PDA

View Full Version : The Steelers will have to tell Aaron Smith when it's time to retire

BlitzburghRockCity
08-25-2011, 11:18 AM
Most athletes will say they will know when it's their time to quit, that no one will have to tell them. Then, someone has to tell them.

Few retire voluntarily. Lynn Swann did. Joe Greene did. Jack Ham did. Not many others did. Center Mike Webster retired from the Steelers, joined the Kansas City coaching staff, then unretired and played for the Chiefs the next two seasons. Running back Willie Parker hasn't played a regular-season NFL game since 2009, but he is trying to return and is playing for the Virginia Destroyers of the UFL. Running back Tiki Barber tried to end four years of retirement this summer at age 36, but no one wanted him.
Steelers defensive end Aaron Smith adds a new dimension, saying he will not know when it is time to quit.

"No, I don't think I'll know. They'll have to tell me. My personality is I feel I can do anything. I've always felt anything is possible; you can always turn things around. I'm kind of an optimist. Maybe, it's denial to a point. It would be hard for me to admit it to myself.

"Someone would have to say, 'Hey, Aaron, you're not doing this, you're not doing that. You need to hang it up or something.'"

No one has told Smith that yet, but, if he is true to his word, someone will have to tell him. It could come this year because, at age 35, he's closing in on that day. He had two serious arm injuries that have ruined his past two seasons. He played five games in 2009 before he had to have surgery to correct a torn rotator cuff. He played six last season before he had to have surgery to repair a torn triceps.

Smith returned to practice this week after missing about 10 days and one preseason game because of swelling in his knee. He has practiced the past two days and said he feels good, but he knows he is not immune.

"The reality of this business is at some point you have an expiration date and that expiration date comes for everybody, some sooner, some later," said Smith as he enters his 13th season with the Steelers. "It is a reality in this business. I'll deal with it when it comes; until then, I don't think I've reached my expiration point."
His teammates would like to see him have a healthy, full season for a change.
"I love being on the field with him," said Brett Keisel, the team's other starting defensive end. "It's just been different. We're used to his leadership and stuff out there. That's what we're praying for this year, that he can have a good, solid 16 games."

Until the 2009 season, Smith was regarded as an iron man . He became a starter in 2000, his second season when he started 15 of 16 games. He started every game the next six seasons except one in which he played but did not start. He missed five games in '07, when his biceps were torn, but he bounced back to start every game in '08 on the way to the Steelers Super Bowl victory.

"Believe me, I was his backup for four years; I know," Keisel said. "He'd never come off the field. He's one of the toughest players you'll ever meet. It's great to have him back."

From the PG (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11237/1169751-66-0.stm#ixzz1W3Af6w3y)

Black@Gold Forever32
08-25-2011, 12:44 PM
I love Aaron Smith and to me he is on the Mount Rushmore of Steelers greats in my era.....Again I say my era so I don't want the older fanbase to get upset....But this is his last year with the Steelers since he is in the final year of his contract.....I love the guy and he is warrior but there is not a chance the Steelers give him a new contract next year......

jpele
08-25-2011, 12:56 PM
I love the guy and he is warrior but there is not a chance the Steelers give him a new contract next year......

Sad but true, I only hope he stays healthy and get to go out on top.

Black@Gold Forever32
08-25-2011, 01:05 PM
Sad but true, I only hope he stays healthy and get to go out on top.

I'm with you since Aaron Smith deserves it so much.......:yellowthumb: I still think he can be a beast for the Steelers especially if his role is reduced this year.....

andyg1984
08-25-2011, 01:52 PM
yea, one of the steeler greats of the last decade, nice luxury to have but far from essential this year ..

steelersbabex25
08-25-2011, 02:19 PM
One of the most underrated players ever. When experts talked about great linemen it was always Justin Tuck, Trent Cole, Osi Umenyiora, etc etc. Never heard anyone talk about how great Aaron Smith is. When he's healthy, he's one of if not the most important players on our defense.

andyg1984
08-25-2011, 02:30 PM
imo he used to be underrated.. im not sure any1 would leave him out of the conversation of the best 3-4 DL of the last decade and that has been the case for at least 3-4 years, but he is definitely a class below DL in general like Strahan, Freeny

Black@Gold Forever32
08-25-2011, 02:31 PM
One of the most underrated players ever. When experts talked about great linemen it was always Justin Tuck, Trent Cole, Osi Umenyiora, etc etc. Never heard anyone talk about how great Aaron Smith is. When he's healthy, he's one of if not the most important players on our defense.

The guys you mention play a 4-3 and get the sacks which gets them the attention......The sad thing about 3-4 DL they do the dirty work needed to allow the LB's to get the sacks and the glory.....But Smith in his prime could put up 5-8 sacks a season which isn't bad for a 3-4 DL.....Smith to me belongs in the top 5 DL of the 2000's and was the best 3-4 DE.........He has been a monster against the run and is damn good pass rusher in his own right....Really the complete package but what is unfortunate I doubt he makes the Hall of Fame even though I think he deserves it........

andyg1984
08-25-2011, 02:34 PM
you think he is a) better than seymour and B) does seymour get in in less than 10 years?

i agree the voters are not gaga over 3-4 DL ..

BlitzburghRockCity
08-25-2011, 02:35 PM
I think it will Aaron's last year with the team as well. If he, God forbid, gets injured again this season then it will definitely be his last year.

If he stays healthy though and plays like the Aaron we are used to seeing, don't be surprised if the team offers him a 1 or 2 yr deal to stick around.

Ziggy Hood is ready to step up and take control of that position, but Aaron won't just hand it over to him. It's a good problem to have right now. You all are right, Smith is on the Mt. Rushmore of Steeler defenders. A legend in the 34 defense and one of the best lineman ever to play that position.

andyg1984
08-25-2011, 04:36 PM
i really dnt see re-signing smith as a remote possibility .. dont you think we are going to see ziggy more at NT this year and long-term?

Black@Gold Forever32
08-25-2011, 04:44 PM
I really think Hood will lineup at NT and DE at times going forward.......

connecticutsteel
08-25-2011, 05:59 PM
I really like Ziggy at nose he's fast off the ball that would be the optimum personel this year .Would be keisel ZIGGY heyward / smith when big snak is out of the game . they will offer Smith a 1 yr deal if he plays every game

STEELyourface
08-25-2011, 07:13 PM
If he stays healthy though and plays like the Aaron we are used to seeing, don't be surprised if the team offers him a 1 or 2 yr deal to stick around.

I can see that happening. I made the same comment in another thread. I'm not saying it will happen and I'm not advocating it either just saying, don't be surprised.........

andyg1984
08-25-2011, 07:50 PM
i would be seriously surprised ... if that were to happen he better take the biggest hometown discount of all-time .. and i really mean a MONSTER discount .. like nick eason $

wrong direction ..

BlacknGold Bleeder
08-26-2011, 01:25 AM
If he stays healthy he will get some kind of offer unless he chooses or "told its time to retire"

scott0326
08-26-2011, 05:28 AM
I really like Smith.. I hope we win it all this year and Smith decides to retire on top, it would be a nice way for him to end his career.

harpo
08-26-2011, 09:52 AM
They'll tell him when it's time to go. They won't offer him another contract, which would be a smart business decision.

K Train
08-26-2011, 11:50 AM
once upon a time he was underrated, then he was underrated so long that he became rated just fine...never liked seymour being ranked above him, but seymour could play nose and played UT in a 43 too so i get it. smith is a rare master of the 5 tech position, he NEVER ****s up, everything he does on the field is perfect

id like to keep him around a year or two as a rotational guy, he needs to take a healthy paycut though