PDA

View Full Version : Sylvester getting some work at OLB

BlitzburghRockCity
08-31-2011, 02:32 PM
Steeldad and I talked about this on the podcast (http://steeleraddicts.podomatic.com/entry/2011-08-30T19_39_42-07_00) last night (shameless plug). The word is that Lebeau is starting to give Sylvester some work at outside linebacker. This presumably is happening in part due to James Harrison's ongoing back problems. Also the lack of production from Jason Worilds in training camp and preseason still hasn't given Linebackers Coach Keith Butler enough confidence that he'll be effective if/when called upon to play.

Harrison won't be back to full strength for probably 9-12 months, so you have to figure that the Steelers will spell him periodically during the season, especially early on. You would think Worilds would be the odds on choice to step in but that may not necessarily be the case. Stevenson Sylvester has shown a lot of potential though and hopefully this will push them both to step up their game. The Steelers love players that can play multiple positions so it will benefit Sly if he can get some reps on the outside as well.

Either way this will be something we'll definitely have to watch and see what develops.

K Train
08-31-2011, 02:48 PM
its nice that he and timmons both can play OLB if needed

SteelDad
08-31-2011, 02:56 PM
its nice that he and timmons both can play OLB if needed

Amen brother. Hoping it doesn't come to that though.

LatrobePA
08-31-2011, 03:45 PM
I'm afraid we'll need it...Harrison looks very tame at the moment!

Goodfrom55
08-31-2011, 04:27 PM
What the heck is it with the Steelers and their 2nd round busts? If Sylvester can play outside, that would be cool. If not him, then put Foote or Sylvester in the middle with Potsy and SLide Timmons to the outside when Harrison needs a spell.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-31-2011, 05:01 PM
Sly getting work on the outside can only help this team. With the injuries that always seem to happen, having guys available to move around, like the Offensive Line does, will pay off down the road.

Sly is still learning and we've seen him get out of position in game situations but he's getting better each week. I like versatility he brings.

pimplydan
08-31-2011, 11:32 PM
I agree , Sly can motor his behide to the QB , if he can do from the middle he can do it from the end . Give him a chance .
Heart goes a long way ,in everyday life and on the football field .
Worilds seem to have little of , too bad .

PIMP

DanRooney
09-01-2011, 03:44 AM
Need we say why?

http://www.postgameheroes.com/?p=10688

K Train
09-01-2011, 10:48 AM
What they are saying

Jason Worilds continues to be a no-show. He has been pretty solid in coverage but he has generated zero pass rush and cant shed a block in the run game. At some point he needs to start showing us something.

what i said april 2010

fail. hes literally nothing like woodley. woodley is unblockably strong, woodley is vicious and relentless, woodley is pretty slow but has unreal ability to close despite that and is so strong it doesnt matter, woodley is average in coverage but spectacular for his build and body type. graham is a carbon copy of woodley in a creepy way...do you think worilds and graham were similar prospects because other than their position they really arent.

worilds relies on speed on his va tech fast track, he cant shed blocks, he wont dazzle you with sack numbers but he will get QB hurries. hes way more like clark haggans than woodley, he wishes he was like woodley

they were both second round picks, the play similar positions...the comparison ends there

Worilds is the next bruce davis or zo jackson, at BEST hes clark haggans which isnt something id re-invest in

He'll always be the guy to almost get there, but not quite

He tested strong, but his live game play is much too weak, he cant shed a block to save his life

just a little shameless self promotion lol

coldrolled
09-01-2011, 11:26 AM
please let sly play for farrior a bit and let worilds play a game or two.. ****, even the pats let the rookies play a few games before they toss them overboard...

tburg68
09-01-2011, 01:13 PM
Since I enjoy beating a dead horse........

Worilds is a piece of crap and the Steelers will regret letting Thad Gibson go.

coldrolled
09-01-2011, 01:28 PM
Since I enjoy beating a dead horse........

Worilds is a piece of crap and the Steelers will regret letting Thad Gibson go.

i guess the 49ers will too.. we will see sat. if he is still a redskin... maybe we can pick him up on sunday. :banging:

tburg68
09-01-2011, 01:49 PM
i guess the 49ers will too.. we will see sat. if he is still a redskin... maybe we can pick him up on sunday. :banging:

I'm all for it. Steelers tried to get him back before Skins claimed him. He will be a player in this league. He's still young and is perfect for the Steelers scheme.