PDA

View Full Version : Let's NOT jump off the cliff yet........

STEELyourface
09-11-2011, 04:17 PM
Well, that was ugly. That was the outcome I expected more or less, just thought the Steelers would be the team dominating.

There is no need to overreact here, these types of unexplicable performances happen from time to time and although, I never expect that type of performance from us, I in no way think that is representative of how our season is going to go.

I think we can all settle down. The coaches and players clearly have some work to do, but this could end up being a good thing. Obviously not ideal but there is no need to panic. There is a lot of football to be played, no one ever won the Super Bowl or didn't make the playoffs in week one.

steelersbabex25
09-11-2011, 04:19 PM
I'm not jumping off the cliff but I'm definitely inching my way towards the edge. Say what you want about how this is only the first game :blah:, but that was just not a promising showing at all. Plain and simple. The superbowl hangover is looking more and more like a reality to me.

harpo
09-11-2011, 04:23 PM
Well, that was ugly. That was the outcome I expected more or less, just thought the Steelers would be the team dominating.

There is no need to overreact here, these types of unexplicable performances happen from time to time and although, I never expect that type of performance from us, I in no way think that is representative of how our season is going to go.

I think we can all settle down. The coaches and players clearly have some work to do, but this could end up being a good thing. Obviously not ideal but there is no need to panic. There is a lot of football to be played, no one ever won the Super Bowl or didn't make the playoffs in week one.

Honestly, I thought the Ravens would win the game but not in this fashion. But I agree, there's no need to overreact. The Ravens wanted it more today. That offensive line played very well.

I think the Steelers came into the game over confident. I really believe that they thought that, somehow, they'd pull this one out no matter how the game started. Let this loss serve as a "wake up" call.

Ibleedblk&gld
09-11-2011, 04:25 PM
i'm posting from the ground...i jumped at halftime

uclkyle
09-11-2011, 04:26 PM
Good post, there is no reason to jump off the cliff. It was sort of the perfect storm. Baltimore has been hearing for MONTHS how they can't beat us, and seemed to have a chip on their shoulder today. There are a few things which make me panic however: SEVEN turnovers, giving up 150 yards rushing, and the Ike Taylor penalty. That really bothered me.

harpo
09-11-2011, 04:30 PM
Good post, there is no reason to jump off the cliff. It was sort of the perfect storm. Baltimore has been hearing for MONTHS how they can't beat us, and seemed to have a chip on their shoulder today...

Exactly. You just had to know that the Ravens would come out and play as the more aggressive and desperate team.

STEELyourface
09-11-2011, 04:38 PM
They ravens had been waiting for a chance at revenge. I really thought we'd beat them twice this year but they got their one and until it actually happens we are always the ones beating them and going deep into the playoffs.

At some point, we were going to give up another 100 yd rusher, we simply weren't going to never allow one ever again.

The TOs, while bothersome, is nothing to worry about. We aren't the type of team that is plagued by that game in and game out all season long. We just didn't have any mojo working today. I'm not going to read into it any more than that.

Obviously we have issues on the O line and in the secondary, but it's not as if those were just going to magically disappear and actually the O line was not that bad early in the game, only after we got down and they could afford to bring it on every play.

Ike played really well if you step back and look at the whole game and we still have young guys to bring along througout the season.

mwittman5
09-11-2011, 04:38 PM
well I'd rather lose this way then a last second touchdown or field goal. It sucks but this is just 1 loss and this isnt college football where 1 loss ruins a season. 7 turnovers is not going to beat anybody especially an upper echelon team like the ravens. Props to the Ravens for being ready but the steelers will bounce back.

Stairwayto7
09-11-2011, 04:46 PM
It would have been easier if we showed up!

BlitzburghRockCity
09-11-2011, 05:47 PM
Nobody is going to jump off a cliff, however I was thinking about it. Seriously though, this one is hard to swallow not so much because of the loss but because of how badly they got outplayed.

We are Steelers fans, we never give up!

Rampage
09-11-2011, 05:55 PM
Only one game, so it doesn't mean that the Steelers are vying for Luck in the draft. It just shows that there are weaknesses that are going to keep this team from being successful if they are not attended to. A kick in the *** early in the season could be a good thing. Plus, would any of us have been shocked if the Steelers lost 24 to 23? Played a tough team on the road and got beat. Now it is time to see what these guys are made of and whether or not they can pull it together. Not time to panic just yet.

STEELyourface
09-11-2011, 05:57 PM
Nobody is going to jump off a cliff, however I was thinking about it. Seriously though, this one is hard to swallow not so much because of the loss but because of how badly they got outplayed.

We are Steelers fans, we never give up!

I'd like to believe that, but from what I can gather from many the posts on here, half the team is full of bums and we're doomed. There is a difference between bitching about getting beat and making ridiculous claims. I saw an awful lot of the latter.

I've always thought that you dance with the person who brought you and so far that has been a pretty successful philosophy. I'm confident that we will be fine and simply got outplayed today. There are definitely some areas of concern but nothing we can't work on and overcome.

Ibleedblk&gld
09-11-2011, 06:01 PM
yes, mcfadden is a bum...ryan clark played like a bum...if they keep playing like this, we're doomed

what's the problem here?

Real Deal Steel
09-11-2011, 06:03 PM
I'm not jumping off the cliff but I'm definitely inching my way towards the edge. Say what you want about how this is only the first game :blah:, but that was just not a promising showing at all. Plain and simple. The superbowl hangover is looking more and more like a reality to me.

There is NO DOUBT this team had the legendary Super Bowl hangover. But a loss like this to you most hated rival, coupled with a hard week of practice from Tomlin will get this team focused again.

Today was embarrassing but it will serve to put the chip on our shoulder that we need for the rest of the season.

--- Added 9/11/2011 at 05:03 PM ---

Mcfadden is a got damn waste!!!!!!!!!

Rampage
09-11-2011, 06:05 PM
McFadden wasn't the reason why the team lost. He doesn't pressure the QB or cover the flat; he doesn't play or protect the QB.

Good ole fashioned bad game, yall.

Stairwayto7
09-11-2011, 06:13 PM
I keep hearing its only one game, cant say I disagree, but if we won 35-7 than would we be telling everyone well slow down its only one game!

Rampage
09-11-2011, 06:15 PM
I keep hearing its only one game, cant say I disagree, but if we won 35-7 than would we be telling everyone well slow down its only one game!

All I can think of is the sodomizing of this team by Brady and company last season. People were pretty upset about that and the team went onto the SB. If the team can't handle Seattle next week, I'll jump off the cliff, but I think it is only one game at this point.

Bigger concern is how the team will handle good opponents. Is this going to be a year where they beat on scrubs and lose to everyone decent?

steelersbabex25
09-11-2011, 06:18 PM
There is NO DOUBT this team had the legendary Super Bowl hangover. But a loss like this to you most hated rival, coupled with a hard week of practice from Tomlin will get this team focused again.

Yeah, I think that's what everyone was saying after we lost 6 of our first 8 the year after XL and then losing 5 of our last 8 after XLIII. "Tomlin/Cowher will get this team focused again."

STEELyourface
09-11-2011, 06:23 PM
Yeah, I think that's what everyone was saying after we lost 6 of our first 8 the year after XL and then losing 5 of our last 8 after XLIII. "Tomlin/Cowher will get this team focused again."

If it gets to that point, I'll jump off the cliff with you, but until then I think we all need to settle down. I can't speak for anyone else, but if we had won 35-7 yes, I would be saying the same thing, "It's only one game, lets not get carried away." I would however be saying it with a smile on my face instead of the scowl I have now!

Remember, we were 7-5 and went on to win SB XL in Detroit.

steelersbabex25
09-11-2011, 06:25 PM
If it gets to that point, I'll jump off the cliff with you, but until then I think we all need to settle down. I can't speak for anyone else, but if we had won 35-7 yes, I would be saying the same thing, "It's only one game, lets not get carried away." I would however be saying it with a smile on my face instead of the scowl I have now!

Remember, we were 7-5 and went on to win SB XL in Detroit.

I'm not saying it'll necessarily get to that point. But I'll say what I was saying before this game was even played. The Steelers, for some reason, always seem to fall victim to the superbowl hangover curse. So if they do go 8-8 or 9-7 this year, I won't be surprised in the slightest bit.

Stairwayto7
09-11-2011, 06:36 PM
Not jumping yet, but we have some issues that got exposed. Harrison was suppose to dominate his tackle, that didnt happen. We let Flacco look great. Maybe we our getting old, where was Smith, Hampton, and Farrior? Maybe Harrison is heart. And our line offensive line should have been focused on more in the offseason.

SteelCurtain68
09-11-2011, 06:43 PM
I not jumping off any cliff. I will be jumping on a bus from NYC traveling to Pittsburgh for the home opener against Seattle next week. GO STEELERS!

BlitzburghRockCity
09-11-2011, 07:51 PM
Everybody is pissed off now, we're irritated and embarrassed by how our team played. Nobody will throw in the terrible towel though, ever. We will respond and we will be back next week.

TEEMONT
09-11-2011, 07:55 PM
reposted from another thread b/c I forgot it was a crime to not scour through all the other posts before posting a new one...

I read through a good number of posts and not once did I notice where anyone (except B&G32) referenced the fact that this is WEEK 1! There are 15 more games to go in this season, and with the way all of the "experts" were blowing the Steelers, this was probably the best thing that could have happened, if the Steelers were going to lose this week.

A loss to the Ravens, sucks, no doubt about that. However, it needed to be like this. They got Seattle next week, who didn't really show up today against the 49ers (or maybe the special teams just left early).

There was a lot fo sloppy play around the league due to lack of conditioing, off-season, yada yada, you guys know the drill. I for one could not be more excited to see how our boys respond.

We'll know everything we need to know about this team around this time next week.

steelersbabex25
09-11-2011, 07:59 PM
Wow. Getting pretty fiesty for a comment that was not supposed to be incriminating at all.

Root4Stlrs
09-13-2011, 08:15 PM
I was ready to jump b/c I haven't been able to get on here since the game so didn't have anybody to commiserate with. That was the worst part. We are all bummed out and I am, too, but I will never be a bandwagoner - they're my team win or lose. I just like the winning better. I'll be at Heinz Field on Sunday yelling like crazy.

RIVERS OF STEEL
09-13-2011, 09:04 PM
Might just do it and take the whole fn Penn State team with me as well. Never. Just ordered new Steelers gear. Let's Roll.

STEELyourface
09-13-2011, 09:30 PM
So I've been thinking about it and this is what I have come up with. This loss looks WAY worse than it actually is. People are freaking out and wanting to make all sorts of changes because they aren't used to seeing the steelers lose like this. Well, neither am I but let's not make sweeping changes just yet. Hear me out:

Normaly when we lose or have a bad game it is because only one aspect of the team struggled. Well last Sunday pretty much every area of the team struggled.

1 If the D is having a bad game the offense is usually there to bail them out. If the O is struggling the defense is usually there to bail them out.

2 If the passing game is having issues, we can usually run the ball to get the offense going. If the run game is struggling we can usually pass the ball and therefore, get the run game going.

3 If the other team is passing the ball on us we make them one dimensional by shutting the run game down and if they are running the ball our pass defense can slow down the other team

Well, on Sunday we had one of those RARE occassions of the ENTIRE team playing poorly therefore no one was there to bail out anyone else and narrowly win or keep it close enough to hide or weaken the effect of some of those deficiencies. That is all it really is.

If we had lost by a touchdown or a FG would anyone really be calling for sweeping changes or would we just be saying, "well, it is the ravens and they usually beat us once a season anyway, I guess this is their one." That combined with the fact that it was week 1 and we don't have 2, 3, or 8 other games to base our opinions on.

I am not worried. I do not think we should suddenly change anything. This team was in the SB last year and has won 2 others in recent history. The success of this team has been built over many years of solid philosophy, schemes, and quality talent. We didn't suddenly forget how to play football and the NFL didn't pass us by while we were sleeping. We just had a bad day and everything will be fine.

I know the O line has its issues and our secondary is struggling too. We have young guys in place, hopefully they will develop the way so many other draft picks have for this team in the past. Every team in this league has an area of weakness that opponents try to exploit, the Steelers are no different accept that so far we have been able to overcome those issues and not only consistently make the playoffs but make it to and win a couple of super bowls.

Goodfrom55
09-13-2011, 09:42 PM
Good Post. Bottom line it was a Murhpy's Law game for the Steelers. They played arguable their worst game in close to 8 years. Only other game worse than this that I remember is when the Steelers played the Texans in the Texans' inaugural season. Steelers racked over 450 yards of offense, held the Texans to under 75 yards total offense and the Steelers LOST 24-3. Why? Turnovers.

Anyway point being, as some have said on here, Steelers needed a punch in the face to bring them back down to earth, and it was game #1. If they pulled this in the middle of the year, I would seriousy be concerned. I ran through the schedule again and I can honestly say I included a loss for the Steelers in this Ravens game, but saw the Steelers going 13-3 or 12-4 at worst and I stand by that claim. Bad matchup with Pats and they might trip up against Houston, but that's about it.

The last point here is through all this, the most important thing, the team appears to be unified and no one is pointing fingers. Sometimes adversity strengthens a man more than success.

STEELyourface
09-13-2011, 09:48 PM
I also highly reccomend reading the post (first one) in the "upon further review..." thread if you have not already. EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ya, I had them going 11-5 before the season started and still believe that is what will happen. I posted a detailed explanation of WHO and WHY we would lose the 5 games. I posted it well before the regular season started and I stand by that post. It is in the regular season schedule discussion thread, if you care to read it, I also had us losing to the Texans.

Root4Stlrs
09-13-2011, 09:50 PM
Of course they're not pointing fingers - they ALL stunk with the exceptions of Ike, Wallace, and Sepulveda. Mendy never had a chance. I'm not saying wholesale changes just a couple of changes we have all been asking for all along. I can't believe they are putting that patchwork OL out there - it's absurd. Now maybe it would be impossible to get Starks and Flo back (I've been like a lot of people and begging for Flo) but I don't even know if they are trying. Starks might not be ready but good grief even if Flo can only play for a year isn't it worth it to keep your franchise QB alive??

Goodfrom55
09-13-2011, 09:54 PM
I also highly reccomend reading the post (first one) in the "upon further review..." thread if you have not already. EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just did, and that was spot on analysis. Running backs like Ray Rice are not going to be tackled by grabbing jersey and pulling; they must be tackled via the defender keeping his head up, and driving his shoulder into the RB's thigh.

Just my opinion, but I think Ziggy earned the right to be the starter this year over Smith. Nothing personal, it simply time.

--- Added 9/13/2011 at 08:54 PM ---

I said it in another post, how long do we have to look at McFadden get beat by a 90 year old using a walker on a corner route? Enough is enough.

STEELyourface
09-14-2011, 01:10 AM
So I've been thinking about it and this is what I have come up with. This loss looks WAY worse than it actually is. People are freaking out and wanting to make all sorts of changes because they aren't used to seeing the steelers lose like this. Well, neither am I but let's not make sweeping changes just yet. Hear me out:

Normaly when we lose or have a bad game it is because only one aspect of the team struggled. Well last Sunday pretty much every area of the team struggled.

1 If the D is having a bad game the offense is usually there to bail them out. If the O is struggling the defense is usually there to bail them out.

2 If the passing game is having issues, we can usually run the ball to get the offense going. If the run game is struggling we can usually pass the ball and therefore, get the run game going.

3 If the other team is passing the ball on us we make them one dimensional by shutting the run game down and if they are running the ball our pass defense can slow down the other team

Well, on Sunday we had one of those RARE occassions of the ENTIRE team playing poorly therefore no one was there to bail out anyone else and narrowly win or keep it close enough to hide or weaken the effect of some of those deficiencies. That is all it really is.

If we had lost by a touchdown or a FG would anyone really be calling for sweeping changes or would we just be saying, "well, it is the ravens and they usually beat us once a season anyway, I guess this is their one." That combined with the fact that it was week 1 and we don't have 2, 3, or 8 other games to base our opinions on.

I am not worried. I do not think we should suddenly change anything. This team was in the SB last year and has won 2 others in recent history. The success of this team has been built over many years of solid philosophy, schemes, and quality talent. We didn't suddenly forget how to play football and the NFL didn't pass us by while we were sleeping. We just had a bad day and everything will be fine.

I know the O line has its issues and our secondary is struggling too. We have young guys in place, hopefully they will develop the way so many other draft picks have for this team in the past. Every team in this league has an area of weakness that opponents try to exploit, the Steelers are no different accept that so far we have been able to overcome those issues and not only consistently make the playoffs but make it to and win a couple of super bowls.

To add to this, the 2012 draft class is looking like it is going to be very strong in the positions of CB, OG, and OT. If the issues aren't solved by the end of the season there is good reason to believe we will be able to get talented players at those positions (as well as others) without having to abandon our typical draft strategy of staying put and letting the player come to us.