PDA

View Full Version : Jonathan Dwyer more than capable at backup RB

BlitzburghRockCity
09-02-2011, 12:01 AM
Since the debacle (in my best Bill Cowher voice) that Dwyer experienced in showing up to camp out of shape, he's turned himself around completely. He's dropped over 20 lbs and in preseason he's been showing some great moves. On the 50 yd. TD run, he put a perfect juke on the defender and just took off. Dude has some speed man, I had no clue he could run that fast. He finished the night 13 rushes for 88 yds. and 1 TD.

You have to be impressed with his work ethic and how he responded this camp and preseason. Now I know it's mostly against backups but still, I'm a lot more comfortable with the RB's now behind Mendenhall and Redman, than I was a month ago. He ran hard, tough, held onto the ball and isn't afraid to lower his shoulder and knock some guys around.

Black@Gold Forever32
09-02-2011, 12:11 AM
Good since you can never have enough RB's........Redman has a role on this team and its nice to know if injury does happen to Mendenhall that Dwyer can maybe step up to form a nice combo with Redman......

STEELyourface
09-02-2011, 12:30 AM
He was pretty impressive tonight, that's for sure. I figure eventually he'll work his way into some decent playing time for being the 4th guy. I think he is one of those guys that gets better as the game goes along too which is an attribute you love to see in a running back.

He was used to carrying the load in college and being productive. Georgia Tech only passes the ball about 10 times a game so even though everyone knew he was getting the ball he still produced which I'd say is a testament to his ability and toughness. Seems like he'll fit in quite well with the smashmouth mentality.

Real Deal Steel
09-02-2011, 01:08 AM
I had watched Dwyer at Georgia Tech and when we drafted him, I knew he had the talent to be our starter. If Mendy ever got hurt, Dwyer is a better runner and could take Mendy's job. I'm not saying, but I"m just saying..

Katmandu
09-02-2011, 01:23 AM
You have to be impressed with his work ethic and how he responded this camp and preseason.I can't help but wonder if Woodley and Company (Farrior, Harrison, Timmons had something to do with "Motivating" this young buck !

Note to Jonathan Dwyer from SteelerNation..... "Now keep your head out of your Azz and don't let it happen again !! :nono: GOT IT ??? :eek1:

GOOD !!! :yellowthumb:

That's the way SteelerNation operates around here! :helmet: :cope:

Blazedby92
09-02-2011, 04:24 AM
Second coming of Lendale White, he needs to personally Thank B. Batch for the roster spot IF he gets it, one game with scrubs doesn't make him that good,yet. Amazing how guys play their Arse off when it's on the line.
Finally got to see Tate highlights, Man that is the Back I wish we had, he can either run by you are run over you and he was doing a lot of running over people not running out of bounds.

LarryNJ
09-02-2011, 08:43 AM
What a difference a month makes. I'm much more comfortable with the RB situation.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-02-2011, 11:06 AM
Imagine the battle that would have taken place if Baron Batch had not blew out his knee so early in preseason. Dwyer came out and responded to the adversity. Batch looked great for the short time he was in camp. That should be a good battle next year too.

Rampage
09-02-2011, 11:23 AM
Imagine the battle that would have taken place if Baron Batch had not blew out his knee so early in preseason. Dwyer came out and responded to the adversity. Batch looked great for the short time he was in camp. That should be a good battle next year too.

I think a battle next year could be even better than one this year. Batch gets an extra year to mature physically and to study the offense. It seems like he already has a decent build and vision; build upon that and he could potentially be a dangerous player.

TampaSteelGirl
09-02-2011, 01:19 PM
Oh man he did a great job last night...I was as usual impressed with Redman...great spin there in the first drive...Our offense just looks so impressive this year. Oline did a good job for Charlie too

coldrolled
09-02-2011, 05:04 PM
dwyer was great in college and was a great pick for us. let the kid play some ball and he can only get better. this team has to have every rookie run a 75 yard tD their first touch or they suck... look at parker he had the big run once and we kept him for 4 more years doing average running..

STEELyourface
09-02-2011, 05:14 PM
dwyer was great in college and was a great pick for us. let the kid play some ball and he can only get better. this team has to have every rookie run a 75 yard tD their first touch or they suck... look at parker he had the big run once and we kept him for 4 more years doing average running..

I don't understand, no one said anything bad? We all seem to be of the consensus that this kid will be valuable to us. I'll say, I've always liked Moore and thought in the season of SB XLIII he was our best running back. He's gotta be about done though after this season and I'm excited about the possibility of Mendy, Dywer, and Batch all playing next year. We all know it is RB by committee in the NFL these days so it's not like we can't find a use for all these guys.

coldrolled
09-02-2011, 05:49 PM
I don't understand, no one said anything bad? We all seem to be of the consensus that this kid will be valuable to us. I'll say, I've always liked Moore and thought in the season of SB XLIII he was our best running back. He's gotta be about done though after this season and I'm excited about the possibility of Mendy, Dywer, and Batch all playing next year. We all know it is RB by committee in the NFL these days so it's not like we can't find a use for all these guys.

over the last 6 weeks, there has been lots a dwyer bashing..

so i get a bit wound up....

STEELyourface
09-02-2011, 05:57 PM
over the last 6 weeks, there has been lots a dwyer bashing..

so i get a bit wound up....

Oh, I hadn't noticed. I was surprised that Clay didn't pan out, I really thought he would be a fit with us. He's a tough runner. I am NOT surprised that Dwyer made the team and think he still would've even if Baron Batch didn't get injured who I also think could turn out to be a nice late round pickup when it is all said and done.

coldrolled
09-02-2011, 06:05 PM
Oh, I hadn't noticed. I was surprised that Clay didn't pan out, I really thought he would be a fit with us. He's a tough runner. I am NOT surprised that Dwyer made the team and think he still would've even if Baron Batch didn't get injured who I also think could turn out to be a nice late round pickup when it is all said and done.

the acl hopefully doesnt have him loose a step. he could be back and ready to go in 2012.

HUNT4SEVEN
09-02-2011, 08:37 PM
Looks like we have a 3 headed monster in our back field, great for Dec-Feb, Even though we are a passing team now,once we get a nice lead we can unleash the Rb's and keep em fresh!

RIVERS OF STEEL
09-02-2011, 09:16 PM
Dwyer did look damn good against carolina.

igor0190
09-02-2011, 10:26 PM
I'll say something negative...

He was running against a lousy teams backups. He clearly lacks motivation to come into training camp overweight, I suspect it will happen again.

That being said, I havn't watched the Carolina game (PVR'd) and if he actually changes his work ethic, lifts/trains hard, he could become something.

STEELyourface
09-02-2011, 11:31 PM
I'll say something negative...

He was running against a lousy teams backups. He clearly lacks motivation to come into training camp overweight, I suspect it will happen again.

That being said, I havn't watched the Carolina game (PVR'd) and if he actually changes his work ethic, lifts/trains hard, he could become something.

He has shown potential in a couple preseason games and yes he was working against second stringers but at this point in time he's a second stringer to so the playing field was level in theory. I think he's grasped the concept that this is going to be work and will develop into someone we'll be happy to have around.

But yes, the coming into training camp overweight after getting drafted (which is supposed to be the biggest moment in a young players life) is a little bothersome.

igor0190
09-03-2011, 01:29 PM
But yes, the coming into training camp overweight after getting drafted (which is supposed to be the biggest moment in a young players life) is a little bothersome.

Two years straight

BlitzburghRockCity
09-04-2011, 10:39 AM
Isaac Redman started at halfback Thursday night against Carolina, carried four times for 29 yards, caught one pass for 11 yards and bowed out after two series. Jonathan Dwyer replaced him and carried 13 times for 88 yards.

And now a backfield that looked to be somewhat shaky behind Rashard Mendenhall before training camp began has some length and depth to it. Redman is a brute, a big, tough runner who can block, catch, shed tackles and take punishment. He is the clear No. 2 entering this season and could handle the job if Mendenhall were injured.
Dwyer, who reported to camp just over a month ago looking more like a rolly-polly nose tackle, has lost more than 20 pounds and worked himself back into shape. He now looks like the runner who rang up all those numbers at Georgia Tech.

Veteran Mewelde Moore, who re-signed as a free agent just before camp began, has the versatility to do every job including that of punt returner.

"It looks real good, everybody's running pretty good," Redman said of the Steelers 2011 backfield. "Dwyer had a good game, he looked pretty good. We're really picking it up.
"We've been producing. When you put a guy on the field and they produce, it does nothing but instill confidence from the coaches."

Redman lined up for one play at fullback Thursday in the I-formation with Moore. Dwyer did not. Both have been tried there this summer but it does not seem as though either will play that position much. The question of who or if someone will play fullback, or if David Johnson will go back there again, remains unknown. Other than that, the backfield is set with those four running backs.

"If we're doing what we're supposed to do," Dwyer said. "We could probably be the most dominant running backs in the league. I think we have the best depth of running backs in the league. Now we have to go out and prove it week in and week out, not just talk about it but prove it."

From the PG (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11247/1172101-66-0.stm#ixzz1WzUgrYGw)

STEELyourface
09-04-2011, 11:51 AM
One thing about Batch if/when he gets back next season that I think will really help him establish himself is his ability to contribute in the passing game. He was in that pass happy offense in college at Texas Tech and showed there (hopefully it translates and I think it will) he understands blocking schemes and duties, is able to pickup the blitzer and is a pretty good pass catcher out of the backfield. That is generally an area that young guys struggle with and even though he is missing this year I think that could help him from falling too far behind from a development standpoint.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-05-2011, 08:19 PM
Dwyer is still most likely going to spend much of the year deactivated on game day unless injuries force him into action. It's good to know that if they need to call on him he's got some good experience and he's definitely in shape.

STEELyourface
09-05-2011, 08:29 PM
Really? will they not have 4 RBs ready to go on game day or will Dwyer just not be the 4th? I just assumed the way the NFL is these days with RB by committee and how quickly injuries can happen he'd see some time on the field.

K Train
09-06-2011, 10:51 AM
be nice if he turned out to be like blount, since we had a legitimate shot at both of them.

i always liked dwyer, i hope he stays in shape though, he seems to have some bad offseason habits