PDA

View Full Version : Byron Leftwich serious elbow injury

BlitzburghRockCity
08-27-2011, 09:58 PM
He left the game in the 3rd quarter. Ed Bouchette said he was screaming in pain. No official update yet though.

Update after the game:

Steelers backup quarterback Byron Leftwich broke his left arm in the third quarter Saturday night and likely will be out for the season.

But coach Mike Tomlin refused to say that after a 34-16 victory against the Atlanta Falcons.

"I don't have the time he is going to be out, but I am sure it will be an extended period of time," Tomlin said.

Leftwich suffered the injury when he landed awkwardly after scrambling for 6 yards. He immediately ran to the sideline screaming in pain.
"It is disheartening," receiver Antonio Brown said. "To see him in that type of pain really hurt me."

Leftwich was wheeled through the locker room after the game on a gurney as teammates and coaches wished him well.
Leftwich's injury paves the way for the Steelers to keep both Charlie Batch and Dennis Dixon. Before the injury, one of them likely would have been cut before the season opener.

"It just goes to show you it's good to have four NFL-capable quarterbacks in a training camp-like setting," Tomlin said. "It always has a way of working its way out."

From the Trib (http://www.steeleraddicts.com/forum/Broken%20arm%20puts%20backup%20Leftwich%20on%20ben ch%20-%20Pittsburgh%20Tribune-Review%20http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_753885.html#ixzz1WJAmKmiy)

steelersbabex25
08-27-2011, 10:03 PM
Wow. Earlier today I said I doubted we would need Dixon or Batch. Oops.

Katmandu
08-27-2011, 10:29 PM
just reported on TV..... Byron rushed to the hospital.....

His arm looked like a friggin PRETZEL on TV !!

--- Added 8/27/2011 at 09:29 PM ---

One of the Falcon's fat assed lineman fell directly on Byron's arm!!

steelersbabex25
08-27-2011, 10:34 PM

No they didn't...

Steelers_All_Day_43
08-27-2011, 10:35 PM
just reported on TV..... Byron rushed to the hospital.....

His arm looked like a friggin PRETZEL on TV !!

--- Added 8/27/2011 at 09:29 PM ---

Is there a vid?

steelersbabex25
08-27-2011, 10:36 PM
Is there a vid?

http://www.sportsgrid.com/nfl/byron-leftwich-leaves-falcons-steelers-game-with-injury/

Nobody was anywhere near his arm.

Thisoneguy555
08-27-2011, 10:44 PM
Season ending injury for sure, lets just up it isn't a career ending injury.

cmerrifield
08-27-2011, 10:49 PM
The official twitter acct of the Steelers said he didnt go to the hospital

Thisoneguy555
08-27-2011, 10:55 PM
As of right now, it's a broken arm. No additional information is known.

nuclearchihuahuas
08-27-2011, 11:02 PM
Charlie better get some playing time next week

Root4Stlrs
08-27-2011, 11:03 PM
Tomlin said he broke his arm.

steelersbabex25
08-27-2011, 11:04 PM
Tomlin said he broke his arm.

That's specific...

STEELyourface
08-27-2011, 11:10 PM
To whoever said I hope its not career ending:

I don't think it will be a career ending injury for him. I watched him get the hell beat out of him in college and he always made it back to play from week to week. I fully expect him to be back, don't know how many years he has left but he'll be back.

The length of his career was significantly shortened by the way he was abused in college with no consideration for his future. If you've never seen it google the video of his O-line carrying him down the field after every play with a broken leg vs Kent St in college. It was the craziest thing ever! Broke his leg mid game and they just put him in the shotgun and he'd chuck it all over the field and stand there until his line came and picked him up and put him down and then proceed to do the same thing over and over!

In fact, here is a short one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-jzYMSiNHQ

Root4Stlrs
08-27-2011, 11:10 PM
That's specific...

Really - Tomlin also said he would be out an "extended" period of time. I just know it was pretty bad to look at.

RIVERS OF STEEL
08-27-2011, 11:14 PM

36 years young

Katmandu
08-27-2011, 11:15 PM
http://www.sportsgrid.com/nfl/byron-leftwich-leaves-falcons-steelers-game-with-injury/

Nobody was anywhere near his arm.Look at the (10) Second mark on that video. The dude come flying in and hits Byron's arm as he's falling and goes rolling out behind him.

Byron's arm was tucked up under his chest and the Falcon's dude compressed it as he rolled over him.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-27-2011, 11:17 PM
Broken in 4 places. Wow!!!

steelersbabex25
08-27-2011, 11:18 PM
Look at the (10) Second mark on that video. The dude come flying in and hits Byron's arm as he's falling and goes rolling out behind him.

Byron's arm was tucked up under his chest and the Falcon's dude compressed it as he rolled over him.

Not even close.

--- Added 8/27/2011 at 10:18 PM ---

Are you kidding me?! That's some serious stuff.

LatrobePA
08-27-2011, 11:24 PM

Holychit

BR7
08-27-2011, 11:31 PM
Look at the (10) Second mark on that video. The dude come flying in and hits Byron's arm as he's falling and goes rolling out behind him.

Better watch from the 1:00 mark, like she said, not even close.

ouch

BlacknGold Bleeder
08-27-2011, 11:34 PM

well looks like Bryon will be sporting a new steel plate in that arm... I din't see the Falcon guy hitting him, to me it was tucked up under him and he came down on it really bad, I mean after all he is a pretty big boy himself...

SteelersfaninPhilly
08-27-2011, 11:36 PM
Hearing Bryon is out for the year.

BlacknGold Bleeder
08-27-2011, 11:41 PM
Hearing Bryon is out for the year.

Breaking your arm in 4 places will do that for ya :lol:

BTW welcome back long time no see

LatrobePA
08-27-2011, 11:41 PM
Even if someone landed on him it's freaking football. His arm broke under his own weight.

BlacknGold Bleeder
08-27-2011, 11:44 PM
Even if someone landed on him it's freaking football. His arm broke under his own weight.

That's what it looked like to me...

Zachintosh66
08-27-2011, 11:47 PM

hope not, he'll break something too

steelersbabex25
08-27-2011, 11:50 PM

A hip :scratch: :dunno:

Black@Gold Forever32
08-27-2011, 11:52 PM
**** I'm ready for Charlie to fart and then just turn to dust....lol

BlacknGold Bleeder
08-27-2011, 11:56 PM
Maybe we pick up that Palmer guy who got cut by Cincy ...:lol:

LatrobePA
08-27-2011, 11:58 PM
BL out until at least October but it looks like they'll go with dixon and place BL on IR. Just some early thoughts I'm reading.

Black@Gold Forever32
08-28-2011, 12:00 AM
Carson's little brother Jordan.....no thanks....lol

Thisoneguy555
08-28-2011, 12:07 AM
To whoever said I hope its not career ending:

I don't think it will be a career ending injury for him. I watched him get the hell beat out of him in college and he always made it back to play from week to week. I fully expect him to be back, don't know how many years he has left but he'll be back.

The length of his career was significantly shortened by the way he was abused in college with no consideration for his future. If you've never seen it google the video of his O-line carrying him down the field after every play with a broken leg vs Kent St in college. It was the craziest thing ever! Broke his leg mid game and they just put him in the shotgun and he'd chuck it all over the field and stand there until his line came and picked him up and put him down and then proceed to do the same thing over and over!

In fact, here is a short one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-jzYMSiNHQ

Getting the hell beat out of you is different than a broken bone. Most players do not return after they break a large bone like an arm bone or leg bone. And if they do, they usually play very poorly. Now the break was on his left arm, which isn't his throwing arm, so it wouldn't effect his play much, but he might not be able to pass a physical when he returns. If a player can't pass an NFL physical, they can't play, thus causing them to retire, or sit out a couple years to rehab, but he's 31, how strong can his body be after so much physical punishment? Who knows.

I have a cat that's literally been on the edge of his live many times, but he's still alive and he's like 14 and in perfect health. Maybe Byron has nine lives.

StlersGuy
08-28-2011, 12:09 AM
Just got a text from the Steelers that said he broke his left arm

Sent by way of a Droid

STEELyourface
08-28-2011, 12:11 AM
Getting the hell beat out of you is different than a broken bone. Most players do not return after they break a large bone like an arm bone or leg bone. And if they do, they usually play very poorly. Now the break was on his left arm, which isn't his throwing arm, so it wouldn't effect his play much, but he might not be able to pass a physical when he returns. If a player can't pass an NFL physical, they can't play, thus causing them to retire, or sit out a couple years to rehab, but he's 31, how strong can his body be after so much physical punishment? Who knows.

I have a cat that's literally been on the edge of his live many times, but he's still alive and he's like 14 and in perfect health. Maybe Byron has nine lives.

My point was only that he always comes back and I didn't say this year but I figure he'll be back next and maybe for a few more. He's only been in the league a year longer than Ben (2 at most). Plus, the point of the video was to show him playing with a BROKEN LEG, he finished that game and played everyone for the rest of that season on it. I know he's a lot older now, but the dude is tough and he has a little left in the tank. I hope to see him back cause he's a great backup and I personally like the guy.

Obviously you didn't read my entire post because your comment about breaking a large bone being different doesn't make sense if you did.

Thisoneguy555
08-28-2011, 12:19 AM
My point was only that he always comes back and I didn't say this year but I figure he'll be back next and maybe for a few more. He's only been in the league a year longer than Ben (2 at most). Plus, the point of the video was to show him playing with a BROKEN LEG, he finished that game and played everyone for the rest of that season on it. I know he's a lot older now, but the dude is tough and he has a little left in the tank. I hope to see him back cause he's a great backup and I personally like the guy.

I'm not saying you're wrong, just suggesting we should hope it isn't for his sake of being a player. But just the injury itself is something not many people just come back from, toughness has nothing to do with it, if you physically can't do a push up without your arm collapsing under your own weight, you aren't going to play football anymore.

STEELyourface
08-28-2011, 12:25 AM
I'm not saying you're wrong, just suggesting we should hope it isn't for his sake of being a player. But just the injury itself is something not many people just come back from, toughness has nothing to do with it, if you physically can't do a push up without your arm collapsing under your own weight, you aren't going to play football anymore.

I realize that. I didn't think you were necessarily saying I was wrong either. You just wrote that breaking a bone, especially an arm or leg is different and I had posted a video of him playing on a broken leg.

He's getting old and he's older than he should be in football years, but the only way I see him not making it back (eventually) is if DD proves we don't need Byron or something along those lines. Obviously, I could be wrong about this, wouldn't be the first time.

LatrobePA
08-28-2011, 12:39 AM
Dixon is the #2 Qb.

igor0190
08-28-2011, 01:28 AM
Byron throws with his right arm, correct?

He broke his left arm, right?

If that's the case I don't see it being career ending necissarily. The Steelers need to seriously consider getting a veteran backup in Pittsburgh as Batch is no spring chicken.

steelersgal86
08-28-2011, 07:57 AM

If that's the case I don't see it being career ending necissarily. The Steelers need to seriously consider getting a veteran backup in Pittsburgh as Batch is no spring chicken.

Yes...everything I read says left arm....but still sucks :rant2:

coldrolled
08-28-2011, 08:17 AM
it looked broke. he broke either broke it near the elbow or he did break the elbow area. he was in pain. he is too old. we need to let him retire an move on...

we need strong mobile QB's for the Arian Offense.

nuclearchihuahuas
08-28-2011, 08:52 AM

:lol::lol: I thought that the second I wrote it. He needs to get in there but he's breakable too!

--- Added 8/28/2011 at 07:52 AM ---

I also doubt its career ending, but I do think it likely to be season ending. We need a veteran QB to back up Ben who ISNT breakable.:grin1:

jpele
08-28-2011, 09:35 AM
MarkKaboly_Trib Mark Kaboly
No doubt that #steelers Leftwich suffered a humerus fracture to his left arm. Healing time is 3-4 months. Surgery and will be placed on IR

BlitzburghRockCity
08-28-2011, 10:57 AM
Leftwich has been in the league for about 8 years now, so he's no spring chicken but still has football left to be played. No reason to think it's career threatening at this point. Looking at pictures of it and hearing from those on the sidelines, it's definitely doesn't appear to be your typical break.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-29-2011, 12:16 AM
Latest update from the Trib (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11240/1170594-100.stm#ixzz1WO7jaGXh)

Byron Leftwich's broken left arm may not cause him to miss the entire 2011 season, though it has not been determined how long he will be out, a source told the Post-Gazette.

Leftwich, the team's No. 2 quarterback, was injured while scrambling on the first series of the third quarter in Saturday night's 34-16 victory against the Atlanta Falcons.
The Steelers have not updated Leftwich's condition and probably won't do so until he is fully evaluated.

LatrobePA
08-29-2011, 09:10 AM
Latest update from the Trib (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11240/1170594-100.stm#ixzz1WO7jaGXh)

Byron Leftwich's broken left arm may not cause him to miss the entire 2011 season, though it has not been determined how long he will be out, a source told the Post-Gazette.

Leftwich, the team's No. 2 quarterback, was injured while scrambling on the first series of the third quarter in Saturday night's 34-16 victory against the Atlanta Falcons.
The Steelers have not updated Leftwich's condition and probably won't do so until he is fully evaluated.

Should the team hold a roster spot for him or just IR him and keep another guy on??

steelers4life66
08-29-2011, 01:17 PM
The Steelers are set at quarterback, thanks to Ben Roethlisberger, but the identity of his backup is now in question.http://i.usatoday.net/communitymanager/_photos/the-huddle/2011/08/28/byrx-inset-community.jpg (http://i.usatoday.net/communitymanager/_photos/the-huddle/2011/08/28/byrx-large.jpg)
CAPTION

By Don Wright, AP

Veteran Byron Leftwich suffered a broken left arm in Saturday's 34-16 victory vs. the Falcons. He'll likely be placed on injured reserve (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11239/1170526-66.stm) and miss the entire season, according to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.With Leftwich out of action, the battle for the No. 2 job behind Roethlisberger will be between aging Charlie Batch and fourth-year man Dennis Dixon. The two had been fighting it out for the third quarterback spot. Now both will likely make the roster.
Leftwich, getting ready to begin his ninth NFL season, had previously been a starter for the Jaguars, Falcons and Bucs. The 2003 first-round pick out of Marshall played in one game for Pittsburgh last season, his second stint with the Steelers.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2011/08/byron-leftwich-hurt/1

Zachintosh66
08-29-2011, 02:54 PM
oh great... really? taking up space. Like they did with Smith last year and was never able to play

BlitzburghRockCity
08-29-2011, 05:16 PM
Still no official word yet on if they'll put Byron on IR. I wouldn't be shocked if they started the season with just Ben and Charlie, using Ward as the emergency QB, if Lefty's healing process is a quick one.

• Steelers quarterback Byron Leftwich had surgery on his broken left arm Sunday, according to a tweet by fellow backup Charlie Batch. Leftwich, who was expected to be the No. 2 quarterback behind Ben Roethlisberger, could miss the entire season.

Read more: (http://www.steeleraddicts.com/forum/Steelers%20QB%20Leftwich%20has%20surgery%20on%20br oken%20arm%20-%20Pittsburgh%20Tribune-Review%20http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_753998.html#ixzz1WSGhhHCZ)

Zachintosh66
08-29-2011, 08:22 PM
isnt there a PUP list or something for the begining of season?

SteelerCountry58
08-29-2011, 11:13 PM
I wasn't too comfortable with Leftwich as the back up and I'm really not
comfortable with the Dixon/Batch duo. We got lucky last year when Ben
was out the first 4 games. Let's hope Ben can stay healthy and we don't
have to lean on Dixon or Batch again. Colbert better keep an eye on the
wire for a QB just in case but a decent QB could be slim pickings.

Farrior Fan
08-30-2011, 02:45 PM
If BA would let Dixon run we would be fine. Just sayin

Please let #7 stay healthy!