PDA

View Full Version : Sanders hopes to be ready for opening weekend

BlitzburghRockCity
08-25-2011, 11:14 AM
Emmanuel Sanders was on the field on a limited basis Wednesday for the second consecutive day but won't play against Atlanta on Saturday and likely will miss the preseason finale in Carolina.

Still, the Steelers receiver said his injured left foot will be ready enough for the season opener at Baltimore.

"I'm feeling good, really good, actually," Sanders said. "I practiced, doing some individual work, and it felt pretty good out there.''
Sanders broke his right foot in Super Bowl XLV and learned in April he had a stress fracture in his left foot that required minor surgery three weeks ago.
"The X-rays show that everything is healing as expected, and I'm right on schedule for me to play in that first game," Sanders said. "I'll just continue to do a little bit more every day and keep picking up the pace of my workouts, and we'll see where I'm at in another two weeks."

Sanders has been running without pain and hopes to take part in team drills next week.

>> Cornerback Bryant McFadden hopes to play Saturday after sitting out the first two preseason games with a hamstring injury.
"I'm planning on it," McFadden said. "I am not quite a 100 percent to date, but I still have a few more days before the game. I feel like I am making a lot of progress."
McFadden practiced Wednesday without a setback.

Read more: (http://www.steeleraddicts.com/forum/Steelers%27%20Sanders%20is%20optimistic%20about%20 opener%20-%20Pittsburgh%20Tribune-Review%20http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_753278.html#ixzz1W39vf4H9)

andyg1984
08-25-2011, 11:18 AM
good to hear although i would not be surprised if he had a better 2012

Rampage
08-25-2011, 11:51 AM
Hopefully he is ready. The o-line will still be a question mark, so the more receiving threats that Ben has that can actually get open quickly, the better.

cmerrifield
08-25-2011, 11:57 AM
I am not super worried about him. I think that Brown and Cotchery are viable 3 and 4 receivers if he is not, and actually hoping Grisham makes the team and gets some playing time if Sanders isnt ready. I just hope he fully recovers. I am more concerned about long term effects more than a few games this season.

Black@Gold Forever32
08-25-2011, 12:54 PM
I know he wants to get back on the field but really I hope he just continues to take it slow and just get 100% healthy.....With Brown's emergence and the signing of Cotchery really allows Sanders to continue to take it slow.....Come back fully healthy and be a monster mid season and beyond.......

Steelers_All_Day_43
08-25-2011, 12:59 PM
I hope he's ready. I think if he stays healthy he'll be a better player than AB

BlitzburghRockCity
08-25-2011, 04:42 PM
With all the depth at WR right now, him rushing back is definitely not a good idea. The Steelers can survive without him for the time being if they need too. If he comes back too soon and makes his foot worse it could be detrimental for the whole season. Let him take the time to get better now so he's healthy for the long term.

With Cotchery in the fold and Antonio Brown playing so well, they can afford to let Manny sit for awhile. That being said, he's an explosive player and I can't wait to see him on the field.

Black@Gold Forever32
08-25-2011, 04:48 PM
I agree Matt, he is explosive and I can't wait to see him either......But no need to rush him like we both said......I think Manny being hurt might be a good thing since he could be fresh for mid-season or late in the season.......

steelersbabex25
08-25-2011, 05:05 PM
Hope when he comes back he can do crazy **** like this...(nevermind the score)

wLMj495pawo

STEELyourface
08-25-2011, 05:35 PM
I wonder if he is or will be trying to rush himself back because he's worried about falling behind.

LatrobePA
08-25-2011, 07:49 PM
I think he's gonna miss some time...

BlitzburghRockCity
08-25-2011, 10:22 PM
I wonder if he is or will be trying to rush himself back because he's worried about falling behind.

He and Antonio Brown are good friends, and they both thrive on competition. If you remember last year, Tomlin put them against each other each week in practice and the one that had the better week got the start. Sanders was regularly in the lineup each week especially in the 2nd half of the season and really started to show what he's capable of.

I'm sure the coaches are urging him to sit tight and get better, that's why Tomlin shut him down when his foot started acting up. Knowing the type of competitor that he is from what we've seen I'm sure he's trying to push to get back as soon as he can.

STEELyourface
08-25-2011, 10:30 PM
He and Antonio Brown are good friends, and they both thrive on competition. If you remember last year, Tomlin put them against each other each week in practice and the one that had the better week got the start. Sanders was regularly in the lineup each week especially in the 2nd half of the season and really started to show what he's capable of.

I'm sure the coaches are urging him to sit tight and get better, that's why Tomlin shut him down when his foot started acting up. Knowing the type of competitor that he is from what we've seen I'm sure he's trying to push to get back as soon as he can.

For sure, you just see a lot of guys concerned about losing their spot or PT and they rush back ultimately doing themselves (and the team) a disservice. I think he can afford to sit tight and heal properly. I don't know about you, but I see room for both these guys on the team for years to come despite the similarities.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-25-2011, 11:19 PM
Oh there is no doubt, both guys are going to be a big part of the future on the Steelers. Once Hines hangs it up they'll be even more important. I wouldn't mind seeing Hines take a bit of a lesser role to get Sanders and Brown on the field more. You know Ward will always be ready, and his talents are still needed, but the more experience these young guys get the better we'll be.

harpo
08-26-2011, 10:02 AM
I hope he's ready. I think if he stays healthy he'll be a better player than AB

What??? Better than AB???? That's blasphemy!!!!

Antonio Brown is the best WR in the game!!!!

Ok, i'm only professing my "man-love" for Antonio Brown....don't take it personal....lol