PDA

View Full Version : Steelers vs Ravens game 1 or 2?

Scorp
08-29-2011, 12:48 PM
Ok. Here is the question i want you to sound off on. Which game do you think will have the most fireworks? With some changes, maybe slight, made to the ravens. Will this still be the same old rivalry we're used to seeing? I think so. Remember, even though they are pitted in week 1 it can still decide who will win the division and conference and maybe a trip to Indy.

I have a pretty good feeling about the primetime game and i love primetime games. But being on the road for the first game on your nemesis' field, c'mon. This is going to bring out the best in the Steelers and the pressure will be on the ravens for wanting to win a championship. You won't want to blink.

STEELyourface
08-29-2011, 01:06 PM
The next one. It's always the next one. Then it will be the next one after that. It pretty much never disappoints. Sure we lose sometimes and that sucks but in the long run it just makes it better for......... you guessed it, the next one!:lol:

In a somewhat related topic I think Ray Lewis is the most overrated defensive player in NFL history. I'm NOT saying he isn't good, he is and a Hall of Famer, but he gets so much hype I think it makes it overblown.

A season (or two) back they showed his career stats vs the Steelers and it was not impressive considering how many times he's played against us in his career. I don't remember exactly but it was along the lines of 8 sacks 2 ints and 50 tackles (close to that and more now as that was at least 4 games ago). He should have some of his biggest games against his biggest rivalry if he truly is as great as he is made out to be. I know he does many things that don't show up in the stat book, mostly run his mouth and whine about calls though!

Root4Stlrs
08-29-2011, 05:49 PM
The next one. It's always the next one. Then it will be the next one after that. It pretty much never disappoints. Sure we lose sometimes and that sucks but in the long run it just makes it better for......... you guessed it, the next one!:lol:

In a somewhat related topic I think Ray Lewis is the most overrated defensive player in NFL history. I'm NOT saying he isn't good, he is and a Hall of Famer, but he gets so much hype I think it makes it overblown.

A season (or two) back they showed his career stats vs the Steelers and it was not impressive considering how many times he's played against us in his career. I don't remember exactly but it was along the lines of 8 sacks 2 ints and 50 tackles (close to that and more now as that was at least 4 games ago). He should have some of his biggest games against his biggest rivalry if he truly is as great as he is made out to be. I know he does many things that don't show up in the stat book, mostly run his mouth and whine about calls though!

If I never see that video of the dance again it will be too soon. They show it CONSTANTLY. My favorite Ray moment was Amos Zereoue running over him a la the Bus and Urlacher. Second favorite was listening to him whine after the 38 - 7 (or whatever the score was) Monday night game in Pittsburgh when they introduced the 75 year team.

Speeed
08-29-2011, 06:19 PM
I don't think he is overrated. I think we just have his number. He is getting old, but he has retained that killer instinct that cannot be coached. Even though I respect his athleticism, I do not like him. Not because of this uniform, but of his demeanor and history.

One of my favorite plays of all time was Steelers vs. Ravens last season. I can't remember exactly what game it was, I think it was after Troy stripped the ball from Flacco. I think it was who Moore took a hand off from Ben and ran for a TD. During the play, Lewis made contact, and to me it looked as if he made a half-tackle trying to strip the ball instead of making a solid tackle, and Moore ran through him into the end zone. Lewis was knocked to the ground in the process and watched Moore run into the endzone from his hand and knees. The was icing on the cake for that game.

I respect his ability and his achievement, as a person, he is thug.

Stairwayto7
08-29-2011, 06:23 PM
BOTH!

But the first one sets the tone, besides you want to start the season 1-0 and 1-0 in the AFCN, and 1-0 against your rival. Not sure Reed and Lewis will make it hrough the entire season at this point. Lewis has been great but father time will catch up with the killer

STEELyourface
08-29-2011, 06:32 PM
When I say he is overrated, I don't mean that he isn't good. He is absolutely a Hall of Famer and has been a great player but he is way over hyped. We do have his number and he is old but thats not the reason I think he's overrated. I don't expect anyone to agree with me on this, I know it sounds crazy. I'm just not blown away by him and don't think he quite deserves the level of praise he gets. Possibly having grown up with a franchise that defines Hall of Fame Linebacker I could just be spoiled.

He does whine a lot too though, doesn't he?? T.O. did the stupid Ray Lewis dance when he scored a touchdown on the Ravens once and he whined about that. If you're going to do a 20 minute dance every time you get introduced you should probably be prepared for people to poke fun at you!

Stairwayto7
08-29-2011, 07:42 PM
LOL Funny stuff! He is good but makes me want to puke

Black@Gold Forever32
08-29-2011, 08:11 PM
Kreider use to jack up Ray Ray all the time....I miss that....lol

Troyisabeast_43
08-29-2011, 09:42 PM
The Ravens will need to win that opening game I believe a lot more then the Steelers will seeing that it's in Baltimore and the pressure of not losing your first game of the season at home to your biggest most hated rival; plus, the Steelers are still in the Ravens heads I believe big time from the two losses they suffered last season late in the year in December and in the playoff game here in January. If the Ravens do not win that game I think they are in serious serious trouble to start the year. To quote 32 I believe Joe Squats to Pee Flacco will once again sit on the pot and create another big turd against the Steelers...

RIVERS OF STEEL
08-29-2011, 09:43 PM
1. Clean up the town. We will win in their house.

coach
08-29-2011, 09:51 PM
That game a couple years ago when a whole whack of guys got knocked out was one of the best games I ever saw. Those hits were clean and bone jarring. Both teams are fresh and I think both teams will be amped up.

Root4Stlrs
08-29-2011, 10:58 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XZDzOGFXts

If you didn't see this on Saturday Night Live at the time, you should watch it. Great parody of the whole MVP to Disney World when the Ravens won the Super Bowl. My favorite part is when Bambi's mother gets shot = I didn't see nothin. I had forgotten about the part about getting ready for Pittsburgh.

Deviouz1
08-29-2011, 11:22 PM
I don't think he is overrated. I think we just have his number. He is getting old, but he has retained that killer instinct that cannot be coached. Even though I respect his athleticism, I do not like him. Not because of this uniform, but of his demeanor and history.

[...]

I respect his ability and his achievement, as a person, he is thug.

sandy vagina much?

Lewis has been great but father time will catch up with the killer

i have a really hard time with people who react like this about rays alleged "murder", especially when they have no problem cheering for Ben. yall dont have a ****ing clue what happened in either case and any reference to how Ray is a thug or a murderer just shows how easily swayed you are by propagandist media. for the record the two other suspects in the case were aquitted and Ray got an obstruction of justice charge. not exactly a murder rap.

listening to people like you with your

Rays a thug and a murderer<angryface>
Bens a horrible evil rapist <horrifiedface>

i dont have any actual evidence in either crime but someone said it was true so, golly, it must be.<blinkblink>

makes me nauseous.

hows about focusing on the game and what the payers do ON the field rather than off. we have a justice system for a reason. let the courts do their job and accept their decision or do something to change it if you think it needs changing rather than forming an impotent /e-lynch mob and making snide remarks regarding things you know nothing about.

/rant

as for ravens v. steelers, if flacco and ben are both healthy, steelers win a tight game. if bens out we probably lose unless Batch puts on his Superman cape again. as for playoffs, its hard to say but im sure it'll be the best game of the year bar none. it usually is. these are my favorite games to watch. steelers v ravens in the way football should be played. hard nosed grind the will out of your opponents exhausted, bleeding body kind of games. :cope:

STEELyourface
08-29-2011, 11:57 PM
The Ravens will need to win that opening game I believe a lot more then the Steelers will seeing that it's in Baltimore and the pressure of not losing your first game of the season at home to your biggest most hated rival; plus, the Steelers are still in the Ravens heads I believe big time from the two losses they suffered last season late in the year in December and in the playoff game here in January. If the Ravens do not win that game I think they are in serious serious trouble to start the year. To quote 32 I believe Joe Squats to Pee Flacco will once again sit on the pot and create another big turd against the Steelers...

I'd have to agree with you about them "needing it" more than us and putting them in relatively "serious" trouble. It will certainly put them behind from the jump and if Joe Sack-O does lay a turd, as you said it could cause some doubt to start creeping in.

sandy vagina much?

i have a really hard time with people who react like this about rays alleged "murder", especially when they have no problem cheering for Ben. yall dont have a ****ing clue what happened in either case and any reference to how Ray is a thug or a murderer just shows how easily swayed you are by propagandist media. for the record the two other suspects in the case were aquitted and Ray got an obstruction of justice charge. not exactly a murder rap.

listening to people like you with your

Rays a thug and a murderer<angryface>
Bens a horrible evil rapist <horrifiedface>

i dont have any actual evidence in either crime but someone said it was true so, golly, it must be.<blinkblink>

makes me nauseous.

hows about focusing on the game and what the payers do ON the field rather than off. we have a justice system for a reason. let the courts do their job and accept their decision or do something to change it if you think it needs changing rather than forming an impotent /e-lynch mob and making snide remarks regarding things you know nothing about.:

My thing is I don't give a f*** what these guys do off the field. Charles Barkley said it best, "I'm not a role model." If they can perform well on the field, I'm happy. If a guy happens to be a really great person in addition to being a good athlete, GREAT, celebrate it but it isn't a prerequisite for me as far as rooting for a guy or being happy he's on my team.

I do think Ray Lewis whines like a little beeyatch a lot for someone who is supposed to be a tough guy.

Deviouz1
08-30-2011, 12:02 AM
My thing is I don't give a f*** what these guys do off the field. Charles Barkley said it best, "I'm not a role model." If they can perform well on the field, I'm happy. If a guy happens to be a really great person in addition to being a good athlete, GREAT, celebrate it but it isn't a prerequisite for me as far as rooting for a guy or being happy he's on my team.

I do think Ray Lewis whines like a little beeyatch a lot for someone who is supposed to be a tough guy.

lol :plus1:

Root4Stlrs
08-30-2011, 08:27 AM
I'd have to agree with you about them "needing it" more than us and putting them in relatively "serious" trouble. It will certainly put them behind from the jump and if Joe Sack-O does lay a turd, as you said it could cause some doubt to start creeping in.

I disagree on one point r/t caring about off field activities. They can have a direct impact on on-field availability - Santonio being the perfect example. Otherwise, I agree that I can root for someone who supposedly isns't a "great guy" as long as he plays well. (I have to say I do enjoy rooting more for a guy who is a great guy off the field.) But as for the role model stuff, in a perfect world we should all strive to be positive role models.
All that said, back to the important stuff - I think the Steelers win in B'more and I think they win big. I have been afraid to say it b/c of silly superstition but having watched the Ravens and thinking about what they did in off-season think they have regressed. If we should happen to lose, I think it will be less of a blow for Steelers than it would be for them. :imho:

Nolrog
08-30-2011, 10:06 AM
The first one, no question. Starting the season 1-0 in the divsion with a win against Baltimore will be huge this year. The team that wins has the upper had in the division title (unless a shocking loss happens, they'll likely do no worse than tied for first.)

LatrobePA
08-30-2011, 10:14 AM
Neither I hate playing the Ravens...

K Train
08-30-2011, 10:24 AM
i actually think game one is going to be easily won by the steelers.

game 2 will most likely be the blood bath weve come to expect

Black@Gold Forever32
08-30-2011, 10:48 AM
i actually think game one is going to be easily won by the steelers.

game 2 will most likely be the blood bath weve come to expect

:yellowthumb:....I posted the other I thought the Steelers were going to win by double digits in week 1.....so I'm with you....I don't know why since Steelers/Ravens games are usually close......But I have this feeling the Steelers come out strong week 1 and win 24-10............

Scorp
08-30-2011, 12:41 PM
This game is nationally televised on cbs. They're showing it in my parts of SteelerNation anyway. Thought i let you all know. Let me know if ya'll on the east will get it.

Goodfrom55
08-30-2011, 03:50 PM
Expectations for the Ravens are high and it is a home game for them. I see Steelers going in as a (+3) underdog, but winning the game because the Ravens are more of a mess on the O-line than the Steelers are.

Speeed
08-30-2011, 07:41 PM
sandy vagina much?

:

"Sandy Vagina? What the hell is that? I have heard some slang in my time, but never that one.

He does have a past. Obstruction of Justice in the process of a murder investigation. He was convicted. What does that tell you? It tells me he was either lying to protect himself or someone else. He lied to police. I hear him on the radio often in Baltimore, and he does have flashes of seemingly well thought out responses to questions and interviews, but for the most part he is a thug.

You seem to shrug it off as if he did not kill anyone. How do you know? He was involved on some level, that is for sure. I can't imagine the character of the guys he was hanging out with that night.

The facts stand, "sandy vagina" or not. The man was present and involved to some extent in a murder and lied about what happened. That is not my opinion, that is fact, "sandy vagina" or not.

I don't understand your pointed comments. :nono:

Deviouz1
08-30-2011, 08:31 PM
:rolleyes:
"Sandy Vagina? What the hell is that? I have heard some slang in my time, but never that one.

you must not get out much.

He does have a past.

a lot of people have a past. as a matter of fact i would venture to say that everyone has a past. wouldnt you?

Obstruction of Justice in the process of a murder investigation. He was convicted. What does that tell you?

"no actual investigation or substantiated suspicion of a specific incident need exist to support a charge of obstruction of justice."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obstruction_of_justice

end of 2nd paragraph.

It tells me he was either lying to protect himself or someone else. He lied to police.

gee golly Beav, break out the noose, its time to go medieval on a mother****er. :rolleyes: you dont know a damn thing about what happened. maybe this dude raped his friends daughter and his friend shanked him a few times for it. who -really- knows what happened? i dont, you dont, so shut the **** up about it until you do.

I hear him on the radio often in Baltimore, and he does have flashes of seemingly well thought out responses to questions and interviews, but for the most part he is a thug.

and im sure you know this from personal experience ya? what the hell do you know about it? just because of the way he talks youre gonna make some BS moral highground judgement about someone you dont even know? he probably grew up in the ghetto, thus the way he talks. if that is a good reason to judge someone then i guess you hate like 70% of the players in the NFL huh?

You seem to shrug it off as if he did not kill anyone. How do you know?

i dont, but without evidence i have absolutely no reason to believe he did either. last time i checked there was such a thing as innocent until proven guilty in this country. looks like someone doesnt like that take on things. hell, lets just throw everyone in jail who has ever been accused of something, shall we? sounds like a great idea to me.

He was involved on some level, that is for sure. I can't imagine the character of the guys he was hanging out with that night.

ymean drunk people? i would agree, i dont drink because i dont like drunk people. they tend to get stupid and violent.

The facts stand, "sandy vagina" or not. The man was present and involved to some extent in a murder and lied about what happened. That is not my opinion, that is fact, "sandy vagina" or not.

the ONLY fact we've seen so far is that YOU have a sandy vagina. after this last post i would veture to say you may even have a sand burr or two shoved up there as well.

I don't understand your pointed comments. :nono:

and i dont understand how you can be such a freaking hypocrite. you should be screaming for Bens head. i mean how can we possibly condone having an accused rapist on our team? cut him before he rapes the waterboy or an opposing teams cheeleaders. and this is what? like the THIRD time? a SURE sign of guilt right?

:nono:

:banging:

JHsilverback
08-30-2011, 09:33 PM
Hey guys new to the forum here...I think the steelers have a very good chance of the winning this first match up against the ravens and hopefully I'll see a win this time live at m&t...btw I recently received a pair of free tickets to the game and have an extra one if anyone is interested in going..ticket is free to whoever wants to go

Speeed
08-30-2011, 09:52 PM
:rolleyes:

you must not get out much.

a lot of people have a past. as a matter of fact i would venture to say that everyone has a past. wouldnt you?

"no actual investigation or substantiated suspicion of a specific incident need exist to support a charge of obstruction of justice."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obstruction_of_justice

end of 2nd paragraph.

gee golly Beav, break out the noose, its time to go medieval on a mother****er. :rolleyes: you dont know a damn thing about what happened. maybe this dude raped his friends daughter and his friend shanked him a few times for it. who -really- knows what happened? i dont, you dont, so shut the **** up about it until you do.

and im sure you know this from personal experience ya? what the hell do you know about it? just because of the way he talks youre gonna make some BS moral highground judgement about someone you dont even know? he probably grew up in the ghetto, thus the way he talks. if that is a good reason to judge someone then i guess you hate like 70% of the players in the NFL huh?

i dont, but without evidence i have absolutely no reason to believe he did either. last time i checked there was such a thing as innocent until proven guilty in this country. looks like someone doesnt like that take on things. hell, lets just throw everyone in jail who has ever been accused of something, shall we? sounds like a great idea to me.

ymean drunk people? i would agree, i dont drink because i dont like drunk people. they tend to get stupid and violent.

the ONLY fact we've seen so far is that YOU have a sandy vagina. after this last post i would veture to say you may even have a sand burr or two shoved up there as well.

and i dont understand how you can be such a freaking hypocrite. you should be screaming for Bens head. i mean how can we possibly condone having an accused rapist on our team? cut him before he rapes the waterboy or an opposing teams cheeleaders. and this is what? like the THIRD time? a SURE sign of guilt right?

:nono:

:banging:

Roll your virtual eyes all you want:

Why am I a hypocrite? I did not mention Roethilisberger one time. You did. That is a different argument. Start a thread, and I will contribute. I will say this, Ben, even after being investigated by two police agencies, has had no charges filed.

Yes, everyone has a past. Some good, some bad. Ray's is bad. He has been convicted of obstruction of justice. And yes, I know what it means. I am educated.

I get out a lot. I have been in bar fights,I have been in car chases, I have been to wild crazy frat parties, I have been chased by police, I have had many unbelievable adventures. I am sure I know a bunch of slang you don't, please don't take it personal. And . . . don't pretend you know me, I just asked what your comment meant. And you attacked me again.

Fact is, and you can misquote me and attack me, Ray Lewis was present at the scene of a murder. He lied to the police about what happened. My opinion is he was a thug before, and he is still a thug. I have been listening to him on the radio and watching him on TV for years. Is he a Hall of Fame LB? Easily. Is he a convicted criminal? Yes. Your argument technique is textbook; change the nature of the argument. You attack me and raise other points of argument as opposed to addressing the actual content of the discussion at hand.

This conversation is over. I will not reply. Your rebut was to attack me (again), and to provide minimal support of your argument by mentioning Ben R. and "everyone" in your reply. You are obviously angry at me, or something else, for some reason. Just chill out and respect opinions. I said nothing personal:tt02:

Deviouz1
08-30-2011, 09:58 PM
Why am I a hypocrite? I did not mention Roethilisberger one time. You did.

and that is exactly the point. if you cant see it then i would argue that youre not as educated as you think.

[edit]and your ninja-edit didnt change anything.

STEELyourface
08-30-2011, 10:51 PM
I disagree on one point r/t caring about off field activities. They can have a direct impact on on-field availability - Santonio being the perfect example. Otherwise, I agree that I can root for someone who supposedly isns't a "great guy" as long as he plays well. (I have to say I do enjoy rooting more for a guy who is a great guy off the field.) But as for the role model stuff, in a perfect world we should all strive to be positive role models.
All that said, back to the important stuff - I think the Steelers win in B'more and I think they win big. I have been afraid to say it b/c of silly superstition but having watched the Ravens and thinking about what they did in off-season think they have regressed. If we should happen to lose, I think it will be less of a blow for Steelers than it would be for them. :imho:

I think we all get a little more enjoyment out of rooting for the "good guys," I just was saying my concern is them showing up and doing their job well. What happens outside the scope of my enjoyment of Steeler success is not really my business therefore, I don't care. That doesn't mean I want them to be bad, I just don't concern myself with it. You are right, it does suck when it leads to suspension issues and whatnot but if you're good enough that can be forgiven too.

Root4Stlrs
08-30-2011, 11:49 PM
I think we all get a little more enjoyment out of rooting for the "good guys," I just was saying my concern is them showing up and doing their job well. What happens outside the scope of my enjoyment of Steeler success is not really my business therefore, I don't care. That doesn't mean I want them to be bad, I just don't concern myself with it. You are right, it does suck when it leads to suspension issues and whatnot but if you're good enough that can be forgiven too.

My generation grew up on Westerns where we were indoctrinated into rooting for the supposed "good" guys LOL. I am totally with you on what players do off the field - I don't worry about it except as it affects my team. I remember exactly how I felt when I heard about what happened in Ga. I actually felt a little sick thinking of what it might mean for the Steelers. I really don't want to resurrect that discussion but I, like many of the people on here, suffered through the torture fest of the 80's - there were a few highlights and I won't get into the lowlights.

STEELyourface
08-31-2011, 12:02 AM
My generation grew up on Westerns where we were indoctrinated into rooting for the supposed "good" guys LOL. I am totally with you on what players do off the field - I don't worry about it except as it affects my team. I remember exactly how I felt when I heard about what happened in Ga. I actually felt a little sick thinking of what it might mean for the Steelers. I really don't want to resurrect that discussion but I, like many of the people on here, suffered through the torture fest of the 80's - there were a few highlights and I won't get into the lowlights.

Ya, I won't get into the GA discussion, but I will admit pretty much the 1st thing I thought of was how does this affect the Steelers and subsequently, me! That's terrible to admit but, hey! I'm just being honest and that's what sports is for me, entertainment and my level of entertainment goes up and down with the Steelers' success. My theory is I ask enough out of these guys on the field and that is where it stops for me, I don't ask for anything off the field so I don't expect anything off the field. I suspect if I had children and they idolized some athlete my opinion on this matter would probably change.

Ya, I grew up with those 80s Steelers and it was tough but my whole family, hell my whole hometown, are Steeler fans so I didn't even have choice! Not that I wanted one.

steelersbabex25
08-31-2011, 12:38 AM
This game should be really interesting. The first game that we'll get to really see all the new rules of the NFL being put into play, and one of the hardest hitting games of the season. Wonder how much the refs will affect the outcome..

Speeed
08-31-2011, 07:47 AM
I wonder how the scandals of yesteryear stack up with today's? On any given day there is a laundry list of professional athleletes with charges or charges pending. Even retired players are getting in on the act.

If fans care about the off-field shenanigans or not, it does add another layer of interest to the game and can easily divide fans.

coldrolled
08-31-2011, 07:53 AM
this first game... we win it, and hopefully we get out of it injury free.

SteelerEyeZ
08-31-2011, 07:54 AM
No doubt the Steelers will be ready for this one, I expect them to go in firing with guns blazing. I hope Ike and the other corners are ready to be picked on because the Ravens are trying to make a team to beat the Steelers. Hopefully the secondary is ready. Troy needs to be at 110% all season.

We live in die with the health of Troy....hate to say it but its soooo true.

One good aspect of this season is that we are heavily loaded in the front of the season with tough games ( when everyone SHOULD be healthy) I can see the second half if things pan out well in the division for use that the Steelers could be resting some player.

steelersbabex25
08-31-2011, 02:33 PM
No doubt the Steelers will be ready for this one, I expect them to go in firing with guns blazing.

I bet the Baltimore fans are saying the same thing about the Ravens..