011, 10:45 PM
2007. When the Ravens were awful. Finished last in the division if my memory serves me right. I rest my case.

What case is it that you are resting the one about doubting Ben ever had a QB rating below 50 or one of the many other things you were wrong about?

steelersbabex25
09-11-2011, 10:48 PM
What case is it that you are resting the one about doubting Ben ever had a QB rating below 50 or one of the many other things you were wrong about?

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: What was I wrong about? I never really stated any facts that I could possibly be wrong about. All I said throught this entire thread is my opinion. I'm pretty sure you can not say an opinion isn't correct or incorrect. That's what makes it an opinion.

STEELyourface
09-11-2011, 11:00 PM
You made statements along the lines of Ben never having this bad a game and us not being able to win if he plays like that, etc

I'm saying he's played worse and we've still won. He has proven time and again we can have confidence in him when the game is on the line and has bounced back from having bad games plenty of times in the past.

The guy has done so much for this team, I just don't see the need to jump all over him. He's gonna have a bad game from time to time but he'll win far more games for us then he'll lose and I think everyone should cut him some slack when he's running around trying to avoid sacks and slinging it down the field trying to get us back in the game. He has earned that it isn't something anyone is giving him for no reason.

steelersbabex25
09-11-2011, 11:05 PM
You made statements along the lines of Ben never having this bad a game and us not being able to win if he plays like that, etc

I'm saying he's played worse and we've still won. He has proven time and again we can have confidence in him when the game is on the line and has bounced back from having bad games plenty of times in the past.

Games in which Ben played just as bad/worse than today:

September 24, 2006 vs Cincinnati - L
October 29, 2006 at Oakland - L
November 5, 2006 vs Denver - L
December 24, 2006 vs Baltimore - L
October 26, 2008 vs New York Giants - L
November 9, 2008 at Indianapolis - L
September 11, 2011 at Baltimore - L

You were saying?

MattyVfromCT
09-11-2011, 11:06 PM
Phil Simms is an idiot.......Yea he was annoying the **** out of me today as well......

don't even get me started on that clown. not only does he suck at announcing, he's one of the most overrated qb's ever. jeff hostetler won with that team against a much better bills team than the lowly broncos that simms faced. dont care about his completion record, other than elway, that broncos team sucked

STEELyourface
09-11-2011, 11:10 PM
September 24, 2006 vs Cincinnati - L
October 29, 2006 at Oakland - L
November 5, 2006 vs Denver - L
December 24, 2006 vs Baltimore - L
October 26, 2008 vs New York Giants - L
November 9, 2008 at Indianapolis - L
September 11, 2011 at Baltimore - L

You were saying?

I was saying he posted a 35.5 in the AFCC and WE WON he also posted the WORST OF HIS CAREER a 22.6 in SB XL there are 2 games he played poorly and we won. Any more questions?

steelersbabex25
09-11-2011, 11:12 PM
I was saying he posted a 35.5 in the AFCC and WE WON he also posted the WORST OF HIS CAREER a 22.6 in SB XL there are 2 games he played poorly and we won. Any more questions?

You're gonna need to be more specific than AFCC. /a 22.6 in SB XL? Good. So thats what? 1 our of 8?

STEELyourface
09-11-2011, 11:13 PM
You're gonna need to be more specific than AFCC. /a 22.6 in SB XL? Good. So thats what? 1 our of 8?

LAST SEASON AFCC

He also posted a 35.5 in a playoff game against the jets earlier in his career that we still won

MattyVfromCT
09-11-2011, 11:13 PM
not to start **** but what does "most of ben's bad games in 06" have to do with anything? i mean he rebounded with his only pro bowl season in his career the next year. it's week 1. relax........

steelersbabex25
09-11-2011, 11:16 PM
not to start **** but what does "most of ben's bad games in 06" have to do with anything? i mean he rebounded with his only pro bowl season in his career the next year. it's week 1. relax........

I'm relaxed. Completely relaxed actually. You guys are the ones coming on here throwing stats at me and straight out telling me that I'm wrong when I'm just stating an opinion.

STEELyourface
09-11-2011, 11:18 PM

I said we've won games against good teams when Ben had played poorly and she is trying to prove me wrong despite my stating of actual facts

--- Added 9/11/2011 at 10:18 PM ---

I'm relaxed. Completely relaxed actually. You guys are the ones coming on here throwing stats at me and straight out telling me that I'm wrong when I'm just stating an opinion.

NO, I respect your right to an opinion and I AGREE that 7 out of 10 times (or somewhere near there) we'll need Ben to play well to win but we have very clearly won games despite his poor play.

More than anything I'm saying cut the guy some slack for the occasional bad game cause he has earned the right

steelersbabex25
09-11-2011, 11:22 PM
I said we've won games against good teams when Ben had played poorly and she is trying to prove me wrong despite my stating of actual facts

You haven't really given me any examples besides SB XL (which I'll give you) and the 2011 AFCCG, which I'm hesitant to give you because Mendenhall was running like a mad man that game. Every other game that I was provided with that Ben played worse in than he did tonight, the Steelers lost.

STEELyourface
09-11-2011, 11:32 PM
You haven't really given me any examples besides SB XL (which I'll give you) and the 2011 AFCCG, which I'm hesitant to give you because Mendenhall was running like a mad man that game. Every other game that I was provided with that Ben played worse in than he did tonight, the Steelers lost.

OK SB XL we won despite his 22.6

2010 AFCC vs jets we won despite his 35.5

2004 Divisional playoff game vs jets we won despite his 35.5

Those are all VERY CLEAR examples of games where Ben played poorly and we won the game. It DOES NOT MATTER if you are hesitant to "give it to me" or not because it happened. You said we couldn't beat good teams if Ben played as poorly as he did today and you are wrong. Today is passer rating was 54.4

steelersbabex25
09-11-2011, 11:40 PM
Ok. I'm getting pretty sick of arguing about this. All I've been trying to say this entire time was that all we talked about in the offseason was how good our offense was going to be, and how good Ben is, and how many good receivers we have, and I was dissapointed in the effort that was given TODAY. But we'll see how he does in a few weeks when he has to play another good team. And with that, I'm done here.

STEELyourface
09-11-2011, 11:42 PM
Ok. I'm getting pretty sick of arguing about this. All I've been trying to say this entire time was that all we talked about in the offseason was how good our offense was going to be, and how good Ben is, and how many good receivers we have, and I was dissapointed in the effort that was given TODAY. But we'll see how he does in a few weeks when he has to play another good team. And with that, I'm done here.

I think we can ALL agree on that. Plus, I wasn't saying it was likely to win when he played bad just that we could so at least it is possible. I do like though, how you are done with this conversation now that we proved you wrong with concrete evidence.

Katmandu
09-12-2011, 01:02 AM
While I blame a lot of the turnovers on horrendous o-line play, Ben had absolutely no vision. On some of those plays, it looked like he threw it for the sake of throwing it, accuracy and possession be damned. x2. It's as if he knowingly just threw it just to keep from getting sacked.

Maybe he's finally heard all the criticisms about him always getting sacked and now he's swinging to the other end of the pole!

Someone need to tell him a SACK is better than an INT!

Well, most of the time anyways.

greennick
09-12-2011, 01:12 AM

I would say you're more of a pessimist and he is more of a realist. :imho:

DBR96A
09-12-2011, 01:51 AM
Yes, and again I say it's not a coincidence that Ben had an awful season in 06, and 06 was one of our worst seasons that I can remember.

You can't only look at interceptions. The Steelers had 7 turnovers. Ben single handedly caused 4 of them..or was it 5? That stat to me is inexcusable. Especially because all the interceptions were 100% on him, and I think all interceptions led to Ravens points. I just can't excuse this game because he's Ben Roethlisberger. You can tell me to all you want, but I can't do it.

I honestly don't put either of Roethlisberger's fumbles on him. On the first one, Terrell Suggs put a move on one of our offensive linemen (I think it was Doug Legursky), and came flying into the backfield the moment Roethlisberger cocked his arm to throw. Roethlisberger didn't hold it too long either; he took a quick dropback and knew exactly where he was going to throw the ball, but just as his arm was back to throw, he saw Suggs flying straight at him, and then the ball went flying. That's just bad timing and bad luck.

One of the risks on every play is that a defender can hit the QB when the ball is in a vulnerable position, and that's basically what happened on both of Roethlisberger's fumbles. I maintain, though, that the second fumble should not have counted as one because Roethlisberger's arm appeared to begin moving forward just before the ball came loose. Whatever, though. It's not like it would have made a difference at that point.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-12-2011, 10:17 AM
Remember too, Ben did not suddenly become Tavarius Jackson here. He's going to be fine and play better. Today was not his day, it happens sometimes. You would like to think that he is better than to toss 3 INT's in a game and make so many bad throws, but it is what it is.

You have to think he will come out like gang busters next week. He's got the talent, got the targets, now it's up to him and the rest of the offense to put this one behind them.

steelersbabex25
09-12-2011, 12:38 PM
I think we can ALL agree on that. Plus, I wasn't saying it was likely to win when he played bad just that we could so at least it is possible. I do like though, how you are done with this conversation now that we proved you wrong with concrete evidence.

Haha ok, you can think that. However the only person that provided any concrete evidence was me. So...

--- Added 9/12/2011 at 11:38 AM ---

I would say you're more of a pessimist and he is more of a realist. :imho:

:lol: some people say that. And then I say living in this world, if you're a pessimist, then technically you're also a realist.

I honestly don't put either of Roethlisberger's fumbles on him. On the first one, Terrell Suggs put a move on one of our offensive linemen (I think it was Doug Legursky), and came flying into the backfield the moment Roethlisberger cocked his arm to throw. Roethlisberger didn't hold it too long either; he took a quick dropback and knew exactly where he was going to throw the ball, but just as his arm was back to throw, he saw Suggs flying straight at him, and then the ball went flying. That's just bad timing and bad luck.

One of the risks on every play is that a defender can hit the QB when the ball is in a vulnerable position, and that's basically what happened on both of Roethlisberger's fumbles. I maintain, though, that the second fumble should not have counted as one because Roethlisberger's arm appeared to begin moving forward just before the ball came loose. Whatever, though. It's not like it would have made a difference at that point.

This is true. However I don't think I blamed either of the fumbles on Ben.

STEELyourface
09-12-2011, 12:41 PM
Ok, seriously you are going to start in on this again. You asked me to provide examples of Ben playing poorly where we still won the game. I provided 3 examples all against good teams in the playoffs. What do you not understand about that? I'm not saying it is very likely to win if our QB is playing bad but it is possible and has happened.

Scorp
09-12-2011, 12:44 PM
Just bring on the seahawks already.

steelersbabex25
09-12-2011, 12:45 PM
Ok, seriously you are going to start in on this again. You asked me to provide examples of Ben playing poorly where we still won the game. I provided 3 examples all against good teams in the playoffs. What do you not understand about that? I'm not saying it is very likely to win if our QB is playing bad but it is possible and has happened.

Ok and someone (don't remember who it was) provided me with 8 other games in which Ben played poorly. All of which we lost. How do you figure that you provided more concrete evidence when you gave me 3 games (all of which we won because of an outstanding game by a different unit) and I gave you 8.

Btw, I did not start in on this again. YOU did by adding a smart comment to your last post about how I was done because I was wrong. In which case I have to backtrack and say again that you CAN'T be wrong about an OPINION.

STEELyourface
09-12-2011, 12:49 PM
Ok and someone (don't remember who it was) provided me with 8 other games in which Ben played poorly. All of which we lost. How do you figure that you provided more concrete evidence when you gave me 3 games (all of which we won because of an outstanding game by a different unit) and I gave you 8.

Btw, I did not start in on this again. YOU did by adding a smart comment to your last post about how I was done because I was wrong. In which case I have to backtrack and say again that you CAN'T be wrong about an OPINION.

No, I have said MANY times it is not very likely but it HAS HAPPENED. That is all I'm saying. The fact that another unit had an outstanding game is exaclty the point, our team is really good and can pick up the slack when one area of our team isn't functioning as it should. You said we couldn't win with Ben playing like that and I was saying we can and have.

and those 8 other games someone provided were to show you that Ben has played as bad as yesterday and worse and has bounced back to prove some other point you made was wrong as well

steelersbabex25
09-12-2011, 12:53 PM
No, I have said MANY times it is not very likely but it HAS HAPPENED. That is all I'm saying. The fact that another unit had an outstanding game is exaclty the point, our team is really good and can pick up the slack when one area of our team isn't functioning as it should. You said we couldn't win with Ben playing like that and I was saying we can and have.

Ok. I'm sorry. Everything I said was wrong and everything you said was right. You are king of the "Wasn't Ben supposed to be at his best today?" thread.

The end.

--- Added 9/12/2011 at 11:53 AM ---

and those 8 other games someone provided were to show you that Ben has played as bad as yesterday and worse and has bounced back to prove some other point you made was wrong as well

Last thing. I think 6/8 games provided were from 2006. We missed the playoffs in 06.

Done done done done done.

Scorp
09-12-2011, 12:54 PM
:popcorn: :plus1: Thread.

STEELyourface
09-12-2011, 12:55 PM
Ok, that is taking it a little to the ridiculous. I have been wrong many times, trust me no one knows that more than me. I always come out and say "damn I couldn't have been more wrong about that" when it happens. As I have in several threads when talking about yesterdays game even.

I'm not saying you are always wrong, either. If you look back I have agreed with many things that you have said on many different threads, but on this point I'm sorry, but you are wrong and several people other than just me have pointed that out and given actual examples.

Black@Gold Forever32
09-12-2011, 12:56 PM
I was hoping for a big day from Ben yesterday but I think most of the talk of Ben having a great year in 2011 period so one game doesn't make a season.....Ben was flat out terrible yesterday but I'm not going to judge him for just one game when there is 15 still left....Now if by mid-season Ben is still playing like crap then we have a problem......

steelersbabex25
09-12-2011, 12:59 PM
Can't be wrong about an opinion.

Done done done done done.

--- Added 9/12/2011 at 11:59 AM ---

I was hoping for a big day from Ben yesterday but I think most of the talk of Ben having a great year in 2011 period so one game doesn't make a season.....Ben was flat out terrible yesterday but I'm not going to judge him for just one game when there is 15 still left....Now if by mid-season Ben is still playing like crap then we have a problem......

This is pretty much what I've been trying to say. Everyone else is just assuming that Ben will get better, and when you assume, well, you know what happens. I'm not saying that there's no chance for him to play like Ben in the rest of the seasons and he's gonna be stuck in the gutter for the next 15 games. All I'm saying is that I will wait and see how he responds to this particular performance in the upcoming games. And there's a 99% chance that he will be fine. But I for one am going to wait and see.

STEELyourface
09-12-2011, 01:05 PM
Ok, sounds good. I will give him the benefit of the doubt cause he has proved time and again he can bounce back from a bad performance. In my eyes, his success and ability to win games for this team has earned him that right.

Black@Gold Forever32
09-12-2011, 01:12 PM
Ok, sounds good. I will give him the benefit of the doubt cause he has proved time and again he can bounce back from a bad performance. In my eyes, his success and ability to win games for this team has earned him that right.

Agree and that is why I'm not worried......Still if by mid-season Ben is still struggling then it might be time to worry.......I think he will be fine.....I remember the panic after 2008 were the Steelers O crapped the bed against the Eagles that season.....Nobody ever thought the Steelers would go to the Super Bowl that season.......Of course the two bad games by Ben against the Giants and Colts that year were also bad.....But to me that Eagles game was the worse.....The Steelers OL looked really bad and confused against the Eagles.....

It seems every season there is one of the games by the Steelers offense (mainly the OL) and there is panic noway this team is going anywhere with such a poor offensive line but somehow the OL always seems to improve somewhat and the offense does enough to win games....My fear is though maybe the talk of the Steelers aging is true and this team finally needs the offense to carry the load and the Steelers really still don't have the offensive line place for this offense to excel to the best of their ability......

STEELyourface
09-12-2011, 01:22 PM
Right. I just know in all the years of being a Steeler fan they have given me no reason to not believe that they will be fine. The issues will be fixed, the team will play better, and everything will be just fine. I don't overreact to these games because their track record speaks for itself.

I think they have shown some reason to be concerned about the SB hangover, that seems to be a real thing for just about every team, but worst case scenario they will be right back there the next year.

I don't think that will be an issue either and I chose to not panic.

LarryNJ
09-12-2011, 02:35 PM
Ben sucked big time yesterday and we all expected it to be much different. Hell by halftime my beer didn't even taste good. I'm confident that next week the beer will taste good the entire game and Ben will be fine.

DwightJJr
09-12-2011, 05:50 PM
No doubt Ben was terrible but playing catch up and from behind has been his norm so......

STEELyourface
09-12-2011, 06:01 PM
No doubt Ben was terrible but playing catch up and from behind has been his norm so......

I wouldn't say that. He has been wonderful (usually) for us when coming from behind to win the game (26 game winning drives most of anyone since 2004) but I wouldn't say it is the norm. We are in the lead or winning comfortably an awful lot of the time too. We usually get a lead and take the air out of the ball in the second half.

He was definitely not himself yesterday, no denying that, but I'm not worried about it affecting him in the future. I think we are just so accustomed to seeing him find a way to pull out the win for us that playing the way he did was a little shocking and disturbing.

coldrolled
09-13-2011, 07:38 AM
Can Ben roll out of the pocket as a planned play once in a while, or does he just roll out when getting chased by 4 linemen?

or maybe some quick passes to mendy...

Or maybe a few 2 yard slants instead of a run play. a little pats action. seems to get them 511 yards a game and keeps brady untouched..

also, gives brady time for the long ball later. long.. being a ten yard pass and 99 yard touchdown..

we have no offense with Arians face it.