PDA

View Full Version : Crezdon Butler might have made the team after his performance vs. the Falcons

BlitzburghRockCity
08-28-2011, 05:22 AM
Preseason game #3 was Crezdon Butlers night to shine and he put on a pretty good show. After missing so much time in training camp and preseason, he got a lot of work tonight and came up with 9 Tackles and a 95 yd interception return for a TD.

We can't say for sure obviously if he is going to be on the final roster right now, but even before this game most of us felt like he would be. He showed tonight though that even when he does get beat he can recover pretty well and that break he made on the ball for the interception was exactly how you want to see it done every time. He got burnt a few times but overall he stuck with his man and had a real nice outing.

STEELyourface
08-28-2011, 05:42 AM
I agree, he makes the team and has shown some early signs that he may have the skills we need. See your "3rd down D" thread for my thoughts on Ryan Mundy (post #2), I had a thought..... probably a dumb one though.....

NorCalSteel
08-28-2011, 06:13 AM
He is one of those guys that always seems to be "around the ball" I liked him last year.
:cope: I hope he can make the team and be a big part of it. :helmet:

Zachintosh66
08-28-2011, 08:21 AM
with all due respect... the int was a poorly thrown pass, he didnt excatly make a play on the ball

not trying to be "debbie-downer" just dont wanna blow things outta proportion like w Fox.

JensK
08-28-2011, 08:44 AM
He played pretty well overall. By now tho, I think Donovan Warren have earned himself at least the 4th spot, and he should be considered over Gay at NB.

greg1964
08-28-2011, 09:40 AM
If Warren and Butler making the team means Gay gets cut I'm all for it: for that matter McFadden can go also.

nuclearchihuahuas
08-28-2011, 10:23 AM
with all due respect... the int was a poorly thrown pass, he didnt excatly make a play on the ball

not trying to be "debbie-downer" just dont wanna blow things outta proportion like w Fox.

I agree. I believe the potential is there and I would very much like to see it happen--we absolutely need him to be great....I just don't see it yet. He's a very good prospect, but I am not willing to put him in the starting lineup right now...maybe next year

jpele
08-28-2011, 10:40 AM
If Warren and Butler making the team means Gay gets cut I'm all for it: for that matter McFadden can go also.

If it came to that I'd prefer to keep Gay over McFadden, you can't help the team from the trainers room.

MikeAFC
08-28-2011, 11:26 AM
He is one of those guys that always seems to be "around the ball" I liked him last year.
:cope: I hope he can make the team and be a big part of it. :helmet:

He just like all our other corners "Around The Ball". Right after they let them catch it 10 yds in front of them. 9 tackles? Duh! U have alot of tackles when u can't stop someone from catching the ball

coldrolled
08-28-2011, 12:06 PM

does any player other than troy jump the receiver for a pick or pick 6... not really.

most of our secondary picks are bad throws or tips.

we let them catch and tackle.

now, we cant hit the recveiver hard anymore to force a fumble or its 15 yards, so we better start jumping in front of these receivers to keep the QB on his toes.. or the 3rd downs we get ugly...

Deviouz1
08-28-2011, 12:40 PM

uh, the throw wasnt a bad throw, the receiver slipped/tripped and butler took advantage. ike would have dropped it(assuming he even saw it) or just tried to wave his arms in front of the receivers face.

and there isnt a receiver on the starting lineup that doesnt get burnt as much or more than butler did last night. ike does better than most and i wouldnt say butlers coverage skills are as good as ike's but i would rather have 1 butler than 10 willy gays. butler just needs more actual play time and i think he's gonna be an important part of our future secondary.

UKSTEELER
08-28-2011, 12:45 PM
The reality remains that Ike is the only corner on the team capable of playing a receiver up close in 3rd down situations.

We prefer to play the percentages and we need to be considering who else might play opposite.

BMac coming in cold in a couple of weeks fills me with dread, I wouldn't be adverse to Butler or Warren seeing some proper game time, I don't see a massive drop off in production between them and Bmac/Gay.

Lewis remains an enigma, he's more Ike than BMac, this needs to be his year, hopefully he can stay fit and show us what he's capable of.

A fast tracking of Brown and Allen could be the answer, but not going to help this year.

Still a glaring weakness, that teams would be crazy not to exploit. I suspect opposing OC's will be running a glut of 10 yard outs, just like they did last season.
:helmet:

Black@Gold Forever32
08-28-2011, 06:45 PM
I liked Butler last year and I do think he makes the team........

coach
08-28-2011, 07:02 PM
The reality remains that Ike is the only corner on the team capable of playing a receiver up close in 3rd down situations.

We prefer to play the percentages and we need to be considering who else might play opposite.

BMac coming in cold in a couple of weeks fills me with dread, I wouldn't be adverse to Butler or Warren seeing some proper game time, I don't see a massive drop off in production between them and Bmac/Gay.

Lewis remains an enigma, he's more Ike than BMac, this needs to be his year, hopefully he can stay fit and show us what he's capable of.

A fast tracking of Brown and Allen could be the answer, but not going to help this year.

Still a glaring weakness, that teams would be crazy not to exploit. I suspect opposing OC's will be running a glut of 10 yard outs, just like they did last season.
:helmet:

I think teams will try this, too. The good news is:

Atlanta has weapons and Ryan threw 50 times in first half, and the D played well.
The front 7 looks like it will be as strong and deep as it has been for a long time.

LatrobePA
08-28-2011, 07:14 PM
A pick is a pick peeps!!

HUNT4SEVEN
08-28-2011, 08:01 PM
Butler and Lewis and Warren makes the team unless Lewis knee injury is serious,Butler did great tonight and he is only gonna get better, butler and Warren made sure tackles after the receivers caught the ball and that's what our D requires of them, i'm actually excited about the young DB's we have, Even Clark has covered better this preseason minus the first preseason game, i wouldn't be surprised if sum veteran DB's get cut in the final cut...

Dobre Shunka
08-28-2011, 08:38 PM
Butler looks decent and I'm hoping C Brown can show something too.

AT this position and system it can take years. Hopeful.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-28-2011, 08:55 PM
I've been drinking the Crezdon Kool Aid since last season. I like his closing speed and nose for the ball. Hopefully this is just the beginning of great things from him.

Real Deal Steel
08-29-2011, 01:23 AM
What do the Eagles want for Assante Samuels? I want a CB that can actually make plays on the ball for a change.

A guy gets a lucky int. from a poorly thrown ball isn't what I"m looking for.

Diehardsteel
08-29-2011, 01:28 AM
What do the Eagles want for Assante Samuels?

It doesn't even matter because we're not going to get him. I thought we should have went after at least one veteran CB just as insurance. We just have to deal with what talent we have and hope for the best.

STEELyourface
08-29-2011, 01:31 AM
It doesn't even matter because we're not going to get him. I thought we should have went after at least one veteran CB just as insurance. We just have to deal with what talent we have and hope for the best.

I really want to explore the possibility of moving Mundy over to CB. I know I'll get killed for it but I really think that is an option.

Root4Stlrs
08-29-2011, 01:42 AM
I really want to explore the possibility of moving Mundy over to CB. I know I'll get killed for it but I really think that is an option.

Why should you get killed? You have a right to your opinion. Who knows - it might work o.k. like it did when Carnell Lake moved over to CB when Rod got hurt years ago. I realize that the two players aren't comparable b/c Carnell was something special. Related to thoughts on Butler, I find it hard to evaluate when they are playing against second or third team. I find myself getting too excited about plays like that and have to remind myself that they might not look so good against the first team. Honestly, it was such a cluster with the DBs most of the first half it was hard to really evaluate. I mean some of the plays were outstanding but many were just horrible.

Diehardsteel
08-29-2011, 01:46 AM

That's interesting and something I never considered. I can't wait to see where everyone lands on the depth chart come week 1. I was honestly really hoping we'd trade up when Prince Amukamara fell in the draft.(I might get killed for that one):lol: Especially because of our issues and uncertainty at the CB position. We know what we're doing though. It will all work itself out in the end.

STEELyourface
08-29-2011, 01:57 AM
That's interesting and something I never considered. I can't wait to see where everyone lands on the depth chart come week 1. I was honestly really hoping we'd trade up when Prince Amukamara fell in the draft.(I might get killed for that one):lol: Especially because of our issues and uncertainty at the CB position. We know what we're doing though. It will all work itself out in the end.

It will all work itself out. I feel so lucky that my team has solid FO and coaching staff compared to so much of the dumb stuff you see others doing.

I had the same thought on Amukamara, I really wanted to wind up with him but knew it wouldn't happen.

I posted something about the Mundy thing in another thread too. He went to WVU and I watched him quite a bit. I know he has cover skills and feel confident he could make the switch. I'm sure there are plenty of reasons not to do it and I'm sure it wouldn't happen but I'm convinced it would work out nicely.

Hopefully one (hell why not 2) of the younger guys will end up being what they expected and it won't be an issue. Just something I thought was worth sparking a conversation about.

DBR96A
08-29-2011, 03:29 AM
After seeing Crezdon Butler's highlight reel at Clemson, I've been high on him. He showed some ballhawk tendencies. I hope that he eventually becomes a starter opposite Ike Taylor. Taylor has the best coverage skills of any of our CBs, but Butler already has the best ball skills.

Blazedby92
08-29-2011, 07:15 AM
Hoping the best young CB has a coming out party but one little INT in preseason I don't think has much pull on if he is good. I think we won't see any young CB's starting til early mid season maybe if any.

pimplydan
08-29-2011, 07:41 AM
I think Crezdon was asked to keep his receiver in front of him , not to get beat over the top . Plus he was going up again roddy White and Julius jones , give the guy a break.

Crez has the nack for the ball , don't worry fellas , give the guy playing time and he won't disappiont . I see a playmaker in him .

Don't forget he has size and speed and hands so it's just a matter of time .(playing time)
give him 3 , 4 games , then you'll see :2cents:

BlitzburghRockCity
08-29-2011, 09:14 AM
The Steelers have had far more questions than answers at the corners of their defense.

And for the second game in a row, injured starting cornerbacks Ike Taylor and Bryant McFadden watched from the Heinz Field sideline during Saturday's 34-16 win over the Atlanta Falcons.

When McFadden's backup, Keenan Lewis, hobbled off with a left knee injury in the second quarter, defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau was down to his third option, Crezdon Butler.

Butler, who sat out last week's victory against Philadelphia with a strained quadriceps, intercepted a Chris Redman pass on the first snap of the fourth quarter. The second-year player sprinted untouched down the left sideline for a 95-yard touchdown that sent a jubilant crowd of 56,754 rushing toward the exits.
"The defensive line got some pressure, and I did a speed turn to get on top of the route," said Butler, who added a game-high nine tackles. "I had no idea I had daylight. I just ran."

Butler felt compelled to do something special considering he's fighting Lewis for playing time, if not the starting job ahead of McFadden. Taylor, conversely, suggested McFadden is likely to be in the starting lineup when the Steelers open the regular season Sept. 11 at Baltimore.

"(Butler) is a gamer, and he gives himself opportunities because he's a good ballplayer," Taylor said. "But with (McFadden), we won two Super Bowls. We won a Super Bowl with William Gay. People keep talking, and we keep winning."
Lewis, whose injury isn't considered serious, had a hard time covering Atlanta's Roddy White, who finished with a game-high eight receptions for 101 yards and caught a 10-yard touchdown pass from Matt Ryan in the second quarter.
"You can never have enough good guys in the secondary," Taylor said, shunning criticism that McFadden and William Gay have become liabilities. "The young guys are starting to progress, but they have to make plays on a consistent basis. We can't get caught up with these preseason games where they make a play here and play there."
The excitement of Butler's score was tempered when Atlanta receivers beat him three times afterward. He surrendered two first-down receptions when he tried to make a play for the ball instead of attempting a sure tackle.
"We've got a great run-stop defense and a secondary that comes up to hit," said Butler, who hopes to make his first start in the preseason finale Thursday at Carolina. "Obviously, we felt they were going to try us, but we held up. ... I haven't tackled in a while, so I need to work on my tackling."

Taylor agreed, then added that Butler won't truly be tested until he lines up against the Ravens.

"We want to see these guys do it at crunch time and when you know they're coming," he said. "There's a difference between playing the preseason and teams game-planning for you. I know they're going to (test) me when I get back, but if I handle my business, they have to go somewhere else."

And quarterbacks likely will try to feast on the Steelers' seemingly vulnerable left corners: McFadden, Lewis and Butler.

"If a guy goes down, we don't want teams to think of us as second- or third-stringers," Butler said. "We want to play like first-teamers."

From the Trib (http://www.steeleraddicts.com/forum/Backup%20Crezdon%20Butler%20fights%20for%20startin g%20job%20on%20corner%20-%20Pittsburgh%20Tribune-Review%20http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_753954.html#ixzz1WQ41Y69Y)

coldrolled
08-29-2011, 09:40 AM
I think Crezdon was asked to keep his receiver in front of him , not to get beat over the top . Plus he was going up again roddy White and Julius jones , give the guy a break.

Crez has the nack for the ball , don't worry fellas , give the guy playing time and he won't disappiont . I see a playmaker in him .

Don't forget he has size and speed and hands so it's just a matter of time .(playing time)
give him 3 , 4 games , then you'll see :2cents:

Playing Time is the Key Word.... It is a forgotten element in steelers football. i think it is more a financial thing than a capability thing. keep them down and pay less later... ouch... :thinking:

pimplydan
08-29-2011, 10:34 AM
mmm, I never taught about the money thing , maybe we are getting somewhere !

Deviouz1
08-29-2011, 12:00 PM
why do people keep saying it was a poorly thrown ball? it wasnt, the receiver tripped/slipped.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vp5556S9YqQ

watch the second replay, the commentator even mentions it.

wtf?

LatrobePA
08-29-2011, 12:05 PM
People bitch when they don't get picks and they bitch when they do, you can't win...lol

Zachintosh66
08-29-2011, 12:40 PM
why do people keep saying it was a poorly thrown ball? it wasnt, the receiver tripped/slipped.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vp5556S9YqQ

watch the second replay, the commentator even mentions it.

wtf?

regardless, if the WR slipped or not, only way the WR had a chance to catch it was if he dove to his left... watch it again... Butler was in right place at right time. Poorly thrown ball. Lord knows Im all for one of these young kids to step up, i was just being cautious not to crown this kid b/c he was given a gift wrapped pick 6. (Well, at least the Pick.) I remember people on here calling for Fox to start (you know who you were) after he got a gift wrapped pick six too... just didnt want to jump the gun!

K Train
08-29-2011, 12:48 PM
ive always liked butler, im glad he got some quality playing time. im all for him and lewis and warren all making the team...all 3 can play CB and FS

hopefully curtis brown gets his feet wet at NB sooner rather than later

Black@Gold Forever32
08-29-2011, 01:01 PM
I was whining for Butler to play more last year.....I know he would have made mistakes but the best way for players to learn is getting some game action......

Deviouz1
08-29-2011, 01:31 PM
Butler was in right place at right time.

many of the greats made a habit out of being in the right place at the right time. someone else here said, and i agree, that Butler has a nose for the ball and tends to be in good position to take advantage of situations. im not trying to "crown" the kid as you put it, im just saying that we shouldnt take anything away from him just because he took advantage of a situation that presented itself. a situation he put himself in. and at least he SAW the damn thing unlike ike. has ike ever actually looked away from a reciever? every time i see him he's staring at the receiver and waving his arms in the air. and yet people are swinging from his nuts like he's a perrennial pro bowler and a shoe-in for the hall of fame.

i just dont get it.

Troyisabeast_43
08-29-2011, 10:52 PM
Butler I feel is good enough to start at corner on this team at this point and time if McFadden cant go in the opener. Id love to see Curtis Brown get on the field more as well and help this team out on 3rd down and get his role more expanded as the season moves forward...

BlitzburghRockCity
08-29-2011, 11:04 PM
If BMac isn't ready to go you gotta think it's Gay that will take over that job until he returns. Lebeau loves his veterans. That would put potentially Lewis at NB, if he's ready to go. I'd like to see Butler or Warren get a shot at NB but it all hinges on the health of McFadden right now IMO.

tburg68
08-30-2011, 02:21 PM
McFadden and Gay can both go bye bye. Same broken record. The young guys can't be worse than they are and we will never know until the coaching staff plays them in the regular season.

I really hope McFadden goes, he has been nothing but a walking injury since the Steelers brought him back. Everyone sucks from the sidelines.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-31-2011, 01:32 PM
Be careful what you wish for, McFadden and Gay may not be the best but putting in rookies to start comes with a lot of growing pains. If you think Gay or BMac get beat, imagine putting 1st or 2nd year guys in there to play against top flight receivers. Butler has shown flashes of great play, so has Lewis, and Warren. I'm not completely sold on any of them starting though. I'd be ok with cutting either BMac or Gay, but definitely not comfortable cutting both.

STEELyourface
08-31-2011, 02:01 PM
Be careful what you wish for, McFadden and Gay may not be the best but putting in rookies to start comes with a lot of growing pains. If you think Gay or BMac get beat, imagine putting 1st or 2nd year guys in there to play against top flight receivers. Butler has shown flashes of great play, so has Lewis, and Warren. I'm not completely sold on any of them starting though. I'd be ok with cutting either BMac or Gay, but definitely not comfortable cutting both.

:plus1:

Well said!! I'm all for the coaching staff picking one (Lewis, Butler, or Warren), whichever one THEY see as the long term anwer and inserting them into the starting lineup from week 1. That being said, keep either Gay or BMAC (for now) for when the the youngsters aren't getting it done and/or having confidence issues.

Rampage
08-31-2011, 02:31 PM

I can accept the growing pains due to the fact that these guys bring upside and potential to the table; with Gay and BMac it's a "what you see is what you get," situation. I don't want to see anyone in the secondary getting tooled by opponents; however, I would not mind seeing Butler, Brown, Lewis or Warren on the field just to get them reps in real games. Hard to think the secondary could get a whole lot weaker, so now is as good a time as any to give these guys reps in my eyes. If not now, when?