PDA

View Full Version : Steelers players anxiously await news of coach

SteelersWoman
01-14-2007, 11:11 AM
http://pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/news/rss/s_488434.html

I loved this story--shows the players are just as excited and nervous about this as we are!

By Scott Brown (sbrown@tribweb.com)
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Saturday, January 13, 2007

Larry Foote said he feels more like a fan than a player.
It's easy to see why since the inside linebacker, like the average fan, is on the outside looking in as the Steelers conduct their search for a head coach.
"I'm real anxious," Foote said Friday. "I'm just going to be watching SportsCenter to see what crawls across the bottom (of the TV screen)." News of who will succeed Bill Cowher as the Steelers' head coach isn't expected to break until some time next week

........(there's more in the middle here that we've heard before, so I edited it out)

Scott Brown cont:

Even before Bill Cowher resigned after 15 seasons as the Steelers' head coach, the players had lobbied for one of the team's in-house candidates for the job if it became available. Foote, the Steelers' second-leading tackler in 2006, said that hasn't changed, at least not with him.
"Me personally, I hope it's Russ or Whis, just the simple feeling of keeping the team together," Foote said. "I know Russ and Whis well, and I know they're both definitely qualified."
That Whisenhunt interviewed a second time with the Cardinals may signal that the Steelers favor Grimm over him if they hire an in-house candidate.
After meeting with Gailey, who has interviewed for the Miami Dolphins' head coaching job, the Steelers may do another round of interviews.
They are, however, not permitted to talk to Rivera again until the Bears are eliminated from the playoffs (Chicago hosts Seattle on Sunday in an NFL divisional playoff game) and Tomlin has yet to be contacted about a second interview.
"To be honest, whatever the organization chooses, I'm for it," cornerback Ike Taylor said. "They've always made good decisions. That's why so many organizations respect them."
Foote said he has stayed in touch with several teammates during the past week. No one he talked to has any idea what the conclusion of the coaching search will be, Foote said.
Whoever gets the job will inherit a veteran team that underachieved in 2006 but is less than a year removed from winning the Super Bowl. "I feel like a fan right now," Foote said, "just anticipating who it's going to be."

House of Steel
01-14-2007, 11:25 AM
I feel exactly like the players do, I sure wish they get on with it and get it over with. Brian Billick's *** is on a red hot seat and heard that they may go after Jon Gruden if he is canned in Tampa, but I doubt that would happen.

I really want Whiz over Grimm. It is getting nerve wrecking with the mystery surrounding this.

BlitzburghNation
01-14-2007, 11:30 AM
I feel just like the players :dunno:
Anxious to see who our coach will be :popcorn:
Just like Ike said The organization will make the right choice for the team :crossfingers:
Go steelers and get that 6th title for steel town :tt02: :bigthumb: :tt02:

BlitzburghRockCity
01-14-2007, 12:04 PM
It's like the week before Christmas when you were a kid. The anticipation is killing me !

Prosdo
01-14-2007, 01:00 PM
I know it is driving me nuts. I can't imagine how much harder it is on the players. They are waiting to see how their whole job is changing and what kind of leader is coming in.